impossible not to die as a shaft miner

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Chet Manley
Byond Username: Arnes111

impossible not to die as a shaft miner

Post by Chet Manley » #176434

now, before you tell me to git gud and stop whining, hear me out. it's not about the difficulty of lavaland that annoys me whenever I feel like playing SM. it's the fact that no matter how good/robust you are, no matter how much you know the meta, you WILL die eventually during a round, unless you get lucky and pull out soon.

for those that don't play the role, they might be wondering why that is. well, they might've experienced this pretty serious problem when they were getting robusted by a space carp (>implying) or some syndicate mobs. the lag. now, I know that space lag is something that's going to persist as a constant in the wonderful ss13 universe, but if you're pretty much constantly next to mobs that can crit you in 10 seconds if you don't evade their attacks, it's a real issue.

I play SM constantly and I do mean constanly, I can without a doubt attest 90% of my deaths as a shaft miner to lag and lag alone, because of the simple fact that mobs can move while you're frozen in limbo. the game lags for 30 seconds at a time and by the time my connection snaps back to reality, my perfectly healthy legion-heart implanted character that's wearing chaos marine power armor and using a super KA is now on the ground mere seconds from death from the goliath that I was passing by right before the lag started.

I asked an admin about this a while ago and he said that it's likely something that can't be fixed due to the nature of SS13, but is there really no way to freeze the mobs whenever the game server's experiencing connectivity issues? i'm not exaggerating when I say that the role is completely unplayable for a longer period of time and all the effort you guys put in to making lavaland as great as it is falls flat if you can't even play on it properly.

I don't use the forums often and don't know if this issue is being discussed already, so sorry if this is me just repeating shit all over again, but it's really obnoxious and really annoying. you're extremely good and get a shit ton of amazing gear, you prepare to go back on the station to fight the ganger scum that's killing everybody, and then you die on your way back to a single mob that managed to be in the right place at the right time. there HAS to be some kind of solution to this, right?

sorry if I come off as salty but that's just one of the symptoms when the game server betrays you so many times. please give me hope.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: impossible not to die as a shaft miner

Post by Remie Richards » #176435

This is network lag, it should be going away soon.
As for "they can move while you can't", that's again only true for the network lag, actual game lag now prioritises input meaning you can ALWAYS move, regardless of the (game) lag.
私は完璧
Chet Manley
Byond Username: Arnes111

Post by Chet Manley » #176437

yeah sorry for not clarifying I meant network lag in my post. if it's going away as a whole then there really is no problem, I just thought it was there to stay is all. because in that case, it it an issue.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #176438

I don't recall the exact wording (as the message is gone), but the front page (tgstation13.org) mentioned network downtime (on Friday I believe) to fix the issue, that should have dealt with it.
私は完璧
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #176441

Honestly I think the mobs on lavaland got an absurd buff when we moved from the asteroid and there was really no need for the frankly insane increased spawn rate and overall improvements to lethality and speed that they all received (bar the legion which is pretty easily dealt with even now) I get that it's supposed to be this tough death world environment but there's been no corresponding buff to the miners equipment to account for the monsters.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #176442

this isn't the first time that jobs become unplayable due to the lag, and it has been addressed to MSO.

If the lag still persists after three days starting today, shoot MSO a PM or post here. He mentioned he would strongly consider changing hosting services if the network lag was not solved.

-

Content wise my biggest concern is the ridiculous buff watchers have gotten; basilisks used to only cold beam you when you were not in melee range. Basilisks were made to be meleed not PKA'd. Then it got a buff so it melees AND cold beams. But watchers now get this ridiculous health and damage boost.

That was really stupid, not to mention now Goliath ai got lobotomised and you're meant to melee it to death?

I don't understand who thought it was a good idea to this.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #176444

Watchers were already nerfed.
Unlike the original mob that made you cold, Watchers initially had no projectile, they literally just fucking made you cold, this is like hitscan weaponry but more bullshit as it literally could NOT miss.
They were thankfully nerfed back to having a projectile (I have no idea what Kor was thinking)
私は完璧
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #176445

Remie Richards wrote: (I have no idea what Kor was thinking)
I just straight reskinned basilisks, the power was never something I added.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #176446

Kor wrote:
Remie Richards wrote: (I have no idea what Kor was thinking)
I just straight reskinned basilisks, the power was never something I added.
I'll throw a nerf tonight to revert it's melee damage to basilisk tier tonight then. Thanks for clarifying.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #176449

Sorry, I did buff their melee, but their eyebeam/stare power was something I never touched.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #176452

Kor wrote:Sorry, I did buff their melee, but their eyebeam/stare power was something I never touched.
No wonder Rin always gets demolished as SM.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #176455

Remie Richards wrote:Watchers were already nerfed.
Unlike the original mob that made you cold, Watchers initially had no projectile, they literally just fucking made you cold, this is like hitscan weaponry but more bullshit as it literally could NOT miss.
They were thankfully nerfed back to having a projectile (I have no idea what Kor was thinking)
It's mainly goliaths, they spam their tentacle waaaay more than they did before, watchers are fairly easy now, just pull a ore box behind you and pop out to shoot.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #176553

Mining isn't hard to survive on but it's not worth playing with network lag, because you'll get killed by something you can't see.