Research Vessel 13: Map Concept WIP

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Re: Research Vessel 13: Map Concept WIP

Post by DanielRatherman » #163638

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cheimon wrote:Basketball is always a fun holodeck concept. Needs uniforms (or bibs at least) to go with it otherwise teams are tricky.

Yeah was definitely gonna do that. Probably a gym with a pool, maybe a small breaching combat arena for boarding training.

Perma looks good, though I'd probably want to wall over the accessible bits of that window (very easy to break them). Is the locker anchored? Making it a normal locker would make escape through space more plausible, assuming there wouldn't be a layer of maintenance there. The cells look good too, though there is a big gap in the middle. Maybe you could add a statue or a table with some junk on it (space law, flash, pen and paper) or something?

The locker doesn't have to be anchored- there should be some prospect for escape using it I think. Also a place to ambush officers/avoid nuke ops/survive tesla etc. As for the windows they are shocked and monitored often- so probably not too bad but I will see what I can do. Might put atleast some kind of floor decor there- but I am unsure about clogging up that central area. Maybe just a statue for a dorf fortress reference. "A Gabbro statue of a security officer. The security officer is laughing. All craftsspessmanship is of the highest quality. You feel a happy thought looking at it."

I've noticed there aren't any camera consoles. If you do have an AI, all rooms will need cameras, and the humans might as well be able to view them in the bridge and security areas at least.

Oh I just havent fucked around with that yet. Same with APCS, Air stuff, etc. That will be it's own nightmare to test and re-test over and over once the shell is actually made in Byond. So far I've only done buttons and stuff.

I think you could probably get away with more liberal use of carpet. The heads of staff meeting table could look more comfortable with it underneath, for example. The bridge in general seems like a strange design in that it all faces away from the station, but that's your call. I can't help but feel the L-corridors above and below it feel like wasted space compared to the compactness of the rest of things.

Same with this- It's a pain to edit in carpets underneath furniture at it stands. Decoration in general is only sketched out here. I admire Goon's maps for how lived-in and detailed they are with fucktons of carpet, poster, plant, etc. varieties and would want to emulate this somewhat. I have to sprite all that shit first, and that seems more like a stage 2 or 3 for the project.

As for the corridors- they are a bit empty. Might put some chairs, plants, maybe a vendor or 2 in them.

DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Re: Research Vessel 13: Map Concept WIP

Post by DanielRatherman » #166977

http://i.imgur.com/QYeA4R6.jpg

Added some slight detail around, cleaned shit up a bit, and added the gym and a swimming pool to the holodeck with more stolen goon shit.