General SS13 Chat
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

What Happened To Movement Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #446681

Serious question.

When I was playing seriously over a year ago, I recall we were going through the movement speed nerfs where everyone was moving at a much slower speed, which was part of an emphasis to 'slow' down the game and make combat different to the traditional 'run and gun' style.

I noticed when I started getting back into tg months ago that I knew instantly that the movement speed felt faster than it was prior to the nerf, with people gliding around at insane speeds.

I'm interested to know if the movement speed changes were reverted, or if coincidental server upgrades which improved performance (and fps and all) resulted in people just simply moving faster in general.

Thanks
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: What Happened To Movement Speed

Post by MrStonedOne » #446711

It was the movement overhall that fixed cases where movement delay would always round up to the next byond tick, as well as cases where having a higher ping would cause key still held down messages to come in slower then your fastest movement speed.

It could also be synced configs changing the configured movement delay. We redid the entire config from scratch and have it synced across all 3 servers now, with the ability to do per-server overrides, so it could be this got reset to the repo defaults and those were different than the server.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #446754

That's close to what I expected.

The concept of slower movement was always controversial but I personally enjoyed it since it, to a degree, changed gunplay and gameplay to be a bit more strategic in thinking. You couldn't zip to a 'help botany' within ten seconds of hearing it and it made things a bit less spastic.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #446807

I just want a movement speed reduction on drag. The ability to stun someone and yakkety sax away while smacking them to death has always been shit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #447560

I do kinda wish movement was slowed down slightly, I feel it'd make combat feel more involved and less floaty.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #447562

I think that due to performance improvements the same speed we had for a while feels faster than how it used to feel.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement