Why are we still using Asimov?

General SS13 Chat
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Why are we still using Asimov?

Post by Lovecraft » #81394

Adopting a lawset that gives Silicons a backbone would improve the roles 1000 times over.

Speaking as someone who's logged a lot of hours on other servers where Asimov isn't the bread and butter, trying to play AI on /tg/ just becomes unbearable. You don't have time to breath when the server's busy, and anytime you're not on time fufilling a request the common channel chitters "rogue"

Can we please move on from Asimov?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Re: Why are we still using Asimov?

Post by ThatSlyFox » #81395

For some reason people want to keep asimov. IMO all the lawsets are pretty bad since none of them have been discussed in great detail besides asimov.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #81396

If you can come up with something that is recognizable better and still keeps the AI from being security/commands pet then feel free.

Just don't expect it to be easy at all.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #81397

oranges wrote:If you can come up with something that is recognizable better and still keeps the AI from being security/commands pet then feel free.

Just don't expect it to be easy at all.
They're already security/commands pet lets be honest. As long as sec throws people into perma instead of executing the AI pretty much just antag hunts as is
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #81408

I think we may still be using Asimov because it's flawed.

Would Robocop work better as a standard lawset? Paladin? Or should we cook up a new, three-law inherently flawed set?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #81411

What do you suggest as a replacement? Asimov is interesting - It is flawed, but interesting. It is both a blessing and a curse for antagonists, being both their advocate and pursuer if they choose to harm humans yet other humans attempt to harm them.

We already see a LOT of Asimov AIs who like to pretend they are Robocrap or some other shit. I don't think giving them that sort of lawset would be good at all.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #81412

Anything that makes the silicons free from law 2, honestly.
Bay has a great set of laws, though they obviously wouldn't work here.
I think a full time switch to Paladin would work, at least as a short experiment.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Scones

Post by Scones » #81415

Lovecraft wrote:Anything that makes the silicons free from law 2, honestly.
Bay has a great set of laws, though they obviously wouldn't work here.
I think a full time switch to Paladin would work, at least as a short experiment.
Please god no to roundstart Paladin. It might be a good idea somewhere more RP-heavy, but honestly, think of the implications of roundstart PALADIN.

Operatives? Fucked
Cult? DOUBLE FUCKED
Rev? OH MY GOD NIGGA THE REVHEADS ALL GETTIN SMASHED AND HARMBATONED

Law 2 is sort of shit though, I've played my share of silicon and I'd prefer if we just swapped laws 2 and 3 around
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #81419

Basically, what scones has said.

Asimov is designed to put some balance on silicons. Preventing them from being fully on command/security's side, but allowing them to be helpful to command and the crew.

Any lawset is gonna get abused just as much as asimov was. Any lawset is gonna require just as much policy writing that asimov has. We already understand asimov's flows as a lawset, we already have policy on that. Why enter a new lawset, with new loopholes, and new way for shitters to read between the lines, and new issues, when we have one that mostly works?
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #81420

>Law 2 kill yourself
>Law 1 I have to be alive to help humans

It's that easy.

Also lord no Paladin is not even a lawset that people even follow it's so badly written.

Also I play silicon almost every round, it'd be terrible if they werent subservient to humans and could just murder all the antags/rule the station.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #81421

The AI intrinsically has so much power that you need a restrictive lawset to keep it from becoming the single dominating factor in every round. I say this as someone with AI on high priority. Judging by how rarely I get the role, there are plenty of other players who don't mind it that much either.

That said, some variety would be nice. The problem is that any lawsets in the rotation would also need to remain neutral-ish, and how much variety can be added while staying within that constraint?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #81426

what if AI's start purged but had to follow the exact same rules of escalation and rule 1 as any other human player, so no plasma flooding, no borg holocausts, no borgs killing people with comms off for slight insults
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Scones

Post by Scones » #81427

imblyings wrote:what if AI's start purged but had to follow the exact same rules of escalation and rule 1 as any other human player, so no plasma flooding, no borg holocausts, no borgs killing people with comms off for slight insults
AI has way too much power to be unrestrained from roundstart. Purge is in the 'dangerous modules' section for a reason.
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #81429

Great discussion everyone, thanks for gabbin'
Spoiler: