Buff blob.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Buff blob.

Post by Bluespace » #162683

I've played blob 3 times in the past week or so.
Blobs have become piss-easy to just murder now. No matter where you pop, no matter how much time you have you WILL die to:
1)A bad chemical. If you roll a chemical with low damage you die. A blob that can't kill things dies easy.
2)Xrays. Pop in cargo or science or you die. Simple.
3)Welding tool rushes. I've seen countless blobs die to assistants with welders. You /neeeeeed/ to be able to kill these people.
4)Lack of resources. You seem to get hardly any resources while the crew is printing masses of welding tools.

Blob right now entirely relies on how competent the crew is, with about 20% relying on how the blob plays.
Blobbernauts are a waste of resources since they die so quick.
Blobs can no longer sabotage as a human before they pop.

TL;DR: Blobs are dying continually please buff them so 3 assistants with a welder can't kill them.
I play Boris Pepper.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Buff blob.

Post by Zilenan91 » #162688

>blobbernauts a waste of resources

Get good man. Blob is really easy, you just need to know strategy. There's a reason that people say Blob is EZmode RTS.

A good tip is putting your core in unconventional places. Don't throw that shit down in science or mining, maybe throw that shit down in xenobio maint or arrivals maint, nobody will ever meta that a blob will pop there because it's not near science or cargo.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #162705

Yeah blob really isn't that hard if you don't get caught that early, atmos is also pretty good and if you have access to an EVA suit you can pop on some really interesting places once you put down some floor tiles

Edit: WOOPS almost forgot about new blob deploying which makes sabotage easier, makes the game mode less interesting as a whole IMO though.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #162709

Wait, can you pop on the AI satellite? Even pop right in front of the AI?
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #162710

I am telling you from personal experience of both observing and playing blob recently that blob is absolutely NOT good right now.
I play Boris Pepper.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #162712

But bluespace, I too observed and played blob, and have a different opinion than you!

Is it possible we've had different experiences?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #162720

Not counting when the bombing the blob meme existed, I've won all but one blob round I've played as the blob, and the one I lost was VERY close. The whole thing is really about basic strategy, and if you've ever played an RTS like Starcraft or really anything like that it's the simplest thing in the world.

Some people are just bad at Blob/RTS games in general really. Nothing could really help them with that, not even minimaps, and if Blobs were ever given a minimap they would be the most broken shit ever because they'd have instant awareness of anyone near them at all times and be able to instantly respond to these threats.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #162724

What if we replaced Blob with Monkey Fever instead?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #162726

Zilenan91 wrote:Not counting when the bombing the blob meme existed, I've won all but one blob round I've played as the blob, and the one I lost was VERY close. The whole thing is really about basic strategy, and if you've ever played an RTS like Starcraft or really anything like that it's the simplest thing in the world.

Some people are just bad at Blob/RTS games in general really. Nothing could really help them with that, not even minimaps, and if Blobs were ever given a minimap they would be the most broken shit ever because they'd have instant awareness of anyone near them at all times and be able to instantly respond to these threats.
There have been multiple "tweaks" and nerfs to blob in the past 16 days that have caused blob winrate to plummet drastically.
I wholeheartedly invite you to observe and play blob rounds if possible with medium-high pop.
Unless the blob rolls a high damage chemical, they're highly likely to die.
I play Boris Pepper.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #162728

That's because people are bad. They burst in areas like RnD or directly inside of mining which is fucking terrible because you have zero time to build up. People just aren't smart.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #162759

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Edit: WOOPS almost forgot about new blob deploying which makes sabotage easier, makes the game mode less interesting as a whole IMO though.
agreed, this change made blob way way way less engaging. basically the only variety between blobs aside from checimals (which provide minimal variety at best since basically all of them have the end result of "it kills you") was what the blob dudes did before popping
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #162776

We need to introduce more tacticool ways to fight blobs so that there are other ways to dance than "get xrays"
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #162807

Used to like blob, not so much anymore. Resource acquisition is slow and buggy (thanks beyond 5ime) so it can take 3 or more minutes with multiple resource blobs to get a factory or node out when it shouldn't take more than 45 seconds.

Needing to spend resources to attack with blob tiles is also annoying, expanding I can understand but retaliating against some with a cake hat? Come on.

Imo, blob resource rate should be increased and the win condition as well (300 tiles won't even fill most departments.)

Xrays should be blocked by r-blob walls so blobs can defend against them,all other blob tiles would still allow pass through.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #162808

Ideally you win as a blob before xrays come out. The key currently is getting blobbernauts and having those guys make the hits for you. You don't even really need a decent chem for that strat either, it works for pretty much everything. You only really want to blob attack if there's people with energy weapons, otherwise it's mostly a waste.

Also if you see a node or any other kind of special blob getting hit TOSS DOWN STRONG BLOBS SPAM BLOB PIECES RALLY SPORES ON THAT MOTHERFUCKER YOU CANNOT LOSE IT
Especially when you're small, if you lose a node you are fucked six ways from sunday, you will not have the time or additional resources to replace that shit so you need to treat it like it's a precious mineral and save that shit no matter the cost.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #162817

I've seen blobs win under xray barrages and with blobers the chances are better because most people are looking our for themselves primarily and will xray the naut. Bit more of a grind but it can be done with aggressive harassment to move them out of prime firing positions.

More concerned about the rushes which have gotten more prevalent might need to slightly increase the base resource gain to make the early game less of pain, I mean the find blob early its doomed thing is pretty stale.
fofofo21
Byond Username: Fofofo21

Post by fofofo21 » #162820

If you die as blob you suck :shades:
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #162823

but x-rays can be done in 5 minutes
it is said to be a "round-ender" but if people make an effort it's just done before you get to 4 nodes assuming you dont have to spend res on attacking
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #162828

Just like security needs to put effort into taking cargo in a normal rev round, in a normal blob round effort needs to be spent destroying RnD's ability to make x ray guns. This isn't necessarily a problem so long as it's clear to blobs, and it can be done in a number of ways: breaking the laboratory itself, consuming security's supplies of firing pins and loyalty implants, or eating the cargo shuttle's consoles and docking port. All of these have other benefits, too: security blobs will be able to eat almost all the initial laser guns, a big early game threat to blob, cargo blobs will be able to prevent more laser guns, emitters, and other weapons being ordered, and should also be able to take out mining, while science blobs get to remove slimes, cyborgs, and bombs from the picture if they're clever about it. The game mode still has variety, it's just that it requires a slightly smarter early play to account for guns now that people are more used to rushing for them.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #162844

I really dislike the random chem system for blobs.

It simply introduces a random variability into the game mode. Its so much easier to figure out what to do when its just a green default Blob, not one of 50 thousand different chemical combination's with 100 thousand different colours that are all on the wiki or are given a brief description if you examine one.

Many time's I've heard of people saying their blob round was fucked when they rolled for a shit chemical.

Chemical Blob was a mistake.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #162922

Maybe letting them shop chems with the objectively better ones having higher prices would help. Random reroll is like a prayer.

Or let them know their first chemical before they plop down. Burning oil is a whole different matter when your start is surrounded by ample space tiles. If you knew you were the fire starter you would probably plop is a a more open location.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #162925

They already get one free reroll afaik
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #162926

Choice over random.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #162973

Incomptinence wrote:Maybe letting them shop chems with the objectively better ones having higher prices would help. Random reroll is like a prayer.

Or let them know their first chemical before they plop down. Burning oil is a whole different matter when your start is surrounded by ample space tiles. If you knew you were the fire starter you would probably plop is a a more open location.
They do actually get to know their chemical before they place, it's in both the message and when they talk.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #163035

The fact that people feel the need to re-roll so much more or less shows we need to rebalance hte chems
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #163049

Davidchan wrote:The fact that people feel the need to re-roll so much more or less shows we need to rebalance hte chems
It doesn't matter what they do so much as the fact that if any chemical changes how people act towards the blob the act of forcing them to switch up what they're doing is valuable.
Knaive
Byond Username: Knaive

Post by Knaive » #163066

what if all blobs started out as plain blob, and then with enough power you can pick a chemical
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #163067

That would be better but then we would need to have a good re balancing off all the blob chemical to ensure all of them are balanced alongside each other.

There's no point offering the illusion of a choice when everyone's going to pick the meta chemical, which will then get nerfed, thus the cycle repeats.

I still think removing blob chemicals is the best way forward. Just because you can do something does not mean you need to, and I don't think blob ever needed a chemical system.