Toolbox sprites

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Toolbox sprites

New sprites (Goonstation)
34%
Old sprites (TG aka the stuff we've been using for years)
66%

Total votes: 95

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Toolbox sprites

Post by Incomptinence » #254924

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cheri has been pulling the ironic line their opinion is objective fact for so long they probably believe it by now.

So cheri wanty no reverty.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #254925

imblyings wrote:[doofy sunglasses toolbox]
This will be useful in the near future.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #254926

"Classic" and "Modern" themes in options, everybody wins
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #254933

Yakumo_Chen wrote:So when are we actually going to be able to push a revert PR that coders won't ignore?
don't hold your breath cause you'll pass out and die long before we change our minds now
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #254935

Oh please oranges all it takes is one person higher in the pecking order to change your mind.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #254942

Just out of curiosity, what else is getting resprited? I heard turfs being brought up. Will things like walls get it too?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #254973

With how flat this toolbox looks danno could do amazing floor tiles.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #255013

Incomptinence wrote:With how flat this toolbox looks danno could do amazing floor tiles.
Roasted
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #255025

your death throes sustain me
and floor tiles are going to look O.K.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #255028

I mean he's not wrong.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #255130

Are we getting more walls with the floor tiles? Will the perspective stay the same, or be a bit more skewed?
danno

Post by danno » #255132

Someone is working on a perspective walls idea and I mocked up some placeholder stuff for them to use

It would depend on a wall changing how it looks depending on your relation to it. If you're south of it, you see the south side. North, the north side. Etc.

Chances are it won't pan out. Walls are an indomitable conundrum. The walls we have right now might simply be the most practical way to go about it, period.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #255147

~up where we beloooong~
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #255148

danno wrote:Someone is working on a perspective walls idea and I mocked up some placeholder stuff for them to use

It would depend on a wall changing how it looks depending on your relation to it. If you're south of it, you see the south side. North, the north side. Etc.

Chances are it won't pan out. Walls are an indomitable conundrum. The walls we have right now might simply be the most practical way to go about it, period.
yeah probably. wall mounted machines with perspective walls is a headache
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #255150

With those perspective walls what is the walls' actual shape since it leans away on either side?

Toblerone walls?
danno

Post by danno » #255165

look at this dude incomptinence already salty about something that probably will never happen
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #255176

Too much perspective is all I am saying it basically means it's sloped probably on both sides for a straight wall.
danno

Post by danno » #255180

after all this time and your brain still doesn't work so good
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #255200

Yeah sure I get it is meant to be perspective from the player's bird's-eye view but then everything should look like you where doped up on skewium if you are holding to that viewing angle.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #255221

Hah! I don't know how pull requests work.

This is Round 2 of Now Getting Shit Added To The Game, with me knowing the absolute bare-bones basics and trying not to fuck everything up. I'm hoping to get to Round 3, which is where I try actually code something, but in the meantime, there's this.

Actual Size, scale to the storage.dmi file and the images at the start of this thread...
ImageImage
Scaled-up for a detailed look...
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Alternative "new" toolbox sprites. They're the Goonsprites, given back the third dimension, with a handle tweak.

I think I vaguely know how pulls work now. Is it worth putting this one up?

EDIT: Made them a pixel taller than the Goonsprites, as well. Also, added the Syndiebox, which I'd entirely forgotten about on my first pass. Oops!
Last edited by AnonymousNow on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #255223

By respriting the toolbox one changes an integral part of SS13 culture.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255225

The shitty-looking toolbox of old is the personification of SS13. It's hilariously outdated but people still love it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #255231

CosmicScientist wrote:~
I think I'd also like one latch, but I know if I'm not careful then someone'll accuse me of just trying to remake the old sprites.
I'll scale them up now. Kept the original scale to match the OP images, but makes sense to see them more clearly.
I'll wait on the PR front. This isn't supposed to be a war, just thought I could improve on what people saw.
Thanks. Maybe I should work on figuring out how that new feature I want would work.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
danno

Post by danno » #255235

*rubs chin*
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #255240

New is nice but unique would be even better.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #255241

I still don't like the red streaks on His Grace, but I really don't care how the toolboxes look otherwise. People are up in arms about "server culture" but I just can't agree from that viewpoint. The old sprites themselves look pretty bad, as the zoomed-in version has shown, and I feel like nicer-looking sprites really aren't that bad. People hated the new extinguisher, too, but I think they look a lot better.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #255243

Xhuis wrote:~
In regards to His Grace, when I was looking at the way the sprite is animated (it just sort of... jiggles for four frames?), I was thinking that it might be better if it looked like a normal toolbox most of the time, but occasionally licked its "lips" with a forked tongue, like with the timing of the amanita jelly's blink.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #255263

I thought the deadly toolbox was intentionally supposed to look like a normal toolbox though

I like the perspective on AN's toolboxes more then the current one but I continue to argue that keeping the legacy sprite preserves the server culture.
danno

Post by danno » #255273

The blood on His Grace I thought would look nice but clearly isn't working and is already being changed
It was ill conceived but surely you see where I was coming from
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #255288

Yakumo_Chen wrote:I thought the deadly toolbox was intentionally supposed to look like a normal toolbox though

I like the perspective on AN's toolboxes more then the current one but I continue to argue that keeping the legacy sprite preserves the server culture.
you the kinda person who keeps hangman noose around your town because hanging people from it used to be town culture
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #255291

That's some pretty shitty ad homenim. When are you going to stop ignoring the 2:1 poll that clearly shows players want the old toolbox?

I can't wait for goofball to try to bring back that gated cat ears PR and for coders to merge it despite the 200 players saying to keep it as is, only for coders to merge it because they don't care about playerbase opinion. This is more or less the same thing, is it not?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255292

He's right though. And people have Confederate statues all over the south in the US, bad analogy.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
danno

Post by danno » #255335

it's not really ignoring as much as it is dismissal I guess
we're moving towards shifting the game to a different perspective
all of the """"""""""3D""""""""""" or whatever you want to call it sprites are holdover codersprites from a bygone age of no one really wanting to give a fuck about what things look like.
Everyone got used to it, but you'll live
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #255351

So the official line is "we know better than you do, shut up plebs"?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #255378

Most people dont comment on code changes because they cant code. There is a lower bar maybe for sprites but that bar still exists. Rarely do sprites get useful feedback anyway. I rarely get it and the people who are actually qualified to comment can be counted at most on two hands.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #255384

cedarbridge wrote:So the official line is "we know better than you do, shut up plebs"?
pretty much
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #255388

http://i.imgur.com/tHsN7at.gifv

Larger, shoddy quality (def. not final) but demonstrates the idea. Will likely be a longer delay before the lick.
http://i.imgur.com/6Kq7BLL.gifv

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #255425

leibniz wrote:Image
I'm going to use this as a point to revert them saying "look how ugly they are"
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #255447

AnonymousNow wrote:http://i.imgur.com/tHsN7at.gifv

Larger, shoddy quality (def. not final) but demonstrates the idea. Will likely be a longer delay before the lick.
http://i.imgur.com/6Kq7BLL.gifv
It should become more and more alive the hungrier it is, at one point just staring right at you ready to bite
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #255466

:toolbox: :toolbox: :toolbox: :toolbox: :toolbox: :toolbox:
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #255476

Change the forum sprite to create a salt mine.
danno

Post by danno » #255501

you can individually change the time for each frame in the DMI
danno

Post by danno » #255503

cedarbridge wrote:So the official line is "we know better than you do, shut up plebs"?
or maybe "The people who work and contribute art for the game talked to the person in charge of art direction for the game and the maintainers of the code, and all generally feel like a perspective shift is long overdue and a good idea"

maybe your rage against the machine melodrama might be excessive?
idk
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255506

danno wrote:
or maybe "The people who work and contribute art for the game talked to the person in charge of art direction for the game and the maintainers of the code, and all generally feel like a perspective shift is long overdue and a good idea"

idk
I don't care how many of our self-appointed admins and spriters nodded in unison, the vote says 2-1 people don't want it changed. That's pretty definitive.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #255507

ShadowDimentio wrote:
danno wrote:

idk
I don't care how many of our self-appointed admins and spriters nodded in unison, the vote says 2-1 people don't want it changed. That's pretty definitive.
Then consider a coder/art director's vote worth Nx that of a player's vote.
Where N is a number that always results in the coders winning.
私は完璧
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255509

I said it once I'll say it again

It's like HG never even left.

But it's good to get confirmation that the coders still think they're holier than thou and their will is law, no matter how shit a change might me.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Reece

Post by Reece » #255510

Pretty sure unless the players just leave they're worthless in the eyes of coders. And TG is best server.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255511

What a healthy relationship our community has.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Reece

Post by Reece » #255512

ShadowDimentio wrote:What a healthy relationship our community has.
I'm into BDSM so it's, fine.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #255513

ShadowDimentio wrote:I said it once I'll say it again

It's like HG never even left.

But it's good to get confirmation that the coders still think they're holier than thou and their will is law, no matter how shit a change might me.
Can't you see we do it for your own good little one?
It's all for you.
私は完璧
danno

Post by danno » #255514

day of the NT when...