Tramstation (choo CHOO)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Tramstation (choo CHOO)

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #595667

Bottom post of the previous page:

the tram is buggy but hilarious, people seem to navigate the station quite easily even when its out of service (for example locked in a box to stop people walking on and instantly being ricocheted into a pile of gore)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #595682

Ghilker wrote: it is an half assed and lazy attempt to create a map to just insert a weird feature that is 90% of the time broken
this is ironic
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #598428

Please add a public mining station/dock
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #598478

if irony is not a coincidence then why is that post ironic
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #598657

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #598658

technokek wrote:Is it possible to move tcoms to litterally anywhere else? Any problem in engineering will destroy tcoms without fail in the current layout. All other maps have made the choice to seperate tcoms from engineering.
Usually if the problem in engineering was big enough to reach comms, then a shuttle call isn't that far behind.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #598686

Hey Miracles, your new avatar is totally disco

Also, I've been thoroughly enjoying Tram. Though I wish that the bar was easier to access. Nobody ever goes there, and it's a shame. Maybe make it smaller and put it on the main floor by swapping its location with the lawyer's office? Or combine the cafeteria and bar into a single mess hall area?
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #598906

i would get rid of the expression but that's just me
cacogen wrote:if irony is not a coincidence then why is that post ironic
even i don't get it
NSFW:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #599541

the sm delam isn't as spectacular on tram because the explosion and hallucination and stuff only work on that z-level, probably the same for tesla and singulo too.

that's not your problem, that's ours--we should support all that
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #599547

Nuke Ops is a bit wonky because you lose the disk every time you drop down into the lower level of the station. Might there be an exception to the z-level rule for on-station movement?
► Show Spoiler
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #599558

Farquaar wrote:Nuke Ops is a bit wonky because you lose the disk every time you drop down into the lower level of the station. Might there be an exception to the z-level rule for on-station movement?
That definitely should be fixed- could you open an issue report about that to make sure someone gets to it?
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #599566

EOBGames wrote:
Farquaar wrote:Nuke Ops is a bit wonky because you lose the disk every time you drop down into the lower level of the station. Might there be an exception to the z-level rule for on-station movement?
That definitely should be fixed- could you open an issue report about that to make sure someone gets to it?
I guess I could. I'm a bit light on details because the round was very chaotic, so hopefully I won't be wasting anyone's time.
► Show Spoiler
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #599571

Farquaar wrote:
EOBGames wrote:
I guess I could. I'm a bit light on details because the round was very chaotic, so hopefully I won't be wasting anyone's time.
Nah, it won't be wasting anyone's time- worst that happens is we can't reproduce and its closed, but if it turns out to be a reproducible issue that's a major one for multi-z maps as a whole. If you're in doubt with making an issue, I'd generally err on the side of making it, since you'd be amazed what can lead to finding (and killing) bugs.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #599575

we already have support for multiple station z-levels, we use it in ice box. it's a bug in tram that it doesn't support it, but a very easily fixable one
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #599685

Sometimes i think the distance between the platforms should be greater so people have more incentive to ride the tram instead of diving down a z level and running to a ladder
Technoturnovers
Byond Username: Technoturnovers

Post by Technoturnovers » #600840

People always build rails under the windoors so that nobody can get on and it is fucking obnoxious.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601003

I wish the tram had more stations and went in a circle because you just want to ride it endlessly but it ends almost immediately. An experimental map could be any of the stations except instead of central primary it's a tram.
NSFW:

legoscape
Byond Username: Legoscape

Post by legoscape » #603385

Please for the love of God, Make the tram underground and the main hallway above.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #603454

legoscape wrote:Please for the love of God, Make the tram underground and the main hallway above.
hmm yes change the entire layout of the station and make the tram significantly more lethal in the process seems like a great idea
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #603514

putting the tram out of the way so nobody has to use it is just the more spacious way of removing it completely. if you make unique ways of traversing a station be entirely optional with no benefit, nobody will do it.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #603557

People already avoid it as much as possible, when it's not being taken back and forth between the far stations as quickly as it can move by an assistant who put railings under the windoors to keep others out.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #603561

The stations being way far apart from each other would greatly help making the tram more appealing. Think Black Mesa but the tram goes 3x the speed. Yeah add a radioactive pool down there for good measure too.

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #603564

Pandarsenic wrote:People already avoid it as much as possible, when it's not being taken back and forth between the far stations as quickly as it can move by an assistant who put railings under the windoors to keep others out.
90% of the time when I hear this complaint my only response is "ahelp it" because what they're doing is literally station grief and if they're not an antag admins should be punishing them for it
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #603885

MMMiracles wrote:
legoscape wrote:Please for the love of God, Make the tram underground and the main hallway above.
hmm yes change the entire layout of the station and make the tram significantly more lethal in the process seems like a great idea
You should change the entire layout of the station so the tramway is a central loop like the central primary hallway the other maps have. The ride would last longer, which would be a lot more fun. The departments would also feel less isolated. You should also make the tram look and feel less garbage when it moves and have less of a janky interaction with other objects. I don't expect you will, though.
Agux909 wrote:The stations being way far apart from each other would greatly help making the tram more appealing. Think Black Mesa but the tram goes 3x the speed. Yeah add a radioactive pool down there for good measure too.
I've noticed the issue of it being far too short a ride to really be enjoyable too. But the departments already feel pretty removed from the main hallways, like I'm miles away from any activity. I don't know if spreading them further apart would help.
NSFW:

Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #603950

cacogen wrote:
Agux909 wrote:The stations being way far apart from each other would greatly help making the tram more appealing. Think Black Mesa but the tram goes 3x the speed. Yeah add a radioactive pool down there for good measure too.
I've noticed the issue of it being far too short a ride to really be enjoyable too. But the departments already feel pretty removed from the main hallways, like I'm miles away from any activity. I don't know if spreading them further apart would help.
The main gimmick of the map shouldn't be a chore, and as it currently stands it kinda is. The time it takes for the tram to arrive you can just run and get there faster, there's no real incentive to use the tram other than being scared that it might crush you while you're walking on the rails, or trying to time it so you crush others as the clown.

The departments feeling super removed from each other would only be bad if there wasn't a tram. The map was designed for the tram so it should revolve around it and fully embrace the concept. Moving the stations far apart will make it so not using the tram will always be the inferior, less appealing way to move around (unless you're an antag or want to roam maint/move around undetected)

technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #604106

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #604128

technokek wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:
Pandarsenic wrote:People already avoid it as much as possible, when it's not being taken back and forth between the far stations as quickly as it can move by an assistant who put railings under the windoors to keep others out.
90% of the time when I hear this complaint my only response is "ahelp it" because what they're doing is literally station grief and if they're not an antag admins should be punishing them for it
Breaking or using the tram to roadkill is not griefing.
if you are actively calling the tram as a non-antag with intent to hit people or actively trying to break it you are griefing and i hope to god admins step up to realize this so cunts like you stop ruining the experience for everyone else

this is no different than building an infinite disposal loop or sabotaging wires to kill power.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #604209

It's probably more comparable to botanists filling the central hallways completely with banana peels, other than that...
Agux909 wrote: The main gimmick of the map shouldn't be a chore, and as it currently stands it kinda is. The time it takes for the tram to arrive you can just run and get there faster, there's no real incentive to use the tram other than being scared that it might crush you while you're walking on the rails, or trying to time it so you crush others as the clown.
I'm gonna backtrack to this. At its core, I'm not sure if TramStation's conceit of "it's a station where you need a tram to get around" actually works? Because you don't need the Tram to get around; you only need to get in the tram to avoid getting hit by the tram by people who don't realize you don't need the tram to get around (or who think it's funny, or MRP, etc.)
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #604241

Tram's core conceit was never that you needed the tram to get around, it was the fact it was based around the tram docks as a central gimmick. The external airlocks and underground tunnel access was added as secondary ways to circumvent the tram at the expense of either being more directly dangerous (space exposure, getting hit by the tram if you run the rails), or out of sight of general cameras. The tram gives a purpose to the different layout while still being useful on its own.

Tram has been in active rotation for over 4 months now so I'd assume most people would of gotten a handle on learning to avoid the tram if they so desire and that's fine. Some people would rather not take the risk that comes with the tram and others still enjoy trying to push each other out of it mid-transit.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #604243

I mean, I'm not leaving you feedback here to argue with your choices as a map designer, but because I care for the map and my experiences show me an increasing rejection from the playerbase every time Tram is on voting rotation. It looks like I was wrong and the novelty of the tram IS wearing off, and at an alarming rate. It used to be played a lot and it barely gets voted now, at least on Sybil.
The feedback is here, make of it as you will.

cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #605985

Agux909 wrote:I mean, I'm not leaving you feedback here to argue with your choices as a map designer, but because I care for the map and my experiences show me an increasing rejection from the playerbase every time Tram is on voting rotation. It looks like I was wrong and the novelty of the tram IS wearing off, and at an alarming rate. It used to be played a lot and it barely gets voted now, at least on Sybil.
The feedback is here, make of it as you will.
terry players love the tram it goes

icebox > tram > regular box > meta > pubby > effiencey > donut > birdboat > mini station > runtime station > delta
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #607520

where's the custodial on tram other than that the map is good but i think maint is a bit of a mess.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #607771

Great work!

Cool use of new and more modern features like multiple z-levels, newer decals, and new floor tiles. Really inventive way of structuring the station around a tramway as an alternative to the standard rectangular and crossbeam halls; I love the tram playing a central role with exterior access ways. Always a big fan of using asteroid turf and rock alongside the station map! Love the way the departments are organised and segmented; love the complementary pairing of cargo and research as well as the central placements of command, security, and medical. It looks like the map has a lot of room for potential feature expansions too with the spacing of the departments!

It looks like social areas including the bar, chapel, and library are fit snugly on the lower level. They look very comfortable! How are they fairing for traffic owing to their less visible placement? Your colour palette for the map is very nice and tasteful! It'd be awesome to see those designs be applied to more minimalistic lower level areas like engineering and science too (as shown on the FastDMM link).
Love to see your work as always, MMMiracles!
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #607782

Okand37 wrote:Great work!

Cool use of new and more modern features like multiple z-levels, newer decals, and new floor tiles. Really inventive way of structuring the station around a tramway as an alternative to the standard rectangular and crossbeam halls; I love the tram playing a central role with exterior access ways. Always a big fan of using asteroid turf and rock alongside the station map! Love the way the departments are organised and segmented; love the complementary pairing of cargo and research as well as the central placements of command, security, and medical. It looks like the map has a lot of room for potential feature expansions too with the spacing of the departments!

It looks like social areas including the bar, chapel, and library are fit snugly on the lower level. They look very comfortable! How are they fairing for traffic owing to their less visible placement? Your colour palette for the map is very nice and tasteful! It'd be awesome to see those designs be applied to more minimalistic lower level areas like engineering and science too (as shown on the FastDMM link).
The traffic in bar/chapel/library is a bit slow since the west end of the station is only home to service and dorms on the normal-Z level, and usually people don't make a point of traveling to service for service itself, but end up there because it's centralized/on the way (as in Delta/Meta etc.).
Most traffic AFAIK is in the central area with medbay/bridge/brig.

Making the tram faster, perhaps adding a second tram (for travel efficiency), making the lower-Z more attractive to visit, would all be great improvements.
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #607793

How exactly do you safely get a supermatter shard from the upper Z level (cargo) to the bottom Z level (engineering) if it gets out of the crate? Can it be done?
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #607931

literally the funniest thing added to /tg/ that i've seen so far upon returning, this is literal comedy gold, we need more trams
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #607935

I find it really boring nowadays. When the tram broke every round and killed everyone it was highly entertaining. Now the map is just a janky tram that seems like it will never be improved surrounded by a mediocre station with an empty maintenance and the library, chapel and locker room disconnected from the rest of the station and devoid of life. Like most people though, I do like the bar.
NSFW:

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #607989

the duality of man
Pandarsenic wrote:How exactly do you safely get a supermatter shard from the upper Z level (cargo) to the bottom Z level (engineering) if it gets out of the crate? Can it be done?
As of right now? I guess the perma elevator or the soon-to-be-added fridge elevator. I need to do a pass-over and make the station more 'handicap accessible' for these edgecases that haven't been addressed for multi-z code.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #610331

Would be cool if ghosts could control the tram if it hasn't been used in a bit.

Ghost Train.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #610981

sinfulbliss wrote:
Okand37 wrote:Great work!

The traffic in bar/chapel/library is a bit slow since the west end of the station is only home to service and dorms on the normal-Z level, and usually people don't make a point of traveling to service for service itself, but end up there because it's centralized/on the way (as in Delta/Meta etc.).
Most traffic AFAIK is in the central area with medbay/bridge/brig.

Making the tram faster, perhaps adding a second tram (for travel efficiency), making the lower-Z more attractive to visit, would all be great improvements.

I think if you make it so medbay is swapped with bar would result in an even distribution of players across the map I agree. left side of tram is usually dead as hell
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #618771

I noticed that A LOT of cameras are oriented to not be "on" the walls but are floating in the air. This is something I've noticed accross multiple departments and hallways, I'd recommend for you to make a general sweep of the entire map since I've only made screeshots of a few cams in the general science area.
Attachments
bad cam 3.png
bad cam 2.png
bad cam.png
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #618808

Theres a camera floating in midair in the brig I believe.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #618831

camera rework for wallmounts fudged up the camera visuals since apparently the directional icons are actually backwards, cameras are mechanically the same atm but looked fucked until this is fixed

edit: already being fixed here.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #618961

security cameras should have code in their initialize() that rotates them to face away from an adjacent wall if they're floating or otherwise deletes them
NSFW:

Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #619167

MMMiracles wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:17 am camera rework for wallmounts fudged up the camera visuals since apparently the directional icons are actually backwards, cameras are mechanically the same atm but looked fucked until this is fixed

edit: already being fixed here.
Even though this PR is merged, it did not fix the camera issues. See my comment on the PR or just look at the map for yourself.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #645230

this is not a drill, i repeat this is NOT A DRILL
THE TRAM IS NOW TWICE AS FAST (barring heavy lag/time dilation)

you have been WARNED
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #648187

I have a lot of gripes about tram, I'll state that plainly

I strongly dislike the new bar/kitchen combo that was just put in

the old bar was a cozy little spot that enjoyed relative silence, a fantastic place for people to hang out away from the main goings ons of the crew and its antags
it was the closest thing to ice box's bar (the most cozy bar I've come across on any map I've played)

I get that you want people to mingle (it would be nicer if deltas bar and kitchen were closer together) but please.
don't take away the cozy bars.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #648410

I hear conflicting views on the bar, its either a cozy hangout spot that people really like the design of or it's a dead zone that gets no traction and bartenders hate it.

Of all the balance concerns I expected with the map, the bar certainly wasn't the one I expected to be higher up on conflicting views.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #648507

I really like the bar and the size of the kitchen. It's got enough space to do gimmicks with, without feeling like I'm encroaching on the chef's area.
You have to go through the bar to even get to the food, so if the bar isn't seeing traction, whose fault is that? If anything, the bar isn't getting traction because the bartender isn't doing anything interesting, or something is taking much higher priority. (like Nukies)

My only real gripe is that I do find it a bit odd how far the chef has to go to get to their order console, but I don't want it to be sequestered to chef use only like on Kilo. This is probably the best bar design of the stations we have.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #648682

yeah, i suppose if I was a bartender that WANTED some hustle and bustle the new layout is really nice.

i miss cozy hide aways though
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #664240

Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.