Remove Chasms

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Combine Changeling with Borer

Post by D&B » #231569

Bottom post of the previous page:

That still doesn't give any sense of direction to borers, and if the ling decides to go on a rampage later it kicks him in the ass because he now made a bunch of coordinated crewmen with healers that want to keep people alive to make more babies and reproduce.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Fix Chasms

Post by Poorman » #233013

It's not a huge problem, but lavaland chasms are just way too punishing, even for the deathtrap known as lavaland. It's not only an instant kill, but an instant destruction of the player mob, all for the horrendous crime of stepping on a tile. It's totally out of sync with the rest of the game.

Not paying attention for 2 seconds or hitting a lag spike shouldn't ever be punished with instant death and mob removal. Surely there's a better way to implement chasms.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Fix Chasms

Post by Saegrimr » #233016

tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Poorman

Post by Poorman » #233034

So I should necro a thread from 2 months ago instead of posting a new one?

I'd really appreciate it if you fucked off, buddy.
D&B wrote:Get good.

Also get the fuck out of here with that "totally out of sync" bullshit when there's an antag type that can only be stopped by destroying the corpse permanently.
That's such a terrible comparison. Equating the need to kill changelings by gibbing them to an instant death and gibbing for stepping on a tile isn't even remotely similar. And it absolutely is out of sync. Nothing on lavaland is so punishing for making a mistake.

Seriously. I wouldn't even be that opposed to chasms if there was some sort of 5 second opportunity to get back on land before you fall, or if it didn't totally destroy your corpse. It's just so out of wack with absolutely everything else.

You can take several hits from megafauna, but that won't totally expel you from the round.

You can walk around in space or in fire for several minutes like a retard, but that won't expel you from the round.

But if you step on a chasm tile, a chasm which you didn't cause and had no idea was there, or fall into one due to server lag, it's fucking over.

Why not make people that die to fire totally burn to ashes and be uncloneable?

Why not make people who step out into space without a suit burst when they die due to the vacuum?

It doesn't make any sense.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233038

Poorman wrote:So I should necro a thread from 2 months ago instead of posting a new one?

Everybody else does for some reason, but no the intention was to get you to read everything you're going to hear in this thread anyway.

Namely.

"Git gud"
"How did you even die to that"
"Git gud"
"No really git gud theres a handful of items that specifically prevents you from dieing to these"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #233039

You are literally one of two people who has a problem with them. They are dangerous but if you pay attention it is pretty simple to not step in them
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
D&B

Post by D&B » #233041

Do you even play mining often?

Fucking colossus dusts you. Bubblegum makes an area an impossible passage due to how much blood he produces, and the new swarmers are the definition of unbalanced.

Just buy a goddamn jaunter.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Poorman

Post by Poorman » #233046

D&B wrote:Do you even play mining often?

Fucking colossus dusts you. Bubblegum makes an area an impossible passage due to how much blood he produces, and the new swarmers are the definition of unbalanced.

Just buy a goddamn jaunter.
I do play mining, and you're clearly not getting what I'm saying

If you quantify every individual action in space station 13, every individual mistake, you can understand what I mean.

Getting hit by a single colossus projectile does not instantly gib you. An extended fight with them does, but not taking the first blow.

Taking a single hit from bubblegum isn't an instant death from full health.

But accidently walking on a tile is.

It would be far more fair for something along the lines of taking huge chunks of brute damage, around 70 or 80, and pulling yourself back up from the bottom of the chasm. That would make more sense. But you could be having the best mining round of your life, then blink and fall into a chasm you didn't see.

It's absolutely not in line with everything else in the game difficulty-wise, and you have to be an idiot not to understand that.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233048

Buy

A

Jaunter
Poorman

Post by Poorman » #233050

Saegrimr wrote:Buy

A

Jaunter
Not having an item is still not in line with instant gibbing.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #233061

Poorman wrote:
So I should necro a thread from 2 months ago instead of posting a new one?

yes you dipshit, that is the only reason to a necro a thread
Poorman

Post by Poorman » #233082

oranges wrote: yes you dipshit, that is the only reason to a necro a thread
Don't waste time on pointless shit.

Nobody is actually trying to counter my argument with anything other then "get good", which is a total non-argument that does nothing to address the point that I made about chasms. It's just shitposting that means literally nothing.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233083

Poorman wrote:
oranges wrote: yes you dipshit, that is the only reason to a necro a thread
If you've got such a big fucking problem with it, then delete the thread.

Otherwise don't waste time on pointless shit.

Nobody is actually trying to counter my argument with anything other then "get good", which is a total non-argument that does nothing to address the point that I made about chasms. It's just shitposting that means literally nothing.
He merged your thread with the old one

PS: Seize attributes which are associated with glory and goodness
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Remove Chasms

Post by Arianya » #233119

From a game design point of view, the point of lavaland is that its meant to be high risk, high reward. While you're correct that most other things aren't the lapse of a single mistake, having chasms serves a key point of keeping people engaged.

In terms of general advice for exploring lavaland without getting chasm'd:

a) Learn your route to the base and back. Avoid walking near lava or chasms whenever possible
b) If chasms are in dangerous places, wall them off with sandbags. Same goes for lava.

I can understand your concern, but it adds a real "attention" cost to lavaland that helps mantain that atmosphere of high risk high reward.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #233124

Could do with a resprite to make them a tad more obvious at most. Maybe a sinister pulsing green or blue glow to hint at the lower layer that might be added someday.
Poorman

Post by Poorman » #233175

Arianya wrote:From a game design point of view, the point of lavaland is that its meant to be high risk, high reward. While you're correct that most other things aren't the lapse of a single mistake, having chasms serves a key point of keeping people engaged.

In terms of general advice for exploring lavaland without getting chasm'd:

a) Learn your route to the base and back. Avoid walking near lava or chasms whenever possible
b) If chasms are in dangerous places, wall them off with sandbags. Same goes for lava.

I can understand your concern, but it adds a real "attention" cost to lavaland that helps mantain that atmosphere of high risk high reward.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be in the game, just an instant death and destruction of mob from full health is absurd.

I'd be ok if falling into a chasm dealt something like 80 brute damage if you fall into it, your character hitting the bottom and then having to crawl back up. Otherwise, if it puts you to or below 0, and acts as it does now.

That's a bit more in line with punishment in terms of everything else on lavaland, a bigger hit then any singular mining mob but it's fair due to the multiple items you can have to get out of it, in addition to the fact that it's a still hazard.

Lavaland is absolutely high risk, high reward, but I just think the punishment for making mistakes should be consistent across the board, otherwise you get issues in game design where things they add have inconsistent levels of punishment and difficulty.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #233204

I've removed posts that did not have feedback to add.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #234026

So do the jaunters only teleport you to safety if their in your belt slot? Can i put them in my pocket slot instead? Jaunters fit in pockets. Usually i have an explorers webbing in my belt slot
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #234042

want to make chasms more fun? cover them with glowshrooms & plant vines because vines wont drop into them until shit is thrown at them & glowshrooms dont give a fuck.

Eitherway, its irritation but very easily avoidable, moreso if you actually bring along a sheet of metal or rods with you to grille around dangerous ones.

Spoiler:
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #234334

Well, considering I recently fell into one due to the bug where your light source lags behind you, and thus I am instantly permanently killed despite being an antagonist which is normally extremely fucking hard to kill(changeling), I am inclined to agree they need changing.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #234349

Saegrimr wrote:Ah yes of all the unfair things on Lavaland, you complain about the one that doesn't move, doesn't chase, and doesn't particularly do anything.
fucking lolling at this
watch yo step nigga like ahaha just look at the floor
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
D&B

Post by D&B » #234360

firecage wrote:Well, considering I recently fell into one due to the bug where your light source lags behind you, and thus I am instantly permanently killed despite being an antagonist which is normally extremely fucking hard to kill(changeling), I am inclined to agree they need changing.
Gentlemen.

I am dead.

Please nerf
Spoiler:
fuck you
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #234366

D&B wrote:
firecage wrote:Well, considering I recently fell into one due to the bug where your light source lags behind you, and thus I am instantly permanently killed despite being an antagonist which is normally extremely fucking hard to kill(changeling), I am inclined to agree they need changing.
Gentlemen.

I am dead.

Please nerf
Oh kinda fuck off D&B.
danno

Post by danno » #234367

you died to lag
you can't nerf something based on it killing you because it lagged
you can't balance a game around someone lagging
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #234368

maybe if you're a changeling you should avoid the things that can permanently kill changelings
D&B

Post by D&B » #234369

Use sandbags to close them off.

You get them pro bono roundstart
Spoiler:
fuck you
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #234647

danno wrote:you died to lag
Danno, not lag. The issue where lighting lags behind your character, or sometimes just stays left behind somewhere in maint.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #234656

Serves you right for fucking off for the firsts hour of the round to whore up some turbomirder gear to go with your built-in adrenals and healing and thermals and super speed
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #234674

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Serves you right for fucking off for the firsts hour of the round to whore up some turbomirder gear to go with your built-in adrenals and healing and thermals and super speed
> Typically OP antag

> Goes to lavaland to go collect loot, really says a lot about loot balance huh?

Spoiler:
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #234799

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Serves you right for fucking off for the firsts hour of the round to whore up some turbomirder gear to go with your built-in adrenals and healing and thermals and super speed
Actually, another ling was being killed on mining by, what I assumed was a traitor miner. I went to save them. I couldn't give a fuck about mining.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #234811

firecage wrote:
Danno, not lag. The issue where lighting lags behind your character, or sometimes just stays left behind somewhere in maint.
you died to a lighting bug
you can't nerf something based on it killing you because your lighting bugged
you can't balance a game around someone experiencing a clientside lighting bug
danno

Post by danno » #234815

Screemonster wrote:
firecage wrote:
you died to a lighting bug
you can't nerf something based on it killing you because your lighting bugged
you can't balance a game around someone experiencing a clientside lighting bug
^ exactly this
you could have had a lighting bug and walked into lava, or a shocked grille, or anything else that harms and/or kills you
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #234893

Shaft Miners have mesons anyway, the light thing isn't an issue for them.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #235440

Kor wrote:Shaft Miners have mesons anyway, the light thing isn't an issue for them.
Uh it is when your fighting a legion in an ash storm.

Also does jaunter saving only work in belt slot? I usually have explorers belt can i put it in my pocket instead

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #235441

Only belt slot yeah
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #235444

Kor wrote:Only belt slot yeah
But why? Why cant i put it in my pocket and get the same effect. They fit in pockets.

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #235447

Bombadil wrote:
But why? Why cant i put it in my pocket and get the same effect. They fit in pockets.
Pockets are 'concealed' on your person, you wouldnt have time to whip out your jaunter if you're already falling out of range down a chasm, also you can put it INSIDE your explorer webbing (which its on the belt as a mining toolbelt almost) more conveniently.

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #235448

Bombadil wrote:
Because otherwise you'd wear both the explorer belt and the jaunter and you wouldn't have to make any sort of choices.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #235449

Wait does it work even if inside a container as long as the container is on the belt slot? I've always assumed that you had to trade your whole belt slot for the jaunter as the price you pay for being chasm-proof. Fwoosh don't spread lies
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #235515

Fwoosh is incorrect