ChilledStation: Coming soon to a server near you

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

ChilledStation: Coming soon to a server near you

Post by EOBGames » #595770

Note: this station layout is now outdated, but I'm keeping it for some archival purposes. See below (viewtopic.php?p=650336#p650336) for the new layout.
► Show Spoiler
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: ChilledStation: Coming soon to a server near you

Post by wesoda25 » #595784

Have you come up with an answer yet on who will oversee the process of test merging and ultimately deciding on whether or not chilled will be merged?
[this space reserved]
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #595787

wesoda25 wrote:Have you come up with an answer yet on who will oversee the process of test merging and ultimately deciding on whether or not chilled will be merged?
Not at all, that bridge can be crossed when the time for a PR arrives.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #595791

Last edited by Farquaar on Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #595827

Ooh, I /love/ the public park area, and the little arcade, theatre is an actual theatre - I'm super excited to play on this !

please make sure medical is good though, i will cry if it's like kilomed
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #595852

Sylphet wrote:Ooh, I /love/ the public park area, and the little arcade, theatre is an actual theatre - I'm super excited to play on this !

please make sure medical is good though, i will cry if it's like kilomed
Medical may be a good next place to look, actually, since its probably the most finished of the departments for now- keep an eye on this space.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #595868

I feel like some areas are big and empty and will be desolate because they're not connected to populated areas and thus will never have people in them. Besides that it looks cool
Dopamiin
Byond Username: Dopamiin

Post by Dopamiin » #595951

ooh highpop map

looks fucking awesome i love it
plays on manuel
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #595988

Qustinnus wrote:I feel like some areas are big and empty and will be desolate because they're not connected to populated areas and thus will never have people in them. Besides that it looks cool
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it can lead to some interesting RP/gameplay experiences, the problem is really where it's a specific persons job area and they feel isolated.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #596021

wesoda25 wrote:Have you come up with an answer yet on who will oversee the process of test merging and ultimately deciding on whether or not chilled will be merged?
i'll do it :)
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
sergeirocks100
Byond Username: Sergeirocks100

Post by sergeirocks100 » #596022

I think the map looks okay so far, i just wish that it wasn't on a cliff.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #596023

Jaredfogle wrote:
i'll do it :)
make oranges do it
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #596025

Everything got changed, but the whole engi department. Please don't keep on copy pasting the same layout for every map (no i'm not talking about improving the roundstart setup to make it work better). Having a new layout would be much more interesting.
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #596027

This looks really cool.

Deserves an east coast bagil 90 pop server.
retired ss13 coderman
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #596063

This would be great on high pop
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #596167

I wonder how frequently people will steal the giant chess pieces
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #598461

I love it, actually, what's cargo like? Engineering?

Also, make these widebois buildable pls.
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
Kokonut
Byond Username: K0konut

Post by Kokonut » #601166

why are you using haram fat airlocks that barely work

also how can it be considered a living space for greys there arent even any toolboxes it needs a disposals that goes directly into tool storage

i love that fucking garden area so fucking much though, the seamless integration of the soil and the fucking chess area is so cool and i love the use of jungle assets
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #612701

Seeing this for the first-time, I feel mostly indifferent to the furnishings of the interiors; im more interested in the geography and the use of Z level interior space because both of these concepts are new to me. The garden/park feels more like a holo simulation than a actual room, and i hold some concerns that I think its going to get greifed very hard by people opportunistically cutting down the trees for wood because people won't value the room as non-disposable and quickly it'll get very messy with chessboard pieces missing, deforested, pitted with more trays etc.

I like the cliff-edge aesthetic, very bond-villianish, yet it could easily be Grilledstation (there aren't any z level lava maps far as i know) and get racious appraisal for it for a featureless unlit area (like a desert, you dont really expect too much to be there as long as it looks authentic), as my expectations are a little bit more distinguished in detail from the surrounding boreale forest, not glacial-north-pole enviroment.

Spoiler:
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #631435

I have some big news about Chilled that I'm hopefully going to be ready to share soon.

Don't worry, it's not dead.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #631442

I see that it is suffering from the disease that Asteroid had which is that it's too fucking big so the vast majority of the time the population is going to be very spread out which makes the station feel empty and reduces player interaction which is one of the reasons Ice Box was so good before the zoomers shit all over it with all that wasted space and pointless rooms because every area was an ideal size from years of incremental changes, they weren't too small like KiloStation's or too big like some of DeltaStation's (e.g. the cargo bay, the science and medbay foyers, the fitness room, etc.).
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #631481

User error
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #631685

ice box is still really good cacogen

personally the only time the map should probably be put in rotation is when its 60+, but who knows might be cozy either way

loving the look of that courtyard

please keep boxstation in rotation though its a classic you cant just get rid of it please
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Post by Time-Green » #632202

EOBGames wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:29 am I have some big news about Chilled that I'm hopefully going to be ready to share soon.

Don't worry, it's not dead.
im so hyped i literally cannot fcking wait
Likteer
Byond Username: Likteer

Post by Likteer » #637575

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:55 pm I wonder how frequently people will steal the giant chess pieces
You can make them with iron in your hand, it's just that there rarely is a board for them
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

ChilledStation: Back from a long vacation for a new re-reveal

Post by EOBGames » #650336

Oh hello, I didn't see you there! I think it's about time for an update on ChilledStation, because the progress it's made recently is immense and as such I'm feeling ready to share what I've got.

IMPORTANT NOTE: EVERYTHING IN THE FOLLOWING SCREENSHOTS AND RENDERS IS NOT FINAL AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

To start with, a full render of the map as it currently exists. This will include all the unfinished sections, so I'm really just including it for completeness. The more curated content below will be a better showcase of the map's more finished design.
► Show Spoiler
Now, onto more curated content. Everything in this section will be accompanied by ingame screenshots, to highlight another big feature of the map's design, lighting:

The garden, which was a focal point on the older version, has been upgraded a bit in scale and design, now making up the central point of the map, to serve as both a central congregational point and to provide a contrast with the cold environment outside:
► Show Spoiler
Surrounding it are the majority of the station's social areas and roleplay-centric jobs: the lawyer, psychologist, detective, mime, clown, bartender, chef and chaplain will all find themselves on or directly adjacent to the central hallway loop, making their workplaces visible and easy to access for passing players, and keeping them in the loop of the round.

While we're on the topic, why don't we take a closer look at those RP-centric workplaces?

This is the chapel- a warm, friendly environment to offer prayer, or see whatever the chaplain's cooking up this round:
► Show Spoiler
Directly south from the chapel is the library, which has been kept close to the central loop but given some deliberate isolation via being placed on a lower z-level, making it easy to access but quiet:
► Show Spoiler
The holodeck is also located here:
► Show Spoiler
The lawyer and psychologist are given modest offices, perfectly sized for small-scale chats:
► Show Spoiler
The bar and kitchen are two of the key areas of congregation on the station, and as such I've tried to give them ample space for players to get creative, as well as making them into spaces where players naturally want to spend time.
The bar has two levels, a more casual upper level with seating and tables, and a lower level with a dancefloor and stage:
► Show Spoiler
This space also hosts the commissary, ready for an enterprising player to fix up and open up:
► Show Spoiler
The opposing kitchen aims for a diner aesthetic:
► Show Spoiler
Anyway, I think that will do it for a first re-reveal (this post has gotten quite long!). Of course, feel free to peruse the larger-scaled screenshots for the rest of the map, but for the higher quality, true-lighting shots and explanations of design, that can wait until a later post, which should come much sooner than the distance between the last and this one. Thank you, and a final note: with current progress, provided nothing slows down, I am hopeful I can have this map at a releasable stage by the end of the year. Thanks to everyone who's remained patient and excited about the project, as it's really helped keep motivation high to continue.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #650365

This looks incredible and I could easily write an on how much I like every aspect of the map. You definitely used every tool that has been added to make multi z as cool as possible so I'm hoping next time we see the brig it will have genpop like tram does. This map definitely looks big enough that you could reasonable get away with murder even on 90 pop and I love that. Every department uses the multi z as a focal point and brings something interesting, like engineering's observation deck for the SM and science's massive elevator. The bottom floor even has the tramways for the cargo shuttle and maybe arrival shuttle too? The whole map has an incredible mix of the crampedness of tram's lower floor and wide open spaces unlike any other map. Very very excited to see where this goes and I'm glad we'll have a map for highest of highpops.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #650492

Another amazing update from EOB! This new iteration of Chilled is really exciting to see come together. The garden especially is a great focal point, and the space provided for projects & whatever for the crew may want to do is already giving me ideas. Overall, just a very solidly designed map that isn't afraid to leave behind the Box/Meta style of layout while remaining pretty intuitive. It feels far more lived in and real than icebox, which just feels like some slab of station dropped onto an ice planet. Here, the station is effectively built into the planet, and entirely fluff parts of the map like the railway lines really accentuates that.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #651098

Welcome back again. The feedback has been good, and it's been a little over a week, so now seems as good a time as any to present something again- this time, let's take a trip to Medbay, since it's about the most complete of the departments at present.

Medbay is located at the north of the station, directly off of the Main Hallway Loop. This central location is intended to make it easily accessible no matter where you are on the station, as its one of two departments with a need for a rapid response time. Nailing down an aesthetic for medbay was tricky- in the end up, I've went for the classic white and blue style, but with a few twists. Cold lighting is used almost universally throughout to make the space feel sterile, with notable exceptions in a few spaces which are meant to feel more welcoming. Additionally, black highlights on the floors provide contrast. Overall, I think it looks very nice.

In terms of overall map design, medbay follows the general department design conventions I've set out for chilled: it has a focal point, with critical infrastructure located centrally around said focal point, while more extraneous or roleplay-specific spaces are further off, but still accessible. This is covered in more detail below.

The lobby is the first point of contact for most players. Centrally located, it has everything needed to wait in comfort, as well as being overseen by the security outpost and the nurses' desk:
► Show Spoiler
Next, you move into the medical hallway loop. This runs around the central treatment space, which houses the Primary Treatment Centre, as well as two small surgical suites and two general practitioners' offices, while located around the outside are other important medbay features: the pharmacy, cryogenics suite, medical storage, CMO's office, paramedic dispatch, corpse disposal, the coldroom, and the departmental mailroom are located off of this hallway:
► Show Spoiler
Let's take a closer look at those features:
The PTC is the focal point for the department, as the most important room in medical:
► Show Spoiler
The small surgical suites provide a handy location to perform trickier surgeries without taking the patient to the dedicated wing, although they pay for this convenience in being smaller and less full featured:
► Show Spoiler
The general practitioners' offices provide a roleplay friendly space for interaction and examination:
► Show Spoiler
Medical storage holds everything the doctors require to treat patients, as well as the departmental modsuit and protolathe:
► Show Spoiler
The cryotherapy suite has the standard compliment of two cryopods, as well as a small waiting area for patients who are set to undergo cryotherapy:
► Show Spoiler
The CMO enjoys a view outside from their small, but cozy office:
► Show Spoiler
The pharmacy was inspired by my own real-world experience of chemistry labs, but tweaked to fit the constraints of SS13. The chem lab is additionally directly attached to the right hand side, offering easy access to the factory for chemists.
► Show Spoiler
Now, we'll take a look downstairs, where medbay has two separate lower sections. First, the western section, which contains surgery and pathology:
► Show Spoiler
Surgery comprises of an operating theatre, in the vein of older medbays, and an auxilliary surgery theatre inspired by that found on Deltastation. Together, these provide a large amount of space for doctors, as well as potential for roleplay opportunities (surgery for spectators, anyone?):
► Show Spoiler
Pathology, on the other hand, is the final resting point for dead crewmembers. Consisting of the morgue, the crematorium, and a pathology suite, the area aims for a dark, dim aesthetic, notably contrasting against the sterile white and cool blue of the rest of medbay:
► Show Spoiler
On the eastern side is the recovery wing, chem lab, breakroom and virology lab:
► Show Spoiler
The recovery wing consists of two patient rooms, a nurses' desk, a larger ward, and the ICU. This space is mostly intended for roleplay, giving the crew an inuniverse location to rest and recuperate from illnesses or to recovery from surgery:
► Show Spoiler
The chem lab, as explained earlier, is directly attached to the pharmacy, and evokes an industrial feeling with a set of light rafters above, and the factory floor below:
► Show Spoiler
With the break room, I wanted to make it more of a ready room for the doctors and less of a dedicated space exclusively for breaks- a sort of hybrid break room and office:
► Show Spoiler
As for virology, it's located on an isolated headland across a chasm from medbay- though with a number of ways onto and off of it, to save it from becoming too much of a fortress (note: the virology suite does not have its full complement of items, nor has it received catwalk flooring yet, though the main structure is done):
► Show Spoiler
That's everything I want to cover in detail: the structure is, of course, subject to potential change, but this department is presently the most finished, and is (I think) a good showcase of the design philosophies that are guiding the rest of the designs to come. As always, thank you for reading this, and for continued support for the map- I hope this continues to live up to the hype and provide what people are wanting.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Time-Green
Code Maintainer

Post by Time-Green » #651144

And man does it live up the the hype! I really love how spacious yet cozy these are. There’s even a lil’ cargo room 😭😭
I could spent my entire shift just walking through the upper ring, the pathology-surgery center and the recovery wing

I also really love the plumbing pit, but I am a bit biased there
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #651233

I like the look of it a lot. Very happy that it isn't too "over-designed".
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #651327

my god. a dance floor. perfect. now i dont have to call roller disco shuttle every round!

and that garden, lord. what a gorgeous map. i'm sure everyone will hate it.
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #651766

It's that time again, I suppose: today it's time to look at the heart of the research outpost- the research department.

Science is, similarly to the other departments, built around a central focal point: an elevator. This results in science being a very vertical department, spread across all three main Z levels, and (comparatively) tightly bundled together when compared with the more sprawling design of medbay.

First off, an overview, to get the lay of the land:
► Show Spoiler
Now, for our more detailed overview, let's start with the main R&D lab, since that's the main job location for most scientists:
► Show Spoiler
Next around is the Electronics Lab, a dedicated space for circuits (and that I am now noticing may be lacking some lights):
► Show Spoiler
The RD's personal lab is next, and while it's modestly sized, it contains both a traditional office space, as well as a private lab area (for any important experiments):
► Show Spoiler
Next is the prototyping lab, with the EXPERIMENTOR (does anything still use this anymore?):
► Show Spoiler
Genetics still needs table clutter sorted, but the structure is done:
► Show Spoiler
And last for the main floor, but certainly not least, is the Robotics Lab:
► Show Spoiler
Now, heading upstairs, we find the Toxins Lab, which takes up the entirety of this level:
► Show Spoiler
Lastly, we have the basement portion of science, which houses the Xenobiology and Cytology labs, as well as the break room, servers, and (importantly) the station's main link to the AI satellite.

The Xenobiology lab was built around a panopticon concept, similar to that on metastation, and has a spacious lab space alongside 8 pens for slimes, and the expected secure pen:
► Show Spoiler
Connected is the cytology lab, a dedicated space for cytology and vat growing:
► Show Spoiler
The breakroom, as in all departments, breaks with the cold lighting convention to make a warmer and more comfortable space:
► Show Spoiler
And finally, the AI sat access is in science, partially because it worked out being the best space to fit it, and partially since the AI has always felt (to me) as more of a science-based entity than engineering:
► Show Spoiler
The actual sat is too unfinished for me to feel comfortable showing close up- once it's done, I'll be sure to update you.

Now, onto a progress report- atmospherics is my current focus, such that I can get engineering finished and ready to show off properly. Security has also received a lot of work, with the basic layout and structure being pencilled in, and certain rooms being finished off- that should be ready to show soon. With both those changes made, Chilled will be in a roughly completed state structurally, and can then begin the process of detailing. Don't mistake this for meaning the map is close to complete- the devil is in the details, after all, and with the need to work on maintenance and add power/atmos nets, that stage could take a while.

Next time I post an update, I'll be sharing the layout of Cargo in more depth, partially because I like it, partially because it was sorta the first department finished, and partially because it bucks some of the trends of the rest of the map (in a healthy way). Expect that sometime soon-ish: I'm itching to get it out there.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #652040

more people should be commenting on this.

good work, keep it up
Time-Green
Code Maintainer

Post by Time-Green » #652100

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:22 am more people should be commenting on this.

good work, keep it up
I feel bad pushing up his masterwork, there's so much quality that commenting seems like an insult

But yeah it looks so good, I can literally feel the depth eminating (also literally lol). Even the experimentor gets a sick fucking room (also toasters)
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #652129

Alright, I'm feeling good today, so I'm gonna share Cargo- I did promise it would be coming soon, didn't I?

As I said in my previous post, Cargo somewhat bucks the trends of the other departments, mostly in omitting a primary focal point- this was done mostly to fit it into a more central location on the station, but I think it makes cargo feel tighter and cozier than the other departments- fitting for its smaller workforce.

Now, again, usual caveats apply- while structure and initial detailing are mostly done, the department is far from fully finished, and table clutter and such will come at a later date. I don't anticipate cargo will change much (unless the reception is truly awful), but you never know, so to again reiterate- this is not final.

Cargo's main desk is accessed off of the main hallway loop, via a staircase (that won't be as dark as this in the final version!)
► Show Spoiler
This opens into cargo's lovely waiting room (ignore the placeholder vaporwave floors- I've been using those in place of catwalks as catwalks are kinda annoying to deal with in the editor):
► Show Spoiler
The main cargo office has a staircase to the mailroom, as well as access to the cargo bay itself, the QM's office (so he can watch over his underlings) and the secpost for cargo:
► Show Spoiler
Let's take a look at the QM's office:
► Show Spoiler
The QM to me has always felt like a more grounded department head than the rest (hell, when this office was built, the QM wasn't a head at all), so in keeping with that theming, it's less extravagant than the rest, though it still obviously cements his place above the rest of cargo. It also gives a commanding view of most of cargo's workings via the windows, and if that wasn't enough, the QM gets cameras to keep tabs on the rest- nothing escapes his watchful eye.

The Cargo Bay itself is based on some warehouse designs I've seen, with a raised office area and the lower working warehouse floor. This gives the large space some much needed division and produces a unique effect when compared with the other maps:
► Show Spoiler
It's plenty big overall (the actual size rivals that of Deltastation) but with the dividing line between upper and lower, the space feels more contained overall- perfect for maintaining a cozier feeling down in the bay.

The supply shuttle itself is a train, much like the arrival shuttle (...occurs to me that's not been shared here yet- I'll put some of that misc stuff on the end of this post, because hey, I have the game open and it's on my mind, might as well). This helps again in keeping the bay contained. I've also taken design cues from boxcars in making the shuttle, so it has wide shutters to make loading and unloading easier (though conveyors are still provided for the more automation-minded):
► Show Spoiler
The floor space in the shuttle is negotiable- I'm happy to lengthen or widen it if need be, although the overall space should be fairly similar to other stations' shuttles.

Now, this opens an obvious question- how does the supply train get to/from the bay?
► Show Spoiler
This leads into the dark, gloomy depths of maintenance, which means this is a teaser for a later day (unless, of course, you look at the full map renders, but you wouldn't do that, would you?)

The northern side of the bay houses another small desk workspace, as well as the department's loader modsuit and Big Bess. Haul gauntlets are provided too, because options are nice:
► Show Spoiler
And then, we have the breakroom. Not much to say, it's just a nice space for the cargo crew to congregate, have a cup of joe, and gamble their meagre earnings away, all while getting a lovely overview over the lower caves, and the lobstrosities that are itching to snip you up. You know, cargonian stuff:
► Show Spoiler
Finally for the lower level, there's the warehouses (there are 2 of them). Not much to say, just a useful spot for storing stuff, or converting into meth labs, or whatever the current cargo trends are- I'm out of the loop somewhat, but I hope the space is welcomed:
► Show Spoiler
Now, observant viewers might have noticed some shutter doors- that, my dear viewer, is the cargo elevator, which I figured would be necessary for moving crates and such between the various levels of the station:
► Show Spoiler
It links to the warehouse hallway, main desk, main level hallway, and upper cargo, and should make for a simple and efficient way to move mass quantities of crates.

So, shall we head upstairs?

The mailroom comprises the middle deck of cargo, and it's a fairly communal space, with everything you might expect of a cargo mailroom- the sorting belt, a desk for people to get their mail, the cargodrobe, some desks- but it also hosts chilled's mulebots, which couldn't be placed on the lower level due to the way bot pathfinding works. The crate return is also up here, and leads into the cargo bay- although behind some windoors, before you tiders get any ideas:
► Show Spoiler
Heading upstairs again, we find ourselves on the top deck, at ground level. The drone bay is the main functional space up here:
► Show Spoiler
Then, we have cargo's outdoor setpiece, the container decks- a 4-level structure heading down to the upper mining level, situated next to a pit. These take advantage of the new shipping containers to give a decorative space to cargo- one that also allows the enterprising miner wannabe an easy route to the lower levels, if going via public mining is too simple for you:
► Show Spoiler
Note: the above images are brightened, since, you know, the icebox exterior is pitch black (I was holding out hope on the day/night cycle PR, but that's not materialised, so I will probably need to light these areas better- c'est la vie, huh?).

Now, onto those minor things I mentioned earlier.

Arrivals takes centre stage, being placed (pretty much) centrally on the map, and being accessed via the 4 staircases next to the garden. Its design is based on a subway station, with the shuttle itself being a train:
► Show Spoiler
The observant amongst you have probably noticed an issue- I'll be looking to resolve the parallax behind the shuttle being space- something more like a speeding subway tunnel feels like it should make more sense, but that's going to involve working with some coders, so it's not a priority for the time being.

Departures feels like an appropriate place to cover next, so let's head there. It's based on an airport departures lounge, with plenty of seating and open space:
► Show Spoiler
Finally, let's look at dorms. I wanted to try and make dorms feel a bit more sensibly sized for a station of anywhere between 60 and 120 pop- 4 rooms doesn't quite cut it. While the 24 beds offered by the dorms on Chilled still don't remotely match that (even with hotbunking that's a squeeze), I do think it devotes a more reasonable amount of space to crew comfort than most of our stations.

Your typical dorm room looks a little something like this:
► Show Spoiler
There's some greenery, two beds (you'll be sharing your room, space efficiency matters!), and storage. I set this up with the idea that workers on an NT station (at least in canon) won't be there longterm- probably a few months at most before they're off rotation, similarly to how arctic research posts or oil rigs work, and so they can afford to sleep in a more dorm-room styled arrangement given it's only for a short period of time. With 12 rooms, there's a fair amount of space for players to go SSD, if they want to leave the round in an RP-friendly way (personally, I subscribe to the oxygen tank theory, at least on the standard-RP servers, it gives the janitor more to do).

This then left me with some space to hand over to RP-centric spaces- let's take a look at the breakfast nook and rec rooms, located to the eastern side of dorms:
► Show Spoiler
These areas don't add much mechanically (but hey, if the chef wants to put on a breakfast buffet spread in the breakfast nook, I say he's dedicated to his craft and applaud him), but I think they're nice for making the station feel more like a real, lived in space, and less like a utilitarian design- something our current stations are unfortunately quite stuck in (not to say they're bad, it's just a different philosophy).

Holy hell, this post has gotten long! Let's round it out with a room I really like from command, since the bridge probably doesn't warrant its own showcase:
► Show Spoiler
Going forward, I'll round off departmental showcases (for the two that are left, anyway) with this sort of content, since there's a lot of smaller stuff that, while important to the station's design, don't warrant a full post on their own (until I run out of other things to show off, anyway). Expect stuff like the bridge, fluff rooms, interesting maint spaces, etc. to fit in this category.

Thanks again for reading, especially since this turned into a real monolith of a post. It'll probably be a bit longer until the next one of these- both sec and engi are kinda kicking my arse right now, so they'll need some time. See you whenever that next showcase is.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Time-Green
Code Maintainer

Post by Time-Green » #652174

I'm actually down bad with the design
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #653139

Is that an ian plush on the captains desk, hope Renault doesn't mind
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #653163

This map looks insanely good!

wish it had a tram though
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #653496

oranges wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:53 pm Is that an ian plush on the captains desk, hope Renault doesn't mind
It's a chew toy for Renault so it's fine, helps Renault cope with not being the beloved station mascot they have always dreamt of being
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #653568

renault sucks fr
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #653989

You have my support, this looks amazing! The cargo train is a pretty good gimmick and I can’t wait to see your progress. No rush, though, take all the time you need.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #654153

Hello! I feel it's been too long since my last post, and I've made some decent-ish progress on engineering (that I also need feedback on), so here's a short-ish post. Unfortunately, today's mostly going to consist of editor screenshots, so there's no fancy lighting or anything- though I hope it still conveys well enough the design of the department.

To start with, let's get an overview over the department, across three levels:
► Show Spoiler
The first thing that probably jumps at you is the supermatter- it is the focal point of the department, after all! This was the first part of any department I completed (indeed, this goes back a few map versions, before the current layout), and it informed the design direction for the other departments. To put it in short- I really like it myself, and I hope everyone else does too.

Let's zoom in a bit to see it in more detail:
► Show Spoiler
The chamber and emitter array are pretty standard to any other map. What might be a bit different, however, is the gas storage and secure storage. These are located by the SM for easy access, and contain roughly what you'd expect- gas storage has two replacement nitrogen cans, as well as oxygen and CO2, while secure has plasma, and the usual SM-adjacent paraphernalia. Also of note is the cooling system. Given Chilled is a planetary map, it required a bit more thought in cooling than the space maps. To that end, I'd like to introduce the Cold Chamber. It's set up to allow engineering players to filter in their own cold mix- or, if they desire, they can open it to the atmosphere, allowing nature to take over the cooling, a la Icebox. This is, as of time of writing, an untested idea, so I would appreciate people more experienced with the SM and atmospherics to weigh in and tell me their thoughts.

Moving upstairs, we can see the SM power capacitors and control room. This is based on the control rooms of nuclear reactors (specifically the nuclear reactors found in Fallout 76, as ashamed as I am to admit that), and allows for a cool overlook over the core of the engine, as well as control of blast and radiation shutters around engineering. There's also controls for the cold vent and emergency engine vent, which should allow for some degree of hands-off management of emergencies (although nothing replaces boots on the ground for setup and maintenance).
► Show Spoiler
The CE also gets a hell of a view over the SM, with an office that lets him really look over his demense in style:
► Show Spoiler
Down in the southern portion of engineering, there's the storage room, as well as the departmental mailroom:
► Show Spoiler
And next to that, the breakroom and departmental secpost:
► Show Spoiler
Heading up to the central point of engineering, there's the lathe and circuit printer, located here to be roughly equidistant between the two key parts of the department- the engine, and atmos:
► Show Spoiler
North of the engine overlook, there's the firefighting hub (with easy access to the engine) and a current unoccupied room (taking suggestions), as well as an elevator which allows lifting heavy equipment to and from the engine:
► Show Spoiler
Finally for the engineering portion of engineering, there's TComms (still very much a WIP):
► Show Spoiler
Now, I suppose we come to atmos. I should be upfront- I don't play atmos, but I have attempted to work with some atmos players on the layout. I'm almost certain there's going to be issues, so if you've got experience in the area, do feel free to tell me. I can't promise changes based purely on preference, but if there's stuff that's going to make the job unplayable on Chilled, I really would rather know now so I can fix it, rather than later as more stuff is built around it.

The upper level is mostly home to the control room and main office. There's also a gas storage here:
► Show Spoiler
Moving downstairs, we have the main level. I tried to keep it relatively compact, since I put a lot of the project space downstairs:
► Show Spoiler
And finally, the project space. This area is kinda unfinished as of right now- I wanted to make a post regardless, since I felt it was getting too long since the last one, but I do still welcome (and directly want) feedback on this area- again, it's easier to fix mistakes while they're fresh, rather than wait until they're set in stone (also, before anyone says, I'm aware the ports are unconnected, I'll fix that when I next work on atmos):
► Show Spoiler
So there's engineering. This has been a shorter post than normal, but I suppose that helps make up a bit for the monster I posted last time (and I've also not presently got the energy to include much more). I do hope engineering lives up to the other departments- I have less experience overall with this department than the rest, so I anticipate it's got some problems.

Also, to take another moment, again, to thank everyone for their kind feedback- making these posts is pretty critical to keeping up momentum on my end, and that's doubly true when people are enjoying my work. Thank you again, and I'll see you all in the next one, where (hopefully) we'll take a look at security.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #654178

It’s a little bit of a shame that if the engine goes up it looks like it won’t really damage anything outside of engineering but other maps also have this problem, and it should be really cool to be able to look down on it from above.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #656150

The sm cooling idea is neat. You would need an ass ton of coolant Gas though so I don't know how well it would work out

Also it would be very appreciated if you changed the pure pipes in atmos going to the pumps to layer adapters so atmos techs don't have to put their own down every shift.

Smart foam grenades would also be greatly appreciated if they aren't already there.

Also I don't think I see any air alarms in the entirety of atmos?
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #656795

Hello again! Today, it's time for the last department, Security. As usual, I need to preface by saying this isn't final (indeed, I'd like feedback on this layout because I'm less familiar with sec than the other departments), and as a result detail will be missing, particularly table clutter, wall decorations, and functional elements like atmospherics and wallmounts.

To start with, let's get a proper overview of the department:
► Show Spoiler
As might be expected based on the other departments, it's built up around a central space, in this case a large central hall that includes the briefing room. My thinking here was to create an interesting multi-z scenario, allowing security to create a fallback line on the upper levels, with the ability to throw flashbangs or gas grenades to the lower level to help repel attackers.

Now, onto a more detailed look, including the return of ingame screenshots:

Let's begin with the briefing room:
► Show Spoiler
Heading upstairs, there's a great overview of the entire space from the walkway and rafters:
► Show Spoiler
Now, onto the individual rooms:
The Head of Security has one of the cushier offices, lavishly decked in wood and carpet, alongside a great view outside:
► Show Spoiler
As might be expected of the head's office, it's somewhat of a nerve centre for the department. Found here are controls for various shutters, including the brig-front lockdown controls, as well as the hallway external window shutters. The HoS has a full complement of computers here, too, allowing access to all of sec's information at their fingertips. Of course, it wouldn't be a head's space without some relaxation potential, too- a plush sofa, fine cuban cigars, and some good booze all help with unwinding after a hard day of beating inmates and brutalising the clown.

Next, the breakroom:
► Show Spoiler
Much like the HoS' office, it gets a nice view outside, the perfect complement to coffeemaker coffee and microwave meals. Before anyone asks, the jukebox is nonfunctional (the real deal is too much of a lag generator, unfortunately), but it sure does tie the room together regardless.

Heading across the walkway, we find the evidence lockup:
► Show Spoiler
I wanted something a touch more extensive than the usual three lockers in a small room, hence I've went for more of a real-life inspired police station lockup, complete with fencing and racks for storage, and a desk for easy handover of evidence.

Then, across the hallway is the Security Office:
► Show Spoiler
This is mostly a miscellaneous space to fill out the department a touch- that's not to say it's without function, as it has the basic sec officers' main access to the security computers, including the security camera network and the sec database. I think it turned out nicely.

Last up for the upper level (at least indoors, anyway) is the interrogation suites:
► Show Spoiler
The two suites are identical (technically mirrored, but the contents are the same), and should make for some interesting opportunities when interrogating pairs- your partner could be selling you out next door, after all...

Of course, there's also the outdoors to talk about, specifically the shooting range (brightened, because we really need a better system for lighting on the icemoon):
► Show Spoiler
Take potshots at your choice of enemy (cardboard cutouts, beloved pets, or perhaps the flag of one of humanity's old enemies?), and crack open some brewskis (responsibly) with your sec buddies- Chiltbräu, coming to stores near you soon.

Heading back inside, let's look at the lower level and what's down there:

First up, the gear room:
► Show Spoiler
It's pretty standard as far as the other maps go- the secdrobe, the sectech, and 6 lockers, with an additional 6 additional spawns outside based on pop.

Across the way is the armory:
► Show Spoiler
Stocked with the very latest in security equipment (note: the Nanotrasen Security Arms Manual states that the flamethrower is for melting ice only!), the armory is also easily accessible from the heart of security once the shutters are open, allowing for a quick grab-and-go when shit hits the fan.

Finally, the brig front, with the Warden's office and brig cells:
► Show Spoiler
4 cells, 2 to each side. I know some people will be disappointed that it's not genpop, but I prefer the classic brig layout and felt it would work better with the other plans for the department.

The rest of sec is still under construction, most notably the permabrig (I haven't thought of what I want to do with it yet). Expect that sometime relatively soon, though- I plan to talk with some subject matter experts on the topic and figure out a design for it.

With the department du jour out of the way, let's look now at some of the miscellaneous stuff that doesn't warrant its own post- again, we return to command, today for a look at the Captain and HoP's offices:
► Show Spoiler
Both get premium accessories and premium views, as well as prime real estate next to the bridge.

Also in the command sector are the head of staff's quarters:
► Show Spoiler
When designing chilled, crew comfort (and realism therein) was a big consideration. As such, I thought about the heads quarters on various stations, particularly delta. While they're great in providing a private space for each head, I find their placement a bit problematic- nobody wants to roll out of bed directly into their office, and as such I figured it would be more sensible and more comfortable to have them away from each head's department, to give them some separation between their workplace and their living space.

With that, I think we're at the end of another showcase. Things are progressing smoothly, particularly with the hard part of sec's design out of the way. Additionally, I've been working on detailing, some basic atmospherics, and maintenance, really just whatever takes my fancy at any given time (gotta keep things fresh when you're working on a project this big). In terms of release date, I have to update what I've said previously and say it probably won't launch in 2022. With the festive season approaching and personal developments in my own life, my time for mapping is set to decrease, although my energy should be higher in return. No promises on when the next update will be, but I don't want to wait too long for it- I'll see you when I see you.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #656804

I think the Brig Lockdown buttons would be better served in the Warden's Office/Control Room. On every other map they are located in the Brig Control Room where the Warden can access and use them, since their office is almost literally at the frontline of Greytiding and Revolutions.

Edit: Plus the job of overseeing the security of the Brig itself is a part of the Warden's job.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #656836

I can't wait to play on this
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #656846

AwkwardStereo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:05 pm I think the Brig Lockdown buttons would be better served in the Warden's Office/Control Room. On every other map they are located in the Brig Control Room where the Warden can access and use them, since their office is almost literally at the frontline of Greytiding and Revolutions.

Edit: Plus the job of overseeing the security of the Brig itself is a part of the Warden's job.
I reckon I'll put them in both- the warden certainly has his role in overseeing the security of the brig, but the HoS is also the head of the department. Seems fitting therefore that both get access to the lockdown controls.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #657091

Hello! Today I want to make a small post just to give a proper update on the map as a whole, since the last full overview was in August. Nothing truly new to share, but I do have some nice, deeply atmospheric screenshots of the outside of the station, thanks in no small part (indeed, entirely thanks to) the new multi-z lighting propagation system (shoutout to lemoninthedark).

First things first: the full overview, as of 24/11/2022:
► Show Spoiler
And now, simply because it's been my big focus these past few days, some exterior shots:
► Show Spoiler
That'll about do it for this micro-update. More substantial stuff whenever I get the permabrig sorted, possibly more of this micro-stuff if people are interested (or I get particularly taken by the need to show stuff off again).
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler