Remove the singularity in favour of the supermatter

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Remove the singularity in favour of the supermatter

Post by Armhulen » #262399

Bottom post of the previous page:

it's not actually that hard to make it go boom. Just carry it away from the containment in a radsuit, and leave it in the hallways. nobody is going to get far when it comes to carrying it away because of heavy radiation (throw literally any object at it for big rad pulse) and then once they're on the ground you can just hurl them at it

additionally it's hilarious when you lube up the hallways and people slip n slide into it
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #262400

Damn, dragging it did not occur to me. Will exposure to the air alone be enough to make it go critical though?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262423

if you're throwing people things into the supermatter regularly it should.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #262424

That actually sounds fun as fuck. Instead of releasing the engine you just drag it into the halls, throw all the radsuits at it and laugh as everyone dies. Hell, nobody'll even shoot at you 'cause if they do the supermatter will supernova. All you need is one admin to trade you for a radproof species.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #262441

Last time I tried it you can also pick them up with a ripley. Load up fifteen of the fucking things into your cargo compartment and leave them lying around the place.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262445

ShadowDimentio wrote:That actually sounds fun as fuck. Instead of releasing the engine you just drag it into the halls, throw all the radsuits at it and laugh as everyone dies. Hell, nobody'll even shoot at you 'cause if they do the supermatter will supernova. All you need is one admin to trade you for a radproof species.
reminder that if they have no rad defense throwing anything at the supermatter stuns them for a long time and gives them a disability
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #262520

This is downright more evil than the days of old releasing the singularity and beaconing it to cut through the station. Oy vey.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #262649

The inner door needs to be bolted at roundstart, no question about it.

Also DEEP FEEDBACK time:

The SM generates too much power with oxygen, the power multiplier just gets insane with cold oxygen in the loop and cold plasma in the collectors... 2 million watts with just a couple minutes of setup.

If I get enough time I'm going to try and make the "scaling gas" random every round so that the power export system actually requires a little effort to push the engine to its limit. Oxygen is trivial anyway since the siphons can easily remove plasma before it can start a major fire.

But even then 2m watts with 4 emitters is just silly. I'd want an optimal gas mix to generate 1m with default emitters at most. Pushing to 2m should require creativity with emitters and making more reflectors.

Is it possible to get more collectors?
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #262663

Just make sure to like update the guide with a best setup and everything, the guide is deffo lacking.

So, are the windows separating the SM area from the rest of engineering supposed to be regular glass on box?
They are r-windows on meta.
r-windows probably makes more sense since you can access the pumps 2fast with regular windows
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262666

No, the guide should show you how to make it work. But experimenting to make the best engine has been extremely fun for me
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #262738

Armhulen wrote:No, the guide should show you how to make it work. But experimenting to make the best engine has been extremely fun for me
Then the maxcap guide and other detailed guides should go too.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #262744

I'ma make it cool with Freon
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #262747

If you wanna nerf power generation, make the collectors based off volume/pressure instead of moles.

As for oxygen being too good, I agree. In fact, I was going to recode all the gas interactions to reblance everything and add other modifiers than just power, like gases that cause the shard to emit more heat, gases that make the shard immune to heat based on gas composition, chain reactions that make unstable setups more common and different failures based on the gas heat/composition or even produce different gases like freon at the cost of lower power output. I kinda offloaded all the work on Kor though.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262756

AdAstraPerAspera wrote:
Armhulen wrote:No, the guide should show you how to make it work. But experimenting to make the best engine has been extremely fun for me
Then the maxcap guide and other detailed guides should go too.
Sure, at least for madcap guides.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #262761

If someone wants to make a guide on how to flawlessly do whatever, let them. We're not Goon.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #263948

Now it is way harder to release the engine I think it is a good time to make the singularity scary again.

Let the singularity spawned by supermatter shard failure be the same sing you get when it absorbs a shard.

Lvl 6 sing ftw.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #263980

CPTANT wrote:Now it is way harder to release the engine I think it is a good time to make the singularity scary again.

Let the singularity spawned by supermatter shard failure be the same sing you get when it absorbs a shard.

Lvl 6 sing ftw.
It already does. There just haven't been enough loosed for a lot of people to notice.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #264301

Also the shard is a bit boringly stable, we had a situation today in which the supermatter room burned for like half an hour, but the shard doesn't really give a fuck because the cooling loop is passive and the pumps don't care about fire.

After that it lost power and it still didn't give a fuck for like 15 minutes.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264310

The shard is nigh impossible to fuck up, especially how it screams that it's about to blow up for ten minutes before it blows up.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #264313

ShadowDimentio wrote:The shard is nigh impossible to fuck up, especially how it screams that it's about to blow up for ten minutes before it blows up.
The shard should only yell once when it's getting to high levels. And people don't know how to loose it, it's actually p easy. All you need to do is make a filter filter co2/the gas you're using to cool it OR turn on space cooling bypass OR pump in hot gas from atmos access OR make the freezers heat up the supermatter

ANY of the above
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #264314

cedarbridge wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Now it is way harder to release the engine I think it is a good time to make the singularity scary again.

Lvl 6 sing ftw.
It already does. There just haven't been enough loosed for a lot of people to notice.
I just tested this locally and it does not seem to be the case.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #264317

Armhulen wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:The shard is nigh impossible to fuck up, especially how it screams that it's about to blow up for ten minutes before it blows up.
The shard should only yell once when it's getting to high levels. And people don't know how to loose it, it's actually p easy. All you need to do is make a filter filter co2/the gas you're using to cool it OR turn on space cooling bypass OR pump in hot gas from atmos access OR make the freezers heat up the supermatter

ANY of the above
Still takes ages though. It definitely needs some tweaks in the variables to make it less absurdly stable. Firing emitters at it without any form of cooling in a closed room even seems to be stable.

Also supermatter should fail from overpressure. Now pressure = better infinitely.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #264324

Watched a shard slowly go critical as no one intervened. Then as it hit 80% delam the AI finally noticed, turned the pumps on, and left it alone and it slowly went back to stable. What a fucking joke for a engine, even the AM reactor is more volatile than this.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #264329

I am testing it locally and I am seriously having trouble to get it to blow up.

Even with all the cooling gas removed it just reaches a certain stage of de-lamination and than hangs stable around that....
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #264336

i've still seen the singulo eat the station a bunch of times because no one cared to stop it and/or no one knew how to stop the delam.

in theory it's interesting i guess but there's still no reason to provide power beyond the tiny bare minimum the station requires. using exotic gas mixes is pointless when you can just use the easily provided n2 canisters that keep it 1000000% percent stable forever. furthermore we still can't build reflectors so using more than 4-5 emitters is impossible because.. it's impossible. we also can't filter gases by temperature. which is a flaw in theory i guess.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #264444

The fact the Supermatter blares how its slowly going critical over the course of five minutes means so long as there's someone with engineering access on station they can easily go in and resolve the problem.
Tokiko2

Post by Tokiko2 » #264499

I've adressed the sabotage difficulty here: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24785

The engine is now guaranteed to choke on 100% plasma setups, and high CO2 ones will cause a really hard to fix chain reaction that irridiates, zaps, heats and then explodes violently.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #264550

Is it still possible to drag the suppermatter around? I tried to move it but I couldn't and the wrench just instantly vaporized when I tried to unwrench it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #264635

CPTANT wrote:Is it still possible to drag the suppermatter around? I tried to move it but I couldn't and the wrench just instantly vaporized when I tried to unwrench it.
You have to order one from cargo.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #265689

Could we have something more interesting on supermatter overload than explosion or singulo? What if it exploded sending system-wide EMP, instantly draining all the power from apcs, batteries and everything. Maybe even bolting all the airlocks down.

Spooky Station 13.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Tokiko2

Post by Tokiko2 » #265799

Lumbermancer wrote:Could we have something more interesting on supermatter overload than explosion or singulo? What if it exploded sending system-wide EMP, instantly draining all the power from apcs, batteries and everything. Maybe even bolting all the airlocks down.

Spooky Station 13.
That's a really good idea actually. Do EMPs kill AIs?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #265802

Tokiko2 wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:Could we have something more interesting on supermatter overload than explosion or singulo? What if it exploded sending system-wide EMP, instantly draining all the power from apcs, batteries and everything. Maybe even bolting all the airlocks down.

Spooky Station 13.
No, but draining all power from the entire station will.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #265914

You can give AI SMES the anti-supermatter shielding.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #265918

Armhulen wrote:
Tokiko2 wrote:

Spooky Station 13.
No, but draining all power from the entire station will.
EMP does damage Ai's.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #265919

EMP was just a shorthand for power fucking pulse.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #265924

> set supermatter off
> every airlock is immediately bolted and depowered
> buy esword and cut your way to escape
> bloodlessly hijack the shuttle in style while everyone else has to tear the station apart to get out of whatever room they're now locked in

fund it
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #265950

Can't wait to see the new hallucinations in play now that people can get them globally when the SM blows.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.