Prison Station (WIP)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Prison Station (WIP)

Post by Ikarrus » #106382

Alright, so we're considering moving forward with a prison station concept as discussed here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4090

Please rate, comment, and subscribe. Feel free to make suggestions on what you'd like to see now that I'm ripping up the floorboards. What you see here is subject to change as I receive feedback and develop it further. I'll be working with Kor and WJohnston on this project.

Phase 1: Removing Perma (Done)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/831 ... .54.15.png
- Extra breathing room allows us to re-add some rooms that were taken out and expand on what we already have.
- Shutters added to the armory so the warden can just open it up if he wants to arm the team quickly.
- I also made the brig's external access security access so they can actually use it now

Phase 2: Move Gulag to Hostile Planet Underground (Not Started)
See https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4195 for more information.

Phase 3: Add Prison Facility to Hostile Planet Surface (Not Started)
See https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4195 for more information.
- Planned to be a small outdoor compound of a few buildings rather than a singular structure.
- Expect electrified fences and lava moats.

Phase 4: Code requirements and cleanup (Not Started)
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Prison Station (WIP)

Post by Scones » #106398

Remove Interrogation's windows to space. There is a reason it does not have a glass door like much of the Brig does - It's supposed to be entirely enclosed.

Wow, that makes Brig really tiny. So the Gulag will have an incarceration area, and serve both as permanent holding and temporary sentencing, depending on the prisoner?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #106399

Yeah. It's going to give security the option to exile criminals to the hostile planet as well.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #106400

One benefit is that its harder for people to break out people in perma. Also keeps lawyers from getting in the way.

The drawback is that it will now take longer to process prisoners into perma, instead of me walking up a hallway I now have to take a ship to the surface.

This also means gang leaders and rev heads will be counted as dead, this can affect the times where security is unaware there's a gang or rev on board and they may accidently arrest a lot of the leadership and remove them from the game, same things goes if the HoS is the last head alive they may accidently leave the station to perma and lose the round.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #106401

Gang doesn't work like rev any more what game mode are you playing?

Anyways I could add a small holding area on station if security is really too busy with other things to make the transfer. Enough to hold like 1-2 guys.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106402

Just made the assumption since I've yet to play gang as security.

There should still be at least a few holding areas on station as you suggested for permanent prisoners, it may be convenient in some situations to keep a guy close at hand.
Scones

Post by Scones » #106406

A holding area would be extremely useful, yes.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #106409

This might be beyond the scope of the current project, but I wonder if wrapping some maint around security would make it more vulnerable to normal traitors while making it less vulnerable to the more or less uncounterable C4+armory grab.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #106420

Will this be incorporated into just box or box and meta?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106430

Looking over the currently proposed brig design, going to drop random comments.

- I feel the left side of the brig is more exposed to breaching from the inside of the station now, mainly due to the rwall+airlock that seperated the gulag transfer from the brig proper is now gone.

- The insane ward's gone as well as the prisoner transfer room, I guess that's a discussion on if executions should be held on station or on the planet however.

- As noted by others the windows in the interrogation room should go. Its meant to be a totally isolated room not one with a view.

- The interrogation observation is nice but essentially wasted space, might be a good place for a new area for a smaller scale perma (IE: Temp Holding) or the Insane Ward/Morgue.

- The evidence room to the left of the Warden's office lacks a lower rwall set, seems inconsistent with the rest of the layout.

@Kor: Maint around security will make it easier to breach the armoury to a extent, simply by virtue of not needing a space suit. Unless this maint is designed to be very difficult for anyone to get into outside of having a space suit.

I should also finally note that the addition of a prison station will mean being sent to perma will all but permanently remove you from the round even more so than current perma does. Since now it will be significantly more difficult for someone to notice you.

However, I think the planetbound ship should be located deeper within security and not very far out.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #106710

Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scones

Post by Scones » #106731

This makes the Brig so small I like it less and less the more I look at it.

This is going to lead to a lot of people being EXTREMELY asshurt because once sec takes you off-z you're basically fucked for good.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #106738

The prison station needs to be placed on the same z-level as the station, and accessed via telepad. Underground on the away mission planet is fucking overkill.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #106743

trash
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106752

I like the concept of a prison station, but I don't think it will be of any positive benefit to the station, security and the game. This will essentially by making the gulag the new perma, hence its easy to guess the effects of this.

As it stands now there are some possibilities for traitors to get out of perma, such as using a implanted uplink, working together with another traitor, subverting the AI or preplanting equipment in perma. However moving perma to a underground facility on another planet that is only reachable from either mining, security or via the escape pods really means its going to be all but impossible for anyone who gets thrown into the new perma to actually escape.

You can't preplan to escape hell considering the only feasible way I can see to get to the new perma would be to break into security proper, take the shuttle down and go from there.

Not to mention this will make perma placements more time consuming to pull off, as well as the fact this guts any form of permanent detainment from the station itself (it may not always be feasible to throw someone off the station).

I think someone has a better chance to get back on the station if security threw them out the airlock than threw them into a underground perma.

Finally, why was the original prison station removed? Maybe it was removed for a good reason, no need to repeat history.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #106781

I partly agree with a lot of your points, but Old prisonstation was apparently removed because A) Rev rounds got ended a lot by it and B) Traitor sec used it as a mass-murder zone and just killed everyone in it every round
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #106802

not a fan
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #106806

I definitely think this will negatively affect the round. Chores are not fun and throwing a prisoner in the gulag will be a chore. Perma is seldom used as is. Neither is it fun being trapped off z-level. It also takes key players out of the game for minutes at a time when there could be more pressing issues for security to deal with. The focus of the game should be on station. Cool concepts and maps can work against the game if they draw focus to the wrong things and waste player time.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106809

I think this will make a interesting replacement for the gulag, and is a good excuse to rework the gulag to be more efficient to use, but I don't agree with it replacing perma wholesale.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #106828

RIP then, if I'm going to have to face this much resistance then I think I'll just go ahead with my break as planned.

Kor has my map files if he still wants to go through with this.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #106838

Ikarrus wrote:RIP then, if I'm going to have to face this much resistance then I think I'll just go ahead with my break as planned.

Kor has my map files if he still wants to go through with this.
I wouldn't get discouraged.

I personally love the idea.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106839

Tornadium wrote: I wouldn't get discouraged.

I love the idea as well, but loving a idea does not mean its a good idea.

For example, I would love if the HoS had higher access but that's not necessarily a good idea.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #106840

Steelpoint wrote:
Tornadium wrote: I wouldn't get discouraged.

I love the idea as well, but loving a idea does not mean its a good idea.

For example, I would love if the HoS had higher access but that's not necessarily a good idea.
Well, When I love an idea I usually consider it to be a good idea.

Again, it's all subjective.