Considering working on some new audio/ambience

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Considering working on some new audio/ambience

Post by kayozz » #699373

Heya, first of all I don't know if I should have posted this in coding/ideas/or here. I chose here because it applies to the map as I believe the ambience is triggered by the location of the player on the map.

If you don't know, a while back (when I frequented Yogs around 2017) I worked on a lot of the ambient sounds that exist today. Mainly departmental such as brig, chapel, medbay, space etc... At the time only a handful of departments had their own themes/lite-motifs - I was initially inspired by the funky bass sounds in the Detective office and the weird howling sounds in the morgue and subsequently wrote a lot of original stuff that has now been implemented into the game. I tried to give each area their own sounds.
A guy called Floyd helped me to merge these into the code on Yogs and the sounds were subsequently forked/spread into /tg and other servers that use this code.
Sadly, I lost the original music tracks when my old computer went kaput and I think Floyd left the scene for his own personal reasons and thus, I don't have access to the original tracks without delving into the code. I did upload them to cancer killing /tg/, but I think time had its wicked way with them and they're none-accessible.

I've been considering doing a rewrite of such ambience and was hoping to get some feedback.
I've had numerous compliments and the odd complaint about my sounds/music over the years, with a few people reaching out to me on discord to say how much they enjoy or dislike the sounds.
For a long while I was a sole contributer to that side of the audio (departmental ambience) aside from the very original ambience and iconic theme music that was implemented by I-don't-know-who. But since then a fair amount of other stuff has been added.

So, getting to the point - Are you folks happy with the current sounds? Would you like extra stuff?
Are there any particular ambient sounds/lite-motifs that stand out? Any you want to get rid of?

Personally, I think the medbay ambience is a little too trippy for my liking, despite (as I've been told) it being kind of iconic. And I think the chapel sounds too erm... birdlike?

If anyone is interested in a re-work and someone would help me develop a PR - then here's your time to shine. I'm open to feedback.

NOTE: This isn't found sound effects like lazers, gun shots etc, this is more for the departmental themes that you hear when you wander into medbay/brig/lavaland etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EatJdpsfRiw&t=1084s
(Some of my stuff can be found here - ambience cave / atmos/ major antag victory / silicon / nice ambience + medbay) - Not a complete list, Floyd did have a youtube video with the full list of my sounds, but it went private when he left. But it gives you an idea.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Re: Considering working on some new audio/ambience

Post by Time-Green » #699539

Good to see you again! It's been a while. I PR'ed a few of your tracks for you back in 2017 (specifically syndicate.ogg, space.ogg and ambimine2.ogg). If there's any track in specific you're looking for, I still have back-ups of all the old yogs codebases (but I'll need to know what to look for). I could also look through our old correspondence, but I have literally no idea how we even communicated back then

If you need help PRing stuff, you can use https://hackmd.io/@tgstation/HJ8OdjNBc or just ask someone in the tg discord to PR it for you
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #699553

Hi Time-Green, a familiar face from yesteryear. I hope you're good!
I didn't realise it was you who also PR'd them, so thanks and apologies for forgetting. As you can probably tell I don't do much with the Github/PR stuff myself, hence my ignorance.
I'll have a think over the next few days and get back to you! I think it was on the Yogs forum we communicated, but I left there on bad terms and don't have access anymore.

Cheers for the helpful link. Bookmarked it for later use.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #701038

I would really appreciate it as a personal favor if Powerhouse would constantly play quietly in robotics lab.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #701261

I love the medbay sounds as it is, I'd agree with you that it is iconic.
Maybe some new space-tracks? I find the ones we have now to be a bit repetitive and samey.
Or even something spooky for maintenance, low and droning.
Thanks for all your work on the music!
respect (let him do his thing)
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #701557

I should add I don't know much about Github, so I'd need help merging these if at all possible.
I would really appreciate it as a personal favor if Powerhouse would constantly play quietly in robotics lab.
Stranger things have happened.
I love the medbay sounds as it is, I'd agree with you that it is iconic.
Maybe some new space-tracks? I find the ones we have now to be a bit repetitive and samey.
Or even something spooky for maintenance, low and droning.
Thanks for all your work on the music!
Thank you! I'll consider some maint spookiness and space tracks when I get started.