new sprites

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

new sprites

Post by J_Madison » #216253

I don't like them. It breaks the classic feel of SS13. It's too bolded, sharp, and generally unfitting to the true style of SS13.

The shotgun shells look awful, pens got changed; I don't like the changes at all.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Re: new sprites

Post by calzilla1 » #216254

J_Madison wrote:I don't like them. It breaks the classic feel of SS13. It's too bolded, sharp, and generally unfitting to the true style of SS13.

The shotgun shells look awful, pens got changed; I don't like the changes at all.
I agree 100%. seriously we don't need new sprites. Especially that fuck awful body bag. Still gonna say that they look like goon station rejects
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #216263

disagree
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #216264

if people honestly think that these are acceptable and dont like like feces than i dont understand how you can have an issue with these new actually good sprites
Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #216278

I think everyone agreed that lizard changes were God awful and only fetish fuel disguised as a nerf for ash walkers.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #216284

J_Madison wrote:[Complaints]
You're wrong.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #216285

I plan to resprite lots of stuff. Right now there's a style clash, so obviously it doesn't work out too well. We'll be seeing improvements over time, and the game will steadily look better and better.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #216287

The lesson learned from this series of PRs is that people hate change.
I like the new sprites though.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #216289

The folders seem a little off somehow, but look okay.
The flaming paper looks dumb.
The stamps look like ring-pops. Or buttplugs. Whichever end you want to put them in I guess.

Also i'm assuming this is the PR that everybody is yelling about https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/20829
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #216292

Atlanta-Ned wrote:
J_Madison wrote:[Complaints]
You're wrong.
That's fine. I have a right to be right or wrong. I'm not the only one that has taken a disliking to WJ's recent slump in sprite quality.

WJohnston wrote:I plan to resprite lots of stuff. Right now there's a style clash, so obviously it doesn't work out too well. We'll be seeing improvements over time, and the game will steadily look better and better.

here's the issue why changes can be made against the wishes of the community;
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... -249338883

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you can literally push anything into the game if you can dismiss the reasons not to do so as "subjective opinions".

My subjective opinion is that these sprites do not belong in the current art climate of SS13 and you should stop forcing the art to change around you, and everyone to use your current art.

I don't like the art direction. And as the "biggest SS13" codebase, it's forcing all other downstreams to go based on your art style which I don't like.

I do not see improvements over time. I do not see the game looking better and better. In fact your limbs update has done nothing to improve game experience or make visuals look better.

In my opinion.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #216299

I will admit, I don't like the "slightly top-down" perspective. Also, a good few of the sprites don't actually need updating. Still, they're better in quality than what we have now, and WJ - whether you like him or not - has by far the most experience spriting here, so I'd say he's the best person to make judgements on our quality.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #216300

the shotgun shells look like sausages dipped in paint and the furniture too shiny. It looks like some superbright ikea commercial rather than a gloomy megacorp's space station.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #216301

Xhuis wrote:I will admit, I don't like the "slightly top-down" perspective. Also, a good few of the sprites don't actually need updating. Still, they're better in quality than what we have now, and WJ - whether you like him or not - has by far the most experience spriting here, so I'd say he's the best person to make judgements on our quality.
Alright but can we not turn this into "Who" and just judge the sprites as is? I don't care if its the flaming ghost of An0n3 riding a stitched up flesh doll of Paprika drawing sprites on an $8,000 apple-brand tablet with the tips of his quad-dong, if a sprite looks like ass it looks like ass. Fortunately most of these look alright.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #216306

Saegrimr wrote:the flaming ghost of An0n3 riding a stitched up flesh doll of Paprika drawing sprites on an $8,000 apple-brand tablet with the tips of his quad-dong
Sure, but I'm happier about the hurricane currently hurtling towards my state than I would be if that existed.
calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #216316

A question: WHO ASKED FOR THIS?!
There's a FUCK TON of things people complain about in this game, SPRITES AREN'T ONE OF EM. So why change em? Fucking every time someone changes a sprite people get mad (see: sec uniform). The current sprites are fine. If we need 3d esque sprites we would ask/steal from/copy goon station. Also, there are a shit load of sprite less PRs who would love a bit of wjohn magic.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #216318

calzilla1 wrote:A question: WHO ASKED FOR THIS?!
There's a FUCK TON of things people complain about in this game, SPRITES AREN'T ONE OF EM. So why change em? Fucking every time someone changes a sprite people get mad (see: sec uniform). The current sprites are fine. If we need 3d esque sprites we would ask/steal from/copy goon station. Also, there are a shit load of sprite less PRs who would love a bit of wjohn magic.
Yes because a spriter doing sprites prevents coders from doing code.

This post is even more pointless than sprite changes.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #216335

calzilla1 wrote:Also, there are a shit load of sprite less PRs who would love a bit of wjohn magic.
Saegrimr wrote: Yes because a spriter doing sprites prevents coders from doing code.
?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #216337

Kor wrote:?
Aside from the dumb way I worded it, it's looking like he's complaining someone who primarily sprites isn't fixing other non-sprite related complaints he has.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #216340

luckily none of the opinions here matter
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #216410

The paper bin looks nothing like a paper bin. It looks like an iPad.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #216448

The paper bin, at least as it was previously drawn, is little more than a small metal box with an open top. I just put that in 3/4th perspective instead of whatever the hell it was at, before.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #216453

I liked the previous paper bin sprite more.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #216518

yeah that one is true actually, i dont think paper bins work too well with the new perspective
Spoiler:
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #216588

oranges wrote:luckily none of the opinions here matter
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #216615

I miss the grille resprite, it looked pretty cool.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #216642

i think they look too much like goon, which I really don't like... and I had no problems with the old sprites
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #216743

I personally like the style, but I liked the somewhat slanted perspective of things such as filing cabinets, chestdrawers, paper bins and so forth opposed to the top down view of the new sprites. However, I do like the quality, as it has a sort of warm cartoon-y aspect to it that makes it fairly inviting and fun feeling. Of course, at the time, due to the large clash between these and the rest they just seem odd, I'd love to see more work done on things such as other items, structures, turfs and clothing before making a real judgement.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #216758

The paper bins are ugly imo.
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #216917

The paper bins don't work in that top down style at all, they look like tablets instead.

Don't really mind the rest, some are a bit jarring but I can get used to them, save for the red and orange glasses. Please change them back and make the aviator style an entirely new item. The old ones looked like ballistic glasses and were subtle and stylish, the new ones look like you're wearing some sort of bug eye. Then again I'm probably the only person who ever wore them.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #217237

Red and orange glasses were not me, I'll take a pass over them in the future once I get to... shudders ...CLOTHING.

Also I went ahead and did some minor palette updates for various sprites, they should have less contrast burn.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #217322

The new perspective is shit, the slightly to the side was better, everything looks flatter now
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #217343

Now he's moved onto IDs

Someone stop this madman
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #217345

Chairs are next.

That's gonna be a PR all on its own, no other modifications.

This is gonna be a long fight :\

I'm cherry picking lots of files as I pass down through here alphabetically.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #217353

The IDs should be fine. We came to an agreement on the gold ID colour after I compared the two different golden IDs to a real gold bar in room lighting.

You'll likely face grilling over each replacement Sprite if someone doesn't see it feel fit.
calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #217613

The candles are fine and i like the new box, but those IDs... S T O P

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #217630

Just please get rid of the paper bins.

I don't see what's wrog with the IDs, though.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #217631

I can rework paper bins. It's on my todo list alongside the basketball hoop. I'm not happy with how either one turned out. The original paper bin had so little to work with, it's not a good idea to keep it the same way it used to be. Maybe I can find a more interesting design for it.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #217632

Can we have racks that actually look like racks?
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #217656

btw wj if you need any code changes for stuff lemme know
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #217756

Colors and perspective are both off. The style itself isn't inherently bad, but it clashes severely with everything else we have. How did this ever get merged?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #217772

I mean if wj is willing to put in the time to update a fuck load of sprites and take the art in a new direction then why not? General resistance to change?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #217775

I'd like fatsprites first pls an thank
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #217809

Wyzack wrote:I mean if wj is willing to put in the time to update a fuck load of sprites and take the art in a new direction then why not? General resistance to change?
Looks awkward right now when it's only part way done.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #217839

You'll live
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #218345

I hate the new IDs. They look blurry.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #218429

It's a sad day when I have to agree with shadowmemes.
They need sharper edges.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #218444

They're literally the same shape as they are right now with better lighting. There's high enough contrast between the outline and the fill and the highlight to prevent it from looking like AA. I don't understand?? The old ones were literally more blurry by having more gradients and pillow shading.