Remove the singularity in favour of the supermatter

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Remove the singularity in favour of the supermatter

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260429

Bottom post of the previous page:

"B-but guais, if we gut the entire system we have right now and betatest a whole new one surely the coders will improve it!" -Goof 20XX, moments before Goofchem is merged, colorized.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #260430

It isn't a whole new one though? We've had the supermatter for a while and it's already more in depth than the other engines.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260431

Then just throw it in rotation with the others and let the engineers decide what they want, don't just decide for them.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #260432

ShadowDimentio wrote:"B-but guais, if we gut the entire system we have right now and betatest a whole new one surely the coders will improve it!" -Goof 20XX, moments before Goofchem is merged, colorized.
Not an argument
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #260434

If they decide on the singularity they will degrade the quality of the rounds though, that's what led us to this.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260436

That's your opinion. Forcing people to use the hugbox engine because it's the least likely to dunk you if a traitor sabotages it is terrible.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #260437

ShadowDimentio wrote:Then just throw it in rotation with the others and let the engineers decide what they want, don't just decide for them.
More options doesn't always equate to better. This has nothing to do with your delusions of facism. It's simply more viable to focus efforts on one feature. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this before it gets through to you.
We have to rely on unpaid volunteers putting in their time to do free work for us. It would be very cool to have three well thought out, mechanically deep engines, but we have to find people willing to design them, balance them, code them, document them and then make sure they integrate properly into our code. We don't presently have that.

What we do have is several talented coders taking an interest in this project and proposing interesting gameplay mechanics and you spitting in their faces because muh nostalgia and muh coderspiracy
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #260438

That is the unanimous opinion of the maintainers/the head coder and the majority opinion of players that have responded to this thread and the PR.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260443

I'm just saying man, this is going to suffer the same fate as every other engine has historically and be totally half-baked, but now be even more boring than a regular engine because it bitches for ten minutes that it's about to explode before it explodes.

This all could have been resolved by one coder lending their ear but no, #niceplayersfinishlast
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #260445

I really like the idea of having multiple possibilities to supermatting going critical.

So we have singulo at like 50%. Then as mentioned we have the delamination that destroys the universe as rarest. Also as mentioned hell portal opening and unleashing hell monsters controlled by player ghosts... Perhaps have the monsters spawn all over the station or just be always gunning for living things regardless of line of sight. We could do one involving wizards and magic where the crystal exploding gives everyone magic spells for shits and giggles.

Actually gives some interesting narratives to the engine failing
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #260452

ShadowDimentio wrote:I'm just saying man, this is going to suffer the same fate as every other engine has historically and be totally half-baked, but now be even more boring than a regular engine because it bitches for ten minutes that it's about to explode before it explodes.

This all could have been resolved by one coder lending their ear but no, #niceplayersfinishlast
Not a word you have said in this thread is a usable suggestion or constructive, and you are very fucking far from a nice player.

Don't try to pull that shit lad.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #260454

ShadowDimentio wrote:This all could have been resolved by one coder lending their ear
Lend their ear to what? All you've said is "just make three engines better" without any idea of how to do so.

You doubt our ability to make a single engine fun but you want us to somehow make three engines fun instead.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #260456

Wyzack wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:I think we could incorporate a lot of these engine failure ideas as different SM failures and make it a dice roll on what happens, with the VG cascade universe ending being the rarest one
portal to hell when?
first ghost > bubblegum
next three > evolved devils
next six > demons
rest > imps (lol!)
I like this one a lot, considering megafauna are basically just a more engaging singulo anyway
fuck SS13 lets make a game about being UAC marines and scientists
the rest of this thread is irrelevant

the real idea here is to have the engine run off of argent energy sometimes and the cult is part of the station but if you fuck up demons invade and it uses deadchat to spawn doomguy and he can't be pushed over easily and has a ton of health and he shoots all the demons and i can play midis from doom
Limey wrote:its too late.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260457

Haevacht wrote:you are very fucking far from a nice player.
You don't even know who I play baka boy, you have no idea if I'm a good or bad boy.
Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:This all could have been resolved by one coder lending their ear
Lend their ear to what? All you've said is "just make three engines better" without any idea of how to do so
ShadowDimentio wrote:Give them something to use all the energy for like a giant laser that mines/destroys stuff/sells power.

Port Goon overpowering mechanics where pumping shitloads of power into the system makes very bad thing happen, like APCs shooting out lightning, and doors/equipment fucking exploding when you use it to incentivize rogue engineers not just always releasing the engine.

Rehaul the engines to require more active maintenance if you're churning out power as hard as you can by replacing parts that burn out in equipment, refueling collectors, monitoring power surges/power failures and solving them.

Really we have all the tools (ba dum tss) to make engineering more involved and fun.
The root problem and why this is even being argued is because the engine gets out too much and I've a solution to that exact problem.

I can spitball ideas all day long, but nobody ever throws anything back. Except Xhuis, the best boy.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #260459

ShadowDimentio wrote:The root problem and why this is even being argued is because the engine gets out too much and I've a solution to that exact problem.
I'm not seeing that in those ideas you posted though
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260460

ShadowDimentio wrote:Port Goon overpowering mechanics where pumping shitloads of power into the system makes very bad thing happen, like APCs shooting out lightning, and doors/equipment fucking exploding when you use it to incentivize rogue engineers not just always releasing the engine.
The engine gets out because someone either fucked up or someone let it out. The former is unavoidable, fuckups are just a part of life in SS13, but the latter is done because releasing the singu is extremely destructive. If you give an antag an equally good way to fuck up the station in engineering, namely overcharging the grid, they wouldn't release the engine because they'd need it to continue flooding the station with power.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #260461

ShadowDimentio wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Port Goon overpowering mechanics where pumping shitloads of power into the system makes very bad thing happen, like APCs shooting out lightning, and doors/equipment fucking exploding when you use it to incentivize rogue engineers not just always releasing the engine.
The engine gets out because someone either fucked up or someone let it out. The former is unavoidable, fuckups are just a part of life in SS13, but the latter is done because releasing the singu is extremely destructive. If you give an antag an equally good way to fuck up the station in engineering, namely overcharging the grid, they wouldn't release the engine because they'd need it to continue flooding the station with power.
But if you want to cause the maxiumum amount of destruction and chaos you can't comare to just letting the engine out, APCs zapping people is nowhere near as dangerous as a tesla zapping people, and doors or whatever exploding isn't as dangerous as a sing eating everything
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260462

Qbopper wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
But if you want to cause the maxiumum amount of destruction and chaos you can't comare to just letting the engine out, APCs zapping people is nowhere near as dangerous as a tesla zapping people, and doors or whatever exploding isn't as dangerous as a sing eating everything
Imagine how hard it would be to avoid getting fried by an APC as it launched lightning at anything nearby bouncing between machines while the doors and airlocks randomly start opening and closing very fast and crushing anyone caught inside, and anybody foolish enough to use a machine finds it blowing up in their face.

It'd be a very good alternative for getting the shuttle called to just releasing the engine.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #260464

That isn't at all a suggestion to making the engine more interesting or deep though it's just another button for engineering to kill everyone.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260465

But you have to admit traversing a haywire station to engineering to have a duel with a rogue engineer is a pretty rad scenario compared to just releasing the singu and laughing as everyone dies.

I'd call that making it much deeper.

Plus there were like three other ideas do I seriously have to spoon feed them to you Kor
Last edited by ShadowDimentio on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #260466

It is not as destructive as the singulo and could not possibly be easier to do than the two clicks it takes for a singuloose so why would most people use it?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
SHTC
Byond Username: Seth Hunter

Post by SHTC » #260468

Kor wrote:That isn't at all a suggestion to making the engine more interesting or deep though it's just another button for engineering to kill everyone.
You mention that no one gave any novel ideas to make singularity more depth filled or less instant release yet it seems no one even gave bother to my suggestion other than a single comment about how the PA is already hackable. The problem is people are so mindset with removing content instead of giving ideas to improve existing content to bring it on par with how the super matter works.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #260469

Why would I try to bring the singularity on par with the supermatter when the supermatter already works like we want it to. Sounds like a waste of my time and effort.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260470

Wyzack wrote:It is not as destructive as the singulo and could not possibly be easier to do than the two clicks it takes for a singuloose so why would most people use it?
For RAW DESTRUCTIVE POWER the singu is unbeatable but for chaos and still killing everyone it'd be a very good alternative at the steep cost of only like three extra clicks.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
SHTC

Post by SHTC » #260474

The scenario will just repeat itself in the future when people learn how to quickly derail Supermatter it will have the same effect as the singulo and this thread will just be "Remove Supermatter in favour of the ( New Engine here)". The evolution of existing content should be more important than pushing solutions that are only relevant due to the current view on the issue rather than offering a solution to the issue as a whole.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #260479

SHTC wrote:The scenario will just repeat itself in the future when people learn how to quickly derail Supermatter it will have the same effect as the singulo and this thread will just be "Remove Supermatter in favour of the ( New Engine here)". The evolution of existing content should be more important than pushing solutions that are only relevant due to the current view on the issue rather than offering a solution to the issue as a whole.

The way to quickly do it involves sabotaging the atmos system with the emitters still on. But with Supermatter being a bit high maintenance more engineers are likely to be around the engine and not to mention when the alert goes out the AI can turn off the emitters while security and captain/engineers come to fix the atmospherics.

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260481

We're going to go from "the goose gets loose too much" to "the goose never gets loose"
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
SHTC

Post by SHTC » #260483

Bombadil wrote:
SHTC wrote:The scenario will just repeat itself in the future when people learn how to quickly derail Supermatter it will have the same effect as the singulo and this thread will just be "Remove Supermatter in favour of the ( New Engine here)". The evolution of existing content should be more important than pushing solutions that are only relevant due to the current view on the issue rather than offering a solution to the issue as a whole.

The way to quickly do it involves sabotaging the atmos system with the emitters still on. But with Supermatter being a bit high maintenance more engineers are likely to be around the engine and not to mention when the alert goes out the AI can turn off the emitters while security and captain/engineers come to fix the atmospherics.
That boils down a significant problem with the Super Matter, it is blatantly obvious there is sabotage. The engine removes all of the Deathtrap while making it having a blaring alarm that goes off whenever there's a slight issue. It doesn't require any meaningful maintenance other than waiting for the alarm to go off then rushing to fix it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #260496

I wish you spoonfeed yourself a cup of shutting the fuck up
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #260534

The alarm should only be broadcast on the engineering channel instead of the general channel.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #260535

Broadcast on engineering until 25% remaining stability.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #260536

Yes, but singuloose is, right now, the easiest "fuck everyone" to institute and, at the same time, hardest to deal with. It takes one emag or just a pair of wirecutters, crowbar and screwdriver to get to engineering, where you can either set the PA to 2 or 3 or get insulated gloves and cut cables powering emitters.
Also, if you say SM doesn't require maintenance, what of singuloth? You set containment up, wait for it to grow to 3, then turn PA to 0 and fuck off, and it won't escape unless either antag fuckery, extreme incompetence or bugs happen.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #260540

I'd say 50% stability.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #260541

It's not like there aren't three other codebases that use supermatter engines as their primary means of power generation that you can look at for examples of how to have fun with it.

vg/polaris/bay have the cascade if a singulo eats the supermatter, supermatter explosions bypass the bombcap. There's plenty more FUN things that can be added as consequences to the crystal getting angry. Spewing out increasingly dangerous extradimensional horrors at an increasing distance from the crystal as the integrity creeps down from 30% to 0 would make it pretty obvious that something's awry and give something engaging to do.

Accidental singuloose is pretty boring to interact with as the only thing you can really do is run off.

Fighting cosmic horrors and defending the engineers who are frantically trying to bring the INFURIATED EXTENSION OF AN ANGRY EXTRADIMENSIONAL GOD back under control before it gets much much worse actually gives something to do.
In Alien, the tension at the end didn't come from the explosion itself that destroyed the Nostromo, it was Ripley frantically running through the corridors trying to shut off the self-destruct, failing, then trying to escape before the engine blew. As it stands, the singulo is basically "cut wire, no alarms, station gets destroyed with no counterplay or warning" which is boring. A sabotaged supermatter core, on the other hand, has you piling towards the engine room and throwing on radsuits as quick as you can to stop this fucking thing, I remember a round which had it melt the walls of the containment and pressure shunted it off the mass driver, and some engineer grabbed the crystal with pull-intent (the only thing you can do on there) and a stack of rods, and dragged the fucking thing out into space on a gantry before it finally blew, and I have no idea how they managed that while weighed down by the mass of their iron fucking balls.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #260554

Perhaps command as well as engineering after 25%

Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #260555

Supermatter spawning yellow, crystalline monsters would be fun tbh.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #260569

Nah no stupid mobs.

Just let it produce more power and serious boatloads of radiation the hotter it gets.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #260605

Lets just have it spawn vortigaunts that shoot tesla bolts.

Valve's pretty loose on mods and references

leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #260629

The supermatter warning system should be some machine that can be sabotaged.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #260633

leibniz wrote:The supermatter warning system should be some machine that can be sabotaged.
Like tcomms?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #260634

I was debating whether it'd sound too hostile to make that joke so I'm glad you did it for me
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #260638

Saegrimr wrote:
leibniz wrote:The supermatter warning system should be some machine that can be sabotaged.
Like tcomms?
Is that how it works? I didnt really know.
For example the binary channel doesnt die when telecoms is ded (which is why silicon faceroll "kill coms, flood plasma" still works well)
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #260645

It'd be nice if you could still order the other engine components from cargo. Mainly because I'm holding out hope that one day some mad man will set up all three engines and then unleash all of them at once.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #260646

You can still order them from cargo yes
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #260651

Since hallucinations seem also tied to SM, engine failure could bring hallucinations globally. After making them less obnoxious and more actually misleading/creepy.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #260720

XDTM wrote:Since hallucinations seem also tied to SM, engine failure could bring hallucinations globally. After making them less obnoxious and more actually misleading/creepy.

Code: Select all

#define DETONATION_HALLUCINATION 600

Code: Select all

if(damage > explosion_point)
			for(var/mob in living_mob_list)
				var/mob/living/L = mob
				if(istype(L) && L.z == z)
					if(ishuman(mob))
						//Hilariously enough, running into a closet should make you get hit the hardest.
						var/mob/living/carbon/human/H = mob
						H.hallucination += max(50, min(300, DETONATION_HALLUCINATION * sqrt(1 / (get_dist(mob, src) + 1)) ) )
					var/rads = DETONATION_RADS * sqrt( 1 / (get_dist(L, src) + 1) )
					L.rad_act(rads)

explode()
Already does.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #260813

Wyzack wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:I think we could incorporate a lot of these engine failure ideas as different SM failures and make it a dice roll on what happens, with the VG cascade universe ending being the rarest one
portal to hell when?
first ghost > bubblegum
next three > evolved devils
next six > demons
rest > imps (lol!)
I like this one a lot, considering megafauna are basically just a more engaging singulo anyway
fuck SS13 lets make a game about being UAC marines and scientists
i know this is kinda an old post but fuck that sounds fun
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #261110

I kind of liked the explosion better. It felt satisfying in that it was a single, short but massive blast that annihilated a large chunk of the station when the counter hit 100.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #261112

maybe both is in order?
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #261150

Personally, I think the old containment field for singularity and/or tesla should still exist somewhere around engineering, requiring simply ordering PA and generator parts and a quick setup. That, and for the supermatter should start inside a crate (wrenched to the floor by default) to make it a bit of less "you're getting a supermatter engine whether you want it or not."
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #261157

One of the main arguments for SM is standardizing it as an engine, so we can balance power and stuff around it. Making singulo/tesla easy to set up as an alternative would negate that, so it's better to leave it as a possible but hard to build option.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka