Security Population & Competence

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Security Population & Competence

Post by onleavedontatme » #182950

Bottom post of the previous page:

Tornadium wrote:
Kor wrote:Falamazeer you're years out of date with your complaints.

Security can basically kill anyone they want at any time, attacking them at all when not antag will usually get you banned very quickly, and grey tiding in general has been heavily cracked down on.

Security has the best treatment of any role in the game rules wise, they're held to a lower standard if anything.
Standards aren't really the issue.

As I said I'm sick to death of rounds where admins spawn overpowered shit or just keep throwing antagonists into the mix because CHAOS ALL THE TIME.

It's a complete clusterfuck to have gang marauders and pulse rifles for a 2 man security team.
I know, I was just replying to Falamazeer, not the rest of you.

And I recently demoted one admin (partially) for event spam and banned another, but

http://www.ss13.eu/tgdb/tg/ingamepolls.php#p139

It turns out players actually like that spam after all
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #182952

I wouldn't trust those polls until they are hosted on tgstation13.org
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #182953

Most people see button pressing as "I get antag" and think it's a good thing.

"button pressing" is too vague

anyways, sec players get the worst of *events* so things that apply to basically everyone else doesn't apply to sec

maybe we should just do away with loyalty implants besides the roundstart assurance, make it so sec can be converted if you take off their glasses or some shit.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #182955

Nine months at the most, I'll admit I'm not the most current, but I check back in and look at it from my perspective, Everyone is still bitching about exactly what I was bitching about for 6 years or so. Minus the constant over the shoulder bwoinking admin issue so you have a point, The rest of my point still stands firm though, The community is godawful to security, and anyone who attempts to fix it get's memed, shat upon, and denied. and nobody worth a fuck will play it for those reasons

I'd jump on and get more current info, But it seems the classic woes continue, and I really don't want to.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #182956

Kor wrote:Security can basically kill anyone they want at any time
Gonna stop you right there fam. Multiple times when I've been playing sec during rev/cult/gang and have rolled out EXECUTE DANGEROUS PERSONS policies I've been bwoinked because someone got mad that I killed them.

Example: Scientist guard. Chaplain comes in through an open door and some guy yells that he's a traitor. I cuff him and search his stuff, he has a billion syndie soaps in his bag and some weapons. I'm convinced he's a traitor and execute and soul shard him. Afterwards I get bwoinked.

I was certain I was going to get a ban from the admin's screaming at me but I probably just got a note.

Sec don't get off easy if they fuck up. Kill someone in the heat of the moment and there's damn good odds you're betting bwoinked if they aren't antag, and a lot of the time even if they are because HOW WAS HE SUUURE I WAS CULT HUUUHHH????
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

cuck shed

Post by PKPenguin321 » #182957

cuck shed
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #182961

PKPenguin321 wrote:cuck shed
allura wrote:Security has no responsibilities
oranges wrote:to the cuck shed we go
What the fuck, could you all keep your oh so snappy and edgy one-liners to yourself for once? Nobody gives a shit about your 'opinion' if you can't even be arsed to give a short explanation as to why you think you're written display of mental diarrhea is even remotely appropriate.

People are actually concerned about the state security currently is in/has been in for years and want to discuss possibilities to make life better for those willing to try and play a redshirt - if you're not caring about this or can't be bothered to read the whole thread, then DON'T CHIME IN.
Half-assed posts are the reason a lot of valid feedback and suggestions threads degenerate into a spammy off-topic meme fest.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #182968

People don't want to play a role that pressures them into doing things. Everyone is too uptight about how security should operate, security regulars especially.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #182970

Kor wrote:Falamazeer you're months out of date with your complaints.

Security can basically kill anyone they want at any time, attacking them at all when not antag will usually get you banned very quickly, and grey tiding in general has been heavily cracked down on.

Security has the best treatment of any role in the game rules wise, they're held to a lower standard if anything.
FTFY
Kor wrote:
Tornadium wrote:

Standards aren't really the issue.

As I said I'm sick to death of rounds where admins spawn overpowered shit or just keep throwing antagonists into the mix because CHAOS ALL THE TIME.

It's a complete clusterfuck to have gang marauders and pulse rifles for a 2 man security team.
I know, I was just replying to Falamazeer, not the rest of you.

And I recently demoted one admin (partially) for event spam and banned another, but

http://www.ss13.eu/tgdb/tg/ingamepolls.php#p139

It turns out players actually like that spam after all
Thats not surprising, the majority of players are having fun getting a chance at a reroll at the antag lottery - they're not the ones that are outmanned, outgunned, and already knackered and beat down from the previous fight. The opposite actually, they're probably moping around the place being bored assistants/engineers.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #182983

Security may as well just be removed to be completely honest.

Server culture doesn't support it.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #183005

I can attest bagil has this problem as I dont play sybil. But talking to players who do play sec often, (Franz-chan and Sloan) with intent to see what makes them play often would see a nice point of view. Not having been here long thats my two cents on the subject.

Personally I play on occasion for the fun of it. Mostly as warden, then sec officer.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #183006

I think sec is a very biased role that's almost better than medbay for ERP, there is something wrong here!!!
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #183014

Certainly cannot get away with killing people as sec as my notes allude to this;

Killed someone for attacking sec with a hatchet and inciting riots/attacks on security.
Killed someone for wetting floors, spamming disarm, and stealing guns from sec during a nuke war round.

I'd like to see what percentage of players that play the game think of admin events. I don't take the opinions of those whom suicide and beg admins for Button pressing very seriously.

The issue with all chaos all the time is that the only people that benefit are those that don't contribute to the round or those that actively seek those roles.

There's just no way to play sec as a reasonable human being when you're spit on, kicked at every opportunity, and have your victory taken away from you by shitty admin events. I can understand if the admin event is announced but when I work so hard to catch antags, I want to bask in my effort rather than xenos spawned and fuck you there goes your round.

We're human beings, we want to be happy playing a job. Happiness is a byproduct of success and if we're not happy about security there's clearly something unsuccessful going on.

Maybe it's because every time we try to attain a successful security round it's kicked from under us?
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #183031

J_Madison wrote:Certainly cannot get away with killing people as sec as my notes allude to this;

Killed someone for attacking sec with a hatchet and inciting riots/attacks on security.
Killed someone for wetting floors, spamming disarm, and stealing guns from sec during a nuke war round.
Really? I've killed quite a few shitlers as a warden or detective for the reasons you've mentioned and more and while I might get bwoinked for it from time to time it's always been ruled as valid once I explained my reasoning.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #183035

Jacough wrote:
J_Madison wrote:Certainly cannot get away with killing people as sec as my notes allude to this;

Really? I've killed quite a few shitlers as a warden or detective for the reasons you've mentioned and more and while I might get bwoinked for it from time to time it's always been ruled as valid once I explained my reasoning.
Might be different for each admin. The first one was old.

I've also got a note for saying I would have a list of players that I would allow no room for escalation due to their powergaming tendencies. That got me a note too.

It's a double standard for sec not to use lethal force to stop someone whom for the last 10 antag rounds has done nothing but murderbone because it's "metagrudging".

The last ban request against Tornadium really hit a soft spot with me because during my time as sec, the amount of metagaming and metafriends that got benefits from their buddy who was playing in sec was the straw that broke the camels back.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183039

J_Madison wrote:
Jacough wrote:

Might be different for each admin. The first one was old.

I've also got a note for saying I would have a list of players that I would allow no room for escalation due to their powergaming tendencies. That got me a note too.

It's a double standard for sec not to use lethal force to stop someone whom for the last 10 antag rounds has done nothing but murderbone because it's "metagrudging".

The last ban request against Tornadium really hit a soft spot with me because during my time as sec, the amount of metagaming and metafriends that got benefits from their buddy who was playing in sec was the straw that broke the camels back.
Happens to me more often than is even reported.

Been bwoinked a few times for telling a HoS to fuck off when he tells me to release his metabuddy.
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #183054

it's fine
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183056

Sidon wrote:it's fine
Based on what metric exactly?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #183060

The only way we're feasibly going to encourage experienced players to want to play sec is via rewarding sec players for good play.

This is unlikely to happen because it would require either a code solution to reward sec players with titles or asthetic items or admins giving antag token out to good sec players. Both requiring a active role in the admins to issue these.
Sidon

Post by Sidon » #183061

Tornadium wrote:
this one

[gobsmacked--I---|---I--it's alright--I---|---I--it's fine]
_______________________________________{<^>}_
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183071

Sidon wrote:
Tornadium wrote:
this one

[gobsmacked--I---|---I--it's alright--I---|---I--it's fine]
_______________________________________{<^>}_

Well shit, I found this metric that completely refutes yours.

[It's a problem-I---|---I--Still A Problem--I---|---I--Barely a Problem]
_{<^>}___________________________________________________
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #183077

Should make Assistant new player only tbh
Cut the grey tide down to size
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #183080

Trust me any attempt to quell grey tide is met with such fucking retarded 'muh /tg/ culture' shit that isn't not even worth it
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #183082

>Ban experienced players from the job they want

Genius
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #183085

Anonmare wrote:Should make Assistant new player only tbh
Cut the grey tide down to size
They'll just greytide as actual jobs
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #183113

TechnoAlchemist wrote: maybe we should just do away with loyalty implants besides the roundstart assurance, make it so sec can be converted if you take off their glasses or some shit.
I was going to bash on this, but you actually do have a point there.
I have been reading through these two threads Security's representation on Github. & Security uniforms have been ruined once again. and something, that I felt was there but wasn't consciously aware of, became very clear to me:

When you play security you have the feeling that it's you against the crew.

This is fucking horrible. Obviously nobody is going to want to feel like being a huge target for everyone else or wants to be forced into a position where everyone around you has to be assumed to be hostile. Why bother exposing yourself to this dread, when you could just be one of the horde?

Over abundance of conversion game modes seem to be a major cause of this problem: if you don't take anyone else, who is not explicitly on your side, as a very likely threat, you will VERY SOON meet the unavoidable force of natural selection. You won't live long as an officer when tackling conversion modes under the assumption that everything is 'not so bad as it seems'. Who wants to get wrecked repeatedly if you can avoid it? So you stop playing security.
The officers left playing are the few that have taken on the mentality of 'Me and my bros vs the rest', because that is what allowed them to survive the clusterfuck. And they stick with it even in traitor/wizard rounds. Why wouldn't you? Any round can be a TDM conversion gamemode and that mentality also works in traitor rounds. There's no reason to make it dependent on a specific gamemode if it works for all of them.

This mentality, while apparently necessary, is VERY toxic to server culture... to the point where changing it (the mentality) has become almost impossible.
The feeling of 'Security vs the crew' has actually become real. I very rarely put trust into a random officer I come into contact with, because I know he doesn't trust me either. And while he is 'wrong' to be so untrusting during traitor rounds (as the chance of me randomly being a traitor is very low), his distrust is absolutely justified during team rounds. So I can't fault him for his behaviour at all, but I might still despise him for treating me like an antag when I'm actually not.

Now add some security players that make the waffen-SS look like girl scouts, don't forget about grey tiding the brig and all the other lovely, ridiculous, over-exaggerated 'Security vs Crew' elements this game has come up with and the natural desire to be an antag free of rules over being the polar opposite of that... and you end up where we are now.
A lot of officers are one silly looking mustache away from being Hitler, because they have little choice.
The crew generally doesn't like security, because they are impossible to reason with.
Hostilities all around!

Would limiting the occurrence of conversion gamemodes fix this mentality? Meh, perhaps over a very long period of time.
But then you run into the problem that a lot of players favour team antag rounds over traitor rounds, because they are almost guaranteed to be involved in the outcome of the round in one way or the other.
As it is, security is in a very shitty place to be - to the point where removing the entire concept is becoming a viable alternative. I don't want to see it gone, though. Much like a removal of the AI, it would make the game more bland... less multifaceted. Boring. (unless you're only here for PvP...)
Imagine it being an infected limb. Do you cut it off or do you try to save it?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #183114

The problem with removing security is what do you replace it with?

Many of the conversion based game modes (and some normal game modes) operate under the assumption there's some station bound force acting in opposition to the antagonists. Ifyou were to remove security from the game then what's left to counter them? The Captain and the Head of Personal (who could also be a antagonist), so really its the Captain versus whatever is being thrown at him.

Unless you either turned the Head of Security into a walking one man security force then I can't see a way to remove security without heavily unbalancing some of the pre-exsisting game modes.

Security may be in a very bad place now, but even then they do provide at least a token resistance to the antagonists of the round.

-----------------------

Perhaps security would see a surge if there were more events that benefited security. Since right now almost every event in game, admin or otherwise, fails to benefit security and can in fact harm security. From the Grey Tide virus to admin even #512412 that toss's a bunch of OP items to the crew.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #183115

When you spend half a round chasing after some fucker who stole the captain's laser gun while some assistant or MD or I don't know, some job who clearly doesn't have enough responsibilities, is breaking down the windows into the Brig, and right when you're convinced the round mode is Traitor the armoury explodes and it turns out the round mode was Nuke Ops all along...

That's when I stop playing Security.

Like I'm all for cutting back on the meta. But when the HoS thinks it's Rev for the longest time until he literally fishes an esword out of someone's backpack, just because of the way a large part of the crew was behaving, there's a problem.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #183117

Steelpoint wrote:The problem with removing security is what do you replace it with?

Maybe replace them with white suited "Peacekeepers" who aren't a military force with weapons and such and instead can give out cookies, hug people to make them feel better and talk to them about their problems.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #183118

Honestly, crack down on people who start trouble as non-antags. Smash a few windows without good justification? Steal high-risk items like the spare ID or Captain's laser? Cop a ban. Don't ban a cop. If we remove sources of antagonism that don't come from antags, then that gives antags themselves greater leeway to do fun stuff without being interfered with by validhunters (typically the same group as greytiders, let's face it), and lets Security have an easier time.

"What are you going to do with the spare ID now you've taken it?"
"Give all-access to all my greytide metafri-- uh... to useful crew as a reward."
"And the laser?"
"Shoot Security who try and stop us-- I mean, space carp. Uh-huh."

Not even loyalty-pinned pulse rifles and adrenals would make Security better to play.
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #183132

Steelpoint wrote:The problem with removing security is what do you replace it with?

Many of the conversion based game modes (and some normal game modes) operate under the assumption there's some station bound force acting in opposition to the antagonists. Ifyou were to remove security from the game then what's left to counter them?
Most of the time, security starts out barely functional. Yet they can still turn the situation around in their favour by recruiting a militia and coming down HARD on anyone not on their side. Your average Joe doesn't stand a chance against security's powerful arsenal. The MO during rev/gang is to go out into the hallways to pick off random, alone people to 'deconvert'. Once a critical mass of loyalists has been assembled and assuming no concerted effort of resistance from the antags has been made, security is just going to faceroll all the way to round end.
This works in some rounds, while in others any security personnel just gets roflstomped into oblivion.
Bottom line is: if security has to rely on recruiting, because they begin the rounds almost incapable of dealing with a threat on their own, is there really a point of having them? If security fails to provide what is implied by their fucking job title due to insufficent numbers and/or skill, why do they still exist in their current form?

As I have said, I don't want the concept of a security department gone. But you have to acknowledge the fact that over the course of years, the term 'security' has gotten a very salty, unappreciated, dysfunctional notion. By that I'm not saying, at one point, at the dawn of time, security was your beloved 'friend and helper', nobody likes having authority imposed over them. But it has gotten worse and worse.

With that I'm back at the metaphor of the infected limb. Fighting the infection is in the long term more favourable, you get to keep your limb 'n all... but don't forget that cutting off the limb also works and is much quicker.

Ricotez wrote:When you spend half a round chasing after some fucker who stole the captain's laser gun while some assistant or MD or I don't know, some job who clearly doesn't have enough responsibilities, is breaking down the windows into the Brig, and right when you're convinced the round mode is Traitor the armoury explodes and it turns out the round mode was Nuke Ops all along...

That's when I stop playing Security.

Like I'm all for cutting back on the meta. But when the HoS thinks it's Rev for the longest time until he literally fishes an esword out of someone's backpack, just because of the way a large part of the crew was behaving, there's a problem.
Perpetual animosity between crew and security. For assistant McGriff, security is the enemy. For security, McGriff is the enemy. Until it turns out there really is an outside threat from a third party. They're both wrong, in some regards. It's Palestine in space.

TheNightingale wrote:Honestly, crack down on people who start trouble as non-antags. Smash a few windows without good justification? Steal high-risk items like the spare ID or Captain's laser? Cop a ban. Don't ban a cop. If we remove sources of antagonism that don't come from antags, then that gives antags themselves greater leeway to do fun stuff without being interfered with by validhunters (typically the same group as greytiders, let's face it), and lets Security have an easier time.

"What are you going to do with the spare ID now you've taken it?"
"Give all-access to all my greytide metafri-- uh... to useful crew as a reward."
"And the laser?"
"Shoot Security who try and stop us-- I mean, space carp. Uh-huh."

Not even loyalty-pinned pulse rifles and adrenals would make Security better to play.
Again, this can be traced back to the necessary security mindset of having to regard everyone as an enemy. The crew can't rely on security to do its job properly, because they themselves might end up in security's crosshairs and you quite obviously can't have that. So you arm yourself, not only to be prepared to fight hostile antags, but also to face security should it come down to it.
Then security comes in and takes a dump on your face. Naturally, you will try to resist, thus reinforcing security's default idea of 'everyone is bad'.
Crew antagonizes security. Security antagonizes crew.
Classic negative feedback loop.

While I wouldn't mind seeing some greytiding shitler catching a warning or even a ban, I'm not a big fan of involving admins in IC matters.
It will also not remedy the 'Security vs Crew' mentality, since half the time (or more) it actually is antag crew vs security.

In a perfect world full of happy sunshine and flowers and chocolate milk rivers, security would be part of the crew. Currently though, they're not (unless it's new cops or wizard).
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183142

Just wanted to comment on that conversion vs traitor round thing.

I don't trust regular crew during high pop traitor rounds after that one round where we had 16 traitors and two lings. The sheer number of antag slots in high pop means you HAVE to assume everyone is threat unless proven not to be or you get killed.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #183155

Tornadium wrote:The sheer number of antag slots in high pop means you HAVE to assume everyone is threat unless proven not to be or you get killed.
As Security, everyone is a threat with our current playerbase, antag or not. You can tell because Security still gets a hard time on extended rounds.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #183157

AI isn't stressful, it's easy.

Except for ghosts and admins no one knows where your sensor is. You have little responsibility because you rarely can be held accountable for not acting because no one knows you were even aware.

No one is trying to loot the AI. No one is trying to ban bait the AI. When an AI fails they usually don't make things worse, assuming they follow their laws. I mean things like failing to bolt a traitor down, etc. When sec gets tapped with a stunprod now the antag/grey tider has ranged stun weapons.
--Crocodillo

WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #183158

TheNightingale wrote:
Tornadium wrote:The sheer number of antag slots in high pop means you HAVE to assume everyone is threat unless proven not to be or you get killed.
As Security, everyone is a threat with our current playerbase, antag or not. You can tell because Security still gets a hard time on extended rounds.
This is the essence of the problem. Half+ of our player base sees a sec officer as an escalation valid or a ban baiting. And they get away with it.
Or they see them as the No-Fun-Police because their idea of fun is breaking shit and robbing people and any attempt to help their victims is basically hitler.
--Crocodillo

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #183164

Kor wrote:It turns out players actually like that spam after all
i've lost all hope in tg, event spam is the worst thing in this game imo
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #183165

Sounds as if the problem is less with security and more with crew treatment of security.

Sadly, given how this tends to be part of the 'culture,' I don't know how well efforts to fix it with cracking down on the tide will go. There would be a shit ton of push back.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #183166

Assistants should have no arms problem fixed GG
The future is horrible!
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183175

Ezel wrote:Assistants should have no arms problem fixed GG

Ezel can barely type English but every now and then he has a really good idea
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #183182

Greyshirts should be as valid as Ashwalkers tbh.
The differences between them are actually rather minimal, they're both grey, they're both tribal and they both steal things that don't belong to them.
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #183191

Aliannera wrote:Sounds as if the problem is less with security and more with crew treatment of security.

Sadly, given how this tends to be part of the 'culture,' I don't know how well efforts to fix it with cracking down on the tide will go. There would be a shit ton of push back.
It goes a bit deeper than just 'the tide'. Admins won't bat an eye if security whips out the lethals during a real, proper open revolt greytide. Act like an antag, be treated like one. That really isn't an issue.
It's the thousand tiny cuts the security personnel suffers during even a single round. Ranging from the clown innocently slipping you during a pursuit of a criminal, over greyshirt Anarchy McFuckDAPolice dismantling the brig windows, to that obligatory vigilante taking your gear when you're down/in crit.
You can't really enforce 'admin rules' here without being deliberately arbitrary about what is against the rules and what isn't.

I would enjoy being there for the crew, and I think a lot of occasional officers do think the same - you can get very friendly with the department you're assigned to and it's a lot of fun. But then you run into one of the many shitlers blaring 'SHITCURITAAAHHH!!' over the radio for memes and giggles and the ugly truth quickly catches up to you. Then again, maybe he's yelling because he's being abused by another shitty officer who, possibly, was abused by a shitler earlier.
SS13:It's shitlers all the way down!
Infinite regress sucks.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #183194

TRIGGER WARNING RAMBLE

I played security a couple rounds last night and didnt really experience any of this. We had 3-4 people on the team both rounds. First was a boring stealth ops round where I never saw anything until delta happened, second was a slow traitor round. The most danger I was in was being slipped and having a foam ebow fired at me. I know anecdotes, but this has been my general experience with security lately. More boredom than stress like others are describing. The day before I was detective and chatted with some gangsters in the bar before a rival gangster hosed them down with uzis, then spent 10 minutes chasing him with a knife before finally shooting him. Still felt like a lazy silly round.

Ops are really the only antag I find completely frustrating and unfair to fight. They're immune to most of my weapons, their guns have ridiculous capacity and kill you in a couple shots, they have the element of surprise, better coordination, and often outnumber security significantly since them spawning makes the station understaffed.

Grey tide is very easy to manage. I just tase them and tell them to cut it out without arresting them, and that is usually enough to make them stop. The crew wont treat you like an enemy if you dont treat them like one for the most part (and the gulag covers the other cases). Hassling the clown for "assault" when he slips you or brigging an assistant for stealing gloves from tech storage is not worth the strife.

I guess the tl;dr is that I don't really feel all too miserable as security in most rounds.
Sidon

Post by Sidon » #183195

You know why Kor? Because it's a player problem on security's side. I wouldn't play security with half the fucks who whined in this thread. They literally want fun for NO ONE.

If you get lucky and roll a chill security team it's the best. Especially if the HoS is chill.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #183197

Kor wrote:snip
Play sec in cult.
Sidon wrote:You know why Kor? Because it's a player problem on security's side. I wouldn't play security with half the fucks who whined in this thread. They literally want fun for NO ONE.

If you get lucky and roll a chill security team it's the best. Especially if the HoS is chill.
Mutual feeling, I wouldn't want to play with a lazy layabout thats fucking off at the bar whilst the station burns around them.
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #183212

I think Kor has a point that most players can be dealt with and won't give you shit unless you act like an asshole to them. I think though you were either: lucky to avoid a handful of specific players, or they knew you were playing sec so they didn't fuck with you. The 'thousand cuts' that Actionb was talking about come from the same 2-3 people every round. Line toeing grey tiders that start shit. People keep bringing up assholes that smash the brig's windows for no reason and expose the electric grilles. I thought about it and realized that if I think back, it stood out because it was 1 or 2 specific players doing it round after round after round in the same night. Maybe we need to be more proactive about ahelping repeat offenders. We all know the handful of assholes we have that only play to make things difficult. Being a nuisance every now and again is a core part of SS13's Autism Simulation, but if you go smash the brig's windows every single round you play, except for when you meta that the admins are on the sec team, then you suck ass.
--Crocodillo

Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183219

Kor wrote:TRIGGER WARNING RAMBLE

I played security a couple rounds last night and didnt really experience any of this. We had 3-4 people on the team both rounds. First was a boring stealth ops round where I never saw anything until delta happened, second was a slow traitor round. The most danger I was in was being slipped and having a foam ebow fired at me. I know anecdotes, but this has been my general experience with security lately. More boredom than stress like others are describing. The day before I was detective and chatted with some gangsters in the bar before a rival gangster hosed them down with uzis, then spent 10 minutes chasing him with a knife before finally shooting him. Still felt like a lazy silly round.

Ops are really the only antag I find completely frustrating and unfair to fight. They're immune to most of my weapons, their guns have ridiculous capacity and kill you in a couple shots, they have the element of surprise, better coordination, and often outnumber security significantly since them spawning makes the station understaffed.

Grey tide is very easy to manage. I just tase them and tell them to cut it out without arresting them, and that is usually enough to make them stop. The crew wont treat you like an enemy if you dont treat them like one for the most part (and the gulag covers the other cases). Hassling the clown for "assault" when he slips you or brigging an assistant for stealing gloves from tech storage is not worth the strife.

I guess the tl;dr is that I don't really feel all too miserable as security in most rounds.
You got lucky.

Last 20 rounds as sec I've been solo or two man security 14/20.
Sidon

Post by Sidon » #183225

Malkevin wrote:
Sidon wrote:You know why Kor? Because it's a player problem on security's side. I wouldn't play security with half the fucks who whined in this thread. They literally want fun for NO ONE.

Mutual feeling, I wouldn't want to play with a lazy layabout thats fucking off at the bar whilst the station burns around them.
Then sec will never be fixed as there is simply not enough players who want to be restricted like that
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #183233

Looks like HG was gobsmacked by this thread.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #183246

It's almost like this is a hyper-diverse community with a ton of perspectives and one of them isn't The Only Correct One That Must Be Enforced At Any Cost.

It's almost like the problems are being exaggerated to the point of insane weeping hilarity like every problem we have.

Nah.

So, admin here who might care about finding ways to gently (or otherwise) encourage positive change on the server. Give me your best summary, in one paragraph or less, of what I as an admin can actually do about the problems you personally sense with Security to make it better, in whatever way you think is better. More fun, stronger, less fascist, whatever your outlook is.
RIP
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183248

Hibbles wrote:It's almost like this is a hyper-diverse community with a ton of perspectives and one of them isn't The Only Correct One That Must Be Enforced At Any Cost.

It's almost like the problems are being exaggerated to the point of insane weeping hilarity like every problem we have.

Nah.

So, admin here who might care about finding ways to gently (or otherwise) encourage positive change on the server. Give me your best summary, in one paragraph or less, of what I as an admin can actually do about the problems you personally sense with Security to make it better, in whatever way you think is better. More fun, stronger, less fascist, whatever your outlook is.
I'll give you bullet points

- Less Events and Admin fuckery
- Reduced Antag Numbers (Seriously 1/4 of the players on the server being traitor in one round is fucking dumb)
- Restrict/scale round types depending on sec population. Disable conversion modes if less than 3 security.
- Enforce some kind of standard of play where fucking with security because you're bored isn't kosher. Just let sec either cave their skulls in from the word go or have some kind of policy around it.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #183253

Hibbles wrote:It's almost like this is a hyper-diverse community with a ton of perspectives and one of them isn't The Only Correct One That Must Be Enforced At Any Cost.

Nah.

Tell sec players they don't own the station and to relax a little.