Chemistry grenades are almost never used

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Chemistry grenades are almost never used

Post by CPTANT » #168096

Chemistry grenades are way too weak for how much effort they cost to make and how cumbersome they are to use. When was the last time you were killed by a grenade?

Basically chemistry is barely worth it at all for offensive purposes. Almost the only practical use is shooting wizards with lexorin/cyanide darts.

Why spend ages brewing poison when you can get vastly superior poison way more easy by buying a poison kit? (yes not everyone is a traitor, but it shows the discrepancy)

exception are bluespace beaker bombs, but that is a science's toy, not chemistries.

I suggest picking some of these suggestions:

Scrap using large beakers and beakers in grenades, only allow bottle's but increase the potency by 2 or 3 times.
Make wire fuses a bit less random.
Give chemistry more potent poisons to brew, potentially requiers resources from other departments.
Make basic recipes less tedious to make.
Remove the explosion delay on black powder, let black powder spawn smoke to keep it distinct.
Reduce the amount of corn syrup you need for nitroglycerin because now it is ridiculous.

There are probably some of you who claim to be super 1337 with chemistry, but the truth is that it's just almost never used, and when it IS used it is a minor threat, especially compared to what other departments have.

Feel free to make other suggestions or share your opinions.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Chemistry grenades are almost never used

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #168097

Bring back smoke
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #168098

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Bring back smoke
Ohw yeah, and that.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #168099

Chemistry doesn't get used not because it's too weak, but because people are incredibly lazy. An incredibly simple 180 phlog grenade(60u phos/30u stable plasma in one beaker and 30u stable plasma/60u sulphuric acid in the other) can burn the entire escape shuttle and kill everyone onboard with no problem. You guys literally just need to git gud
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #168100

CPTANT wrote:Chemistry grenades are way too weak for how much effort they cost to make and how cumbersome they are to use.
Are you serious? Grenade assemblies are super simple and modular. If you're a botanist trying to ghetto chem grenade then yeah its not supposed to be easy.
Wires fuses are SUPPOSED to be ghetto, use a fucking timer if you want an accurate timer.
Nitro is already the strongest explosive compound you can get. Just no.
CPTANT wrote:When was the last time you were killed by a grenade?
Fucking yesterday by a hallway consuming hellfoam. Nobody escaped that shit. At least 14 people dead.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #168101

I've seen a couple of nearly maxcap (4/10/19) grenades go off recently as well, wiping out the shuttle and brig.

Sure acid smoke sucks now, but you can still make really deadly foam/bomb/inferno grenades.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #168103

Kor wrote:I've seen a couple of nearly maxcap (4/10/19) grenades go off recently as well, wiping out the shuttle and brig.

Sure acid smoke sucks now, but you can still make really deadly foam/bomb/inferno grenades.
4/10/19 grenades are almost certainly bluespace beakers. 2 large beakers worth of nitroglycerin makes a 3/7/14 iirc.

Wires fuses are SUPPOSED to be ghetto, use a fucking timer if you want an accurate timer.
Then give the chemist a limited amount of those in chemistry.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #168104

Shaps wrote:Chemistry doesn't get used not because it's too weak, but because people are incredibly lazy. An incredibly simple 180 phlog grenade(60u phos/30u stable plasma in one beaker and 30u stable plasma/60u sulphuric acid in the other) can burn the entire escape shuttle and kill everyone onboard with no problem. You guys literally just need to git gud
You are not going to kill an entire shuttle with that at all. People just move away from the fireball and the flame and heat dissipate relatively quickly.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #168105

CPTANT wrote:Then give the chemist a limited amount of those in chemistry.
Or take a hike down to tool storage to grab a couple for The Big One that you want to go off at exactly the right time.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #168128

I like acid buff
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #168131

CPTANT wrote:
Shaps wrote:Chemistry doesn't get used not because it's too weak, but because people are incredibly lazy. An incredibly simple 180 phlog grenade(60u phos/30u stable plasma in one beaker and 30u stable plasma/60u sulphuric acid in the other) can burn the entire escape shuttle and kill everyone onboard with no problem. You guys literally just need to git gud
You are not going to kill an entire shuttle with that at all. People just move away from the fireball and the flame and heat dissipate relatively quickly.
No, I've successfully purged all life on the escape shuttle with phlog grenades multiple times. Why just yesterday I found a xeno nest in maint west of medbay, ran out and made a phlog grenade withing 45 seconds (including grabbing beakers from the public lathe) and chucked it into maint, which lit everything the fuck up. I went back into maint 3 minutes later to find the fire still burning, and almost died to the heat within 20 seconds of exposure before I saved myself with a burn patch.

Phlog ain't nothing to fuck with
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #168137

phlog is the 2nd most mixed chem on the server atm, just below unstable mutagen.

Have you guys tried chemfoam recently?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #168169

i've never made phlog before. sometimes i use cf3 to burn a man on fire. sometimes also i use darts of poison chemistry murder is fun

still i wish to melt face of acid
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #168171

A good weak acid would at least break the mask so smoke could put other chemicals inside people.

Really non hellshit or bomb grenades just need a vehicle to get inside people using bargain basement gear they spawn with.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #168176

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Bring back smoke
Who's the limp dick shit eating faggot who took away my blood smoke prank grenades?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #168246

When in doubt, it's Goof.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #168264

I'm not sure if it was a chemist (im pretty sure it was) or a lavaland meme, but someone tossed a chem nade out this week that:

1) Ate the floor

2) Anyone who walked onto affected tiles would be lit on fire

3) Slipped people

Incredibly robust. You get slipped, start burning to death, and the suction from missing floor tiles would continue to slip you. Absolutely glorious.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #168267

Ok chlorine trifluor was recently buffed by goof and it is now indeed hardcore deadly.

You know what, the pyrotechnics are all fine. Its the poisons and smoke that suck.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #168270

Stack poisons nerd, even a syringe of cyanide by itself is lethal if they don't get help. Throw in some liquid plasma and they're a goner.

Edit: The above mix results in crit in 45 seconds and death not too long after, and since they get slowed down within a few seconds from damage, they have nowhere near enough time to crawl to medbay. Hit them in maint or arrivals and they're toast
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #168273

Shaps wrote:Stack poisons nerd, even a syringe of cyanide by itself is lethal if they don't get help. Throw in some liquid plasma and they're a goner.

Edit: The above mix results in crit in 45 seconds and death not too long after, and since they get slowed down within a few seconds from damage, they have nowhere near enough time to crawl to medbay. Hit them in maint or arrivals and they're toast
no shit sherlock, but you can get the extreme turbo poisons that are a complete order of magnitude above that stuff by just taking a poison kit.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #168275

iamgoofball wrote:phlog is the 2nd most mixed chem on the server atm, just below unstable mutagen.

is F O A M E S T R Y back?????
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #168280

CPTANT wrote:
Shaps wrote:Stack poisons nerd, even a syringe of cyanide by itself is lethal if they don't get help. Throw in some liquid plasma and they're a goner.

no shit sherlock, but you can get the extreme turbo poisons that are a complete order of magnitude above that stuff by just taking a poison kit.
It's almost like traitor items are more lethal and convenient than stuff that you can get for free?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #168301

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:phlog is the 2nd most mixed chem on the server atm, just below unstable mutagen.

is F O A M E S T R Y back?????
Yeah, the same change that made conveyor belts actually useful also made foam spread and process really fast.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #168305

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #168318

iamgoofball wrote:Yeah, the same change that made conveyor belts actually useful also made foam spread and process really fast.
Huh, I was wondering why conveyor belts were hilariously difficult to escape from lately. Neat.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #168320

Shaps wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

It's almost like traitor items are more lethal and convenient than stuff that you can get for free?
Uhm, No?
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #168478

The last grenade I used was way back with oldchem and acid smoke was king. I was the CMO, I hid behind a potted plant with a chloral syringe gun. When the clown came by I shot him and drug him back to surgery. Put anesthetic on him and planted a signaler acid smoke grenade in him. Woke him up and shoved him on his way. Later on I saw the clown by my target and set it off. Killed like 10 people. Sweetest green text ever.
--Crocodillo

newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #168785

CPTANT wrote:
Kor wrote:I've seen a couple of nearly maxcap (4/10/19) grenades go off recently as well, wiping out the shuttle and brig.

4/10/19 grenades are almost certainly bluespace beakers. 2 large beakers worth of nitroglycerin makes a 3/7/14 iirc.

Then give the chemist a limited amount of those in chemistry.
As a botanist who has often made nitro grenades - a 65/65/65 sulphuric/fluorosulphuric/glycerol mix makes a 5/10/19 explosion. Perfectly mixable in large beakers.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #169499

How do you set off the pyro reagents anyway?

I've tried phlog and chlorflor in grenades and mixed with foam/smoke/etc. and nothing happened. Do I need to pre-heat these mixes to some temperature? Phlog doesn't even mention a heat req.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #169512

Oldman Robustin wrote:How do you set off the pyro reagents anyway?

I've tried phlog and chlorflor in grenades and mixed with foam/smoke/etc. and nothing happened. Do I need to pre-heat these mixes to some temperature? Phlog doesn't even mention a heat req.
Did you set up the igniter? This is usually what gives off the heat.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #169568

phlog is auto ignite on mix
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #169582

Super Aggro Crag wrote:phlog is auto ignite on mix
Not if you mix it with stabilizing agent
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #169605

yeah but then you gotta destabilize it to make it blow up
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #169620

i've not seen a grenade used since goof chem was added
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #169624

Archie700 wrote:

SHeeeeeeeit.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #169660

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Archie700 wrote:

SHeeeeeeeit.
>the bomb expert does not know how to set up a grenade
You lost your edge.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #169776

Mix stabilized phlog, mix some CLF3

phlog in 1 beaker with some smoke reagents, clf3 in the other with the rest of the smoke reagants.

CLF3 basically stays at 1000 degrees all the time so it auto-heats the phlog up to its fire point.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #169805

newfren wrote:Mix stabilized phlog, mix some CLF3

phlog in 1 beaker with some smoke reagents, clf3 in the other with the rest of the smoke reagants.

CLF3 basically stays at 1000 degrees all the time so it auto-heats the phlog up to its fire point.
You are better off just mixing CLF3 and foam. Just as deadly with less effort.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #169817

I was never that great at robusting with Chems, I try to keep track of the most handy 15-unit syringegun chem, but making powerful grenades, especially the nutty shit you can make with bluespace beakers, has never been my specialty.

I'm learning though, finally got the hellfire grenade working and by god I'm going to fill a shuttle with them someday.

Haven't been able to get lube to work in the mix, seems a little unecessary with foam but its the difference between just walking out of the fire v. being trapped in a hellpool that you cannot possibly survive.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #169821

cocothegogo wrote:i've not seen a grenade used since goof chem was added
How often do you play, exactly?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #169857

why do you people stabilize phlog

just spread the 3 ingredients out over 2 beakers so you don't even have to worry about the igniter and the stabilizer
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #169862

CPTANT wrote:

You are better off just mixing CLF3 and foam. Just as deadly with less effort.
cf3 foam is boss
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #169868

I like to mix some napalm in there for longer burn times.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #170281

Are you the one who plays fatty doo doo yellow lizard from videogame?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #170285

I used to, but I dropped her.

I can't play what I'd unironically fuck.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #170809

I would prefer a hypo needle chemical so poisons and medicine can actually get past basic masks but I'm weird like that.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #170841

DemonFiren wrote:I used to, but I dropped her.

wow dude i really appreciate you telling me this!!!!!!
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #170872

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:I used to, but I dropped her.

wow dude i really appreciate you telling me this!!!!!!
All to further my studies into Cragology.

Your reaction was not unexpected in that it was not what I'd expect from the ordinary forum user.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #173008

You can make grenades that will melt all of the floors in escape while slipping people with lube at round start with two large beakers. And poison bullshit that will kill anyone in a few seconds if you take the time.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #173068

yeah it's not because the chems aren't powerful, it's because they don't bother to make them