How do you unlock Hazard/Military Nanites?

General SS13 Chat
Feels Goodman
Byond Username: FeelsGoodmanV56

How do you unlock Hazard/Military Nanites?

Post by Feels Goodman » #501744

I am attempting to become an expert on Nanite technology but I've run into a brick wall.

No matter what hacking or Emagging I do I haven't been able to unlock Hazard or Military nanites on the techtree.
Regardless how many research points are accumulated or the state of the hacked console the text remains red and grayed out.
I have even researched spent detomatrix cartridges in the deconstructive analyzer to no avail.

I haven't found any info anywhere else on this so how do you unlock these damn nanite programs?!!
Feels Goodman
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: How do you unlock Hazard/Military Nanites?

Post by wesoda25 » #501747

Your first mistake was learning nanites

But I think it requires alien technology
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #501749

Hazard needs ayy tech and military needs illegal tech.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #501753

To get those, you need to scan an abductor tool (most likely a surgery tool since you can find them in ruins) and for illegal tech anything that can be bought from the uplink should work.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #503465

Redpill me on nanites.
Bring back papercult.

Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #503474

You mean programming them or using them?

Nanites are a lot like viruses. They're passive and can have whatever effects are programmed into them, good or bad.

[*]Nanites are limited by how many nanites you have, which recharges over time. Some programs charge them faster at a cost.

[*]Nanites can only spread via the nanite machine, making the intrinsically "opt-in".
[*][*]One of the abductor nanites makes them spread like a virus, although it's slow and requires a lot of nanites. Someone doing this is probably a traitor, since it almost certainly is only useful for forcing everyone to have nanites so you can force a deadly program onto them.

[*]Viruses are limited by 6 symptoms maximum, chosen at the point of creation.
[*]Nanites can have as many programs as you want, up until it lags the machine out to add more.
[*]Nanites can have their symptoms changed at any time, it only takes one traitor to run up to the machine and upload a program that makes you go to sleep or inject poison or brainwash you into a mutiny.

[*]Nanites overall have the potential to be more deadly. One program just makes all the nanites in you explode, which usually is instant death. However as most nanites are "opt-in" this is the price you pay for choosing to use them.

[*]Nanites are overall easier to get rid of, EMPing yourself is a low-risk cure if you do it a few times, and always works.