Plasmamen Unfinished and neglected.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Plasmamen Unfinished and neglected.

Post by Falamazeer » #202168

I've recently taken to the concept of the plasmamen, and I've noticed a disturbing lack of care for them, I can live with that if it's a community choice, but from what I've seen, it's more or less wilfull ignorance for new features that are damning them entirely, rather than just a ingame punishment for snowflaking, which I could accept.

Let's look at the pros and cons for a moment:

Pros
Snowflake race.
Can set yourself on fire without reagents at cost to yourself healthwise.
Edit: cannot get viruses, helpful or not

Cons
-You breathe plasma, the (hopefully) least abundant atmosphere on station
-You take double damage from burns (From my dicking around, this seems to include cold, as that causes burn damage correct me if I'm wrong though) this includes being set on fire, lasers, welders etc etc
-You move slow, even slower if you wear anything that gives you slowdown.
-you start with ONE plasmatank, and you cannot put it in your pocket, and an emergency internals box that can kill you because it's not plasma.
-Silicons don't need to obey you, because you aren't human
-No head roles, or authority of any kind
-RP racism, because it's funny, which is fine, but it's still a con
-there are extra steps to clone you, which means it's much MUCH less likely to occur, if you die as a plasmaman, give up, it's not gonna happen
-Flash resistance, seems like a perk right? but no, it works like a loyalty implant in revolution rounds, extra step be damned, you just die, especially with double damage from being on fire, so it's very low odds anyone will remove hood, convert, apply burn cream and then help you stand up.
-Oh, and you catch fire from oxygen rich environments IE the whole station.I add this as an afterthought on purpose.

Pretty big list of negatives just to play a different race don't you think?
I think so, but I'm pretty sure that's 'as intended' but there are a few minor things I still would like to see adressed, I've already reported them as issues, but I'd like to hear a bit from the community, and soapbox a little more in hopes that some kindly coder sees my perspective and corrects them.

I feel that the starting plasmaman plasma tanks should fit in the pocket, it already fits the belt, and that can be useful, but holy shit it's so much nicer for you to be able to wear it in your pocket, also, the armor slot, just like any normal tank.

Furthermore, I've identified two bugs that haven't seemed to have garnered much attention as follows :

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/19724 the telegulag murders plasmapeople, by igniting them by removing their suit, and internals.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/19774 When wearing hardsuits, plasmamen don't take damage from being on fire, but stay ignited forever, no matter the steps taken to prevent it, making you a walking disaster catching your comrades on fire indefinitely.

I'm not asking for a lot here, just 3 little things removed from the massive con list to make the situation more liveable.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Plasmamen Unfinished and neglected.

Post by PKPenguin321 » #202193

>When wearing hardsuits, plasmamen don't take damage from being on fire, but stay ignited forever, no matter the steps taken to prevent it, making you a walking disaster catching your comrades on fire indefinitely.

this bug is as old as plasmamen and afaik is intention

the other bug was reported like 3 days ago calm down

also plasmamen start with spacesuits which is pretty much a huge advantage if you just wanna go space exploring

anyways yeah they're meant to be awful
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PlaugeWalker
Byond Username: PlaugeWalker

Post by PlaugeWalker » #202195

look, most the cons I can say are there yes. I used to avidly play plasma man, and yeah they never got the love though. There's an ic reason for no sec roles. They're a sort of pacifist race. Because, of being so fragile they're like the tau except less weak. They rely more on technology than anything.
Image\
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #202222

working as intended.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #202288

PKPenguin321 wrote:
this bug is as old as plasmamen and afaik is intention

the other bug was reported like 3 days ago calm down
It really shouldn't be intentional, either the space suit is sealed from the enviroment and thus space worthy and you shouldn't ignite, or it isn't, and it kills you in space. besides, it could be incredibly lethal, catch people on fire while wearing the atmos hardsuit, they stop drop and roll and then you AXE em, deadly as shit.

And yeah, I reported it three days ago, and look at my first response, nobody gives a shit.
PKPenguin321 wrote: also plasmamen start with spacesuits which is pretty much a huge advantage if you just wanna go space exploring
They don't, go play plasmaman and take a space walk, you die, possibly faster than normal actually due to space causing burn damage, seemed faster, but I'm not positive, either way, not space-worthy.
Armhulen wrote:working as intended.
Nah, I'm down with the con list, just not all of it, hardsuit fire bug, annoying roundstart tank, telegulag execution, three things I'm thinking are more oversight than actual features, and if they were features, they are for balancing a race that no longer has space suits.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #202395

ok well
plasmamen are shit on purpose
and that is all
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #202423

I'm glad people aren't encouraged to play plasmamen they are a nuisance
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #202511

The cons are the entire goddamn point. They're meant to be a hardmode race.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #202518

plasmamen heal from milk more if they find a way to drink it
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #202647

Luke Cox wrote:The cons are the entire goddamn point. They're meant to be a hardmode race.
Cox has it right. Apart from a few bugs they're wo as intended
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #203003

Falamazeer wrote: Nah, I'm down with the con list, just not all of it, hardsuit fire bug, annoying roundstart tank, telegulag execution, three things I'm thinking are more oversight than actual features.
Not asking for the moon here guys.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #203009

you're asking us to fix bugs that are already on the bugs list (aka to-do list)
ok
Spoiler:
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #203378

I already got a PR up to fix the gulag tele i just need to finish it. (sorry real life got in the way)
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #203498

PKPenguin321 wrote:you're asking us to fix bugs that are already on the bugs list (aka to-do list)
ok
Dood, where is your reading comprehension, My only replies in those bug reports were variations on "as intended" or "natural selection" at least when I started the soap-boxing, Why do I keep having to re-state things for you? I already said this in the original post, and again last time you brought up the bug reports I already made. Wilful ignorance is not an attractive trait bro.

Edit: Not targeting just you, most the replies in this thread are variations on that same crap defending the "hardmode" aspects of plasmamen, as if I'm trying to get the slowdown removed, or any number of annoying problems they face, It's just three little oversights that I want adressed, hence "Not asking for the moon here guys"
Jalleo wrote:I already got a PR up to fix the gulag tele i just need to finish it. (sorry real life got in the way)
Sweet, Real life is more important, I'm just psyched it's getting fixed, as honestly that one is the most vexing.