Roleplay Levels Discussion

General SS13 Chat
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Roleplay Levels Discussion

Post by Anonmare » #179086

Bottom post of the previous page:

Librarian should have the Detective's camera, since that thing has a 20 picture capacity.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #179088

paprika wrote:Librarian camera shitposting needs to be brought into the 21st century with clickbait articles and shit
Easy fix, when you're looking at a console there will be ads with the librarian's new story, in all styles from popup to side.

HAS SPACE STATION 13 GONE TOO FAR???

50% OF PARTICIPANTS GET IT WRONG!!
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #180121

I never noticed before but the word "roleplay" is only shown once in our ruleset.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #180140

as it should be

roleplay is a useless town bicycle of a meme word and removing it from the old rules was an objective improvement

better off telling players to consider sportsmanship and occasionally being chill and playing along with gimmicks large or small that other players come up with
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #180146

imblyings wrote:sportsmanship
This, a thousand times.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #180173

imblyings wrote:as it should be

roleplay is a useless town bicycle of a meme word and removing it from the old rules was an objective improvement

better off telling players to consider sportsmanship and occasionally being chill and playing along with gimmicks large or small that other players come up with
ColonicAcid wrote:why should I stay in a place that not only does not accommodate for me with admins (and headmins) that not only do nothing to attempt to encourage roleplay but actively seek to damper it.

Exactly what I was talking about.

"Why should we roleplay?" Because perhaps it's a roleplaying game??? It's not a meme word, it's a word that does have meaning, I don't really care what you think anymore considering your opinion is objectively utter fucking garbage.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #180190

reminder this is a real post
Zilenan91 wrote: tl;dr RP is the rot of the game due to how it stagnates the round and playerbase, and the only reason people did it was because there was nothing else in the game that was even remotely enjoyable.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #180191

Roleplay not being in the rules is fine but if you deny there's roleplaying in this game you probably don't play it enough or you're too stupid to understand what roleplay is

The problem with roleplay in ss13 is that it completely crumbles under pressure of antags and every player turns into a psychotic ninja trying to survive/validhunt rather than giving a shit about their roleplay which is fine but it's a problem with the game not the players
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #180324

"the acting out or performance of a particular role, either consciously (as a technique in psychotherapy or training) or unconsciously, in accordance with the perceived expectations of society as regards a person's behaviour in a particular context."

every year I post about roleplay, I get proven completely right

it's not about roleplay

Roleplay is acting your role in a given context, here, there is no context. Engineering silently dividing tasks while working on an autism project is roleplay, autists silently working on a project fits within the context we have. So is a bunch of medbay sluts acting out a hostage situation in the bar while the mime emotes in the background, it fits within the context. Nearly anything in the game can be roleplay. I can silently explore lavaland by myself and never interact with another player, except when I get on the shuttle with fat loot and I will still have roleplayed.

"Sportsmanship is an aspiration or ethos that a sport or activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors."

What I only mentioned maybe a year or two back was the concept of sportsmanship, the result of wasting my time deciphering the convoluted and dumb posts of many who complained about a lack of roleplay. Players would complain about security killing antags doing a gimmick, about how conversations seemed less common, whatever fucking random complaint they decided to shelve under the word 'roleplay'. The common theme was players ruining the fun of or not engaging in a collaborate process to achieve fun. We ultimately don't play the game to play it alone. SS13 singleplayer is easy to set up. We do it because there exists the chance of social interaction with others. Even if someone plays the game to set up a supermatter engine all by themselves, it's a different experience doing it on a server where others try to do it or on a server with background radio chatter.

What people want is more interesting, more positive, more respectful social interactions. This falls under the umbrella of sportsmanship. It takes an acknowledgement of the fact that behind the spessmen is another human just like you investing time into the game for fun. The reality here is that there are many high returns of fun and satisfaction possible in the game only if players would make a mutual attempt at it, thus the desire for better social interaction. It is possible to unlock these interactions and fun. It requires constant awareness of other players and it requires sometimes, for a player to let their guard down first. Sometimes all it takes is an acknowledgement of the other player through a short social interaction. Saying 'thanks!' to the chef when they make a bunch of food that looks like it took effort, for example. Sometimes it's doing things together instead of running out on your own. Two miners did this a while ago, while they were spewing all sorts of "fuck you"s and "fuck you you retard"s at each other, this sort of play animosity was the result of two players recognizing an opportunity for some novel and unique fun that required cooperation and an acknowledgement of each other.

All of this has nothing to do with roleplay unless you set yourself a role that makes it more likely for you to have these positive social interactions but even then, it's still about that meta-awareness that everyone just wants to have a good time and that things will probably be better if everyone works towards it because otherwise, you wouldn't be choosing that role to play.

anyway my point is this is the fourth or fifth time I've had to explain roleplay and people are still fucking retarded about it, things will never change because these retards exist, and I will be roped yet again into wasting time on a post on a game I shouldn't have wasted time on
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #180325

Honestly you cannot try to achieve this at an admin/rules level, it needs to be at a code level with new features

The community is all grown up now (IE infested with powergaming shitheels that only want to '''''win''''')
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #180375

paprika wrote:Honestly you cannot try to achieve this at an admin/rules level, it needs to be at a code level with new features

The community is all grown up now (IE infested with powergaming shitheels that only want to '''''win''''')
You can't do anything with code, all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #180376

Guess.

Anyway one of the problems I have with ausops' posts is that I'm not sure what the hell he's suggesting, in this one or the ones he made in the 'round length' thread

It just seems like tangents which I'm very familiar with but at least I try to suggest a wacky plan instead of simply ranting about whatever knowledge I've accrued after spending too much time on this game

So what shall we do? Nothing?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #180390

callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #180490

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
fucking lol
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #185728

The problem with RP on Basil, atleast from what I've seen, is if you try to do it you MAY actually get some interesting RP, but if you don't get that, you'll get shot by a gas masked assistant as you're trying to type. (If it wasn't obvious that's hyperbole, but I think I got my point across)
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #187480

I'm sorry Ausops, but I completely disagree with you.
There is context: We have backstory, for those that care to read it, and those that don't even know the basics (that they're working for a mega corp called NT, at a research station, filling a role in their particular department). People invent their character and mostly play to a said headcanon. Even a captain called Hitler mostly plays to their godawful unimaginative character role.
Then there is departmental roles. Whether they play what is considered real life stereotypes of a role is to be debated, but people very definitely fill the role of their department. Be it a HoP dealing with shitty ID requests, a doctor being overwhelmed by the dead or dying, a bartender being one of the few roles that actually talks a lot, a cook pumping out food thats never enough to keep up with demand, security chasing the villains but getting the innocent. Even the assistants B&E has become a role we're used to seeing.

They are all roles that we know and except. So when we select that role, we fall into it, we play with it, WE ROLE PLAY.

Now those that don't, the doctors who fuck off into space, the miner who runs RnD to get better tech, the HoP who acts as a third member of security, THATS when it gets frustrating. And its not just because they're not doing what's expected, but because they might have well been any role on board.
The game relies on this to have any kind of semblance of structure to which people can play with.

Now meaningful interaction through text is something else. Of course we'd all like more, sometimes even circumstance permit it, but its not always possible, all you can do is push yourself into situations that will work with it better. Being a nuke op that doesn't just go in guns blazing and requests a duel for the disc, being a traitor that holds hostages, being a doctor that slowly looses their mind as the bodies pile up. All these are possible through your own, whether people interact with the situations is up to them. But ultimately when they do, they will be the "stories of awesome" that they remember the most.
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: actually getting the right name
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #187482

Why are you referring to me I never posted in this thread
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #187483

Seems all this discussion of roleplay is making some people got a bit mad.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #187485

Shaps wrote:Why are you referring to me I never posted in this thread
I think they meant Ausops. I hope they meant Ausops because majority of the "TOO COOL 4 ROLEPLAY XD" is coming from him.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #187486

Roleplay doesn't exist
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #187522

Bay is med-high. It is essentially "SS13, but with RP", with some whacky things, although it's a different kind of whacky. At present, they seem busy playing around with their bird race, I guess? Sometimes it's definitely not something I'd refer to as heavy roleplay.

There's also Polaris, that's actually more rigorous than Bay, while Bay seems to have loosened up its policies.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #187539

ColonicAcid wrote:
Shaps wrote:Why are you referring to me I never posted in this thread
I think they meant Ausops. I hope they meant Ausops because majority of the "TOO COOL 4 ROLEPLAY XD" is coming from him.
-_-'

I meant Ausops... will edit mah post
Zilenan91 wrote:Roleplay doesn't exist
Does in my bedroom at any rate ;P
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #187758

Please don't be more sexual than I am, thank you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: