Ripley Kinetic Accelerator

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Ripley Kinetic Accelerator

Post by starmute » #162411

Ripley needs new stuff to keep it viable. Currently a miner is much better at fighting wildlife, this makes making a ripley moot.

Current ideas
  • Kinetic Accelerator Kit
    Puts a large KA on the Ripley
  • Kinetic Smash kit
    Puts a "punch" mechanism on the Ripley
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Ripley Kinetic Accelerator

Post by Gun Hog » #162417

This belongs in Ideas, not Feedback.

Have you tried installing a plasma cutter on your Ripley? That being said, it is something I could consider coding if someone does not beat me to it first. Even after this, they would still be underused for the following reasons:

- Very slow while on the station, making delivery and offloading a major pain.
- Worthless in a fight until upgraded with a repair droid and goliath plating.
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #162419

Gun Hog wrote:This belongs in Ideas, not Feedback.

Have you tried installing a plasma cutter on your Ripley? That being said, it is something I could consider coding if someone does not beat me to it first. Even after this, they would still be underused for the following reasons:

- Very slow while on the station, making delivery and offloading a major pain.
- Worthless in a fight until upgraded with a repair droid and goliath plating.

I guess I thought it deserved to be in feedback due to the fact that new mining took over old mining, and now ripleys are moot. Then again I really don't know.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #162424

Got my hopes up.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #162446

Mech gear to make RIPLEYs able to compete with Hypers and Sonic Jackhammers would be nice. Heavy Plasma cutter is something I've only used once, and it was pretty disappointing. Did pretty poor damage, heavily drained my power cell, and because of the way RIPLEYs function the ore isn't gathered. An Ore Scoop to suck up nearby ore would be nice as well.

Depends on how we make the Mech KA function, since mech gear is supposed to be more effective than foot gear to make up for the clumsiness of a mech ontop of the power drain.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #162479

Davidchan wrote:Mech gear to make RIPLEYs able to compete with Hypers and Sonic Jackhammers would be nice. Heavy Plasma cutter is something I've only used once, and it was pretty disappointing. Did pretty poor damage, heavily drained my power cell, and because of the way RIPLEYs function the ore isn't gathered. An Ore Scoop to suck up nearby ore would be nice as well.

Depends on how we make the Mech KA function, since mech gear is supposed to be more effective than foot gear to make up for the clumsiness of a mech ontop of the power drain.
If you have a clamp and an ore box in the cargo hold, you will automatically collect the ore by walking over to it. I can look at balancing the plasma cutter a bit better as well.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #162483

Gun Hog wrote:If you have a clamp and an ore box in the cargo hold, you will automatically collect the ore by walking over to it. I can look at balancing the plasma cutter a bit better as well.
I'll have to test this again, but last I checked the ore box in the cargo bay only collects when you drill. Thought it's been a while since I used a Ripley since most Roboticists don't properly outfit them and think a Clamp and Drill is acceptable to give to miners after receiving resources.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #162492

A mining Ripley needs a mining tool, a clamp and an ore scanner; it then has three other slots. If you're using one on a plasma power generator and one on a repair droid, that's one left for another item - a mech KA would go well here, since the mech plasma cutter doesn't really do anything.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #162501

You could up the plasma cutter's damage multiplier in low pressure atmos to 4 instead of 3.

This would mean:
Standard and advanced plasma cutters deal 20 brute.
Mech plasma cutters deal 40 brute.
KAP
Byond Username: Kaptin alexander

Post by KAP » #162777

The problem with Riplies, is that in our current mining, they're a liability.

They don't move like they did on the asteroid because there's still a low amount of atmosphere. Also means that they don't drill at the same speed, and likely the plasma cutter doesn't do damage like it used to either.

Top it off with the fact that even while you're in the mech, you still get reckt by the ash storms. When you need speed to reach safety, it's just not a wise choice to take a Ripley for mining anymore.

And you don't need the mining scanner, an advanced scanner works while your in the Riply as well, and leaves you an extra slot for something.
LordZalgo
Byond Username: LordZalgo

Post by LordZalgo » #166820

Ripleys are immune to ash storms now, but i do believe they require the accelerator to remain relevant in Lavaland. If you try to fight a Legion on lavaland with a ripley, you will get torn apart. They move about the same speed as you do, their nature as cowards means you can never drill them, you deal less damage, and their skull offspring tear your ripley to shreds before you know it.

I'd go so far as to say it should be a hyper kinetic accelerator, with the 3x3 area and everything. That way the ripley can handle greater numbers of enemies while they're bunched up as they tend to be sometimes and can keep up their mining ability regardless of the higher pressure compared to the old mining causing it to move more slowly. I can deal with it being on the slow side as long as it can effectively defend itself, and against current threats, it struggles where a veteran miner thrives. If it's meant to be better than a lone miner as to further encourage cooperation between mining and research, it ought to be able to hold its own.

That being said, to balance this a bit, you may also be able to have the accelerator require some additional materials so the miners are encouraged to at least bring back one or two hauls before they cast off for high adventure in their big stompy mech.