Unable to read .dmm

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Unable to read .dmm

Post by TheNightingale » #78690

http://prntscr.com/6m1r15
I've been making a map for a while now (it's awful, but that's besides the point), and I've come across yet another unexpected error. This time, I can't even open the file or its backup. I don't have this problem with the other maps; just this particular one (and its identical twin backup).

Where am I going wrong; how can I fix it; and is it possible to recover the map?

Thanks.
TheNightingale
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Re: Unable to read .dmm

Post by WJohnston » #78709

Looks like a compilation error, these happen from time to time and can basically screw over your map real hard. Unfortunately byond provides extremely little reason why it doesn't open, but it SHOULD at least open the .dmm (in a blank screen) and say there are compilation errors. At that point, press ctrl+k and wait to see what errors it'll try to give you. You're also gonna need something along the lines of notepad++ to edit this externally.

EDIT: Also for future reference, if you're ever editing your map after having moved it to some new code and try to save, wait to see if your equivalent for the "saving" ticker of your mouse finishes. If it stalls and remains as saving, you have a compilation error. DO NOT close your map at this point, you'll at least have a warning in that your map never actually saved to also point it out for you. You're now in a position where you can usually brute force (or really caveman style) the solution without any help. Start deleting gigantic chunks of your map, and try to save. If it works, you've homed in on what object is causing the error. Undo, and delete a slightly more specific part and see if you can save still. Keep doing this until you've homed down on the exact line, then tile. Delete whatever object is on that tile one by one and keep trying to save until you've found your error!

This isn't always possible to do, like when there's a gigantic change in existing variables. I remember when I was still working on eff 1 we moved to byond 500, and all pipes in preparation had their color var changed to something else as an actual color var was being added by the update. I had to use notepad++ with a couple of lines from a coder to magically search and fix every single pipe. Since you've already closed your map though, you're in this position. Come onto coderbus and ask for that magical line.
Apparently I was an director or something.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #78713

Loading the file itself whilst another map is open (which usually works) just pops open an error 'unable to read'; closing everything and loading the recent environments works, however.

And...

OK. When I open up a notepad file of my map, I get this: http://prntscr.com/6m2vxh

... my map is now a plant bag.

I'm running off an old version of /tg/station13 code (pre-goonchem), and the error occurred whilst I wasn't connected to the internet. I don't think the code itself was updated; something... caused it to turn itself into a plant bag.

Help my map is a plant bag
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #78714

Try copying your backup over, and open that with notepad instead, see if it brings you the same problem. If it does your map might be lost!
Apparently I was an director or something.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #78749

The backup notepad file is the same - a plant bag. I guess I've turned my month-long project into a satchel for ambrosia deus.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #78852

If you've been using git you could try checking your git-history.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #79198

Might be this bug
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #79276

That looks like it. I'll take it as a sign: I need to make a botany map. Plant bags everywhere.