New antagonist policy - repealed

General SS13 Chat
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Re: New antagonist policy

Post by AnonymousNow » #50651

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ikarrus wrote:Wizard was removed until coderbus can give us a config option to disable summon survivors.

Which were always terrible imo.
I like summon rounds, though. It's just that I prefer the mistrust and the arguments and the escalation to gunfire rather than the immediate stone-faced boning.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #50656

The biggest problem I see coming from this new antagonist policy is drawing the line between "murderboners" and regular antagonist activity. Some antagonists use things like bombs, plasma fires, food poisonings, cyborgs, singulo, kudzu, most of chemistry etc. to cause distractions. These same things end up killing dozens of people.

Antagonists are now going to be looking over their shoulder out of fear of doing something that may or may not be acceptable, which will vary between admin to admin. Part of the fun of being an antagonist was that you got to choose how you approached an objective, but even then these were not mandatory to accomplish. This policy shifts the entire heart of the game.
walket

Post by walket » #50657

Sum Ting Wong wrote:The biggest problem I see coming from this new antagonist policy is drawing the line between "murderboners" and regular antagonist activity. Some antagonists use things like bombs, plasma fires, food poisonings, cyborgs, singulo, kudzu, most of chemistry etc. to cause distractions. These same things end up killing dozens of people.

Antagonists are now going to be looking over their shoulder out of fear of doing something that may or may not be acceptable, which will vary between admin to admin. Part of the fun of being an antagonist was that you got to choose how you approached an objective, but even then these were not mandatory to accomplish. This policy shifts the entire heart of the game.
This is exactly how I feel. And the problem with policy varying from admin to admin is personal bias being included in these decisions.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #50658

When they came for the ERPers i said nothing, for i do not ERP
When they came for the murderantags i said nothing, ect ect.
This policy just feels wrong
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #50660

walket wrote:
Sum Ting Wong wrote:The biggest problem I see coming from this new antagonist policy is drawing the line between "murderboners" and regular antagonist activity. Some antagonists use things like bombs, plasma fires, food poisonings, cyborgs, singulo, kudzu, most of chemistry etc. to cause distractions. These same things end up killing dozens of people.

This is exactly how I feel. And the problem with policy varying from admin to admin is personal bias being included in these decisions.
Yes, I'll admit I'm slightly worried by this as well. As it comes from Ikarrus, it seems to be a pretty clear-cut anti-murderhobo rule, an extension of rule 1 - but how do we make sure that the admins don't take it too far and extend the policy (a policy which, I say again, I agree with) too far, to cover creative and interesting antagonism that just so happens to involve/require multiple deaths?

This is why we have AOs, though. Shame I just got so busy last year that I couldn't stick around for it. Still, if they overstep the mark, we can chew their bollocks off.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #50663

AnonymousNow wrote:but how do we make sure that the admins don't take it too far and extend the policy (a policy which, I say again, I agree with) too far, to cover creative and interesting antagonism that just so happens to involve/require multiple deaths?
Because the limit isn't as far down as you think it is. As SoS stated, this is specifically targeted at certain repeat offenders and extreme cases. Defining that line only means people will toe the shit out of it. However i'd rather just ban those people outright than have the rule be too vague.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #50665

How do you even do a ban appeal for breaking this rule?

"I'm sorry I killed people as traitor. I killed one person, and then another person saw me and shouted out my name over radio. Then I murdered them and anyone else who came after me, and I had a locker full of bodies in a moment. I only wanted to kill my target."

That's weak. That's awful. Xbox huge kill counts should be praised and rewarded by all of the deadchat butthurt after you get the shuttle called, not get you banned. What's more, very few (if any) admins have supported this with their in game behavior. I remember NikNakFlak on the old Artyom server going around murderboning the first round the gateway was out, and while there were just as many cries against him as any other antag that dunks numerous other people without them having any say in the matter, he decided since he was wearing a gas mask and lurking n the shadows of the moon base, it was a 'gimmick.'

Maybe me running through the station hulked out and wearing a chicken suit is a gimmick. Maybe me monkeying people and gibbing them is a gimmick. Is it interesting? Mostly for me. The dead people who get stunned and injected/punched/slashed to death aren't nearly as happy with me, no matter how fun their death was.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #50668

Raven776 wrote:How do you even do a ban appeal for breaking this rule?

"I'm sorry I killed people as traitor. I killed one person, and then another person saw me and shouted out my name over radio. Then I murdered them and anyone else who came after me, and I had a locker full of bodies in a moment. I only wanted to kill my target."
You won't get banned for this. You're behaving reasonably in this situation.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #50669

And if this really is just for a few people, then why not deal with them as is? Why enact a sweeping new rule that is certainly gonna make antags have to carefully consider every kill because they are scared of getting banned? This is going to stifle antags in a big way and i think it is a poor change.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #50672

Saegrimr wrote: Because the limit isn't as far down as you think it is. As SoS stated, this is specifically targeted at certain repeat offenders and extreme cases.
It will become an argument of semantics. Refusing to identify where you draw the line out of fear of shitters isn't going to make this any better.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #50673

Wyzack wrote:And if this really is just for a few people, then why not deal with them as is? Why enact a sweeping new rule that is certainly gonna make antags have to carefully consider every kill because they are scared of getting banned? This is going to stifle antags in a big way and i think it is a poor change.
Because you get the same people stirring the pot of "BUT ITS NOT AGAINST DA RUUUULES", so now it is a rule.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #50674

Raven776 wrote:How do you even do a ban appeal for breaking this rule?

That's weak. That's awful. Xbox huge kill counts should be praised and rewarded by all of the deadchat butthurt after you get the shuttle called, not get you banned. What's more, very few (if any) admins have supported this with their in game behavior. I remember NikNakFlak on the old Artyom server going around murderboning the first round the gateway was out, and while there were just as many cries against him as any other antag that dunks numerous other people without them having any say in the matter, he decided since he was wearing a gas mask and lurking n the shadows of the moon base, it was a 'gimmick.'

Maybe me running through the station hulked out and wearing a chicken suit is a gimmick. Maybe me monkeying people and gibbing them is a gimmick. Is it interesting? Mostly for me. The dead people who get stunned and injected/punched/slashed to death aren't nearly as happy with me, no matter how fun their death was.
I don't get it, you listed a scenario that is literally NOT murderboning to complain about a policy that doesn't affect it. Really m80?
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #50680

AdenAbrafo wrote:It should be noted that currently the poll in the feedback forums is 21 in favor and 17 against.
Wyzack wrote:When they came for the ERPers i said nothing, for i do not ERP
Spoiler:
Earthykiller127

Post by Earthykiller127 » #50682

Don't see a problem with Murderboners. They're way easier to spot and makes them stand out in the crowd, generally a bunch of security officers just impose brutality on them on sight.
Jimthebob123
Byond Username: Jimthebob123

Post by Jimthebob123 » #50687

This new policy is to open to interpretation by other admins and in my opinion just plain bad, also i wonder if in the future more rules and changes will be made for a "better rp experience".
Wyzack wrote:
When they came for the ERPers i said nothing, for i do not ERP
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #50696

Only a small number of folks are going to end up being banned for this. SoS is our glorious host, and frankly, he's just trying to return the server to it's RP roots which I really appreciate.
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #50698

QuartzCrystal wrote:SoS is our glorious host, and frankly, he's just trying to return the server to it's RP roots which I really appreciate.
Spoiler:
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #50699

>Return to it's RP roots
I feel like I'm the only person who remembers the days of Chicago Ted.

That aside, I don't agree with this or trust the admins enough to force this policy change fairly.
walket

Post by walket » #50700

Sum Ting Wong wrote:That aside, I don't agree with this or trust the admins enough to force this policy change fairly.
How can they enforce it fairly if they can't even describe it clearly? If a headmin is unclear on the new policy after its created, then there is a problem.
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #50702

Yeah, this server did not have RP roots as much as they make it out to be. I was here for Chicago Ted and Cuban Pete. Who here remembers them?
Spoiler:
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #50704

QuartzCrystal wrote:Only a small number of folks are going to end up being banned for this. SoS is our glorious host, and frankly, he's just trying to return the server to it's RP roots which I really appreciate.
>RP roots
I don't know what I'm talking about general
If you browse on /tg/, you will come across the term murderhobos. There are murderhobos on tgstation. Crying and removing things you don't like, that are natural occurring phenomenon is retarded
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #50706

I've literally told SoS that I want this to be a rule in the past and I was disappointed when he left this up to a vote when he tried to enact this previously.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #50710

If wizard is disabled until a config to turn off survivor is added, then WHAT IS THE POINT of even having summon spells? If SoS hates it so much then just remove the spells, since there is literally no reason to ever use it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #50712

What is even the point of having rule zero if you're just going to enact more rules to cover every situation?

Everything you're talking about here with people who repeatedly do this kind of things can be banned via Rule Zero rather than making all sorts of legislation that is so vague that is may as well be a rewording of rule zero.

Rule Zero
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #50714

lumipharon wrote:If wizard is disabled until a config to turn off survivor is added, then WHAT IS THE POINT of even having summon spells? If SoS hates it so much then just remove the spells, since there is literally no reason to ever use it.
The downstream stations of us are still going to use those events and spells, so it really should be a config option for their sake.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #50718

I want to have a discussion about what exactly we should do with wizards code-wise. I'll make a thread on ideas at some point assuming someone else hasn't by then.

I want to have a roundtable so people can talk with scaredy and as many admins as possible about this rule. I feel we'll get more done in 2 hours with actual discussion than 2 weeks of forum discussion.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
walket

Post by walket » #50722

InThePooPoo wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote:literally
LITERALLY? DID YOU LITERALLY TELL SOS? LITERALLY? lidərəlē? IN A LITERAL OR EXACT MANNER?
FOR REAL? ACTUALLY? PRECISELY? REALLY? TRULY? EXACTLY?
This is pretty funny, but if we devolve into this kind of circlejerking, its just going to give the admins reason to close the thread and force discussion to singulo (where it won't get touched). Its already started with MP's post above you.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #50726

What if we just got rid of the summon spell, since that seems to be the main issue? Personally, I've always thought that using it was a terrible strategic move, since you're basically going "Hey station, let me announce my presence! Oh, and have some free guns to murder me with!". Admittedly, it does encourage non-antags to kill one another, so I suppose you could make a case against it. Maybe remove the survivor role, I always thought that was kind of stupid too. Other than that, I think anything more would be overkill.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #50731

Luke Cox wrote:Maybe remove the survivor role, I always thought that was kind of stupid too.
The "survivor" role is exactly the problem.

It triggers this weird fucking bloodrage in players that they see "I HAVE AN OBJECTIVE OF SOME KIND, TIME TO MURDER EVERYBODY."
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #50733

That's kind of the point for the survivor spell, isn't it?

Cause chaos on the station so it's less for you to deal with.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #50737

Maccus wrote:That's kind of the point for the survivor spell, isn't it?
The wording of it isn't the best. Its in the same vein of a traitor CMO having to steal his own hypospray, and the best course of action to do so is "lets kill the entirety of medbay".

If it was worded something like "Be the last man standing" or "Grab yer gun go innamaint like the crazy motherfucker you are" then this probably wouldn't have been such a big deal to begin with.
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #50738

Then just change the wording of the spell to fit its intention, not the policy of the server to fit your ideals.
Spoiler:
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #50742

Waiting for SoS to weigh in a bit more on this. Obviously this has been discussed in the adminbus but I'd like to hear more about it in detail.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #50743

lumipharon wrote:If wizard is disabled until a config to turn off survivor is added, then WHAT IS THE POINT of even having summon spells? If SoS hates it so much then just remove the spells, since there is literally no reason to ever use it.
Pretty much. Survivor rounds are kill.

Honestly, this policy is fine with normal traitors, but wizard summon rounds are now completely defeated, and that makes me sad. Don't people say Rev is an excuse to let out steam?
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #50753

I don't see the big fuss about this change, it's already been stated it's a change designed to be lenient

However, I've seen a lot of these uncreative murderboner rounds recently by a few people, and it's quite boring to watch

Treating the game like a match of call of duty and trying to rack up as many kills as possible EVERY SINGLE TIME you get an antagonist role is just incredibly lame

Also, survivor doesn't mean kill EVERYONE, but if someone is being a dick, I don't think the admins would mind if you murder them
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #50767

Hibbles wrote:I disagree with this change but hey, it's your server. Let's see how it goes.
Sums up my feelings perfectly.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #50773

Incidentally, "escape alone" objectives are also going away: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6360
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #50777

Edit

edit 2

This just in: I'm illiterate. In other news: changes still terrible. Has SoS gone too far?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #50787

About as simple as it gets. Are you purposely igoring your objectives to just slaughter the crew? That's murderboning. Otherwise you are fine. I reiterate that, as with everything, this rule will be handled on a CASE BY CASE BASIS. Odds are most players will not fall under this rule.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #50793

Odds are most players will have a difficult time explaining to the admins why they felt the need to destroy half the station at any given point.
Laimfu
Byond Username: Laimfu

Post by Laimfu » #50806

The obvious problem that I see with this is that it opens up a whole new gateway to shitminnery. I guarantee soon enough we'll see posts on fnr how someone got antag banned for killing an admin and/or his butbuddy for some bullshit reason like "nonrp murder".
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #50810

Vekter wrote:About as simple as it gets. Are you purposely igoring your objectives to just slaughter the crew? That's murderboning. Otherwise you are fine. I reiterate that, as with everything, this rule will be handled on a CASE BY CASE BASIS. Odds are most players will not fall under this rule.
> Are you purposely igoring your objectives to just slaughter the crew?

Again, so greentexting, the most boring thing to aim for possible, is the litmus test for whether or not you 'go too far'? Don't mind me while I steal magboots 30 seconds after the round starts, then fart around for the next hour or two out of fear of being banned. What is there to progress rounds then? The crew should be calling the shuttle because shit has gone out of control, but if antags feel their hands are tied (which they will be), then we're going to get a lot more of those tedious extended-esque rounds where very little happens for 3 hours then the shuttle is called because boredom.

This new policy is nonsense, and the community has always been, and still is against it. This is the third fucking time that it's been thrown through the works and voted on, and each time the answer has been a resounding 'no'.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #50813

Something else to think about is that this new policy forces antags to be reactionary. Traitors without an explicit objective can't currently slaughter groups of players unless they try to stop you first. It's the self defense clause on a gigantic scale.
bandit

Post by bandit » #50814

Yeah, another problem is that many of our "high-risk" items are not high-risk at all, especially when with current server settings you can just ask the AI to let you into its location.

admin feedback pls
walket

Post by walket » #50816

Amelius wrote:
Vekter wrote:About as simple as it gets. Are you purposely igoring your objectives to just slaughter the crew? That's murderboning. Otherwise you are fine. I reiterate that, as with everything, this rule will be handled on a CASE BY CASE BASIS. Odds are most players will not fall under this rule.
> Are you purposely igoring your objectives to just slaughter the crew?

Again, so greentexting, the most boring thing to aim for possible, is the litmus test for whether or not you 'go too far'? Don't mind me while I steal magboots 30 seconds after the round starts, then fart around for the next hour or two out of fear of being banned. What is there to progress rounds then? The crew should be calling the shuttle because shit has gone out of control, but if antags feel their hands are tied (which they will be), then we're going to get a lot more of those tedious extended-esque rounds where very little happens for 3 hours then the shuttle is called because boredom.

This new policy is nonsense, and the community has always been, and still is against it. This is the third fucking time that it's been thrown through the works and voted on, and each time the answer has been a resounding 'no'.
For what its worth I think he means if someone deliberately ignores their objectives to murderbone. I still vehemently disagree with this policy and what it represents. If someone wants to ignore their objectives as an antag, then that is their RNGGoddess-given right.

Also just singling out specific players is making it seem like it only applies to them when in reality everyone is going to fear it.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #50828

I think what's really sitting wrong with a lot of people is that this is a very extremely harsh solution to a very small problem. Just get rid of the survivor role. Problem solved.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #50831

I think a genuine discussion on the role of the survivor and its implementation should be warranted.

In my opinion, a Wizard that uses a summon guns/magic spell is essentially just throwing away their Wizard round as I have personally never witnessed a Wizard accomplish their objectives in a summon round. Either the crew all kill each other and the Wizard, or they wait for the Wizard to arrive and then kill him.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #50832

Luke Cox wrote:I think what's really sitting wrong with a lot of people is that this is a very extremely harsh solution to a very small problem. Just get rid of the survivor role. Problem solved.
It isn't just survivor, the same reasoning applies to any antagonist with easy objectives.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
bandit

Post by bandit » #50834

I hate to emptypost, but IMO this is close to the last word on this particular situation. Particularly the last few paragraphs:
Amelius wrote:Originally, antagonist was carte-blanche to do anything but violating cardinal rules (no rape, etc.), and was seen as a reprieve from being constrained as a non-antagonist. It shouldn't be just another restricted role, where you have to worry if you're going to get banned for doing [x]. Furthermore this will just make changeling rounds even worse - there are few of them, they'll have their hands tied under this policy, so most of the crew will be having fun playing 'extended' every changeling round.

Furthermore, SoS, you call removing people from the round griefing, but the reality is that the job of the antagonist is to remove people from the round and progress it in the process thereof. How they do so has always been up to them, and that it should be. How else do you expect the shuttle to be sent?

You seem to be complaining about a dearth of creativity, but I challenge that and say the problem is that there are few ways to implement creativity in murder effectively. A disposals slide into singuloth takes five seconds to dismantle, and fifteen minutes, at least to assemble, and will kill, at most, a few fools and it will immediately paint you with a gigantic target on your back, either during construction, or after. There are so few interesting, especially job-specific tools for traitors that are effective, while, once you get caught for murder, killing any guard you come across is the most effective and fool-proof strategy that tilts advantage to your side, and you're ordering us to slide efficacy for policy, which is nonsensical from a pragmatic perspective.

Combine this policy change (again, with no community involvement) with the combat changes in the pipeline that will utterly fuck changeling, revolution, and DA rounds especially, while making catching greytiders, traitors, and lings a living nightmare in an already-unpopular job, and it's just another point in favour that the coders and co. are completely out of touch with the userbase and wish for this server to go the way of the Baystation. We had a niche, and we're moving out of it for no apparent reason.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that going for greentext is the exact opposite method of having fun in this game. It takes about twenty seconds to get a pair of magboots as an antagonist. Then what? Killing more people goes 'against your end goals' So why the heck would you bother doing anything but call the shuttle at the very start of the round? Greentext is far too easy to achieve, and so find a different litmus test, at least.
As for wizards and summoning and survivor, I think "removing wiz/survivor" is far more "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" than this. This policy on its own takes care of murderboning survivors -- if a survivor decides to antagonize everyone, he isn't remotely doing the things to help himself survive (even the MOST ROBUSTEST MURDERBONERS get caught eventually) and is ignoring his objective totally.

admin feedback pls
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #50835

Alright. This shitstorm has finally convinced me to create YET ANOTHER forum account (We've been through like 3 forums, this is ridiculous).

The antagonists role is to antagonize the station. Yes, they have objectives like escaping alone, stealing X, etc. etc. but their broader goal is to create a challenge for the crew to overcome... or try to overcome at least. Being an antagonist gives you free reign to do as you please to the station, which leads to the emergent gameplay that is unique to SS13. Trying to bottleneck antagonists into performing only certain tasks does not "encourage roleplay", but instead I would argue it hinders it. It steals from the creativity and unpredictability that are the only selling points this game has. It turns being an antagonist from the freedom of doing almost anything you want into just another game about completing objectives.

Now I know what your thinking.
Loon, you have no fucking clue what your rambling about. This only stops people from being shitty, unfun murderbonering assholes and that's a good thing.
Heres the thing. If an antagonist wants to murder everyone, we already have an entire department dedicated exclusively to stopping them. By enacting policy regarding mass murder, we are essentially putting a basic traitorous activity up there with rape and exploiting bugs, an IC crime so shitty it has to be handled OOC. I know everyone recoils at the term h-u-g-b-o-x but that's exactly what this is. Mass murder has always been an IC problem that has countless IC solutions. If the crew/security is too stupid to take the right actions and they all get murdered, well that's just too fucking bad. If for some reason the crew honestly cannot hope to overcome the murderboner stroking antagonist no matter what they do, than its a balance issue, not a policy issue.

Now lets just address SoS's concern. If this really is a rule reserved for only the "worst of the worst", than it doesn't need to be a rule at all. If some hulk with insulated gloves, an E-sword, a crossbow, and a hoard of rogue borgs backing him up has killed 60 people and is doing nothing but recalling the shuttle, we don't even need a new policy in order for admins to just tell him to stop being a dick. If someone is going that fucking far to make everyone else miserable, just BOINK him and tell him to cut it off. If he doesn't, ban him for an hour for impeding the round. There is no need to punish every single antagonist for the dickishness of a few.

As for people being removed from the round for no reason? Deal with it. I'm probably the least robust person on this server, I can't fight for shit and when I try to fight I lose. I die. A lot. And you know what, that's alright. Its all part of the game. If people didn't get murdered in Rev rounds, they would be boring as fuck. If people didn't kill each other after a wizard summon guns, than the point of the spell is null. If traitors didn't murder me 4 no raisen, than they wouldn't be much of a traitor now would they? Being removed from the round sucks, but it is a part of the game. If people can't deal with the fact that they are going to be killed, they need to find a new game.

So to end my ramblings:
-Antagonists should have the full freedom to choose how they antagonize the station. Antagonizing people is their job.
-Trying to force people to antagonize others while at the same time not antagonizing them too much is like trying to poke halfway through a balloon with a battle axe. Like that analogy, it doesn't make much sense.
-If some antagonist killed you 4 no raisen, deal with it nerd. Its all part of the game.
-If its that obvious that someone is just being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt, give him the ol' BOINK
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #50841

I'm starting to think this whole matter needs another discussion at length before being fully implemented.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you