A Sheet of Metal.

General SS13 Chat
Zsword

A Sheet of Metal.

Post by Zsword » #22391

In a strike of immense boredom during a robotics round where, not much was going on in robotics. (We even had our own private autolathe and protolathe.) But no resources from mining to do anything with, I was sitting down and I thought about the actual, dimensions, of the 'sheet of metal'. Well, to figure this out, I ran off of the one definitive value for the size of metal I could find, the fact that 1 sheet into any production interface (Auto/Protolathes, Robotic Fabricator) is worth '2000 cm^3' Or, Two thousand Cubic Centimeters.

From there it was only a matter of figuring out what 3 factors I should use to come up with that number, and seeing as the game defines metal as 'sheets' and the graphic is fairly rectangular, I plausibly set these values to be: 40cm wide, 50cm tall, and 1cm deep. Now, to put things in perspective, assuming your an american who doesn't translate metric well, if you're about.... 5'10", then that's a slab of metal that, if you stood with your feet shoulder length apart, you could set the corners of it on your toes, and lean the top of it against your knee, and it's about half an inch thick.

After thinking about it, I realized that seemed a little small, and not necessarily something you might call a 'sheet', but rather a slap, or a plate. A sheet would be thinner and generally broader. by cutting the depth to one forth, you're able to double the other two dimensions, 1m (100cm) tall, 80cm wide, and 2.5mm (1/4cm), which is something that you could, lean against about your belly, about as wide as the distance between your elbows when outstretched, and about as thick as the lead of a wooden pencil. (or if you took five .5 mechanical pencil leads and set them side by side.) These dimensions strike me as something far more appropriate to a 'sheet and still seems reasonable to the scalings of the game.

That being said, I'm not sure how so little mass can be used to make thick walls that are space proof, and easily twice as wide as your average person in all dimensions. Maybe the 2000 cm^3 is merely how much material the 3d printers can use effectively and the rest is merely waste? I have no idea. Anyway, enough of me bored-mathing. I'll see you all later to see what you all think about this.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: A Sheet of Metal.

Post by cedarbridge » #22399

Zsword wrote:In a strike of immense boredom during a robotics round where, not much was going on in robotics. (We even had our own private autolathe and protolathe.) But no resources from mining to do anything with, I was sitting down and I thought about the actual, dimensions, of the 'sheet of metal'. Well, to figure this out, I ran off of the one definitive value for the size of metal I could find, the fact that 1 sheet into any production interface (Auto/Protolathes, Robotic Fabricator) is worth '2000 cm^3' Or, Two thousand Cubic Centimeters.

From there it was only a matter of figuring out what 3 factors I should use to come up with that number, and seeing as the game defines metal as 'sheets' and the graphic is fairly rectangular, I plausibly set these values to be: 40cm wide, 50cm tall, and 1cm deep. Now, to put things in perspective, assuming your an american who doesn't translate metric well, if you're about.... 5'10", then that's a slab of metal that, if you stood with your feet shoulder length apart, you could set the corners of it on your toes, and lean the top of it against your knee, and it's about half an inch thick.

After thinking about it, I realized that seemed a little small, and not necessarily something you might call a 'sheet', but rather a slap, or a plate. A sheet would be thinner and generally broader. by cutting the depth to one forth, you're able to double the other two dimensions, 1m (100cm) tall, 80cm wide, and 2.5mm (1/4cm), which is something that you could, lean against about your belly, about as wide as the distance between your elbows when outstretched, and about as thick as the lead of a wooden pencil. (or if you took five .5 mechanical pencil leads and set them side by side.) These dimensions strike me as something far more appropriate to a 'sheet and still seems reasonable to the scalings of the game.

That being said, I'm not sure how so little mass can be used to make thick walls that are space proof, and easily twice as wide as your average person in all dimensions. Maybe the 2000 cm^3 is merely how much material the 3d printers can use effectively and the rest is merely waste? I have no idea. Anyway, enough of me bored-mathing. I'll see you all later to see what you all think about this.
You realize it takes more than 1 sheet to make a wall right?
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #22401

Holy sheet, dat topic.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
iteq

Post by iteq » #22403

iit: autism

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Spoiler:
Aaron Laborde says, "YOU'RE TYPING LIKE YOU HAVE A BRISTH ACCENT BUT YOURE JUST A SAD VIRGIN"

OOC: TheBibleMelts: the only time i was repulsed by erp was when i saw lindsay donk and dawgas roleplaying out a piss-childplay fantasy

-- Administrator private message --
Admin PM from-Antonkr: You are a nigger lover.
Click on the administrator's name to reply.

OOC: Paprka: boy does talking shit get me horny
OOC: Sawrge: i am getting admin vote and iteq is getting player vote
(F) DEAD: Leo Bonhart says, "luck the only known tg player to trigger someones ptsd and cause a mental breakdown"
Word count of substantiative content of ban appeal: 87
Word count of shitpost copypasta: 195
OOC: Dannno: i fucking hate you stupid piece of shit iteq you fucking idiot one day im going to fucking ban you and you'll be gone for good faggot fuck you
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #22405

You thought about this way too hard.
:^)
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #22418

cedarbridge wrote: You realize it takes more than 1 sheet to make a wall right?
It takes two sheets. The girders themselves take two as well, but obviously aren't doing the whole keeping it airtight thing.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #22464

Reminder: you can stack 50 of these at a time and they still fit together and can be carried in one hand. Your backpack can handle 7 such stacks. Thus it can fit 350 sheets of metal of that size. Plus 100 more in your hands.
Last edited by MisterPerson on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #22466

or a sheet of glass of similar thickness, and it isn't totally fragile.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #22488

Zsword wrote:or a sheet of glass of similar thickness, and it isn't totally fragile.
Fragile? I can throw them across the room and a sheet of glass doesn't even flinch.
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #22496

autism: the thread: part 5
Crushtoe
Byond Username: Crushtoe

Post by Crushtoe » #22501

Kraso wrote:autism: the thread: part 5
This isn't autism, if it were a disorder, it would be ADD.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #22522

Do metal and glass still provide different amounts of materials to protolathes compared to uranium, silver, gold, plasma, and diamond or was that finally fixed? Because that's even more information to consider.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #22545

a shit of metal 3 inches thick.
I play Boris Pepper.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #22546

Bluespace wrote:a shit of metal 3 inches thick.
That sounds painful.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #22553

9 inches.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
ThoughtSynapsis

Post by ThoughtSynapsis » #22578

There is something about these threads that I sincerely enjoy. Seeing people put this much thought into things like this.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #22645

[space magic intensifies]
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #22662

Miauw wrote:[space magic intensifies]
Damn you beat me.

But yeah, none of the math makes any sense, I tried to do some math on how big a Ripley would be and the other mechs.

It's really just Autism and gameplay segregation.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #22786

Why are metal sheets called "metal"? They're made of pure iron ore in the game. Why not Iron Sheets?

Iron's density is 7870 kg/m^3, so one sheet of iron, or 2000 cm^3 weights:
0.002 m^3 * 7870 kg/m^3 = 15,74 kg or 34.70 lbs !

50 sheets weight:
787 kg or 1735 lbs !!

Full backpack of metal sheets + both hands used (450 sheets) weight:
7083 kg or 15615 lbs !!!

Even if the same size sheets were made of aluminium, the lightest metal used for construction, 50 sheets of it would still weight 270 kg or 595 lbs.

Spoiler:
IRL you can only carry 40 kg or 89 lbs before you start whining like a little girl.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #22801

9 inches
crack is whack but smacks got your back
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #22818

9 inch nails (the band)

9 inch nails (on finger)