[POLL]Space Law Vote: Subordination Laws

General SS13 Chat

Player Vote: Add these crimes to Space Law?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:00 am

Insubordination: Yes
15%
15%
15%
Insubordination: No
2%
2%
2%
Dereliction: Yes
15%
15%
15%
Dereliction: No
2%
2%
2%

Total votes: 267

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

[POLL]Space Law Vote: Subordination Laws

Post by Ikarrus » #27347

UPDATE: By overwhelming majority vote these are now Laws under Space Law
http://tgstation13.org/wiki/Space_Law
Feel free to continue discussion/suggest edits.

Keeping with tradition that Space Law changes are approved by community vote, I'd like to propose adding the following crimes with the intention of legitimizing security enforcement of the chain of command.

Insubordination
Category: Medium Crime (2 min)

Description:
To disobey a lawful direct order from one's superior officer.

Notes:
Charge issued by a head of staff to one of their direct subordinates. The person is usually demoted instead of incarcerated. Security is expected to assist the head in carrying out the demotion.

Dereliction of Duty
Category: Major Crime (5 min)

Description:
To willfully abandon an obligation that is critical to the station's continued operation.

Notes:
A demotion is often included in the sentence. Emphasis on the word critical: An officer taking a break is not dereliction in of itself. An officer taking a break knowing that operatives are shooting up the Captain is. Engineers who do not secure a power source at the start of the shift and heads of staff who abandon the station can also be charged.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ikarrus

Re: Space Law Vote: Subordination Laws

Post by Ikarrus » #27359

If you guys want to make other changes to Space Law, please open up another thread for it. We can't add to polls without resetting it, and we should try to stay on-topic.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #27361

Ikarrus wrote: anyone who willfully allows an entity to endanger the station through inaction.
B-b-but not just anyone is sec. It's not their job, much less their duty, to stop those who endanger the station. We already have a ton of problems with non sec playing greycurity or antaghunters. I've seen people get brigged for at least 10 minutes and the rebrigged by these nonofficial 'officers'. Ahelping this will just be dismissed as 'lel IC ish-shoe knot mai problum xDD' and this clause will only encourage people to be vigilantes because they'll get brigged for not doing so. I don't think that'll be fun for anyone.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27363

The intention is to legitimize the arrest of people who stay silent when they see someone committing a serious crime like sabotage or murdering the captain. Warning others should not count as willfully ignoring something. It can be clarified or the line could be removed entirely if that works better.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #27371

I think people should get a warning first. I forgot to sound off over the sec radio the other day (colours had stuffed up in chat and I did not know) and they pretty much said they were going to demote me and why so then I did what they wanted and they didn't, totally reasonable exchange even if they were a bit miffed.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #27390

Punishing insubordination is A-Okay. Heads need to be able to exercise their authority more.

But dereliction is kind of iffy. Considering a lot of jobs involve only doing one important task and then fucking off to wherever, it's kind of hard to define dereliction of duty when you aren't really expected to do anything past help setting up the department you belong to. Shitler heads may even go as far as charging dereliction on the tiniest excuses, like a subordinate is relaxing in the bar or something. The only jobs I can think of where this charge would actually hold some weight is in engineering, or ironically, head positions.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27394

Emphasis on the word critical. The law should only apply when, through the person's willful inaction, the station's continued operation is endangered. An officer taking a break is not dereliction in of itself. An officer taking a break while operatives are shooting up the Captain is.

Yes, it is primarily targeted to engineers and heads. But it was a few other applications as well. I've rewritten the notes for Dereliction for clarity.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #27403

We're all tired of engineers who fuck off at the start of the round and dont set up the engine, leaving the station literally in the dark. I'm all for dereliction of duty going in. This should have been done a long time ago.
/vg/station Head Admin
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #27404

These kind of charges are often persecuted by Sec at times. Actually having a law to define tibia fantastic!
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #27407

Hopefully it will not be abused. Like if I know R&D better than RD does, he still insists on his super good way that he read in some shitty guide and I end up in jail for it.

So I hope that admins will look into cases like this. Otherwise it's very much needed.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #27421

Shouldn't this be in the policy discussion subforum?
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #27424

Jesus christ yes. Anytime i'm in atmos and I see the other tech(s) grab the axe/hardsuit and haul ass out of the room, I instantly PDA the HoS or any active security members to set him to arrest and detain.

At least pretend like you have a job, dammit.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #27428

I'm ok with this but nobody will enforce those changes if we don't do something to make security more attractive to play.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #27444

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Hopefully it will not be abused. Like if I know R&D better than RD does, he still insists on his super good way that he read in some shitty guide and I end up in jail for it.

So I hope that admins will look into cases like this. Otherwise it's very much needed.
Odds are good you'll only end up brigged for it if you choose to make it get to that point. For example, if you choose to cause a scene and exercise control or authority over the RnD office that you don't have (because its vested in the RD and not you) then yes, you get briged/demoted. This is already the case as the Head of Staff is the supreme authority short of the captain within their domain. If you are displeased with that, you're free to seek other employment. I've had subordinates go so far as to wall off RnD just to keep the Rd out because THEY think they have the best way to do the job. Egos aside, the chain of command doesn't care how good you think your method is or what you think you know better than somebody else. That's the whole point.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #27454

tbh I consider an incompetent Head to be guilty of dereliction
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #27561

Ricotez wrote:tbh I consider an incompetent Head to be guilty of dereliction
In their own autistic way, a lot of players consider others to be "incompetent" to a degree. Usually when they disagree about something. If we're even taking competence into account or anything to that degree, It would have to be something to the point of gross negligence to the point of station or departmental endangerment. "I don't like the R&D route the RD uses" is hardly dereliction.
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #27569

now can we order assistants to battle to the death and if they refuse we can arrest them?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27571

Unfortunately, no, because that would not be a lawful order.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #27579

But it'd be an awesome order.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #27587

implying assistants will turn down any opportunity to battle people
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #27595

I forget where I read this, but can we get some more weight behind the idea of increasing all crime sentences to the point where being brigged matters?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #27620

Kuraudo wrote:I'm ok with this but nobody will enforce those changes if we don't do something to make security more attractive to play.

Security is usually filled or has 5 people in it, and they still do surprisingly well weeding out the shitlers and antags of the 40-60+ other group of people. I don't think we need a security change as of now.

As for the space law changes, go at it.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #27645

cedarbridge wrote:
Ricotez wrote:tbh I consider an incompetent Head to be guilty of dereliction
In their own autistic way, a lot of players consider others to be "incompetent" to a degree. Usually when they disagree about something. If we're even taking competence into account or anything to that degree, It would have to be something to the point of gross negligence to the point of station or departmental endangerment. "I don't like the R&D route the RD uses" is hardly dereliction.
I'm talking about genuine incompetence, the kind you see when someone who has never played a job in a department suddenly picks Head for that department.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #27720

MedicInDisquise wrote:
Kuraudo wrote:I'm ok with this but nobody will enforce those changes if we don't do something to make security more attractive to play.

Security is usually filled or has 5 people in it, and they still do surprisingly well weeding out the shitlers and antags of the 40-60+ other group of people. I don't think we need a security change as of now.

As for the space law changes, go at it.
If security was "usually filled" we wouldn't have several threads discussing solutions for "nosec" and have rounds where admins are literally bribing players to turn on security. (Janicarts reskinned to EDs was still the best thing)
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27757

By overwhelming majority vote the Subordination Laws are now a part of Space Law.

http://tgstation13.org/wiki/Space_Law
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Malkevin

Re: [POLL]Space Law Vote: Subordination Laws

Post by Malkevin » #33627

Mah Space Law is complete :)