Projectile Speeds

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Projectile Speeds

Post by kevinz000 » #226029

Old projectile speeds were too slow, tasers could easily be OUTRAN, not just dodged, unless you were right next to them, all projectiles are ridiculously easy to dodge.
New projectile speeds are EXTREMELY fast, EXTREMELY hard to dodge unless you have VERY fast reactions, and people are /complaining/ that they're too fast.
Are new speeds good, are old speeds better, or more importantly, should we try to find a middle ground for projectile speed that isn't too slow and too fast?
My personal opinion is that new speeds are good except for certain magic projectiles, and sniper rifles (snipers are as fast as the code will allow without hitscanning)
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Re: Projectile Speeds

Post by lzimann » #226046

The old projectile speed was fine. No clue why it was changed to be honest.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #226050

People started yelling about realism and outrunning guns again
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #226060

You're not supposed to be able to dodge them, you never were supposed to be able to dodge them.

The game just improved to the point where your input was actually recognized fast enough.

Basically, just get used to it.
Digdugxx
Byond Username: Digdugxx

Post by Digdugxx » #226062

Suddenly lots of people are going e-bow e-sword murderbone at least on Sybil because the darts are basically instant travel time.. not fun.
Spoiler:
Qbopper wrote:One of the few posts on the forums to make me genuinely laugh out loud, well done
:]]]
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #226066

oranges wrote:You're not supposed to be able to dodge them, you never were supposed to be able to dodge them.

The game just improved to the point where your input was actually recognized fast enough.

Basically, just get used to it.
But movespeed used to be way faster by default, and was changed with a single var, you can't say that was a bug and not a design choice.

If you think it's better now, fine, but don't pretend it was never intentional. They're also far faster now comparatively than before a recent lag fix made them feel slow.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #226080

lzimann wrote:The old projectile speed was fine. No clue why it was changed to be honest.
yeah this

le "it was never meant to be dodged" isn't true as far as i can tell, saxxing is a meme as old as time.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #226088

Old projectile speeds drastically favored people being chased, as tasers/disablers had no chance of hitting unless your target is less than 3 tiles infront of you or running at you.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #226108

Do pixel projectiles make shots less likely to go straight? I mean the increased deviation plus pap's stupid range limit on taser bolts, I mean no wonder it was a dodgers paradise before this.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #226123

Incomptinence wrote:Do pixel projectiles make shots less likely to go straight? I mean the increase deviation plus pap's stupid range limit on taser bolts, I mean no wonder it was a dodgers paradise before this.
In my experience pixel projectiles made things harder to hit, you can't fire in a straight line without clicking EXACTLY right.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #226135

kevinz000 wrote:Old projectile speeds drastically favored people being chased, as tasers/disablers had no chance of hitting unless your target is less than 3 tiles infront of you or running at you.
Yea and now the projectiles just instantly reaches you!
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #226145

ranged weapons already have the benefit of being... ranged weapons, that you can fire in some cases multiple times in the time it takes for someone to strike with melee once and ready another swing. Why do they need to be buffed?

I thought chases where people desperately try and juke away from security/whoever had a taser/ebow was fun, but now pretty much any chase that goes down a straight hallway is pretty much a 100% win for the guy with the gun, did sec really need this buff?
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #226173

Changes like these combined with the multiple knee jerk reaction nerfs up on git currently are really making me lose faith in our codebase. I don't understand why we need to constantly change shit under the pretense of realism when we have literal fucking wizards, space defying teleportation, and other equally retarded prospects.

Good fucking lord, stop touching the code if you're angry about something.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #226217

Durkel wrote:Changes like these combined with the multiple knee jerk reaction nerfs up on git currently are really making me lose faith in our codebase. I don't understand why we need to constantly change shit under the pretense of realism when we have literal fucking wizards, space defying teleportation, and other equally retarded prospects.

It's not about realism, outrunning bullets and lasers is retarded gameplay wise.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #226225

CPTANT wrote:
Durkel wrote:Changes like these combined with the multiple knee jerk reaction nerfs up on git currently are really making me lose faith in our codebase. I don't understand why we need to constantly change shit under the pretense of realism when we have literal fucking wizards, space defying teleportation, and other equally retarded prospects.

It's not about realism, outrunning bullets and lasers is retarded gameplay wise.

Ranged weapons already let you attack from a distance where people with melee weapons can't retaliate, let you attack multiple times in the time it takes to attack with melee (usually with more damage as well, compare multiple 20 burn lasers in a second versus a single 10 force baton smash), and in no way preclude your ability to use melee yourself. You can dump a laser gun into someone from a distance and then close in for the kill with the advantage of having more health, acting like this is necessary to keep guns in line with melee weapons for balance purposes is retarded since they're already demonstrably better and can be used alongside melee weapons anyway
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #226237

Shap wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

Ranged weapons already let you attack from a distance where people with melee weapons can't retaliate, let you attack multiple times in the time it takes to attack with melee (usually with more damage as well, compare multiple 20 burn lasers in a second versus a single 10 force baton smash), and in no way preclude your ability to use melee yourself. You can dump a laser gun into someone from a distance and then close in for the kill with the advantage of having more health, acting like this is necessary to keep guns in line with melee weapons for balance purposes is retarded since they're already demonstrably better and can be used alongside melee weapons anyway
How does this make it any less retarded to outrun bullets?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #226245

You just keep repeating "it's retarded" as if it's self evident, you have yet to articulate a reason why though.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #226258

CPTANT wrote:How does this make it any less retarded to outrun bullets?
CPTANT wrote:It's not about realism, outrunning bullets and lasers is retarded gameplay wise.

You are a bad poster and you make bad posts
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #226381

Projectiles should be dodgeable, but not easily so. Personally I think only a small increase would have been good.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #226415

It's stupid that you can outrun a projectile in the sense that theoretically you can never get hit by one.
It makes playing sec hell as you have a harder time hitting any unruly assistant who knows that they are being targeted.
I've seen sec run out of ammo more times than actually hit an assistant.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #226423

My point would be we passed through a nadir in precision and this feels like the resulting overreaction but hey it's repeating uncreative sound bites in post form that gets responses so:

"it's retarded"
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #226424

It's not retarded, it's gameplay. Stuns, both melee and ranged, each have their pros and cons. With ranged stuns you trade accuracy and duration for range. This means that if you want to stun/damage an unsuspecting target, you have to get close to him. Otherwise it would just be plain unbalanced to be stunned or killed by someone from the other side of the room. This balance allows players to quickly and easily assess the threat level posed by people around them at a glance, the closer they are, the higher the threat. Gameplay has been like that since time immemorial, any change must be tweaked very carefully as to preserve it.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #226433

>Gameplay has been like that since time immemorial

And in almost every other videogame/boardgame/tabletop game/pen and paper game involving a mix of melee and ranged as well. Giving every single advantage to the kind of combat that is already inherently better by being ranged is silly.