Re: other servers in SS13

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #138517

bay is pretty alright
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #138518

I've been liking Paradise lately when /tg/ has too many shitters on it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #138522

I keep wanting to try out Colonial Marines but I really don't want to put that much effort into the game.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #138523

Saegrimr wrote:I keep wanting to try out Colonial Marines but I really don't want to put that much effort into the game.

It's not worth it unless you really really like Aliens. I used to love playing here but there's just not enough content in Aliens Vs. Humans deathmatch where the humans are crippled by rules.

It's fun in short bursts though, unless you get one of those godawful 4 hour rounds.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #138524

Zilenan91 wrote:It's not worth it unless you really really like Aliens. I used to love playing here but there's just not enough content in Aliens Vs. Humans deathmatch where the humans are crippled by rules.

It's fun in short bursts though, unless you get one of those godawful 4 hour rounds.
I do really like the Alien setting, and I heard they recently started adding predators in there as a whitelist or something?
The rules thing isn't a problem. Being designed to lose isn't the worst thing ever as long as its fun along the way. Just seems like a lot more effort than i'm willing to put in to have a similar good time I get on /tg/.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #138525

The predators do have a whitelist, but more often than not it's ignored and admins just use them.

Yeah being designed to lose isn't the problem with it, the problem is that the rules that make it so you're supposed to lose are really really stupid. You are not allowed to shoot or take any kind of hostile action against the eight foot tall, jet black monsters with spear tails, razor claws, and acid spit that you know aren't supposed to be inside the destroyed facility full of blood and dead bodies on first contact. You will be banned if you do so.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #138526

wait so Colonial marines is Ground hog day?
私は完璧
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #138527

I'm not quite sure how it's groundhog day but I'm just gonna go with yeah.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #138528

Remie Richards wrote:wait so Colonial marines is Ground hog day?
I sort of treat tgstation rounds as groundhog day when I play as my own canon.

It's the day Everything Went Wrong and you can't escape it until you make it out alive.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #138529

What even is groundhog day anyways. It's something to do with winter weather right?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #138530

Zilenan91 wrote:What even is groundhog day anyways. It's something to do with winter weather right?
groundhog day is a film where that one guy who was a ghostbuster Bill Murray has to live the same day over and over again.
except only he knows he's living it over.

which has become a name to refer to that as a trope where it's used, your description of having to pretend the aliens are something new and definitely not murderous every round, sounded like an example of it.
Saegrimr wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:wait so Colonial marines is Ground hog day?
I sort of treat tgstation rounds as groundhog day when I play as my own canon.

It's the day Everything Went Wrong and you can't escape it until you make it out alive.
I know some people do, but it's not enforced, it sounds like on CM it IS enforced.
Last edited by Remie Richards on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
私は完璧
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #138531

I guess yeah but even if you were finding them for the first time, razor clawed, acid spitting, spear tailed, jet black monsters would get the fuck shot out of them by anyone with a brain.

Also yeah if you shoot at the aliens on first contact you'll probably get perma'd or banned for like a million years instead.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

NoahGoldFox
Byond Username: NoahGoldFox

Post by NoahGoldFox » #138617

Well the only server i regularly go on is aurora :p which i go on if i want some serious RP.
although on aurora you need to be whitelisted to be a cute lizard ;>;
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #138620

groundhog day is my favorite bill murray movie
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #138640

The only other server I've played is Goon. Its alright, and I like a lot of the job-related traitor items, but it lags (more than usual) now for me (possibly due to the now euro-based primary server). Features like limb-loss and its gas system are really nice but other things are half-baked/neutered (mining/smelting). I really like how pipebombs can be made with different levels of effectiveness using different chems, though I preferred when you could use certain ores as well.

The playerbase is alright and usually relaxed but at the same time the few powergamers that are there are absolute fun-ruiners. If you spot one as an antag its best to take them down immediately regardless of your true target because they'll show up later with all the makeshift gear they can get and a liter of meth in their system to fuck you up with the weapons of the last traitor they killed. Security is often lax and laid back but that's because there are few organized threats against them now that the only team antag mode (aside from Nuke, which is now an obvious frontal assault by default) is their weird, half-completed version of gang.

They had cool space exploration stuff but they kept cutting stuff from that to make more room for telescience levels, which is why I actually prefer the away mission system here. The telescience stuff tends to get some people real pissy if you fuck with the them/teleporter before they can try to solve the SUPER SECRET COMPLICATED PUZZLE OF RETARDED BULLSHIT which requires the full cooperation of nearly a dozen people to complete. They don't have mechs and with less reasons to explore space their pods are only worthwhile in that some are publicly available while space suits are not.

Overall I prefer it here because of the playerbase having a more varied mix of shitters and decent players as opposed to a homogeneous "eh, they're okay I guess". Goon felt more on the no-rp side of things unless someone was running a gimmick that particular round, at least here I've witnessed a degree of light rp. I also like the gamemodes more, and while development may be 'behind' in some areas, it seems to be far more quick to try new/radical ideas than Goon was. In closing, Goonchem is better.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #138647

The "enforced stupidity" rules on CM are

-No knowing what aliens are/their exact powers until someone has witnessed and reported them (you can still shoot them on sight as scary wildlife, you just dont understand their lifecycle or ventcrawling etc)
-No knowing how to do surgery as the squad sniper (this is not a big deal unless its low pop and medbay isnt staffed)

I know those rules sound annoying but they actually work pretty well in practice. No greyshirts shouting out the code stats of the antag while operating medbay is nice.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #138671

I've literally been banned for shooting at Aliens on first contact though.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #138678

Zilenan91 wrote:I've literally been banned for shooting at Aliens on first contact though.
Weird. I always light them up and their rules say nothing about it.

Tsar had to teach one of their admins how to view attack logs though so I get the feeling they're not all exactly on the same page/on top of things at all times.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #138710

I like goon, just hate the admins.
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #138720

I've been around the block on a few servers. I've been on Colonial Marines, Baystation, Goon and another who's name I forget.
Haven't been on any meme servers like vorestation or Hippie
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #138767

ive played hippie now and then since supposedly it's the child of /tg/code and it's cool to see our codebase's offspring
turns out i was wrong and it's not cool at all, the child is a rat-bastard who's somehow more autistic than us and practices ironic edginess so much that it's just edginess. not to mention that any "powergamer" problem we have on /tg/ is a joke compared to them. not to mention they've ignored a lot of our good changes, while also being a testing ground for controversial changes like goofchem before it got ported to our server.
hippie station, /tg/'s bastard child
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #138773

I always found it kinda funny that since hippie often rush merges our changes before we merge them locally that it leads them them inadvertently taking broken/nonfunctional code before other coders comb over it for issues. I know it's happened more than once with my own code.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #138788

People say that people actually RP on Hippie.

People also say that I laugh at people who say that, because that's fucking retarded. A quote from a Hippie regular by the name of Space Goblin, "why would you ever use the common channel if you aren't talking about antags you faggot"

Just gonna let that speak for itself. Also gonna let it speak how a greyshit started bashing my skull in with a fire extinguisher for no reason, I dunk the shit out of him with alcohol bottles, and then I get brigged for 5 minutes for defending myself in which they looted me and threw me out the door completely naked, with the admins saying it was an IC issue. Literally the worst server I could imagine.

They also added nooses I think, so every round there's like 20 dead people who hung themselves or others.

Literally the only redeeming factor about this server is the amount of love assistants get holy shit, you can craft so much makeshift stuff it's actually incredible. I wish we had all of that. You can make shanks with duct tape and glass shards, makeshift armor with duct tape and metal, makeshift shields with duct tape and trays, retractable spears (telebaton + restraints + shank), you can make baseball bats with wood or print steel baseball bats out of the autolathe, and you can also add spikes to said baseball bats by table crafting them with metal rods, and even normal /tg/ stuff like spears too. You can also use duct tape there to tape over peoples mouths so they can't speak, and even cuff them with the same tool. Duct tape is legitimately the most robust thing on Hippie. I also like how flashes stun on Hippie still, but that's probably a tradeoff because you can make a ridiculous amount of makeshift weapons. It'd be great if we could port some of these.

They also have great sound design and a better medical system than we have, where almost everything makes you bleed. It feels really good beating people up. Their code is the best part about them tbh, everything else sucks.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #138790

Theres no other servers as populated as TG I've found.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #138855

I've played a bit on Baystation, but there's a lot of stuff that doesn't carry over from TG (specially their taser mechanics) which really confused me. Though I really enjoy the RP there, feels like I'm talking to a character rather than a player.

I've played on Colonial Marines server as well, also enjoyed that, the way things crumble so fast and shoot on sight does become a thing, the slow whittling away of troops and slowly pulling back the lines to more and more defensive places. Little story:
Spoiler:
I once was thrust into the commander position and ended up loosing 2 squads in the brig and medical and having another squad locked down in a defensive position refusing to move in engineering, even whilst I screamed at them to get back. Felt really atmospheric and I felt really helpless. Eventually the remaining late joiners and command went in for a suicidal go for broke rescue mission, command died, the squad survived and got off the station, GG.
But christ the lag is bad... I forget how good TG code has become in that respect. OK we get the occasional lag fest, but its not a constant inevitable fight that other servers are.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box