Security uniforms have been ruined once again.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Security uniforms have been ruined once again.

Post by Wyzack » #175149

Bottom post of the previous page:

An in game poll would probably be the best way to gauge player opinion of these. I think they look like garbage too but if the majority wants garbage we cannot exactly beat good taste into them over the internet. It really would be a shame to lose our iconic redshirts though
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #175178

Opinion should be gauged before shit gets merged.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #175186

Cheridan wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote: Just kidding you were right it was closed for being """"kneejerk"""" I guess we really can't revert anything after all
its ok pk, goofball is on the task with a solution https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... -216684888
this should be coming this week(?)
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #175187

I was wondering, I was tempted to ask for a vote considering we heard nothing of your efforts Goof.

I don't mind letting the HoS select the department color theme for the match. Perhaps paving the way to expand that to other departments, maybe we can track the popularity of certain themes.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #175188

well we got 3 options here

1. officers can set their outfit styles via the chameleon system, allowing for quick painless style swapping per each officer's wants and desires

2. the HoS sets the outfit style for the department, ensuring everyone is equal

3. the game picks the outfit style for the round
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #175194

I already proposed option 3, and option 2 would only make me play HoS more.

But, why exactly we can't simply get classic jumpsuits back?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #175205

the super old jumpsuits would be an option, yes
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #175206

Help, goofball is making great suggestions I strongly agree with.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #175211

temperature of hell is dropping
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #175212

Option two is the best in my opinion.

Firstly it further gives a incentive to play as the HoS, the most demanding job on station. But more importantly it sets everyone's color to a consistent theme for the round thus enforcing uniformity, instead of us having a multi-rainbow of security officers which, while amusing, would be stupid and hard to keep track off.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #175216

Give the hos some harmless perks, seems good to me
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #175254

Option two sounds ideal, why not let the HOS have more impact? It's a tough job.

Besides, there's loads of loose clothing for sec that never gets used. It'd be neat to clear some of it up. Could you make the formal security clothing an option? It'd probably have to be made statistically identical but it'd be good to see it in play.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #175290

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Why do people want sec to look more professional and tactical anyway? That's dumb and contrary to the games theme and aesthetic.
Because they're dumb dumbs that don't realise NT are actually the bad guys and are basically a bond villain, and you are the faceless corporate mook shoved in the same color coded jumpsuits.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #175394

Lest we forget the original inspiration.
Spoiler:
Bobylein
Byond Username: Bobylein

Post by Bobylein » #175398

What Lumber said.

Also why give them new grey outfits anyway? So the HoS can have back his black jensen suit?
<Lati> how do I make a big text that shows for everyone on the server? for testing locally
<Miauw> world << text
<KorPhaeron> world << dicks
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #175431

i've decided the game is going to choose the outfit for all of sec each round, expect PR soon
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #175464

Stuff a few of each variant in the sec clothes locker too family
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #175466

Noo. Uniforms must be uniform. I rather stomach shitty grey suit than clown parade.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #175475

It'll be uniform just varied between rounds, which may be confusing at first but hopefully the uniforms are distinct
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #175476

I disagree with making the round security uniform up to RNG.

This is a perfect opportunity to give the HoS players something of positive benefits that has NO balance implications to the game.

Its a near win win situation, you give a nice benefit to the HoS while also allowing people to pick the round theme.

Forcing random themes on the players is just going to remove agency from the players and overall it'll be a annoying change.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #175478

I personally like your contractor theme steelpoint, you should make it happen because I don't know how to code.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #175479

TechnoAlchemist wrote:It'll be uniform just varied between rounds, which may be confusing at first but hopefully the uniforms are distinct
I was replying to shadow.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #175502

Luke Cox wrote:Alright, here's an idea: Nanotrasen contracts security out to several private firms. Each firm has strengths and weaknesses in their loadouts, in addition to cosmetic differences. At the start of the round, HoS picks which firm he represents.

WWE firm:
Security starts off with shorts and a championship belt. They don't have tasers, armor, or batons but they can do wrestling moves. They also carry steroids and meth for when they need to deliver some SERIOUS justice
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #175578

Randomized security sounds way better than just randomized outfits. They get a random themed outfit and weapons and armor to match.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #175586

The idea of private contractors as a way to have multiple different uniforms is one that sounds very nice, both gameplay and IC wise. It adds a bit more depth into the lacking story, and keeps things a bit less dull. I would of course like to see a returnal of the iconic red security jumpsuit, as that has been security's go-to colour as shown from their department.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #175595

mfw I'm not even involved in this

Honestly though my opinion is that red jumpsuits + armor + helmet + jackboots + hudshades is still iconic /tg/ redshirts and shouldn't be changed
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #175599

Well if Cheridan public supporter of security removal wanted greyscale security I am sure it was only with the best intentions.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #175662

Incomptinence wrote:Well if Cheridan public supporter of security removal wanted greyscale security I am sure it was only with the best intentions.
Clearly the intention is to get us used to be the greyshirted thugs with stun sticks being the norm, for when coderbus finally removes security entirely and the only enforcers of justice are the greybacked maint troll.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #175692

What changed your mind pap? I thought you were on the greycurity side of things last time this boiled over
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #176379

I used to unironically think that the crew would be better off with mob justice than security

Now I occasionally play security

Oh how the times have changed
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #176411

It was better when we had both.

You know how people complain about murderbonerers?
You know how when a murderbonerer is murderbonering theres a general apathy to it? That as long as the murderbonerer doesn't murderboner them no one gives more than a passing shit?

Yeah, used to be a day that everyone would drop what they were doing and form a huge lynch mob that'd chase them down and kill em swiftly.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #176414

Redshirts.
That shit has significance. It's a props to Star Trek, which I guess to the average player nowadays has no significance because of the average age and it not being ~cool~.
It's also you know, a big part of the game, the iconic shitter redshirt who are about as useful as peanuts when actual antags are going rampant but if there's one assistant breaking into some random place they will come down with brutal force.

I don't really understand the need to change this, does the grey suits look more professional? Absolutely, but then you also have to remember Byond looks like garbage to begin with, so the grey suits look out of place. Why bother, it affects nothing in the game yet it causes a shit storm, this is some kind of grudgecoding at its finest because of its entire intentions is more than likely to just stir shit up for no real reason. Good job, mission accomplished yeah there we go.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #176417

Grey blends in easier with the background so it's obviously more robust
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #176419

It's been 2 weeks now. Goof?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #176423

I still think Red is the iconic security appearance.

It should be as negotiable as SS13 being set in space on a space station.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #176424

Steelpoint wrote:I still think Red is the iconic security appearance.

inbkor
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #176432

Steelpoint wrote:I still think Red is the iconic security appearance.

inb4 underwater station
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #176436

Its been done
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #176462

Red seems the best theme for Sec, in my opinion. I have always known them as redshirts, art posted in the Robustin thread (coding forum) show the red theme as well.

That aside, I also like Goof's Suggestion for number two. However, that is probably not feasible, because not every round will have a HoS. If there were a good backup system to handle there not being a roundstart HoS, it would be golden.

I support heads having more control over their own departments. They all tend to be stressful roles, one way or another. (Except HoP when a Captain is present)
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #176464

I've already said like half a dozen times I'd merge it if someone changed it back, since nobody was willing to merge red hats+rolled up sleeves as the default, and I'd rather be red again than have this ugly compromise.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #176645

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Shit change is pushed through
>Community backlash
>Coders saying it's their fault for not complaining on git
hey, that's a sci-fi classic.

The highway plans have been up in your local planning office in Alpha Centauri for ages.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177094

I'd put up a PR but that would require me to download everything all over again, I washed my hands off code changes a while back.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #177103

i got fucked by the feature freeze sorry
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177109

It was their plan all along, to push shit change and stall for time until freeze kicks in.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #177111

Sprite changes are allowed during a freeze.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177112

NO KOR DONT U SEE THE CODE ILLERMINATY WONT LET U FIX THE SPRITES OPEN UR EYES
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177122

That's not funny.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177131

I highly doubt changing a few sprites around would break anything.

Besides, nothing's stopping anyone from putting up a sprite change PR.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #177138

Steelpoint wrote:I highly doubt changing a few sprites around would break anything.

Besides, nothing's stopping anyone from putting up a sprite change PR.
Oh, yes there is. There is always lots of drama and controversy regarding Security sprites (or any changes to Sec in general, given that they are the most important department on the station). Anyone putting up a Security sprite PR will have to put up with strong opinions, frustrated maintainers closing the PRs early, and other community backlash. This is of course, ignoring the other obvious things such as lack of spriting skills, knowledge of Github, a suitable computer on which to work, etc
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177140

I'm stating that from a code perspective I highly doubt there would be any bugs or problems with swapping some sprites around.

Not to mention Kor seems to be fine with swapping the sprites back.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #177142

The only reason I have not done so myself is because I wouldnt be allowed to merge it.