Megafauna and Black Box Feedback Thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Megafauna and Black Box Feedback Thread

Post by D&B » #202652

We have a thread for Lavaland but I feel a more focused thread should be able to get some good answers from people.

How do you feel about Megafauna?

How do you feel about the drops?

Have you interacted with the Black Box? If so, how do you feel about it?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Megafauna and Black Box Feedback Thread

Post by PKPenguin321 » #202668

one time i was fighting a drake and it was going really well and i was gonna win but i was strafing away from it and ran into a fucking colossus who was next to a watcher. the watcher slowed me down and i couldnt evade and the colossus instakilled me and evaporated me. later on as a ghost i was watching a fellow miner who found a second colossus and proceeded to kill it. i was very upset.

but yeah lavaland's pretty cool
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #202678

How does the Black Box drop?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #202681

killing colossus
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #202690

black box is really cool
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #202763

I think the black box is a novel idea and it's pretty neat having a little shared treasure cache amongst people stupid/robust enough to fight the colossus. That said, it being the only reward for fighting them means if you're fighting multiple colossi you only get a maximum of one reward (And bumping up your position on the leaderboard but I'm already #1 eat it)

Still, the colossus and megafuna in general are fun fights (Exception being the Legion megafauna who is just a giant bucket of HP)

Other stuff:
* I don't like that the ash drake has a fireball spellbook as a reward item. I think that the wand of fireball is fine, but instead of a Spellbook of Fireball and a Wand of Fireball, it should be a Wand of Fireball and a Spellbook of Charging. This prevent some of the stupid of gaining the item and fireballing people when you get stunned on station. There was one round where I got flashed by a rev in cargo, went out and killed a dragon then came back on station and killed 4 heads by myself due to how potent fireball is. One of them managed to stun me, but I fireballed him point blank and thanks to the armor, I survived and he didn't.
* All of Bubblegum's items are ban bait. I kill bubblegum and my options as a nonantag are to basically wait until the shuttle docks at Centcomm or pray that someone gets shouted at on the radio as a traitor to mark them for death. Or give demon's blood to someone who doens't know what it actually does.
* There's only one bubblegum possible come on bruh
* HKA's and especially modified HKA's are dumb and ruin megafauna
Last edited by Ergovisavi on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #202766

I'm vaguely grumpy about how easy it is to lure megafauna back onto the station; soon as a colossus gets on board, it's usually death for pretty much everyone on board. At least you can avoid the tesla ball or singularity, but the colossus just flat out annihilates every wall on the station. Bubblegum isn't too bad on station, and the Drake usually gets bored and hides in a corner of the station.

Actually fighting them on lavaland is fine, high difficulty fights for high rewards. Only minor complaint there is when bosses spawn too close to the mining outpost and shut down mining from the get go.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #202836

I've never seen one, what do they look like?
D&B

Post by D&B » #202845

Super Aggro Crag wrote:I've never seen one, what do they look like?
Huge Crystal like thing that can be used to save items that persist from round to round.

The most interesting property is that it will refresh an item. IE: A rod with no charges will be fully charged next round. Doesn't work with slime cores since they become a different item when used.

The one in bagil is loaded with magic, syndicate bundles, a gyrojet, a couple of Deagles, and a lot more shit. I've yet to see the contents of Sybil.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #202860

I've seen colossus end up on the station three times now, and they seem awfully deadly. Taking out every wall around them is...unbalanced...when the walls are keeping space out.

Perhaps something could be done to make them less deadly on the station itself?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #202886

Whenever I feel guilty about megafauna on station I remind myself that you can release a singularity significantly easier, and even buy a traitor item that lets you steer it.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #202916

Kor wrote:Whenever I feel guilty about megafauna on station I remind myself that you can release a singularity significantly easier, and even buy a traitor item that lets you steer it.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #202929

singularities are OUT gentleman it's the tesla era
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #202975

fuck tesla
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #202982

Once saw a drake and before I pissed it off I ran upwards right into a colosuss who insta killed me.

Laughed my ass off.

Also why were playable megafauna removed? It was insanely fun to be a colosuss and slaughter everything
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #202990

A playable version of colossus will make it's way back Soon(TM)
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #203004

Kor wrote:Whenever I feel guilty about megafauna on station I remind myself that you can release a singularity significantly easier, and even buy a traitor item that lets you steer it.
*adds Megafauna Bait to the uplink*
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #203006

time to sell mefauna lures for real money
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #203100

question, can i get banned for taking all the items out of a black box and throwing them in lava?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #203101

Nope, but you're gonna have a lot of salty people.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
D&B

Post by D&B » #203119

Armhulen wrote:question, can i get banned for taking all the items out of a black box and throwing them in lava?
You would need to:

1. Kill the colossus on your own

2. Fix the current bugged state of the box in order to completely clean it

3. Survive the bullets to the head you are more likely going to get.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #203125

D&B wrote:
Armhulen wrote:question, can i get banned for taking all the items out of a black box and throwing them in lava?
You would need to:

1. Kill the colossus on your own

2. Fix the current bugged state of the box in order to completely clean it

3. Survive the bullets to the head you are more likely going to get.
The bullets come after i dump it in the lava, my friend.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #203241

Honestly, the black box gives me bad vibes. It seems like anyone who finds it gets a bunch of free OP gear, and kind of breaks the whole "each round is self-contained" thing. If you happen to kill the colossus, you're suddenly the most equipped person of all time, and you can just put the stuff back in it at the end of the round to do it again.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #203343

TheNightingale wrote:anyone who finds it gets a bunch of free[/quote]
TheNightingale wrote:If you happen to kill the colossus
You make it sound so casual, but only nineteen* players have managed to take part in killing the colossus.

And only six* of those players have managed to do it more than once.

*since we started tracking kills
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #203346

Balancing around something that only like 5 players can do consistently is kind of weird though. I don't think any other jobs really have a skill ceiling quite as high, or such tangible rewards for being able to hit that ceiling.

EDIT: Viro/RD rush has a pretty high ceiling, but you can cheat and use a guide for that. Benefits usually spread to the whole crew vs one person as well.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #203420

The reality is those five people can basically be the most OP people on the station for the rest of their lives and that's bad and the blackbox just doesnt' work.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #203423

Yeah probably.

A lot of the balance discussions are pretty much nonsense considering our rounds are dictated by which players roll which jobs since we're obviously too small a game to have any sort of matchmaking.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #203424

Would be cool if we had more in depth stat tracking so we could see antag winrates when Mekhi is offline vs when Mekhi is HoS, for example.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #203433

tomorrow i'm going to kill the collosus using the most cheesy methods possible and throw the entire contents of the nigger box in lava.
then i'm going to put a photocopy of my arse in it.
I play Boris Pepper.
D&B

Post by D&B » #203435

Bluespace wrote:tomorrow i'm going to kill the collosus using the most cheesy methods possible and throw the entire contents of the nigger box in lava.
then i'm going to put a photocopy of my arse in it.
Good luck, the only way to cheese it is with double hyper ka's.

And skill.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #203466

could you put a live proximity-bomb in there and have that carry to a future round and blow up the next person to get the box?

Imagine the :salt:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #203483

No, the proxi sensor would be defused because new proximity sensors start off
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
D&B

Post by D&B » #203608

I wish we could still store magic books inside.

It's not like they drop often anyways.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #205843

PLEASE make it so bubblegum doesnt spawn right to deadrole structures, like the ligger base or the vet. It's annoying to become an ashwalker and then suddenly have bubblegum rush B and anihilate you and your nest
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?