The Being, or "Another Goddamn Xhuis Gamemode"

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

What should the antagonist be called?

The Being
39%
The Protean
30%
Other (leave a reply)
9%
I don't care
21%

Total votes: 33

jaxy15
Byond Username: Jaxy15

Re: The Being, or "Another Goddamn Xhuis Gamemode"

Post by jaxy15 » #213374

Bottom post of the previous page:

Plasma cutters should do extra damage to Necromorphs Follicles.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #213385

jaxy15 wrote:Plasma cutters should do extra damage to Necromorphs Follicles.
Weaknesses will depend on what the Corpuscle had adapted to be resistant to. Once it unlocks a certain research, it will be able to choose what to resist (with a hefty cooldown), at the cost of being vulnerable to that thing's opposite.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #213387

you're considering redoing the food web? I thought it was a nice way to challenge the being in that he needs to adapt to the station and balance growth while upgrading.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #213403

Armhulen wrote:you're considering redoing the food web? I thought it was a nice way to challenge the being in that he needs to adapt to the station and balance growth while upgrading.
I'm definitely going to keep a research tree, but I'm not sure how I want to do it. I'm torn between:
  • Multiple trees
  • How cost should be handled
  • A "make a choice, move onto next tier" thing like the research in the SC2 WoL campaign
Things like that. There's never been anything this complex in SS13 before so it's hard to decide implementation.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #213413

Will Integration Parasites be the only way to integrate a machine, or can it happen passively?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #213456

Anonmare wrote:Will Integration Parasites be the only way to integrate a machine, or can it happen passively?
It'll happen passively with a small chance if a machine has Being infection below it, but parasites are more reliable.

On an unrelated note, this is a reminder that I'm accepting all ideas and suggestions of any kind for this.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #213458

Xhuis wrote:
Anonmare wrote:Will Integration Parasites be the only way to integrate a machine, or can it happen passively?
It'll happen passively with a small chance if a machine has Being infection below it, but parasites are more reliable.

On an unrelated note, this is a reminder that I'm accepting all ideas and suggestions of any kind for this.
I personally like the idea of a more passive integration, but this works too.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #213549

Instead of spending biomass to advance in the food web, you could have some Brain Matter organs that give you food web research points over time; you can spend biomass building and defending these, for faster research, or you can forego them for a quick expansion.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #213581

XDTM wrote:Instead of spending biomass to advance in the food web, you could have some Brain Matter organs that give you food web research points over time; you can spend biomass building and defending these, for faster research, or you can forego them for a quick expansion.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep Biomass and research separate. I'll think on it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #213626

Xhuis wrote:
XDTM wrote:Instead of spending biomass to advance in the food web, you could have some Brain Matter organs that give you food web research points over time; you can spend biomass building and defending these, for faster research, or you can forego them for a quick expansion.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep Biomass and research separate. I'll think on it.
if i may put my two cents in, you shouldn't keep them seperate. It may be (but probably isn't) harder to balance 'brain points' or whatever and it just adds a lot of unnecessary complexion, considering they are made by brains built out of biomass anyway.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #213628

Yeah just make it one resource that everything draws from. Like you have to constantly choose if you want to push forwards against the crew with weaker mobs or spend a chunk of biomass buying upgrades to make them better at the cost of being able to rush with fewer dudes.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #213726

ShadowDimentio wrote:Yeah just make it one resource that everything draws from. Like you have to constantly choose if you want to push forwards against the crew with weaker mobs or spend a chunk of biomass buying upgrades to make them better at the cost of being able to rush with fewer dudes.
this, and really once you finish the research web you got all you really need for a goodmode, don't overcomplicate it like with ratvar
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #213748

OP updated with a poll for naming. I still can't really decide.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #213756

>Protean

I love it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #213759

I'm not sure about the suggested names, they don't really reflect the organism in my personal opinion. Like a Blob is called what it is because it's a shapeless, directionless mass of ever-expanding flesh.

I'm partial to something like "The Mass" or "The Infection", since it more closely reflects the creature and how it works and highlights the uniqueness of it since it's not "a" blob but The Mass/Infection.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #213760

Anonmare wrote:I'm not sure about the suggested names, they don't really reflect the organism in my personal opinion. Like a Blob is called what it is because it's a shapeless, directionless mass of ever-expanding flesh.

I'm partial to something like "The Mass" or "The Infection", since it more closely reflects the creature and how it works and highlights the uniqueness of it since it's not "a" blob but The Mass/Infection.
i change my vote to this, it's very fitting
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #213762

also can someone explain how the ceiling creatures/buildings work? are they just invisible?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #213774

Armhulen wrote:also can someone explain how the ceiling creatures/buildings work? are they just invisible?
Like normal, they just have a sprite that fades out towards the top.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #213775

Xhuis wrote:
Armhulen wrote:also can someone explain how the ceiling creatures/buildings work? are they just invisible?
Like normal, they just have a sprite that fades out towards the top.
that makes a lot more sense, okay
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #213809

"The Infestation", "The Corruption", perhaps? Failing those, I also vote for "The Infection"
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #213830

Poking around in latin a bit for terms you can mangle in ways that sound cool.

viscus means viscera, flesh, entrails, internal organs, offspring, carcass

If you want something like a scientific name or gamemode title:
crescat viscus for "growing flesh"

viscus machinae for "flesh machine."

viscus inmutae for "flesh that changes"

viscus tendae for "flesh that spreads"

viscus vescori: vescor means eat, feed, devour, enjoy, live
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #213851

If I could I'd find people who think like that and shove Latin grammar textbooks up their asses.
As it stands all I can do is cringepost about posts that make me cringe.

Also, just call this thing The Beast.
[youtube]dQgrQVv4rSE[/youtube]
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #213903

I did say "mangle", feel free to offer versuons that actually work under rules of latin grammar. The Beast sounds good to me though.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #214071

Looks alright so far, but we won't ever really get a idea until it can be tested. I thought you were working on a dead by daylight game mode though, Was looking forward to trapping shitters in bear traps and spiking em.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #214139

Durkel wrote:I thought you were working on a dead by daylight game mode though, Was looking forward to trapping shitters in bear traps and spiking em.
Nah. I had said that I would be able to remake shadowling to be similar to it (and I can) but I was never followed up on it.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #214226

I think we should call this game mode Meat Mode
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #214547

Some more organs have been added to the design doc, and I'm adding some more as we speak. General and balancing feedback appreciated.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #214616

I really like the theme you're going with, slow but terrifying mosters that you're not supposed to attack alone/unprepared.

The integration parasite should probably be quicker/automatic, the hard part in the integration should be reaching the machine more than using it.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #215003

I vote The Beast, it scared the fuck out of me when I was young
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #215120

I'm gonna be real disappointed if nobody ever says "Long live the New Flesh" at least once during this gamemode.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215155

Apologies for the slow rate of updates for this. I've been busy with a lot of other things. I'll get some more work done today.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215156

I should note that, due to feedback, I have decided that integration will be passive. It will always occur on eligible machines if the infection spreads to its tile.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #215169

This is giving me Beneath A Steel Sky vibes.
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215236

The Food Web's example researches are done, along with elite researches for each of the four trees.
Their names are "All Will Serve", "Biotic Integration", "Technological Domination", and "Queen of Blades".
Feedback and suggestions appreciated as always.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #215295

I'm not sure about Drones being integretable into The Being since it might encourage players to occupy a Drone shell, ventcrawl into a Being infected area and deliberately let themselves be infected and run around with a license to griff. Maybe Being infected tiles could be innately hostile to Drone life instead.

If the infected machines can be used by player-controlled Being infectees, the ones their retain their dexterousness anyway, they could produce posibrains and cyborg endoskeletons fresh for integration.

I also had some thoughts about how other machines might react when infected.
  • I was thinking that the research servers in R&D could reduce the cost it takes to research something in the foodweb, maybe 5-10% per server to a maximum of 50% if any madman actually ever makes that many for some reason.
  • Turrets could have their faction replaced and fire on non-Being mobs (silicons included) and not respond to turret behavioral controls to turn off.
  • Emitters could have their orientation changed and be activated/deactivated by The Being.
  • SMES units could function similarly to Lungs but "consume" electricity instead, or contribute to biomass production depending on how much charge they have with diminishing returns if someone upgraded the SMES units.
  • Particle Accelerators could leak radiation that is harmless to The Being's flesh and creatures but not so harmless to anyone else.
  • The gibber (and the slime processor too since they're basically the same thing) functions the same way as a stomach.
  • Taking over telecomms equipment will allow you to intercept radio messages over other channels. I.E. Taking over the server that manages the Security channel will let you hear on it, taking over the bus mainframe it's on will let you send messages to that channel but they'll come out garbled and the name associated with you is similarly garbled while taking over the processor will let you send coherent messages using the name of whoever you've Taken (Maybe make it that being too wordy makes you sound slurred or drawing out your words), you'd only be able to send the coherent message as long as you have the bus mainframe it's assosciated with as well. Taking over the T-Comms Hub let's you change the connections as if you had a multitool.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #215302

I've also been doing some research on body horror and I'd highly recommend watching David Cronenberg's stuff if any spriter wants inspiration on how to portray visceral horror. I pulled the quote "Long live the New Flesh" from Videodrome (Specifically this scene NSFW:)
Spoiler:
[youtube]-wyrwOJJtNw[/youtube]
You could also use Dead Space/System Shock 2/The Thing(1982 not that 2011 crap)/Aliens etc. Beneath a Steel Sky got mentioned and there's also the Master from Fallout 1 if you really want to go old school.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #215354

And on a biomechanical, spaceship-consuming scale, Homeworld-fucking-Cataclysm.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215386

Well, after reviewing my options and the current forum posts, I've realized that there's zero reason for me to not start coding this.
Off I go.

Edit: I should mention that, although the design doc doesn't say much, follicles are affected by the health/damage/whatever upgrades, and there are a lot of researches that benefit them directly. I didn't forget about them!
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215440

This is the first tangible bit of progress. It's admittedly not much and uses a horrendous codersprite that's temporary, but behold: the corpuscle.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #215449

I like that the old body is merged with it, makes it seem more, I dunno, insidious?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #215455

Every corpse absorbed should add to the sprite. THE FLESH GROWS
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #215546

ShadowDimentio wrote:Every corpse absorbed should add to the sprite. THE FLESH GROWS
Like the thing from Slither? Hell yes
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #215547

Screemonster wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Every corpse absorbed should add to the sprite. THE FLESH GROWS
Like the thing from Slither? Hell yes
Slither's antagonist is called Grant Grant.

GRANT
R
A
N
T

It is the most B movie piece of shit in existence and I love it.
私は完璧
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215745

I'll be posting noteworthy development updates here, so make sure to check back often.

Speaking of which, here's the first one. Sprites are temporary, as usual.
Edit: I assume you'll check this again Remie, so: how do I add extra hands to a human? No reason.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #215751

change_number_of_hands(amount_of_new_hands)
eg:
change_number_of_hands(4), you now have 4 hands.
私は完璧
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #215753

>Multiple hands

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215754

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Multiple hands

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT
;D
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #215779

How much force damage does the integrator do? From the number of swipes and the fact the test dummy was still alive afterwards I'm guessing it's between 20 and 30?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215780

Anonmare wrote:How much force damage does the integrator do? From the number of swipes and the fact the test dummy was still alive afterwards I'm guessing it's between 20 and 30?
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #215792

Xhuis wrote:This is the first tangible bit of progress. It's admittedly not much and uses a horrendous codersprite that's temporary, but behold: the corpuscle.
I know it's a codersprite, but one quick thought:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #215799

Dagdammit wrote:
Xhuis wrote:This is the first tangible bit of progress. It's admittedly not much and uses a horrendous codersprite that's temporary, but behold: the corpuscle.
I know it's a codersprite, but one quick thought:
The image is generated from the appearance of whoever rooted. It'll be a lot more irregularly fused in the final sprite.