Changeling

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Changeling

Post by Skorvold » #4332

So, these things suck people dry of their DNA or, in recent cases, don't. They just sting them, like a wasp that doesn't hurt. So, my thoughts were we should re-evaluate changeling and look at it in a RPish kind of way.

Changelings are aliem creatures that can take the DNA of any and all creatures, it would make sense that in changeling culture. That there would be different broods/hiveminds/families/cults of changelings, some would be put towards more deception and stealth, others towards straight up combat. So, in the evolution menu instead of getting your 5 points that you spend on each individual sting you would choose a bundle worth 4 of those points leaving you an extra point to get yourself whatever sting you want along with the bundle. Absorbing people should be encouraged, I know it's shitty to have your miner bro turn on you and be out of the round forever, but death is what makes the round go on. Anyway, back to the bundled stings. Choosing a strain/sting bundle depends on your objectives, combat oriented changelings that have Para+Arm Blade+Whatever else would be in that package would have much much higher risk objectives like assassinating multiple people.

So, whaddya think?
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Changeling

Post by Stickymayhem » #4338

I feel like adding more options is better than preset load outs.

Really the issue is the conflict between the uninteresting, weak ass DNA Sting and the round killing absorb. There is no middle ground between the two extremes that anyone has been able to find yet, and that is the issue at the heart of changeling.

RP wise is a nice idea but I don't think that should influence gameplay to such an extent.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #4362

What if we added more options, but we re-did the presentation of the option select screen?
I had something like this in mind.
Drop down menus for easier organization, better than just slapping more and more options on a list.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #4398

Of the sneaky impotent stuff I always liked voice changer and transform sting for causing chaos and framing people. Sadly speech bubbles on top of those stupid tracking links AIs get outing voice changing near instantly in addition to admins insisting that the meta of putting a failed channel tag in your speech was unforgivable that never took off.

Without that there isn't really a pay off to being so drat sneaky. I miss killer lings deeply and want them back.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #4428

Anything that takes a player out of the round with little to no chance for him to counter it or retaliate is bad - It's the reason why Parasting was bad, it's the reason Cryosting is less-bad (but still pretty bad), it's the reason Parapen C4 is so frowned upon.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #4430

mfw when waiting for changeling only rounds to end

Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #4512

I Point you here https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/448

While I haven't updated it remotely for a while, all it needs is a few tests locally and we can get it Merged.
A (forum) Poll was held with 100% (last I checked) votes for Yes.

(I also have plans for Changeling beyond this too, so yeah.)
私は完璧
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #4796

I will happily test it more for you when you post your next update for it, RR!
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #4927

Gun Hog wrote:I will happily test it more for you when you post your next update for it, RR!
Sounds good, You're testing is always of a high standard.
私は完璧