Giving the Away Missions Some Love

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Giving the Away Missions Some Love

Post by MMMiracles » #132352

Gonna start revamping all away missions to something more modern and less broken.

Beach: MERGED
Spoiler:
Caves: MERGED
PR: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12954

Based around a mostly unexplored cave system with a mining outpost on the upper-most layer. Four layers to explore as it gets progressively deeper into the planet's core, who knows what you'll find down there?

Snowdin: MERGED (asset overhaul soonish)
PR: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/13318

A large-ish away mission. Based inside an enclosed valley layered in thick snow. Several NT-Owned outposts are scattered throughout the valley for plot-related reasons I've yet to think of.
There will be a topside area and an underground cave dungeon to explore. The start and gateway exit will be located in the topside area for those who don't wish to dive into the cave dungeon for that phat loot.
Exploring the area without proper insulated gear is a good way to freeze to death so either pack warm or hope you find some spare sets of winter gear scattered around in the outposts.

Robotics Facility: CONCEPT

An abandoned robotics facility used for testing and production of NT-based silicons has had its supply gateway re-activate recently. This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact it was left to become a space derelict years ago.

Something probably involving the S.E.L.F faction, not 100% sure yet.

I'm currently looking into improving the current assets of the Snowdin mission, mostly consisting of the ugly walls and probably redoing the entire dungeon area all together after the freeze is over.
Last edited by MMMiracles on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:51 am, edited 10 times in total.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: Giving the Away Missions Some Love

Post by Luke Cox » #132364

I don't know what all the away missions look like, but be sure to give each one some sort of story that can be gleamed from the map itself, and an objective of some sort. Somebody suggested having to restore power to a place to get the gateway back working. Stuff like that would be very engaging.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #132378

My plan for the away mission maps are as follows

-put the syndie satellite out in space
-put the meat packing ship out in space
-remove station collision entirely or remove all its loot snd put it out in space
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #132555

As an update on the cave mission, I've gone to saving the volcano-land and lava turf sprites to be used for it. It seems like a real shame for them to go to waste considering how great they look.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #132566

MMMiracles wrote:As an update on the cave mission, I've gone to saving the volcano-land and lava turf sprites to be used for it. It seems like a real shame for them to go to waste considering how great they look.
I'm gonna make a PR to replace the asteroid sprites with them soon I think.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #132569

I have an away mission that was 90% complete. It's pretty benign, with a power-solve puzzle and a little bit of creepy backstory to be discovered.

Maybe I'll finish it.
Mime: Depresso
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #132735

invisty wrote:I have an away mission that was 90% complete. It's pretty benign, with a power-solve puzzle and a little bit of creepy backstory to be discovered.

Maybe I'll finish it.
Creepy backstories are what away missions need. I'd love to see your map finished
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #132737

make one a strip club full of phoebe lotsu/fortune ray clones pls
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #132921

Well I just lost a few hours worth of work on the away mission, last backup is fairly outdated compared to what I had done.

fak.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #136702

Caves is finally finished and merged into the master branch. Gonna take a bit off mapping but I already have an idea for another mission if the feedback for caves stays mostly positive.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #136714

Main problem with caves right now is the inconsistent cave theme, but that's a really easy fix because all it needs is sprites and implementing those sprites, and the sprites are done.

Otherwise, it's a pretty damn good mission, not too hard, good loot if you look around, nice theme.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #136715

Does the SORD actually do anything, I found it in a locker and it didn't seem to do damage
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #136716

Anonus wrote:Main problem with caves right now is the inconsistent cave theme, but that's a really easy fix because all it needs is sprites and implementing those sprites, and the sprites are done.

Otherwise, it's a pretty damn good mission, not too hard, good loot if you look around, nice theme.
Sprite inconsistency will be fixed once smoothlava is merged and the basalt rock tiles are done (i tried both but fucked it up so it looked bad and I gave up on that part).
Zilenan91 wrote:Does the SORD actually do anything, I found it in a locker and it didn't seem to do damage
The SORD is the best weapon in the game.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #136919

I once tried to have the sord,,,, do negative damage because it's so shitty, but damage code has safeguards against that and I didn't want to mess with them too much
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #136986

Started mapping out the tundra awaymission, mostly trying to get the foundations of the outposts first before anything.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #148445

oh look this isn't dead yet

Updated post, gonna look into some asset improving on the snowdin mission and redoing the dungeon.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #148484

If you're going to generally improve away missions, can you just like, remove the emitter maze?
Seriously it was made before emitters were deconstructable so it's 100% cheesable with a screwdriver and crowbar, not to mention it's just generally cheesable and uninteresting.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #148487

Yeah please remove that mission. It makes me not want to even use the gateway it's so bad.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #148493

Please implement the beach away mission, it would be nice for the away mission to be completely not deadly every once and awhile.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #148494

kazeespada wrote:Please implement the beach away mission, it would be nice for the away mission to be completely not deadly every once and awhile.
>complains about the wild west mission for being ugly and boring
>wants the beach mission
???
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
kazeespada

Post by kazeespada » #148495

PKPenguin321 wrote:
kazeespada wrote:Please implement the beach away mission, it would be nice for the away mission to be completely not deadly every once and awhile.
>complains about the wild west mission for being ugly and boring
>wants the beach mission
???
Beach is more like a break from an Away Mission. You can just chill at the beach and just smoke and drink. Its like the bar, but your even further from the station so people won't come rev you or gang you, or nuke you.

Wild West is an MEH away mission that takes forever, and isnt that fun.(Its not Moon Base bad) but its as bad as challenge.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #148496

I wouldn't mind having beach as an away mission if it had some cool stuff on it like a volleyball court or some minor station loot so people could just chill.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #148502

I did update the beach mission but it was taken out of rotation for not being action-y enough for the server. Maybe I'll look into putting more content into it when I'm doing making snowdin look less shitty.

Also yes emitter maze is awful but I think you're better off asking MSO to disable it from rotation.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #148510

>people complain that away missions will steal all the crew away from the station
>remove away mission because it's not a deadly murderhole that will steal crew away from the station

Ebin.
kazeespada

Post by kazeespada » #148527

Can I have the .DMM and any associated .DM for the beach?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #148653

I might have a PR up in a few days with the changes to snowdin, majorly in the dungeon area. I'm trying to look into using the ruins spawner so the dungeon area is essentially a giant cave system with random ruins spawning in marked areas.

Also I added blizzards for the topside area so that will be fun.
kazeespada wrote:Can I have the .DMM and any associated .DM for the beach?
I mean you can just get it off the github easily.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.