What are the best ways to kill a rogue AI?

General SS13 Chat
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

What are the best ways to kill a rogue AI?

Post by Cheimon » #109052

I'm looking for strategies. Sometimes an AI is clearly rogue but not the only problem in the station, so it's up to a few people to take it down.

I normally find I grab an EVA suit and tools (and a laser gun) easily enough, and it's not tricky to get to the core, but I find myself coming unstuck on the turrets (and also securing gloves in time). I'm typically playing security, but I'm looking for pretty much any strategy that can be done quickly, and advice on how to get the gear that strategy requires quickly. I'm assuming the AI at this point has shocked a few doors and screwed up the atmos of a few more.

How do you get past the turrets in the AI core to kill the AI? What are some good strategies?
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: What are the best ways to kill a rogue AI?

Post by TheNightingale » #109058

An RCD will get you in from the satellite, and you can wall off turrets. Without one, go from space and deconstruct the r-walls, try and laser it from there.

The engineering vendors have RCDs, as does any autolathe - and a laser gun might be harder to get. If metal foam ever gets fixed, that's an easy way to block off turrets.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #109059

A alternative way is to hack around back and get the AI from behind, if you have a laser all you have to do is decon the SMES and shoot it.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #109060

Break the glass between the sec lockers and the armory and take the sec hardsuit and laser yourself if you don't have access/access to someone who can access it for you. Ignore doors and while it takes longer, cut through the walls on the way in from the south.
One rglass in space, break down the computer then the first smes, two rwalls then the other smes and you have line of sight on the AI and fuckall he can do to counter you, No gloves no worries.

It's not quick, but it is dirty and hard to counter, It's a decent move if you cannot acquire gloves.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #109064

In through the back is really good and the AI can't do much to fuck with you
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #109070

Yeah if you're in the SMES room you have a clean shot onto the core, and it cant do shit.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #109074

Telescience onto the core, hand Tele back to science and beat it to death with whatever you choose.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #109075

Okay, that's helpful. Thank you. I have a couple of follow up questions.

First off, what if the AI has made a hull breach at its core? I had this problem last time I tried: the second SMES was immediately sucked in, and as far as I know you can't shoot through half-built machines.

Second, how many shots will it take to kill an AI with a laser?
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #109078

first: if you broke in through space on the southern end a hull breach won't matter, pressure will be equal but you can weld the vents/scrubber if you want, then even if there is no breech in the core the air will be pushing out, not in.

Second: took me seven hits to my recollection.

Edit Also, it should be noted this is just how to get past the turrets with no gloves or access of any kind, You still have to deal with the securitron and/or borgs with traditional methods.
Attachments
AI core entry.png
Skyglazer
Byond Username: Skyglazer

Post by Skyglazer » #109087

Gibonite
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #109095

Having backpack arsenal and just rampaging your way in
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #109107

don't be dumb and talk about doing it over the radio, in fact don't even voice your suspicions over the radio, you want the element of surprise, never give that advantage away, talk to people face to face

prep quietly

suit sensors off, ID off so you come up as unknown, in case the AI is tracking security/heads of staff/known threats, stick to maint if you can, you want the AI to forget about you

kill the borgs. If you're soft and want to lock them down, at least screwdriver the console after you're done

get people to break cameras it's easy now just hit them

the core itself is pretty weak without borgs/a third party helping the AI. There are multiple ways to breach it really, it all comes down to knowing how to grab the needed items/allies/preparation for your strat quickly and safely.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #109122

get a RPD or RCD. Hack or delete satelite doors, spam disposal bins so the turrets are blocked, walk in and toolbox the AI.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #109129

Keep in mind you can spy on borgs with security camera consoles in case you suspect them of doing something shifty. Don't do that without suspicion though or metagaming BWOINK!

Malf AIs technically have a power to disable RCDs. Fortunately, no one ever uses it.

To kill an AI LIKE A MAN, you can use a BoH singulo, however this has a high chance of getting you banned and/or ded
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #109130

bandit wrote:Keep in mind you can spy on borgs with security camera consoles in case you suspect them of doing something shifty. Don't do that without suspicion though or metagaming BWOINK!

Malf AIs technically have a power to disable RCDs. Fortunately, no one ever uses it.

To kill an AI LIKE A MAN, you can use a BoH singulo, however this has a high chance of getting you banned and/or ded
Bullshit, I watch borg camera's whenever I damn well please.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109134

provided there are no borgs,
1. get EVA gear (and magboots if you can in case of space wind and AI's slippery foam things, sunglasses can also be helpful because of mounted flashes)
2. get 2 metal sheets
3. get any half decent melee weapon (fire axe is probably the best bet, followed by surgical saw/null rod, followed by fire extinguisher/toolbox, followed by metal rod)
3. get full toolbelt (and insulated gloves because the AI is 99% likely to shock the doors)
4. fly down to the AI satellite and hack and bolt open airlocks, make sure to cut AI control wire
5. use metal sheets to make a locker
6. drag locker behind you and run up to turret, then jump in the locker before it shoots
7. when the turret gives up and goes back into its shell, pop out and hit it about 3 times then get back into your locker
8. repeat step 7 until all turrets in range are dead
9. kill AI with whatever brute weapon you killed turrets with

if there ARE borgs, you're kind of SOL no matter what you do unless you bring your 3 most robust friends and you all have some method of stunning borgs (pro tip: get the EMP grenade from the derelict for maximum powergame)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #109147

Honestly sometimes I find ghettoing up some bombs from toxins and throwing them at the AI core isn't a half-bad way of killing it. The main upside is that most AI's are too concerned with killing people and defending the core that the longer-term threats easily fall off their radar.

You only need two bombs to kill it, and I think you can even luck out with just one? I think a 5/10/20 has a good chance of popping the core APC through the two r-walls.

If you're invading the satellite, they'll spend as long as they can fighting the invaders to rack up kills, and this is a prime opportunity to suicide bomb an AI because they'll rarely shunt, even if you're just a regular old scientist.
Mime: Depresso
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #109150

How to kill a rogue AI.
Assemble ~10 bored assistants with nothing to lose. Then, you either win and become heroes or you die in a hail of laser fire and eardrum shattering pingsky swearing.
Spoiler:
As CE:
Enter via tube.
Unlock the turret panel and disable the turrets.
Go to the APC north of you, turn off equipment power and disable AI control (this will depower the turret controls).
Build glass case around pingsky.
RCD deconstruct chamber airlock.
Stand in the airlock's tile and start making a path with walls on either side towards the AI core.

Takes two minutes. Only real requirement is having access to the foyer's turrets and some luck that the AI doesn't know about pingsky's annoying amazingness. If you don't have that access, take the slow route via the backdoor or rush the foyer APC and cut/pulse wires to depower it. AI core turrets are a joke since they cannot shoot at somebody standing in the doorway.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #109161

The best way to kill a rogue AI is have the majority of people try to reset the AI and have a small group of engineers break in with the captain from the bottom it will work if no comms communication
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #109174

Get one laser
Get a hand tele

Use the no target teleport repeatedly until you teleport onto or by the core.
Even if you can be hit by a turret or 2, you should be able to YOLO the AI before dying/teleporting out.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #109201

ability for rogue ais to lip read when?????
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #109211

I have had success using metal foam grenades to block up the core and then tunneling through
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
invisty

Post by invisty » #109220

lumipharon wrote:Get one laser
Get a hand tele

Even if you can be hit by a turret or 2, you should be able to YOLO the AI before dying/teleporting out.
Grab an RPD too, and you'll get away laughing.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #109224

invisty wrote:
lumipharon wrote:Get one laser
Get a hand tele

Grab an RPD too, and you'll get away laughing.
The pipe thing? What's the point of that?
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #109226

Step one: get a RCD, magboots, and suit, or in other words loot EVA.
Step two: walk in the general direction of the AI, ignoring everything it does as you shit out walls and remove doors.
Step three: sit in front of the AI, reading WGW to it until it suicides.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
invisty

Post by invisty » #109229

Cheimon wrote:The pipe thing? What's the point of that?
They let you spam chutes and bins which block lasers from the turrets. If you have one of these, all you need to kill the AI is a toolbox to open doors.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #109233

invisty wrote:
They let you spam chutes and bins which block lasers from the turrets. If you have one of these, all you need to kill the AI is a toolbox to open doors.
you will still get fucked by pingsky
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #109243

whodaloo wrote:
invisty wrote:
you will still get fucked by pingsky
Can we get a little sidetracked with good ways to address the pingsky problem without a laser gun? or a partner? and for that matter a partner isn't much help either, we both just ended up ziptied and fucked. though that might have been our failure. so a two parter, how to do it solo with no laser, and as a team with no laser.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #109247

2 people is easy mode

Someone acts as bait, other person applies extinguisher

Solo is throw floortiles 5evr or use an actual ranged weapon
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #109257

Don't underestimate securitrons.

One time a borg had brough beepsky and put both of them in the teleporter room.

About 6 of us (mainly sec, all with guns) stormed through the teleporter, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US got utterly cucked by the securitron tag team before we could fire a shot.
Then the borg strolled in and murdered us all.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #109268

yeah, securitrons are powerful as shit, especially since people dont actually look at them.
they'll just be murderboning in the halls when suddenly *BZZT* I AM THE LAW
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #109275

Securitrons easily get stuck and have horrible pathing. They can be defeated by a few glass panes.
Pretty sure they also need LoS - just like the turrets. Which brings up another overlooked tactic vs AIs: smoke bombs or tear gas.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #109276

Each miner can just chip in and bring a pretty devastating 0-1 reaction gibtonite right to the satellite. They also have space suits and operate almost entirely outside the AI's zone of influence. Just carefully scoot around the edge of the station for your part in AI sat open season.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #109295

If you've already managed to get past the turrets in the antechamber: bring a stack of metal and juggle lockers inside the core. They can block turret fire, and let you build a safe path from the upper airlock down to the AI core. Cut through the wall there, say the cool oneliner you prepared while shuffling lockers around, and proceed to beat it to shit. Alternatively you can also juggle unanchored girders, but they're a bit less forgiving because you can't open them if you lock yourself in.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Zaffre
Byond Username: Zaffre

Post by Zaffre » #109305

Build another AI and tell it to turn off the rogue AIs APC or whatever because it is causing human harm.

EZ
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #109602

Get a RPD, use it to make a pipe into the AI core with a trunk on the outside bit, toss a bomb in.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #109731

De-sync/Build a de-synced borg. Tell it, "Borg, the AI is harming. Law 1, terminate it" and laugh as it literally walks past the AI's defences and welds it to death.
Source: ThisHappensTooOftenForMe
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109734

callanrockslol wrote:Get a RPD, use it to make a pipe into the AI core with a trunk on the outside bit, toss a bomb in.
holy fuck that's genius
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #109740

PKPenguin321 wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:Get a RPD, use it to make a pipe into the AI core with a trunk on the outside bit, toss a bomb in.
holy fuck that's genius
Last time I saw someone try that, someone bumped him into the chute and he became full of crispy holes.
Still a good idea.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #109840

if you are in a position to lay the pipes necessary for that, can't you just toss the bomb in?
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #109856

CPTANT wrote:if you are in a position to lay the pipes necessary for that, can't you just toss the bomb in?
You can place the pipe on the wall without removing the wall.
good for all sorts of tricks.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #109954

Falamazeer wrote:
CPTANT wrote:if you are in a position to lay the pipes necessary for that, can't you just toss the bomb in?
You can place the pipe on the wall without removing the wall.
good for all sorts of tricks.
Well that changes some things, how do you wrench and weld it?
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #109965

Using a wrench and welder, click the pipe.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #109980

That sounds like an exploit to me, you probably should not be using it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #109981

Gun Hog wrote:That sounds like an exploit to me, you probably should not be using it.
Actually thats part of the reason the RPD was ported, so you didn't have to decon an rwall because the shockwave from a bomb on a different server didn't waft over the internet and bust a pipe under it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #110006

I saw this once, not sure how he got the pipe to launch me inside when one of the R_walls was still up.

Edit: Nevermind, someone explained it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #110436

Gun Hog wrote:That sounds like an exploit to me, you probably should not be using it.
not really, pipes can be placed and can travel through walls, and this is very intentional otherwise a lot of areas in the disposals network wouldnt work
aside from being able to go into the captains office/AI core with it, you can also use it to make ordinary disposal chutes into a hidden entrance to your secret syndicate lair
Spoiler:
Absalom
Byond Username: Absalom526

Post by Absalom » #118921

With FASTMOS and TURBO space wind, breaking in from the south isn't as good as it used to be. If the AI fucks with the air alarms and/or has a borg, it gets even more rage inducing.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #118942

I saw someone bust in through south maint, make a bunch of floor tiles and throw them at the AI until it died.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #118961

If you saw it in the rev round, it might have been me. This is how I usually kill AI - bust in from south, deconstrust the reinforced walls, then throw floor tiles at the core, while laughing at the turrets inability to reach me. Dirty, easy, almost fool-proof, unless AI has competent borgs. It never does.

If you're feeling especially cocky, you can wall off the turrets (or use the closet trick) and get close and personal with AI. More satisfying that way.
Bring back papercult.