Freon

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Freon

Post by Isane » #208981

Someone walk me through the logic of this still being a thing, because I've never seen a round with it where it wasn't either released by a nonantag, released by a team antag for some reason to fuck over their teammates, or released and then the server has to be restarted because it lags everything to the point of being unplayable.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Freon

Post by Saegrimr » #208995

I thought this was in the process of being removed
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #209003

i dunno guys, I do see the potential for it to be an amazing thing, Give it enough time to stop being a laggy shitty piece of shit, and I'm thinking it could be a lot of fun to toy with.

BZ on the other hand is a shitty terrible rehash of a broken system of hallucinations where every new trippy scene added has added another type of stunlock, be it fake crit, knocked over by fake antags, knocked over by nonexistant nightmare feul, or just throwing up just because.

Freon will be a kickass new gas eventually. coders involved know the issues present because they have eyes and hands the same as you, give it a while. Though honestly, who in the fuck thought it was ready for the server in it's current state?
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #209005

I love the idea of more dangerous gasses (plasma floods get old after a while), it just needs some practical applications. Also, admins need to be handing out bans for releasing this as a non-antag.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #209509

As someone who has done a lot of goofing [pun probably intended] with atmos, I can safely say there's no gas that will beat plasma, because plasma...

-- Ignites [THIS IS THE BIG ONE] which creates...
-- Heat/Pressure Overload, meaning Suits don't save you. However, you can always try to siphon it BUT
-- CO2 from the fire floods the pipes instead of the plasma, which means plasma already there [not leaving] is given more plasma or Oxygen to recreate the process in case you did poorly the last time. If you pipe waste into distro, you'll still be deadly via pressure spam from CO2 and heat emitted from it as well.

I've tried other mixes like a CO2 Supercool flood [silent but not really deadly], N2O/CO2 supercool mix [obvious and still not really deadly], and pure plasma. The BEST mix to ruin someone's day is your favorite turbine mix.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #209528

As tator atmos tech, get noslips, atmos hardsuit, voice changer and agent ID. Get a flamethrower, fill the tank with freon and become MISTER FREEZE

CHILL OUT
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
SJ212
Byond Username: Seanjohn212

Post by SJ212 » #212222

seems like ever since freon was added my framerate has been tanking a lot.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #212225

What killed the dinosaurs?

THE ICE AGEEEEE
cancer_engine
Byond Username: Cancer_Engine

Post by cancer_engine » #215544

freon makes no sense. Cold gasses already existed.
This breaks phsyics and is therefore dumb.
Is this even still in the game?
t. dont play

I wanna start playing again soon and this is a game ruiner for me so pls tell me its removed already
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #215545

It'd be great if it could be used to cool down a room that's been super heated to the point that being in the room for like five seconds will put you in crit.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #215548

cancer_engine wrote:freon makes no sense. Cold gasses already existed.
This breaks phsyics and is therefore dumb.
Is this even still in the game?
t. dont play

I wanna start playing again soon and this is a game ruiner for me so pls tell me its removed already
Reels
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #215603

THE TRUE POWER OF GOOFBALL'S FREON IS THE POWER TO STOP TIME!
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224190

Ok this shit seems really odd, the ice it creates never melts, temperatures drop to -200 and I have no idea who you are supposed to remove it.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #224208

Syphoning it should work... Also space heaters theoretically should heat the freon and unfreeze it(unsure about this)
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #224212

CPTANT wrote:Ok this shit seems really odd, the ice it creates never melts, temperatures drop to -200 and I have no idea who you are supposed to remove it.
Crowbar up tiles to remove the ice

And use scrubbers, floor and air alarm versions to remove it
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224215

lzimann wrote:Syphoning it should work... Also space heaters theoretically should heat the freon and unfreeze it(unsure about this)
Now that shit stays frozen even if there is a plasma fire on top.

You can crowbar floortiles, but that doesn't really help when there are no floor tiles to begin with or it is other stuff that is frozen.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #224217

Items cannot be unfrozen. Apply a new floor tile to frozen plating.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #224221

Is items not being able to be unfrozen a feature? It seems kinda bullshit and also like a bug
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #224222

It's intentional, makes Freon more dangerous. Just don't throw frozen items.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #224223

Wyzack wrote:It seems kinda bullshit and also like a bug
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #224224

Wyzack wrote:It seems kinda bullshit and also like a bug
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #224227

Nice to see none of you can read and refuse to acknowledge that bug != thing I don't like

Just don't throw frozen stuff and it won't shatter
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #224229

Okay but like, what gameplay purpose does never being able to be thawed actually serve? It flies in the face of logic. I am not saying to make it easy but having it stay frozen forever because ??? seems lazy and counterintuitive
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224230

Seeing something frozen while a giant firestorm surrounds it with temperatures of 10000K around it seems rather......stupid.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #224232

It stays frozen so that you can't immediately clean up a Freon leak and act like nothing happened. This isn't a muh reelz case. I might change it. But don't go around saying things you don't like are a bug, it makes me want to fix it less the more you lie that it's a bug.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #224233

To clarify i said i thought it was a bug because it really did not seem intentional that frozen things can never unfreeze, not because i didn't like it (although i don't)
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #224234

Less of a bug and more of "Oversight? It's a feature."
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224238

Also I want a way to make this stuff as an atmos tech, so we can have !!!FUN!!!
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #224240

I think its funny (but terrible) that freon is able to freeze chunks of fire and plasmafire, might want to look into fixing that.

It'd be nice to be able to have things be able to be unfrozen, as it would be cool to implement it as a strong mix in a supermatter engine.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #224243

If it didn't freeze stuff 5ever I'd have thought it would have been very useful as coolant for the turbine and SM engines.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #224488

I agree with Anonmare, though I may have made it a liquid and not a gas, hell make a way to freeze Nitrogen into a liquid nitrogen that functions like a semi-permanent foam and develop mechanics for it to be used in piping or other equipment to cool or absorb lots of heat.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #224598

yes, do this goofball.

prove them wrong

prove them all wrong
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #224661

But seriously why do frozen things never thaw?
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #224663

it has been explained please read posts
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224671

iamgoofball wrote:it has been explained please read posts
but seriously goof, you don't think ICE in a PLASMA FIRE doesn't look kinda.....odd?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #224681

it's super freeze gas m8
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #224741

Just handwave it as an endothermic reaction that causes crystalisation if it bothers you that much. It's no sillier than achieving blast furnace temperatures by mixing two gas at room temp in a earth normal pressure hallway.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #224891

Things not thawing is bullshit and doesn't make sense and just makes Freeon incredibly irritating and the worst gas. It's obsessively worse then plasma just because plasma can at least be filtered out. Once freeon is released, wherever it was is more or less just permanently fucked without an insane amount of effort nobody will ever want to bother with.

Frozen items are also bullshit because everything frozen becomes immediately unusable. I dunno if traitor objectives and the like can shatter but I am pretty certain that they probably do because you justify your shitty code with excuses.

"More dangerous" is just a dumb meme, when freeon already is annoying enough when released. Making a place a slippy slidey ice hell is awful when it's released, it doesn't need to be made 'worse' even when the gas is cleaned up. Fire doesn't leave places permanently uninhabitable, any breaches they cause can be rebuilt fairly easily. With Freeon Hell you have to not only rebuild everything, you have to first tear down everything, so you can even rebuild it in the first place.

Have you ever witnessed anyone successfully cleaning up an area that was covered in Freeon? Most places that get Ice Hell'd are often just abandoned due to annoyance of the ice.

Also there's the fact you cant' avoid slipping on the ice... even with magboots or any other method that would normally allow you to bypass slippery bullshit. It makes it even worse then space lube because at least lube goes away over time. Freeon is a guaranteed stun that will also make you drop your items and will probably take you somewhere far away from where you dropped them, often making retrieving the item an unholy pain in the ass because you have to crowbar and replace several tiles just to get to the item, or place a stupid fucking Ice Puzzle minigame to get where you want to go.

Every other gas you CAN clean it up and act like nothing happened. Why does Freeon have to be a special snowflake?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #224896

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Frozen items are also bullshit because everything frozen becomes immediately unusable. I dunno if traitor objectives and the like can shatter but I am pretty certain that they probably do because you justify your shitty code with excuses.
Not to defend the dumb idea of shit not thawing, but what makes that different from a plasma fire where nearly everything turns to ash instead, including everything you're wearing?
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #225765

Plasma flood doesn't always guarantee a plasma fire. Plasma can be cleaned up with few ill effects (other then the fact it's hard to completely clean out any bad gas without tedium). Freeon on the other hand guarantees ill effects that WILL linger for the rest of the round.

Burned areas don't have lasting effects that make them obnoxious to go through, bar complete destruction of the area. A completely destroyed area is much easier to repair then having to destroy the area first (frozen shit) then rebuild it to get rid of the effects.

Heat from fires dissipates quickly, whereas heat does not return to chilled rooms except after an extremely long time, if ever, depending on how good the atmos system in the room remains to be.

Burning is an arguably easy way to clear out a plasma flood, but there's no easy way to get rid of Freeon without the guarantee that the room will be cold and icy for the rest of the shift.

The Freeon equivalent of the Plasma Burn Test that's in right now is a good example of how utterly obnoxious Freeon can be and how it compares to plasma fire. It always leaves Dorms an icy mess and is never ever ever fixed.

Frozen shit being unable to be frozen also doesn't make realistic shit and is a shitty, obnoxious game mechanic.

There's nothing immune to being frozen, there's no natural 'freeze-proof' items like there are fireproof items. There's nothing like fire closets in the station that are relatively easy to access to negate the effects of freeon, outside of straight EVA, which still doesn't protect you from Icy Floor Bullshit. There's nothing to prevent slipping on freeon, making it a perma space-lube.

Things you wear burning wasn't originally intended in the game, and backpack and belt slots can't be burned off (because it would be annoying to play CE or atmos tech and deal with fires otherwise). Jumpsuit burning off is the only really major thing you'll see fire taking from you, and those are easy to replace.+