Anom Crystal Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Anom Crystal Feedback

Post by Cobby » #210854

***NOTE: This is coming from me as an observer and not from someone who has obtained one after defeating colly***

Can I get opinions on this crystal? In all honesty, from what I've seen, a bulky crystal that 1) you don't EXACTLY know what it does until you trigger the 2) unknown activation that you also have no idea what that is outside of badminnery or going through the code-list [or if you don't do that you're just trying everything] just doesn't seem very warranting as boss loot. In fact, most people stated before this was even implemented that it's a shame these features are tied to boss-loot [for varying reasons].

In my opinion, I don't think it's a warranted drop from one of the more difficult monsters. I don't even see why people bother with colly outside of achievements or glittering new-feature. Maybe I'm just being a negative nancy or a powercreeper, but I think it should be at least on par with other boss items [relative to the boss' difficulty], which I think this feature is lacking.

On the other hand, Lightgeist are really cute and probably the best feature in the game if they could speak to other kawaii-jellyfish.

In Short, I like the anom crystal and think it's pretty neat, just not as boss-loot.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Jarek
Byond Username: JarekTheRaptor
Github Username: Jarektheraptor

Re: Anom Crystal Feedback

Post by Jarek » #210858

Doesnt seem that useful from a powergamey 'I just killed a big monster, now I've got some loot I can use to mass murder everyone like the spectral sword (Occasionally) or the mayhem in a bottle, But it is fun from a standpoint where you now have to now learn what it does by getting help from the crew, like security for a laser gun, if THAT happens to be the trigger, or genetics/cloning to help use the shadowling revive function if that happens to be it, Or for the clown for some godawful reason if it happens to turn people into clowns.

Hell, it even has a useful function for traitors if you manage to get the function to possess animals, since you can become a roach and go just about anywhere. Thats just me though.
[01:57:09]ADMIN: PM: Unicorn_dream/(Miguel Eliza)->Bgobandit/(Spends-the-Fortune): fuck myself
(F) C A P T A I N U N D E R P A N T S (Station Engineer) has arrived at the station at Arrival Shuttle.

Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #210864

I made this feature literally because I wanted the colossus back in the game because danmaku is fun

Some things you can do with it:
  • Slowly turn the station into a frozen wintery hellhole
  • Slowly turn the station into lava land where your KA does full damage
  • Fix hull breaches and the like by turning it into a jungle (Okay this is kinda weak and I should give it a better gimmick)
  • Turn the place into an alien station (ALIEN ALLOY IS WORTH RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS OF CARGO POINTS THIS IS BASICALLY UNLIMITED CARGO POINTS KILL THAT FUCKIN COLOSSUS)
  • Refresh your antag items so that they're fully charged / fully loaded, like you can use your traitor chemicals, refresh the bottle and have it be full again, or refresh your shotgun for more free bullets
  • Spawn an army of floating squids that can heal people constantly
  • Possess small simple animals to vent crawl, then unpossess them whenever you want (Might be too weak)
  • Slowly turn everyone onto the station into clowns (Which also gives you clumsiness and dupes your ID), which can cripple security and allow Honkamania to run wild
  • Fire out unlimited amounts of some pretty bullshit projectiles like meteorshot or spellblade projectiles
  • Instantly revive anyone once (Though it does turn them into shadowpeople)
Some things about it I don't like
  • I need to remove magic activation. While yes, you can get two wands of nothing from the clown's vendor - You have to hack it and have a coin and have theater access. It's just too much of a goddamned pain
  • Possibly remove the bullet activation and replace with something easier
  • Make some of the more confusing effects more visible
  • Remove the basic emitter projectile from the projectile crystal, it's just not interesting
  • Make it more obvious that the lightgeist crystal turns it on permanently so ghosts can just respawn as lightgeists whenever they want
  • Lightgeists don't have a medical hud and can't speak to each other but I was concerned with taking up another language bitflag for a very minor mob
Jembo
Byond Username: Jembo

Post by Jembo » #210870

Killed two yesterday, couldn't get them to activate so I gave them away. Doesn't do anything to improve mining, and sometimes requires an outside source to activate. Given how it's a kill, or be removed from the round sorta fight. You at least would figure the drop could be activated independently from other departments.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #210871

It's pretty bad, honestly.

One thing I don't like about bubblegum and Colossus drops is that using the items dropped by bubblegum will get you bwoinked most of the times. However, some items (like the demon heart) are a good reward for taking the time to be able to kill bubblegum since it rewards you with an ability that is not outright lethal and just better movement.

The drake is a good example of balanced loot. Even thought the staff of lava is just guaranteed grief, the sword is useless unless the ghosts cooperate with you, and the spellbook serves more of a self defense method unless you use it to randomly set people on fire. The best reward from the drake being the armor that lets you survive the weather and being bulky enough for you to take a few hits and use melee mining weapons more effectively. Fighting a drake is rewarding because it enhances your survival rather than letting you be more lethal outright.

Colossus is too difficult to put a strange object as a reward for killing it. I would have liked something that gave you the old legion healing, or something Evangelion related (since it is a reference to Evangelion, after all.) But as it stands, killing the colossus is unnecessary and a huge amount of grief if a random death bolt hits other miners. Which is usually the case since it has a long travel time.

It's fine as an item, just not as a boss drop. I'd suggest leaving it in until the cheese methods are resolved (Like virology being able to make viruses that heal you through storms and recover 1/3 of your health per second.)
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #210872

I think it is neat. Not everything needs to be EBIN POWER GAYMAN BATTLE WEEBOO FIGHTAN MAGIC stuff anyways
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #210880

Wyzack wrote:I think it is neat. Not everything needs to be EBIN POWER GAYMAN BATTLE WEEBOO FIGHTAN MAGIC stuff anyways
I agree, I just think it's not very fitting as a device you get for killing a boss that's noted in the code as "very hard" and "extremely deadly" AND can permanently remove you from the round [at least as that character] if you fail to kill it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current