New sprites by Supernorn (of Robust Games and Chucklefish)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Tiftik
Byond Username: Tiftik

New sprites by Supernorn (of Robust Games and Chucklefish)

Post by Tiftik » #18174

Supernorn posted about the BYOND SS13 sprites he's working on.

Blog post: http://spacestation13.com/2014/07/a-new-perspective/

Link to the image: http://spacestation13.com/wp-content/up ... ective.png
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: New sprites by Supernorn (of Robust Games and Chucklefis

Post by Ikarrus » #18183

Dem walls
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #18188

I implemented this once with Knockoff's of Supernorn's originals.

私は完璧
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #18191

The problem is finding a solution for north-facing wall gadgets...

Otherwise, it's something I'd really really love to see.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #18199

Goon uses this stuff, and it shouldn't be hard to implement directional sprites for certain stuff.

Nay sayers who said ss13 didn't need consistent angled sprites be damned, this looks awesome.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #18217

We need those airlocks.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #18307

to be honest i think it looks horrible
on goon it looks so unfitting because nothing else is in that style, including the actual player characters (this is fucking important!!!!!!)
the sprites themselves are good but they would not work with this game
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #18311

I don't care much for the floors and walls. But those lockers look awesome.
Hey.
Perakp
Byond Username: Perakp

Post by Perakp » #18313

Muh perspectives!

It's like he sprited a whole new dimension, full of mystery and new angles to look things from.
miggles

Post by miggles » #18506

none of you know what youre saying
they legitimately look awful in game
it fucks with the perspective even more than it already is fucked because instead of most things being in a similar perspective now a new one is added and it looks wildly different from everything else in the entire game
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #18507

I agree with Miggles. The style is way off for TGStation.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

miggles

Post by miggles » #18509

its on goon and it looks like shit
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #18621

Yeah I'm iffy on that art style, its a weird mish mash of two conflicting art styles and perspectives, it could work but everything would have to be remade to fit the new style.

The lockers though look great.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #18624

miggles wrote:none of you know what youre saying
they legitimately look awful in game
it fucks with the perspective even more than it already is fucked because instead of most things being in a similar perspective now a new one is added and it looks wildly different from everything else in the entire game
tl;dr: I don't like change
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
miggles

Post by miggles » #18660

so when its a minor change involving consistency like a blinking light on a gun its considered super important but when youre changing several of the most common items to clash with the entire game's fairly consistent art style, consistency gets thrown out the window
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #18789

Isn't the consistent angle of structures like walls and machinery more important than art style niggles

IE walls being top-down even though spacemen and machines are at an angle
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #18794

Primary issue is that since as far as I know, the author hasn't committed the sprites in a (opensource) ss13 repo, and I don't see anything about licensing in their blog post, so we can't really 'steal it' due to copyright.
Secondary issue is that things like light switches/fire alarms/etc that attach to the south end of the wall are screwed.
Tertiary issue is that you would need to 'correct' a majority of sprites to fit with the new style.
Quaternary issue is that you must maintain the 'style' or else it will clash. Maintaining the style, according to you, cannot occur on artyom.
paprika wrote:artyom isn't a codebase where we care about ss13 original vibe integrity so much because we're not autistic.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #18795

To be frank there is nothing "autistic" about maintaining a artistic integrity across the board, if anything a clash of sprites and art is a massive negative drag to a game.

While I think the sprites for the Robust Games SS13 look pretty darn good thus far, the sprites shown off in this blog post, while nice looking, heavily clash with the current art style in a very bad way.

I sincerely hope /nt/ does not adopt the wall art style shown unless its prepared to change all of its art to reflect that, cause walls are one of the most common things your going to see in the game.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #18810

Neerti cherrypicked that quote from a different discussion because he can't into actual arguments.

Art style has nothing to do with gar glasses. You can make gar glasses in ss13 art/sprite style if you want. The use of colors and shading have more to do with what this thread is about than the retro future vibe that napkin was complaining about artyom ruining with an anime reference.

What I was talking about here in regards to stylistic choices were actually contrasting items. If you were to resprite all the machines to have a thick black outline for example, that would clash with the 'art style' of the game. Consistency in that regard should at least be attempted to be maintained for the sake of things looking consistent as if they were all sprited by the same artist or team. It has less to do with what I was talking about in the gar glasses thread, which is the retro future 'vibe' ss13 has which is frankly an autistic thing to obsess over as a reason to not include some joke reference items.

Also everyone saying that the new sprites from supernorn would 'clash', keep in mind he's planning on doing a COMPLETE overhaul as in respriting ALL those things that they would clash with. He wants to design an entirely new machine, structure, etc sprite base and establish a new consistent art style for the game like he did before. Read the post next time, seriously, I'm getting sick of having to paraphrase because nobody can into reading comprehension.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #18818

To be perfectly frank, a large amount of the sprites we have today are from Supernorn's first Overhaul.
I say we just trust him considering he's a hired "professional"
私は完璧
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #18819

Yeah honestly I'd wait to see what his overhaul looks like on goon and see if they release them to the public. If they don't there's no reason to give a shit anyway, and if they do it's a worthwhile consideration to port to /tg/ code because he DID make the 'original' sprites that were on the original goon open source.

I'm sure he's going to find ways for mappers to work around light switches on the 'backs' of north walls, just give it more time before going like 'ew' when you look at goon or what have you.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #18824

I like them.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
rosello

Post by rosello » #18978

I hate them. I don't like the bottoms of the walls and how light they are, and I don't like the angle they're at. I'm fine with the old walls, and I don't want them to change.
wake me up before you jojo
Marshall/Mira Mudskipper, Bethan/Renni Ashbird, Trish/Susan Gecko, Mia Karp/K.A.R.P, Elliot Spark, Adriana/Octavia Spiral, Mimi Mime, Violet Caterpillar, Eve Steel, Bethan Butterfly
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #19040

I get the feeling you're looking at RR's image and not the one linked in OP
rosello

Post by rosello » #19154

paprika wrote:I get the feeling you're looking at RR's image and not the one linked in OP
I don't like the angle of the ones in the OP, but yeah, the problem I had with the bottom of the walls is RR's image only.
wake me up before you jojo
Marshall/Mira Mudskipper, Bethan/Renni Ashbird, Trish/Susan Gecko, Mia Karp/K.A.R.P, Elliot Spark, Adriana/Octavia Spiral, Mimi Mime, Violet Caterpillar, Eve Steel, Bethan Butterfly
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #19195

Yeah guys you have to remember about my image:

I'm not a spriter + I sprited the rip-off ones used in the picture = Poop.
私は完璧
suomynonAyletamitlU

Post by suomynonAyletamitlU » #19585

My issue with those walls is primarily that you utterly and completely lose wall items unless you are okay with them being crap.

You have virtually no canvas space to speak of on north walls, side walls are worse, and you just have to pretend that south walls don't exist. That means no APCs on south walls, on the entire map. Every sprite that involves wall items would have to be drawn in extreme perspective, which means that only spriters capable of and willing to pixelart in extreme perspective would be able to do the conversions. Sprites at that size and perspective would have virtually no room to speak of for meaningful details (the APC lights, while small, do actually say something), and all the different variations on them (wires-out for example).

It should be noted that byond has the ability to rotate the character perspective (making you face east, south, or west, and adjusting all map icons) and it is totally broken for ss13 currently. That would solve the perspective problem to some degree, but you would need to adjust a lot of icon files and the way some things, like the SS13 floor logo, are done. You also couldn't do it with the APCs and such on the wall next to the floor; you can't rotate the pixel offsets when you rotate perspectives. Also 2x1 objects don't rotate, although that doesn't matter here.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #19592

suomynonAyletamitlU wrote:It should be noted that byond has the ability to rotate the character perspective (making you face east, south, or west, and adjusting all map icons) and it is totally broken for ss13 currently. That would solve the perspective problem to some degree, but you would need to adjust a lot of icon files and the way some things, like the SS13 floor logo, are done. You also couldn't do it with the APCs and such on the wall next to the floor; you can't rotate the pixel offsets when you rotate perspectives. Also 2x1 objects don't rotate, although that doesn't matter here.
An admin did the rotate on me once. Was kinda cool but screwed up things like the sign.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus