Whet stonea

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Whet stonea

Post by calzilla1 » #209359

They're not bad in then selves but holy shit it turns the chef job from "food maker"to the "the beholder of the whet stones" that fucking half the station feels obligated to swarm the chef either to rush for the vending machine or to murder him for the whet stones. (Can we at least make it an official rule that anyone trespassing in to chefs kitchen can be ground up into spare meat? )
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Re: Whet stonea

Post by Shaps-cloud » #209364

You're allowed to defend your workspace if people encroach on it, and if they don't take the hint at first then you're totally allowed to escalate to gibbing them if they're especially shit

That being said, I can see how having to constantly fight off people and escalate fights that you may not always win would be tenable, yeah
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #209369

toss them out

if they "escalate" into killing the chef because "bluhbluh I was defending myself he attacked me while I was breaking into his department and stealing his shit" then ban them for killbaiting

easy
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #209372

engineering's are ID restricted.

not sure about botany. sec's probably are.
calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #209373

Bartenders (which is esspecially insulting) also when i mean half the station, the cap too (but he doesn't really attack)
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #209498

Yeah the chef's vending machine is the only job specific vending machine that has no ID lock.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #209514

Pretty sure it had an ID lock at one point, I remember having to get it hacked as a counterdiving assistant "chef"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #209517

Why the hell is their only one whetstone? Why couldn't someone make one?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #209520

Someone code a barrier that only blocks mobs so the chef doesn't have to worry about people jumping the table.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #209557

Scott wrote:Someone code a barrier that only blocks mobs so the chef doesn't have to worry about people jumping the table.
It's called the shutters.
Push the button and slam rowdy customers who think they're a fucking monkey climbing on tables.
If you're robust, shove them in disposals with the stun time it gives. Otherwise grab -> throw back on the other side.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #209574

Bombadil wrote:Why the hell is their only one whetstone? Why couldn't someone make one?
there are 2 in the vendor and they're limited because they went through like 40 stages of compromise just to get merged. increasing the force on objects is super controversial apparently.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #209607

If you're worried about them being stolen... take them and put them in your bag? Does no one do this? If anyone asks just say someone already came in and stole/used 'em.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #209611

Sidon wrote:If you're worried about them being stolen... take them and put them in your bag? Does no one do this? If anyone asks just say someone already came in and stole/used 'em.
Great idea, except some people line up at the kitchen like it's the HoP office at round start.
I did it once, Not my proudest moment, but they were a shiny new toy and I wanted it more.

which really is the heart of the problem, which isn't a problem, new stuff gets played with, it's a hot commodity, but given time the problem will shrink. because of course it will, like everything else, remember when the radio became an actual physical location you could manipulate or explode? people were critting themselves to multitool all the little parts.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Re: Whetstones

Post by Slignerd » #209623

Maybe make them craftable from some sandstone and metal? That way, mining should be able to produce some.

Initially thought of just sandstone, but that would mean each and every ash walker would run around with a sharpened spear.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #209627

Metal, sandstone, and an all access ID

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #209628

Remind me why people aren't being banned for breaking into the Kitchen just to steal whetstones (and probably fighting back against the chef for it)?
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #209637

TheNightingale wrote:Remind me why people aren't being banned for breaking into the Kitchen just to steal whetstones (and probably fighting back against the chef for it)?
Because being a bit of a dick isn't punishable by death, and not every conflict comes pre-packaged with an admin to hold you hand through it. Dry those tears, You're embarrassing yourself.

It's not like stealing the chem-masters or the armory here bro, The chef still has a round to return to, and plenty of meaningful tasks to fulfill himself with, even if it's chasing down and cleaving the motherfucker who took all his whetstones to sharpen dual-toolboxes.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #210111

I play chef regularly and have grown to despise whetstones.

Earlier today I played a round where the captain barged in while I was cooking, shot me with disablers, then dragged me to the HoP office to confiscate my gear and demote me to zero access. His reason?: I used up one of the whetstones to sharpen my kitchen knife. Nevermind the fact that I was a good chef and had spent the round cooking pastries for the crew; he didn't get to powergame with a sharpened sabre and that meant my round had to be ruined.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #210112

pubby wrote:I play chef regularly and have grown to despise whetstones.

Earlier today I played a round where the captain barged in while I was cooking, shot me with disablers, then dragged me to the HoP office to confiscate my gear and demote me to zero access. His reason?: I used up one of the whetstones to sharpen my kitchen knife. Nevermind the fact that I was a good chef and had spent the round cooking pastries for the crew; he didn't get to powergame with a sharpened sabre and that meant my round had to be ruined.
ahelp that shit :v
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #210148

Screemonster wrote:
pubby wrote:I play chef regularly and have grown to despise whetstones.

ahelp that shit :v
^
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #210166

He did, and it was handled, though probably more lenient than it should.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #210273

as long as the guy got a note and told not to do that stuff it doesn't matter too much if the admins didn't shit on him
either he'll not do it again in which case problem solved, or he will do it again in which case you get to say "we told you to knock that off" and shit on him with one of these
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #210289

Saegrimr wrote:
Scott wrote:Someone code a barrier that only blocks mobs so the chef doesn't have to worry about people jumping the table.
It's called the shutters.
Push the button and slam rowdy customers who think they're a fucking monkey climbing on tables.
If you're robust, shove them in disposals with the stun time it gives. Otherwise grab -> throw back on the other side.
You mean push the button over and over until they stop breathing right?
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #210321

^ Chefs job is to rip and tear.
The gibber cares not from where the meat flows, so lomg as the meat does flow.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210322

I once climbed over a table, so that a Medibot inside the kitchen could approach me and heal me. Then a non-antag lizard chef started slamming the shutters until I went to crit and proceeded to stab me to death. I don't think admins reacted when I ahelped, either...

I should play chef more, I guess. Apparently it's a license to kill people, then gib their corpses for meat.
Last edited by Slignerd on Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reece

Post by Reece » #210348

Did you ask first?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #210355

Reece wrote:Did you ask first?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210356

People's priorities are amazing. There's a heavily injured person who seeks medical aid from a Medibot.

"YOU DIDN'T ASK FIRST!! DIE!!!"

How come that people the most insistent on "asking first" have the most cancerous attitudes?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #210358

You were going in there for a medbot. The chef is not fucking psychic. How the holy hell do you expect him to know you were not just there to steal stuff
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #210359

Wyzack wrote:You were going in there for a medbot. The chef is not fucking psychic. How the holy hell do you expect him to know you were not just there to steal stuff
Why would you kill people for climbing on your table once.

Shit escalation.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Reece

Post by Reece » #210360

Sligneris wrote:People's priorities are amazing. There's a heavily injured person who seeks medical aid from a Medibot.

"YOU DIDN'T ASK FIRST!! DIE!!!"

How come that people the most insistent on "asking first" have the most cancerous attitudes?
If I was that chef my thought proccess would basically be "Oh here comes someone to wordlessly steal a knife, how can I rapidly stop said person with minimal risk to myself?" The answer to which would be "Shutter crunch till dead"
How come you mamage to see yourself as the wronged party when you wordlessly tried jumping into another department where a load of high damage melee weapons are stored with no indication of why you were there. How about communicating next time.

As to Archie's comment. If someone kills you with ashutter crunch chances are once you're back you'd try kill them, or have sec brig them for it. Why take the risk.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #210361

I am not saying the chef should have killed him, but seriously how hard is it to type say hey mind if I use your medbot
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Reece

Post by Reece » #210362

Meh, I'd shutter crunch then drag you to medical, but only because the kitchen is basically a dammed fortress for some inane reason. Shit's more secure than the brig.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210363

Reece wrote:If I was that chef my thought proccess would basically be "Oh here comes someone to wordlessly steal a knife, how can I rapidly stop said person with minimal risk to myself?" The answer to which would be "Shutter crunch till dead"
How come you mamage to see yourself as the wronged party when you wordlessly tried jumping into another department where a load of high damage melee weapons are stored with no indication of why you were there. How about communicating next time.
Yeah, because me climbing in, waiting for Medibot to approach me and being about to leave once injected isn't clear enough indication. It's not like I wouldn't have already entered if I wanted. How about you use grab intent and throw once someone is stunned instead of outright murdering people?
Wyzack wrote:I am not saying the chef should have killed him, but seriously how hard is it to type say hey mind if I use your medbot
How about you don't murder people if they do not type that? It's not like it's the first thing on their mind when singulo is out and they are injured.
Reece wrote:Meh, I'd shutter crunch then drag you to medical, but only because the kitchen is basically a dammed fortress for some inane reason. Shit's more secure than the brig.
They dragged me inside the kitchen and stabbed the remaining life out of me with a kitchen knife. So, yeah.
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #210364

Should have been noted that there was a singularity loose that time and Sligneris was trying to flee from it.
Reece

Post by Reece » #210370

Sligneris wrote:
Reece wrote:If I was that chef my thought proccess would basically be "Oh here comes someone to wordlessly steal a knife, how can I rapidly stop said person with minimal risk to myself?" The answer to which would be "Shutter crunch till dead"
Yeah, because me climbing in, waiting for Medibot to approach me and being about to leave once injected isn't clear enough indication. It's not like I wouldn't have already entered if I wanted. How about you use grab intent and throw once someone is stunned instead of outright murdering people?
Why should I take the risk? I've walked into medical as a ling and faked a collapse to kill a target before. You're putting the onus of interpreting and trusting your actions onto the person who's department you have wordlessly broken into. If you want something then it is up to you to ask, not doing so leaves a vagueness where it is very possible to interpret your actions as a prelude to being detrimental to my coninued life in the round. So why should I take the risk? If I crunch then throw you away one off five things happens next.
1) You get back up and try again.
2) You get back up and try the door.
3) You get back up and attack me with a ranged weapon.
4) You get back and call security.
5) You get back up and leave.
Of those options the majority are detrimental to me, and I don't enjoy deadchat. If I kill you however one of three things happen.
1) You remain dead, my round continues on unmolested.
2) You get dragged to medical by someone else or myself, I have time to fort up or inform security and waylay any reprisal from you.
3) You get borged and I am safe from reprisals by your laws.

The lethal option simply poses far less risk, and I'm sorry but I'm going to take the choice that lets me reduce the risk the most because I dislike dying.
Wyzack wrote:I am not saying the chef should have killed him, but seriously how hard is it to type say hey mind if I use your medbot
How about you don't murder people if they do not type that? It's not like it's the first thing on their mind when singulo is out and they are injured.
Why not simply ask? Does it hurt you to ask? If you want something then the onus is on you to request it.
Reece wrote:Meh, I'd shutter crunch then drag you to medical, but only because the kitchen is basically a dammed fortress for some inane reason. Shit's more secure than the brig.
They dragged me inside the kitchen and stabbed the remaining life out of me with a kitchen knife. So, yeah.
Dick move on their part. I''ve shutter crunched loads of people, never gibbed them afterwards. Either borged them or dragged them to medical, generally my priprities are to keep myself alive and playing, then keep others alive and playing.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #210372

TheNightingale wrote:Remind me why people aren't being banned for breaking into the Kitchen just to steal whetstones (and probably fighting back against the chef for it)?
I had to APM a captain who demoted a chef for, and I quote, "using the whetstone wrong".
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #210374

Do you think people will be rational when a singularity is bearing down on them?
Reece

Post by Reece » #210375

I can manage it. Typing "Need medibot" or "medibot dying" is no strenuous and announces your intention.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210376

Waiting on the table, and standing still while a Medibot injects me kind of makes my intention clear as well.
Reece

Post by Reece » #210377

Or your still in the stunned period and are about to jump down. Why take the risk?
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210379

Because maybe you shouldn't randomly assault people as non-antag, let alone kill them? In this case "risk" doesn't justify anything. Your reasoning is like security executing all prisoners for every crime. Broke a window? Execution. They might greytide later to get back at security for their previous arrest, or are actually an antag - why take the risk?
Last edited by Slignerd on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reece

Post by Reece » #210380

Maybe you shouldn't break into places you haven't any right to without so much as a word and expect people to guess that you're gonna be non shitty to them. If you don't want to get shutter crunched then take actions to prevent being shutter crunched. The least of which is informing the chef of your intentions with a simple two word sentence.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210382

> If you don't want to get killed then you must do X arbitrary thing I want you to do so that I don't kill you
> Otherwise I'm just gonna assume everything worst and jump straight to murder instead of throwing a stunned person out

How are people like you not even banned yet.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #210384

Once again i am not defending murdermcchef but what the actual shit do you people have against interacting with people? Asking someone for something they have is not an arbitrary task. We are not asking you to jump on one foot and recite the declaration of independence, simply a basic level of human interaction. Why not just try it next time and not get killed? Clearly the admins agree to some degree or we would not be having this conversation right now
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Reece

Post by Reece » #210387

Because only you're mentay stunted enough to think a two word sentence is an onerous and unreasonable thing,whereas everyone else can achieve basic communication.
Honestly I'm confused how you can think you're somehow a victim here when in the middle of a crisis you wordlessly break into someone elses department (filled with melee weapons and a way to permanently remove someone from the round) without so much as saying anything. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Would you do the same to the brig? Or hydro with deathnettles?
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210388

You're the one who considers "they might kill me while they're in the same room as me", "they might try to tresspass again" or "they might call security on me" acceptable excuses to murder people for climbing a table, so I'm not sure if it's me who is mentally stunted here.
Reece

Post by Reece » #210389

Sligneris wrote:You're the one who considers "they might kill me while they're in the same room as me", "they might try to tresspass again" or "they might call security on me" acceptable excuses to murder people for climbing a table, so I'm not sure if it's me who is mentally stunted here.
Reading is hard for you isn't it? I don't consider people in the same room as me murderous, I consider people wordlessly breaking into my department filled with high damage melee weapons and a gibber a pretty big threat to me. That's the difference there, you seem to think you should be able to waltz everywhere you want to without any repercussion and expect everyone else to automatically understand what you want and why, whereas I fully understand that people are in fact people not mind readers and will react poorly to me wordlessly breaking into their department. Which is likely the reason that you, not I got shutter crunched to death whereas most of my interactions with the chef consist of 'Hey can I have X' followed by either a 'no fuck off' or a 'yeah sure'

Here's a basic tip for acquiring things and not dying: There's a little bar at the bottom of the screen with a chat verb, if you type things into it then your little spessman will say them and assuage the worries of the other little spessmen that you might in fact be a murderous lunatic coming for their head.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #210390

kitchen is a restricted area (moonlighting is NOT ok)
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210391

They tried to enter the kitchen without saying why.
They must die.

They are stunned by shutters now. Should I throw them out?
No, they might try entering again. They might try calling security. They must die.