plasmemen helmets

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

plasmemen helmets

Post by PKPenguin321 » #161667

Plasmamen helmets obscure their headsets, meaning unless you have an EMP you can't reliably disable their comms without igniting them (which most often kills them). This super cucked me when I was a shadowling one time (actually I ended up doing well after that, but the plasmadude died so I guess it actually super cucked him), so in a way this is kinda i ded pls nerf.

tl;dr: put the headsets outside the plasmaman helmet so they can be stripped without killing the fucker
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: plasmemen helmets

Post by Luke Cox » #161671

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, plasmamen are supposed to be incredibly fragile. On the other hand, being able to hide a headset is arguably an advantage, and plasmamen should be at a disadvantage wherever possible. I guess it depends on whichever is the bigger disadvantage.
ATDoop
Byond Username: ATDoop

Post by ATDoop » #161852

Plasmaman helmets are also immune to flashes, because of the whole welding thing. That means they can't be converted by revs.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #161853

ATDoop wrote:Plasmaman helmets are also immune to flashes, because of the whole welding thing. That means they can't be converted by revs.
Yes this cucked me yesterday, tried to convert a plasmamen, flash does nothing he goes on to scream how I am a revhead.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #161864

So the same reason the plasmaman jumpsuit is a jumpsuit and not an exosuit. Can be solved by making it a plasmaman facewrap or something and going in the mask slot. That way you can equip headgear like welding helmets.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #161865

Or just make welding goggles printable in the autolathe and remove their weld/flash protection.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #161870

That wont fix obscured headsets either.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #161877

Or just don't introduce snowflake races like we already said a million times.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #161878

Make the helmet a mask item. Has the added benefit of preventing them from wearing welding goggles or concealing their faces.
CPTANT wrote:Or just don't introduce snowflake races like we already said a million times.
Normally I'd agree, but Plasmaman is SS13 hardmode. Playing one is meant to be absolute hell.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #162036

Just set them on fire

who would want a plasmaman thrall anyway

On a more serious note I don't see the issue with this - you will have to approach different species differently.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #162099

oranges wrote:Just set them on fire

who would want a plasmaman thrall anyway

On a more serious note I don't see the issue with this - you will have to approach different species differently.
the thing is that there is no approach because attempting to convert them results in accidental murder, especially in rev
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #162119

I'm honestly not bothered by this although I see what you mean.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #162184

Always having welding protection does seem kinda silly. Can we make it a visor or something that darkens the mask and gives them welding overlay, removing their rev immunity unless they wanna walk around blind.

Making the ear piece always visible would be a must though
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #162200

*LOUD SIGH*

The reason we switched to jumpsuits for Plasmamen during the design phase was because it was just more intuitive and easier to make work. It also makes it so that they can be searched without them bursting into flames. My coder was SUPPOSED to make it so that their headsets/eyewear etc. could be searched through the helmet as well, but that never happened. I'll add it to the list of things to fix, as that should absolutely be searchable without putting sec/a sling in the tight spot of, "Do I want to search/strip this guy more than I want him to not be on fire?"

Personally, I have no problem with the flash/welding protection, it's one of the few holdovers from their old helmets (which also had inbuilt lights, RIP). Lorewise they're a mostly nonviolent race so having them not participate as a rev is just fine, and it means they're 10x more likely to get ganked by revs anyway, which is hardly an advantage. I'm not too keen on removing it because someone made the mistake of trying to flash them without knowing that they have protection.

I do like Davidchan's idea of having it be toggleable though, that's something I could potentially look into in the future. I am going to focus on getting the major issues like them being eternal fire hazards, and being unable to search/strip their headset, fixed first.
ImageImage
Spoiler: