Moving and clicking on people is nigh impossible.

General SS13 Chat
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Moving and clicking on people is nigh impossible.

Post by Bluespace » #334296

Wat do?
I'm pretty fucking useless at taking anyone down now because all my clicks seem to be delayed.
A couple years ago I could kill a large sum of people with a taser and an esword fairly consistently, but now I struggle to even stunpaper someone.
>walk close to someone
>clicking wildly on their sprite
>a second later they just walk away

>click someone as i'm moving from tile to tile
>the click doesn't go through

This is really impacting how I play, i'm hardly able to stun anyone in melee range. Not only that, but moving and trying to shoot a taser gives me about a 25% chance to actually fire.
I can deal with the awful lag if everyone else is getting it, but watching security be able to consistently down people while my hands are disabled just sucks ass.
Is there anything I can do? I have my FPS set to 60, is that fucking with it?
I play Boris Pepper.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Moving and clicking on people is nigh impossible.

Post by Grazyn » #334300

Well first of all, assuming you already have a good connection with a good ping (100 ms will put you on the same playing field with most of the playerbase, also use the ping button, don't trust the number shown in the chat), try to get a mouse with low latency, there are many to choose from but you should look for one with a good grip and that you are comfortable with. A gaming monitor with low input lag (<1ms) will also help, here it depends on how much you're willing to spend but keep in mind that /tg/ is the most competitive ss13 server and you won't see a pro CS:GO player using stuff straight from the discount bin.

If this fails, you can just accept that physical combat is your weakness and try to work around it, use bombs, poison, get other players to do the killing for you through AI/silicon subverting and so on.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334304

Its annoying as a officer. If i chase you around the station for a bit seemingly for no reason, its usually because im trying to get your description loadout, not actively trying to arrest you or anything, but often the suspect continues to run anyway away from me to escape me clicking on them.

If you aren't inspecting everyone, you won't catch out the idiots holding their traitorous items out in public or storing them on their belt slots.

Spoiler:
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #334395

I was having the same frustrations a couple weeks ago, and asked about it on one of the player discords. I will try to explain what was told to me as I recollect, though I cannot vouch for the veracity of what I am about to tell you.

When you're playing with the game set to 60 FPS, what you are seeing is actually not what is happening in the server. Sometimes, when you click on someone, it is during a frame the the game is not registering (?), and so your character doesn't actually take the action that you told them to do. There are frames that are happening on your computer that are not happening on the server. In a sense, 0 FPS is the most "true" representation of what is happening in the game. The way to circumvent this, I guess, is to spam click a lot - though that ends up being an issue with weapons that use ammo, as you might fire more than you're planning to.

I have the same object with throwing objects and such, where I have to spam click in order to ensure that the item I'm trying to throw actually leaves my hand. This, as you can imagine, creates problems with grenades.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #334436

Bluespace wrote:I can deal with the awful lag if everyone else is getting it, but watching security be able to consistently down people while my hands are disabled just sucks ass.
the bluespace cannot play if you disable his hands
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #335046

yeah but at least your magic hands still bitchslap everyone down in one meaty swing while batting away pretenders to the disarm throne with ease
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #335047

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:yeah but at least your magic hands still bitchslap everyone down in one meaty swing while batting away pretenders to the disarm throne with ease
the trick is to have really fat chubby hands
I play Boris Pepper.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #335049

it honestly sounds like you fucked with something because I've never seen this and I have a very high ping
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #335681

I enjoyed playing security officer when running speed was lower. Now it's impossible to be "robust" again with 237 ms average ping, greetings from Europe.

Slow the running speed the fuck down to solve OP's problem and so that other people than from USA can play a Sec job too.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #335715

Hold middle mouse
3x3 area
release middle mouse
depending on the distance you can see whatever, whoever, weird stuff citation needed.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.