/vg/station lighting

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

/vg/station lighting

Post by Luke Cox » #254815

calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Re: /vg/station lighting

Post by calzilla1 » #254825

Oh god please no
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #254827

But it has FUCKING COLORS
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #254871

Makes my computer run terrible

Excessive client rendering demands aren't kosher on a game that draws in people with toaster machines :(
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #254877

Vg lighting is fucking ugly to me

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #254879

Alipheese wrote:Vg lighting is fucking ugly to me
You're fucking ugly to me
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #254931

Maint is even more unbearably dark then it was before, even with proper lighting. I'm not really a fan of this
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #254934

The cool part here is we could do a constant addition to all tiles so every tile you can see is a minimal darkness.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #254939

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Maint is even more unbearably dark then it was before, even with proper lighting. I'm not really a fan of this
I like it. Makes maint even more dangerous.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #254954

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Maint is even more unbearably dark then it was before, even with proper lighting. I'm not really a fan of this

T-thats...

Thats how maint is meant to be?

Its meant to be a dark, dingy tunnel intended for drones and engineers, not an access corridor.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #254959

I like it. Pretty neat.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #255031

/vg/ lighting breaks species that check for darkness. Podpeople can't survive anywhere and shadowpeople can run around with impunity.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #255034

Computer intensive reeeeee
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #255080

Maint is a repairs access tunnel system. Not an assistant access hallway.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #255119

I honestly don't feel like it's an improvement over our current system which looks better to me, but I guess I'll get used to it.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #255120

the "no human being has any form of night vision or any form of light control at all" argument

there needs to be emergency lights in maint that are weak then, i can still see in maint with our current lighting system, thats besides the fact that this hurts my eyes because it makes me think theres splotches on the screen and that the transititions aren't actually there.

so like. maybe merge the two systems where areas in low light get better gradients and transititions and areas in high light are all the same color?
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #255264

There's a point between 'it's supposed to be dangerous' and 'with the PDA flashlight I still have to turn the gamma all the way up to find my character sprite' where trying to navigate maint is a pain in the ass, regardless of why I'm in there or what the intention is.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255265

Maint is supposed to be dark and spooky, nobody has any fear though because our lighting system keeps things generally pretty bright.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #255270

"Dark and spooky" shouldn't be obstructionist to gameplay, though. It's fine if my PDA light only lets me see in a 2 tile radius, but if I can't actually see sprites even with lighting, there's a problem.

At least the built in light on my cell phone helps me actually see in the dark and identify stuff IRL. There's no point to having it if it's so dim it might as well not even be on.

That and the fact even the main hallways, which sensibly should be brightly lit, are dark with this lighting.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #255282

VG lights in general are pretty dim

At least felt like they were while.i played there
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255297

Yakumo_Chen wrote:"Dark and spooky" shouldn't be obstructionist to gameplay, though. It's fine if my PDA light only lets me see in a 2 tile radius, but if I can't actually see sprites even with lighting, there's a problem.

At least the built in light on my cell phone helps me actually see in the dark and identify stuff IRL. There's no point to having it if it's so dim it might as well not even be on.

That and the fact even the main hallways, which sensibly should be brightly lit, are dark with this lighting.
It needs to be cut way up then. I hate Goon's lighting, it's dark as hell.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #264446

Is there a way to fix the god damn black rectangles? It looks so bad with the awesome opacity and then just black rectangles due to line of sight hit
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #264447

New lighting is excellent.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #264491

I thought we killed the "paranoia" meme in 2016?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #264726

Time dilation is always above 30% now.
Not sure if it is related, but some say it is.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264735

PDA lights need to be cut way the fuck up, I literally can't see anything even with them cut on.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #264739

I've been waiting for the PDA light nerf for so long, so lets not even go there. Light wasn't even a threat or needed because everyone had a PDA and now that darkness is actually a thing everyone whines.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264745

Yeah because I literally can't see. If the lights go out for any reason and you're not within reaching range of a light you're completely screwed indefinitely until someone fixes the lights or finds you bumbling in the dark.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #264762

>he can't navigate the station by memory

get good you little shit, you've been here since like 2011 you should be good at this now
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264770

I can but what about newbie mc chucklefuck who just joined the server?
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #264775

GIT GUD
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #264779

ShadowDimentio wrote:I can but what about newbie mc chucklefuck who just joined the server?
I too remember when SS13 was hard.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264780

Yeah clearly it's the newbie's fault for his light being shit and not being able to see in complete darkness.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #264784

ShadowDimentio wrote:Yeah clearly it's the newbie's fault for his light being shit and not being able to see in complete darkness.
Who said anything about fault? Your cell phone shouldn't be enough to light up medbay.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #264787

ShadowDimentio wrote:Yeah clearly it's the newbie's fault for his light being shit and not being able to see in complete darkness.
are you saying he should be able to see in complete darkness
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #264812

PKPenguin321 wrote:
are you saying he should be able to see in complete darkness
Yes. It shouldn't be a game over just because you don't know that your PDA is also a flashlight.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264817

I'm saying that I can't see shit in the dark even with the PDA.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #264819

You can see enough. It's fine, get good, etc.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #264824

make the PDA light an action button or HUD element.

checkmate athiests
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #264825

also what happened to the flare everyone spawned with in their backpack?
LifeReign
Byond Username: LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #264849

I'm pretty sure that /vg/ lights are still broken with plant people in that they don't heal in light. This is a bit better than the round where everything was considered complete darkness and I had to constantly eat food and medicine to not wither away in bright light, but the issues might extend to statues/shadowlings/any other future light-based things.
Bagil- Eats-Shoots-and-Leaves: Probably the botanist
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #264926

I think the lighting cuts of way too early in the walls. You see like 10% of the wall sprite in some places (seems widely inconsistent what walls).
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #264935

ITT: People don't realize they can just grab a flashlight; instead they expect PDA light to solve all their problems.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #264942

lava looks beautiful with vg lighting
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #264948

Sligneris wrote:ITT: People don't realize they can just grab a flashlight; instead they expect PDA light to solve all their problems.
You can just not get poisoned.
You can just dodge the bullets.
You can just not die.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #264950

I've found the PDA flashlight to be fine.

Its meant to help you navigate dark areas so you don't get stuck on a wall, its really shouldn't be a inbuilt flashlight with a one or two tile less light range.

Flares and Flashlights serve that purpose well, and they can be placed in your pockets.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #264957

Good lights are everywhere. Flashlights, lamps (Free ones in arrivals and the library), helmets with lights, etc.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #264962

Iatots wrote:
Sligneris wrote:ITT: People don't realize they can just grab a flashlight; instead they expect PDA light to solve all their problems.
You can just not die.
Yes, those things are totally the same as simply going to the public access tool storage.

Also, you're fucking dumb.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #264970

Sligneris wrote:
Iatots wrote:
You can just not die.
Yes, those things are totally the same as simply going to the public access tool storage.

Also, you're fucking dumb.
Let me put it in a language you understand:
new lights.png
On box, medbay and the general recreational areas have no readily accessible lights outside maintenance. Sci and sec have a whopping 1 O2 closet each.
On meta, departments have around 1 roll at a lightsource, with some like sec having a desk lamp.

The dumb guy here is you, because you don't seem able to grasp that PDAs suddenly not providing a decent light source seriously nerfs the general crew as some people clearly are having difficulty orientating themselves on little to no light.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #264977

I did a quick check in game, here's a comparison between the three main light sources. PDA, Flashlight and Flare.

PDA Light (same light level irrespective if you hold it in your hand or its on your ID slot)
Spoiler:
Flashlight (Note: Sec Light is slightly better)
Spoiler:
Flare
Spoiler:
Amusingly a penlight offers more light than the PDA light.

------------------

I think two changes are warrented.

Firstly, the PDA light should offer the samelight levels that the penlight offers.

Secondly, more flashlight spawns should be made available within departments.