Powerless bolting

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should you be able to bolt and unbolt an unpowered airlock?

Yes
28%
No
39%
Other
33%

Total votes: 18

Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Powerless bolting

Post by Scott » #147114

Gameplay vs Realism - Applies to hacking and silicon operating

Other solutions?
Last edited by Scott on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Powerless bolting

Post by Saegrimr » #147115

For silicons? No.
Hacking, maybe. With a crowbar/wrench and some wind up time to manually lift the bolts.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #147116

Yeah silicons shouldn't be able ot bolt/unbolt without door power. Humans should with hacking.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #147117

Can you still use eswords to cut door bolts?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147118

nope that got removed for some stupid reason. It was probably paprika.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #147119

Borgs should be able to if they interface directly with the airlock.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #147122

You can currently only remove a depowered/bolted airlock by using an RCD or explosives right?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #147125

I think it is fine the way it is, not everything in this game needs to be super easy to do. Just decon a wall if you need to get around one in a hurry
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147126

It's a problem on the new box AI core because everything is rwalls.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #147131

Wyzack wrote:I think it is fine the way it is, not everything in this game needs to be super easy to do. Just decon a wall if you need to get around one in a hurry
This has let to some stupid shit, such as borgs spamming walls of bolted doors during malf because without RCD they are harder to destroy than even reinforced walls.

Perhaps welders should be able to cut bolts with a sizeable delay (1-2 minutes or so).
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #147269

Give engineering access to some heavy duty bolt cutters to cut into bolted airlocks/steal bicycles with.

Other than that... RCDs aren't exactly rare, so don't be a lazy fuck and acquire one before assaulting the AI core. :roll:
This has let to some stupid shit, such as borgs spamming walls of bolted doors during malf because without RCD they are harder to destroy than even reinforced walls.
They have done that since the dawn of time. And it rarely saved the AI against a competent crew - quite the opposite actually.
> watching borg through camera: 'AIRLOCKS IN AI CORE, AI MILFFFF!!1'.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #147313

Saegrimr wrote:For silicons? No.
Hacking, maybe. With a crowbar/wrench and some wind up time to manually lift the bolts.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #147530

If it's really a problem then give Engineering some heavy duty bolt cutters with spares orderable from cargo.

Please, please, *please* don't give any to science. They already have enough answers to almost any situation as it is.

That said, I like to mix it up a notch with energy shields and field generators. Nothing funnier than watching some goyim rush through the (apparently) all-access airlock only to get bounced back out by the emitter-powered field generator
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #147541

Anonmare wrote:If it's really a problem then give Engineering some heavy duty bolt cutters with spares orderable from cargo.

Please, please, *please* don't give any to science. They already have enough answers to almost any situation as it is.

That said, I like to mix it up a notch with energy shields and field generators. Nothing funnier than watching some goyim rush through the (apparently) all-access airlock only to get bounced back out by the emitter-powered field generator
Just give the bolt cutting abillity to welders, simple and effective.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #147542

Do you really want permanently broken bolts on doors, or disabled until power is restored?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #147547

Is this seriously necessary, to have a quick and easy solution to everything? Bolted doors are supposed to be a hinderance.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #147553

Saegrimr wrote:Do you really want permanently broken bolts on doors, or disabled until power is restored?
Yes.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #147554

ShadowDimentio wrote:Is this seriously necessary, to have a quick and easy solution to everything? Bolted doors are supposed to be a hinderance.
RCD is already a completely easy way to remove them. In my opinion way too much emphasize is put on having a RCD to solve every problem.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #147573

If a door has been depowered you can just cut and remend the test wire to repower it, then unbolt it though.

This should only ever be an issue if enviro power at the apc is turned off.