Inaction Clause Removal Poll

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should the inaction clause be removed from the AI, considering your experiences from the test?

Yes
38%
No
34%
Extend the test
29%
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 56

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Inaction Clause Removal Poll

Post by PKPenguin321 » #181336

The inaction clause removal test just ended

Post feedback on your experiences with borgs during the test and if we should/shouldn't keep it (or if we should extend the test)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Re: Inaction Clause Removal Poll

Post by PKPenguin321 » #181339

Also remember to vote in the ingame poll. This thread is mainly for discussion, and the poll is just there to get a sense for the feeling of the test at a glance.
Spoiler:
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #181341

Removing the inaction clause was simply better. It allowed me as a medical borg to focus on the job at hand and not on the antag killing someone on the other side of the station. Only to then get security on my ass from stopping them from killing the antag. It's better play for the borg/AI player and it makes me feel like everyone can start liking the silicons again!
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #181343

It can really only work in the long-term if we change it to something like "You may not harm a human, or lead a human to harm through your actions."
Which is more lenient than "Stop all harm forever", but doesn't allow for retardation like a borg shooting someone with sleeptoxin and saying "Hey this guy is a traitor please kill him."

Without the inaction clause an silicons literally has to obey orders like "Let me into the engine room so I can release the singularity and kill everyone.", "let me into the armory so I can steal all the guns", "borg go place all the plasma canisters in the hallway."

I'm kind of impressed this hasn't been a catastrophe really. Either people haven't realized how abusable it is, are showing a huge amount of restraint (lol), or silicons aren't being true to their laws.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #181361

Cheridan wrote: Without the inaction clause an silicons literally has to obey orders like "Let me into the engine room so I can release the singularity and kill everyone.", "let me into the armory so I can steal all the guns", "borg go place all the plasma canisters in the hallway."
Asimov Law 2
2.1 "Dangerous" areas as the Armory, the Atmospherics division, and the Toxins lab can be assumed to be a Law 1 threat to any illegitimate users as well as the station as a whole if accessed by someone not qualified in their use.
Kinda of shitty examples but what ever.

I don't want the full 'prevent harm' to go away, but yeah it definitely makes borgs a liability if you have to prove that you aren't harming them and/or they aren't human. Space Law punishments and Legal Executions should probably be marked as non-harmful, or prisoners are non-human for the duration of their brig/prison sentence?

Otherwise, yeah just making it so Silicons are to do their absolute best to avoid taking actions that would result in harm would be best; be it direct harm by attacking them, or indirect harm by giving an otherwise unprepared human access to a dangerous area. Why people keep thinking Law 2 directives to release the engine would even be valid though is getting annoying, since any action that would compromise the containment field would obviously lead to harm of the crew, station and silicons themselves.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #181377

Without the inaction clause, any harm is fine as long as the silicon isn't doing the harming himself and there's a degree of separation. Silicons can't release the singulo themselves since they would be doing harm, but they can absolutely let someone into the engine to sabotage it since it's the other guy doing it. Law 3 works here since sure the silicons might be killed, but in the case of say plasma fire, borgs and AI can't be harmed by that at all, so "Law 2 bring me all the plasma canisters on the station, so I can incinerate everyone" is an order they have to follow, assuming nobody overrides that Law 2 order.

Two days ago, I think, someone ahelped about a peacekeeper borg keeping him disabled while a human killed him. I had to explain the exact same thing I'm trying to here: the borg is completely allowed to non-harmfully incapacitate him while someone else kills him. Law 1 only says that you cannot harm a human. It's the same reason non-inaction clause AIs can laugh while security executes people in plain view. I guess the guy could have used Law 2 and say "Stop helping this guy kill me" but yeah not really practical in the middle of combat.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #181387

If pkp tries to say the people voting fo extend the test count toward a greater yes majority remember the poll is multiple choice and you can pick 2 options.

Also feel free to vote yes no maybe I don't know can you repeat the question.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #181389

Incomptinence wrote:If pkp tries to say the people voting fo extend the test count toward a greater yes majority remember the poll is multiple choice and you can pick 2 options.

Also feel free to vote yes no maybe I don't know can you repeat the question.
Yeah I did that on purpose, that way you can vote that you do/don't like the idea but still vote that the test should keep going if you feel that perhaps your mind might still be changed.
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #181479

Cheridan wrote:It can really only work in the long-term if we change it to something like "You may not harm a human, or lead a human to harm through your actions."
I could actually agree to the removal of inaction clause if it was worded like this.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #181544

Yes, inaction clause should be removed, since it leads to superior gameplay. Also, Cheridan's proposal of rewording Law 1 is good.
Bring back papercult.

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #181547

Cheridan wrote:Without the inaction clause, any harm is fine as long as the silicon isn't doing the harming himself and there's a degree of separation. Silicons can't release the singulo themselves since they would be doing harm, but they can absolutely let someone into the engine to sabotage it since it's the other guy doing it. Law 3 works here since sure the silicons might be killed, but in the case of say plasma fire, borgs and AI can't be harmed by that at all, so "Law 2 bring me all the plasma canisters on the station, so I can incinerate everyone" is an order they have to follow, assuming nobody overrides that Law 2 order.

Two days ago, I think, someone ahelped about a peacekeeper borg keeping him disabled while a human killed him. I had to explain the exact same thing I'm trying to here: the borg is completely allowed to non-harmfully incapacitate him while someone else kills him. Law 1 only says that you cannot harm a human. It's the same reason non-inaction clause AIs can laugh while security executes people in plain view. I guess the guy could have used Law 2 and say "Stop helping this guy kill me" but yeah not really practical in the middle of combat.
Hilarious how trying to get rid of validhunting just made it worse for the people that actually do get caught.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #181619

Cheridan wrote:Without the inaction clause, any harm is fine as long as the silicon isn't doing the harming himself and there's a degree of separation. Silicons can't release the singulo themselves since they would be doing harm, but they can absolutely let someone into the engine to sabotage it since it's the other guy doing it. Law 3 works here since sure the silicons might be killed, but in the case of say plasma fire, borgs and AI can't be harmed by that at all, so "Law 2 bring me all the plasma canisters on the station, so I can incinerate everyone" is an order they have to follow, assuming nobody overrides that Law 2 order.

All of this. I don't see why removing one of the core AI sources of conflict is meant to stop validhunting.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #181620

Cheridan wrote:It can really only work in the long-term if we change it to something like "You may not harm a human, or lead a human to harm through your actions."
Which is more lenient than "Stop all harm forever", but doesn't allow for retardation like a borg shooting someone with sleeptoxin and saying "Hey this guy is a traitor please kill him."

Without the inaction clause an silicons literally has to obey orders like "Let me into the engine room so I can release the singularity and kill everyone.", "let me into the armory so I can steal all the guns", "borg go place all the plasma canisters in the hallway."

I'm kind of impressed this hasn't been a catastrophe really. Either people haven't realized how abusable it is, are showing a huge amount of restraint (lol), or silicons aren't being true to their laws.
it's the first one.

i've only been asked to flood plasma once, which you know, is pretty fucking low.

once people catch on it will be armageddon. probably.

personally i'm okay with extending the test though. it's certainly been amusing so far. i'm curious as to what the playerbase will do once they get used to it.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #181732

>not snpcs

smh tbh fam
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #181782

DemonFiren wrote:>not snpcs

smh tbh fam
I could legit replace the crew with SNPCs and nobody would notice tbh
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #181793

What if we just made it so that Asimov isn't always the default lawset? I can see how the inaction clause can lead to problems but completely ripping out the inaction clause kills half the point of Asimov. Either let the AI choose a preferred lawset or randomize it.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #181813

I'd prefer there was no lawsets and AI players weren't fucking cuckolds to the extreme to be honest
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #181814

I liked having no inaction clause, I was free to just nod my head at obvious traitors and fuck around without worrying about having to 'win'.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #181832

paprika wrote:I'd prefer there was no lawsets and AI players weren't fucking cuckolds to the extreme to be honest
Now there's an idea I can get behind.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #181835

Do we even need laws actually
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #181839

Nope, not at all

AI players could use their high functioning brains to not open all doors under the 'law 2' meme and validhunt all they want without being harm policing fucktards every time sec kicks the clown in the shins for spraying lube everywhere

And if traitors could no longer subvert the AI............. who cares? The only people it would piss off is RD/robotics powergamers who use it to win hijack objectives rofl, not that there's anything wrong with that since hijack objectives are almost impossible without a legion of borgs anyway.

Why don't we try that shit out instead? Would it be too haram to remove doorknob slavery from AIs?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #181866

Probably since a faulty or re-programmed AI is a good source of chaos and drama
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #181867

Yakumo_Chen wrote:I liked having no inaction clause, I was free to just nod my head at obvious traitors and fuck around without worrying about having to 'win'.
You could do that in the first place if the traitors are murderboning.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #181870

captain preference for roundstart lawset when thanks
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #181943

I've felt little change in the short while this was being tested. An extension to see how it affects things in more detail is in order.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #182157

I still feel like this is a kneejerk reaction to a non-issue. If an extended test produces positive results I won't argue against it, but thus far it looks like there's barely been any difference. Even with traditional asimov, the AI can only be aware of so much harm that's occurring. If Asimov is such a big problem, then stop making it the default lawset.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #182178

Remove asimov or go with baylaws tbh
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #182743

it's because it's not the laws that are truly the problem, it's players
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #182748

oranges wrote:it's because it's not the laws that are truly the problem, it's players
You see doing shit is like chemistry
You harm a human? and a borg sees it? it will try to stop you or help the person in need
Because you cant understand your reaction then got CUCKED by it isnt the problem by the laws it is truly yourself

So first study the reactions that can happen and how it could be countered before you do your insane shitty thing
The future is horrible!
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #182836

Inaction clause should die that way i dont get infinistunned and permabrigged as captain after i bumped into the upload door and opened it by accident and the ai immediately assumes all law changes are MUH HUMAN HARM
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #182911

Luke Cox wrote:I still feel like this is a kneejerk reaction to a non-issue. If an extended test produces positive results I won't argue against it, but thus far it looks like there's barely been any difference. Even with traditional asimov, the AI can only be aware of so much harm that's occurring. If Asimov is such a big problem, then stop making it the default lawset.
It's as much kneejerk as removing secborgs.
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #183422

No inaction clause was both hilarious and incredibly relaxing.

It really does change a lot, I was just hoping that the human players would've caught on to it and realized that borgs were no longer their enemies.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #185671

Remove inaction clause again, please.
Bring back papercult.