Slig's RnD List

General SS13 Chat
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Slig's RnD List

Post by Slignerd » #267045

After writing it on paper in-game too many times to count, I finally decided to put up my RnD list on the forums. Updated it on the go, and while it's probably identical to existing guides, I thought it could still serve as a decent reference.
Stage 1 - Collecting

micro-manipulator
air analyzer

capacitor
high-power cell

welding tool
flamethrower

Stage 2 - Printing

mining drill
mass-spectrometer

nano manipulator
super-power cell

health scanner HUD
security HUD
holo sign projector

advanced release grenade
advanced mass-spectrometer

welding shield // supers and picos available

tracking beacon
GPS device // bluespace RPED available

Stage 3 - Upgrading and Circuits

power turbine (circuit) // portable chem disp. available
durand weapons and targeting (circuit)
teleporter console (circuit)
quantum pod (circuit)

Stage 4 - Advanced

uranium
diamond
bluespace crystal x2

heart
brain

piercing syringe
purge AI module
phazon torso
charged slime core

lazarus injector
chain of command/combat shotguns

glowberries, glowshrooms, glowcaps
death nettlles
abrosia gaia
Last edited by Slignerd on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Re: Slig's RnD List

Post by AnonymousNow » #267301

I've used Duke's for a long time, but it doesn't always get updated. We appreciate peoples' contributions.

Can you put down where to source these items, for convenience's sake? Most of us know where to go to find these things, but not everyone.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #267308

I think a sec HUD is better than a syringe gun, since it costs less and it's in the same panel as the health HUD for easy clicking.

Also this list is pretty much the same as mine
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #267355

XDTM wrote:I think a sec HUD is better than a syringe gun, since it costs less and it's in the same panel as the health HUD for easy clicking.

Also this list is pretty much the same as mine
I'll check if it works the same in-game and update it if it does.

And, yeah, it's pretty much the same. While I think I figured most of it on my own, I definitely have to credit you for mass-spectrometers, adv. spectrometers, adv grenades and holo sign projectors - I'm really not sure if I'd have guessed those.
AnonymousNow wrote:Can you put down where to source these items, for convenience's sake? Most of us know where to go to find these things, but not everyone.
I think most of it is pretty self-explanatory given the names of the stages. I can elaborate on some specifics though.
  • Flamethrower can be made by unsecuring welding tool with a screwdriver and attaching a metal rod to it.
  • Uranium, diamond and bluespace crystals come from mining.
  • Heart and brain can come from dead crewmembers or monkeys.
  • Piercing syringe, purge AI module, Phazon torso, and charged slime core can all be made in Research - if you have diamonds, you can print piercing syringe at the protolathe, and purge AI module at the circuit imprinter. Phazon torso can be printed by an exosuit fabricator and charged slime core can be obtained by injecting plasma into a yellow slime core.
  • Lazarus injector and jetpack upgrade can both be purchased by miners for 3000 points total. DNA syringe requires Genetics to discover most of the powers and machine prototype can be ordered from Cargo.
  • Chain of command spawns in the Captain's office and combat shotguns can be ordered from Cargo.
  • Glowberries, glowshrooms, glowcaps, death nettlles, abrosia gaia can all be grown by Botany.
I think that covers it.
Last edited by Slignerd on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #267365

Oh yeah, the jetpack upgrade can be replaced by a piercing syringe if you have diamonds, which are usually easier to get than the jetpack.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #267440

Duke reminding me once again that I may only feasibly seek to be the server's second best at RnD.

Seriously though, thanks, I didn't know know that. I'll see if I can add it somewhere.
Last edited by Slignerd on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #267596

Real RnD's don't use a list, they chaos mode it
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #267604

oranges wrote:Real RnD's don't use a list, they chaos mode it
I memorize .DM files for designs.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #267628

kevinz000 wrote:
oranges wrote:Real RnD's don't use a list, they chaos mode it
I memorize .DM files for designs.
Settle down Rainman.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #267649

Your guide specializes in getting to important stuff ASAP, my guide specializes in progressing with 100% reliability and as little mats required as possible.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19qF ... f6ITE/edit

Edit: On further review my guide takes fewer steps and requires leaving science for only plants and materials at the dead end of research. What's your final research levels? Lets compare R&D E-peens
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #267670

I don't personally like relying on stuff like drone shells - the more stuff outside RnD lab you need, the more trouble it might cause for you if circumstances change. For example, drone shell as an RnD step does not work so well on MetaStation.

Secondly, if I can skip getting the regular RPED before the bluespace version at all, I definitely prefer to do so. Once the old RPED becomes obsolete, it can't exactly be recycled in any way, making it actually a bit of a nuisance. That's why miners who drop the silver in the ORM before departing are the best miners I can hope for - since that allows me to get a bluespace RPED and autocloner up before they even return from Lavaland.

Similarly, I find there's really no point in upgrading or printing any circuits before you get to pico manipulators and super matter bins, which you get at Mat 5. That way I can play it safe with circuit printing - before I need to print anything at all, all circuits already only use 5 sulphuric acid, leaving me a lot of breathing room with acid usage - 9 circuits before I even need a chem dispenser at all. Also, given the RPED "one tier up" behavior when upgrading parts, upgrading before supers and picos just adds unnecessary Tier 2 parts to rotation.

Lastly, using two flamethrowers instead of one, or two high power cells instead of one also seem a bit wasteful for "as little mats required as possible" - since the role of the first flamethrower or the first power cell can just as easily be fulfilled by a welder and a capacitor respectively, both of which are at an arm's reach in the lab.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #267783

The guide is meant to be extremely stringent on /rare/ materials, not regular mats like metal and glass which can be found in abundance all over the station. Further, a drone fab is available on every map, with Meta being the exception because for SOME FUCKING REASON IT'S IN A SECURE AREA THAT NOBODY EVER GOES IN RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #267849

I mean, that's not 100% reliability then.

Not sure about materials either. The list in the OP doesn't use anything but metal, glass and acid until Stage 4, even in Stage 3 only Power Turbine Board is crucial - and by that time, its costs only 125 glass and 5 acid.

We can compare costs on metal and glass, but I always found these to be a non-issue - and by the time you try to get Data 6, Engi 6 or Plasma 6 (purge AI and piercing syringe with 300-400 units of diamonds amd phazon torso with several sheets of plasma), you tend to be drowning in materials already.

Nice catch on exosuit medical beamgun though - what are the levels needed to print it?
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #267976

Oh right, mech beamguns and teslaguns give some extremely high levels now i think
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #269121

What do you get from the charged slime core and above?
I play Boris Pepper.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #269220

Piercing Syringe has engi 5, getting you to 6
Purge has data 5, getting you to 6.
Phazon torso has plasma 5, getting you to 6.
Charged has power 5, getting you to 6.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #269594

You pretty much always need a Lazarus and charged slime core for all the highest stock parts then?
Unless I'm mistaken.
I play Boris Pepper.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #269599

You do, but on the other hand they're the least useful parts of the bunch. Scanners in particular don't add anything to cloners from T3 to T4, they're pointless in the DA, and at most can give 5% max potency in the plant DNA manipulator.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #269600

I thought T4 scanners added beneficial mutations?
I play Boris Pepper.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #269602

That's from T3 onwards, i'm pretty sure.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka