Oranges did [almost] nothing wrong

General SS13 Chat
afelinidisfinetoo
Byond Username: A felinid is fine too

Oranges did [almost] nothing wrong

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #504071

I check in on ss13 today and I see people shitting their pants with fury because Oranges is removing stuff like war ops, cloning, easy healing mechanics, etc.
As somebody who gave Oranges a rough juicing a while ago over his censoring shit for attention I'd like to say that there is nothing wrong with these changes, even if he is ultimately doing them for attention still.
I think many of you started playing SS13 long into the open source era, and you don't remember what it was like when the game had some sense of game direction. For you the current silly state of things is the default.
During the closed source era of SS13 there was always an authority to decide the players can't have the easy way in things.
Today, players have essentially added "everything they want" for themselves. It has been "player-ified." In game design, this never works out well.
There needs to be more oranges-style harsh revisions and nerfs to the game.

Internals have gone from a rare, valued, hotly contested resource to something everyone spawns with in a box in their backpack.
Space suits have gone from being more valuable than gold to being spammed in every department.
Cloning had gone from an unintended genetics bug to a tentative 5-10 minutes per person official feature to an automated assembly line with prescanning and autoscanning and autocloning and like one respawn per 30 seconds.
Healing had gone from letting doctors analyze you to see where you're injured, to automatically knowing your injured locations and doing it yourself, to not even having to heal specific locations and just throwing a global patch on instead.
Every department has always had its own code lobbyists who add retarded "I buff me" bullshit.
Security is particularly awful about this. Security in SS13 used to be a fragmented, small, lowly-armed department that would frequently get eradicated by one guy with a toolbox. Today it's a centralized pseudomilitary LARP zone with a gigantic armory, massively buffed armor, fifty different roles, an anime LARP head of security with an armored trenchcoat, and more guns every time I look at the game.
Foiling traitors in SS13 used to be a Home Alone-style group effort by the various departments working together within their various fields. In other words the core gameplay loop of SS13 used to involve all the players of the game, not a dedicated department of armed-to-the-teeth traitor killers.

The entire vibe of the game has changed. This game used to have a serious, coherent direction. Years of contribution salad have turned the game into a fragmented mess. You can't turn a corner without finding dumb, low-effort joke content. People used to laugh at the game because unserious things happened in the serious environment of a research space station. Years of unrestricted addition have watered down the setting to the point that the game doesn't even take itself seriously any more. Modern SS13 is like a Garry's Mod DarkRP server with 500 different dumb, mismatching mods installed, complete with the obnoxious cops-and-robbers motif.

Ideally one particular headcoder who can give direction to the game, be it oranges or anyone else, needs to continue de-playerifying the tg codebase.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Oranges did [almost] nothing wrong

Post by oranges » #504082

thank you afelinidisfinetoo, very cool
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #504089

tbf making internals and spacesuits less common would be nice
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #504092

What the fuck are you on about
even with all their new "toys" sec is ultimately still very powerless, even more so with the removal of the taser, and stands basically no fucking chance against the tide
Internals have never been massively rare, they didn't use to spawn in but oxygen lockers weren't super uncommon and the decision to give people boxes made sense given it'd become "everyone survives the very easy to do no oxygen or toxic gas conditions except the few shmucks who don't rush air locker fast enough"
Spacesuits are a smidge too common in the sense EVA is too easy to break in and Sec doesn't punish people with EVAsuits enough, that much is true, but this is more a side consequence of not making spacesuits high-risk items, which they are
And nothing of this has anything to do with the decision people are actually screaming about (removing War Ops) which was prompted by a condom captain not getting the point of the gamemode is cooperation in the first place

War Ops is always preferrable to stealth ops aka "Secret Extended 2: Explosive Finale" or Blitz Ops, which is the worse thing in the planet
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #504093

If you actually read the OP you’re gay
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #504096

Sheodir wrote:What the fuck are you on about
even with all their new "toys" sec is ultimately still very powerless, even more so with the removal of the taser, and stands basically no fucking chance against the tide
Internals have never been massively rare, they didn't use to spawn in but oxygen lockers weren't super uncommon and the decision to give people boxes made sense given it'd become "everyone survives the very easy to do no oxygen or toxic gas conditions except the few shmucks who don't rush air locker fast enough"
Spacesuits are a smidge too common in the sense EVA is too easy to break in and Sec doesn't punish people with EVAsuits enough, that much is true, but this is more a side consequence of not making spacesuits high-risk items, which they are
And nothing of this has anything to do with the decision people are actually screaming about (removing War Ops) which was prompted by a condom captain not getting the point of the gamemode is cooperation in the first place

War Ops is always preferrable to stealth ops aka "Secret Extended 2: Explosive Finale" or Blitz Ops, which is the worse thing in the planet
new fag vs old fag

also the captain didn't have a chance to cooperate, their bedroom was raided by 3 or 4 assistants and they were critted within the first couple of minutes of the round
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #504098

I don't play on tg for long but I adminned for Pizza and played on Bay before that, I didn't exactly start yesterday.

I was there that shift and he didn't get lynched for that, he got lynched for his spastic fucking whining and refusal to allow people to continue arming themselves up - they also weren't critted a "couple of minutes" in, they got critted when they refused to give the disk to someone else later in the preparation. It's probably bannable depending on how that situation escalated, but by no means a picture of War Ops as a gamemode. And, again, the cap was being a shit and willingly getting in the way of what can be considered the "traditional" progression of War Ops. You'd also lynch a QM that spaced the Cargo budget during War Ops, or a Chaplain that threw away his shit during cult.
afelinidisfinetoo

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #504100

Sheodir wrote:internals have never been massively rare,
I remember a round on android data's server where 20+ people in a row died to:
- seeing a (single, particular) oxygen tank lying on the ground
- picking it up and opening the valve
- immediately dying to engine-room hellburn that had been siphoned into the oxygen tank by a traitor

The only places you used to be able to get internals were EVA and engineering. Security would sometimes go to engineering and trade their roundstart thermals for an oxygen tank.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #504102

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:
Sheodir wrote:internals have never been massively rare,
I remember a round on android data's server where 20+ people in a row died to:
- seeing a (single, particular) oxygen tank lying on the ground
- picking it up and opening the valve
- immediately dying to engine-room hellburn that had been siphoned into the oxygen tank by a traitor

The only places you used to be able to get internals were EVA and engineering. Security would sometimes go to engineering and trade their roundstart thermals for an oxygen tank.
>Android "SS13 is hereby gone" Data

Holy shit, are we talking 2006? Ok, fair, I didn't go that far back. Yeah, internals were rare as shit back then, but died to internals related causes was also rarer, or at least more difficult. I feel if you start removing boxes from people/making lockers rarer suddenly oxygen siphoning is a good way to stealth kill the entire station in seconds OR people will just break into engineering en masse like it's Cargo's autolathe but covered in gold
afelinidisfinetoo

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #504103

Sheodir wrote: internals were more rare, but dying to internals related causes was also rarer, or at least more difficult.
Yes, this is because internals are everywhere now. Coders freely add space-venting mechanics to their creations because everyone has an internals box. It's a great example of open source shortsightedness: players died to depressurization, said to themselves "I never want to die to depressurization again!" and added internals boxes, and it indirectly caused more depressurization mechanics to the point that the station now feels like it's made of cardboard. So now the situation is basically the same except finding internals no longer feels special and lucky. Thanks, casuals.
Last edited by afelinidisfinetoo on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #504104

Sheodir wrote:I don't play on tg for long but I adminned for Pizza and played on Bay before that, I didn't exactly start yesterday.

I was there that shift and he didn't get lynched for that, he got lynched for his spastic fucking whining and refusal to allow people to continue arming themselves up - they also weren't critted a "couple of minutes" in, they got critted when they refused to give the disk to someone else later in the preparation. It's probably bannable depending on how that situation escalated, but by no means a picture of War Ops as a gamemode. And, again, the cap was being a shit and willingly getting in the way of what can be considered the "traditional" progression of War Ops. You'd also lynch a QM that spaced the Cargo budget during War Ops, or a Chaplain that threw away his shit during cult.
it was 100% bannable and you claiming it's the "traditional" progression fo warops is the exact kind of braindamaged stupidity that represents everything about that gamemode
afelinidisfinetoo

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #504106

Warops was never well-designed as a gamemode anyway. It's capture the flag where 95% of the players don't have a flag indicator. The point was supposed to be to create a nuke mode where all the crew gets involved, but in practice it always boiled down to standard nuke (6 armed nukies chasing the captain and maybe other head who has a pinpointer) except with more guns.

If you wanted to make an actually entertaining over-the-top "syndies raid the station" gamemode it would need more thorough balance and consideration, and should probably be a distinct gamemode unto itself, not a button that stealth ops can press. You could instantly make it more fun by having the gamemode spawn a cargo shuttle filled with pinpointers & basic weapons for the crew
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #504107

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:
Sheodir wrote: internals were more rare, but dying to internals related causes was also rarer, or at least more difficult.
Yes, this is because internals are everywhere now. Coders freely add space-venting mechanics to their creations because everyone has an internals box. It's a great example of open source shortsightedness: players died to depressurization, said to themselves "I never want to die to depressurization again!" and added internals boxes, and it indirectly caused more depressurization mechanics to the point that the station now feels like it's made of cardboard. So now the situation is basically the same except finding internals no longer feels special and lucky. Thanks, casuals.
Both alternatives are fine, though. Either internals are rare and the station is very well built and thus anyu threats that require internals are rare as shit or vice versa on both ends. Does it matter? Does it warrant a large fucking do over of these systems just to make internals special again?
oranges wrote:
Sheodir wrote:I don't play on tg for long but I adminned for Pizza and played on Bay before that, I didn't exactly start yesterday.

it was 100% bannable and you claiming it's the "traditional" progression fo warops is the exact kind of braindamaged stupidity that represents everything about that gamemode
Yes, you're meant to collaborate with others during a War Ops shift. Every gamemode has this kind of thought, specially ones more geared towards clearer threats. Same reason a chaplain is expected to collaborate with sec and staff during a cult shift or why if you refused to mindshield people during a rev shift you'd also probably get lynched. The point of it is to be a collaboration, the whole station coming together against one opponent. I don't get your aversion to this concept.

Also I wasn't in the exact room when cap was lynched, but both people who were there and the fact Jerry Hunt isn't banned (he's still around) probably tell me you're either got a very biased view of the event or are deliberately misrepresenting it.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:Warops was never well-designed as a gamemode anyway. It's capture the flag where 95% of the players don't have a flag indicator. The point was supposed to be to create a nuke mode where all the crew gets involved, but in practice it always boiled down to standard nuke (6 armed nukies chasing the captain and maybe other head who has a pinpointer) except with more guns.

If you wanted to make an actually entertaining over-the-top "syndies raid the station" gamemode it would need more thorough balance and consideration, and should probably be a distinct gamemode unto itself, not a button that stealth ops can press. You could instantly make it more fun by having the gamemode spawn a cargo shuttle filled with pinpointers & basic weapons for the crew
The crew not having a lot of pinpointers is a good way to make sure it's more of a defense of the disk than a constant chase after nukies once they get the disk holder. When done right War Ops will reinforce a position around the disk or disk holder, and this happens frequently. The reason it's a button the War Ops presses is honestly because Nuke Ops otherwise had two options:

Stealth "Secret Extended 2" Ops, where ops either pull out their plan in complete stealth as a bored crew just looks at the wall before the whole station fucking exploded.

Blitz "This Should be Bannable" Ops, where ops rush at the disk before the crew can sneeze with adrenals and other ways to basically make holding them back impossible and the shift is over in five minutes.

Face it, War Ops was the only way anyone ever had fun with Nuke Ops as a gamemode. I'm all for redesigning it as a gamemode proper (which now seems to be the intent) but the call to remove it based on the fact it's "TDM" is retarded.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #504110

they were not banned because as usual there were no admins online
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #504120

i dont like warops much because whenever it's warops the captain wont let me a gun
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #504131

oranges wrote:... there were no admins online
in the removal PR you said:
oranges wrote:... people felt able to do that on a prime time basil round with admins online...
I'm confused, which is it?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #504147

he's breaking the conditioning
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #504150

I'm just confused if the issue is with admins not doing anything about shit behaviour or if they were simply not online to deal with it
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #504168

You know what I miss? Space being... space, like actually dangerous. Ok sure its got a little better, but more often than not space just means slapping on internals and then you're probably fine for a little bit.
Now people rarely give two fucks as to why a firedoor is shut or to any hull breach really.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #504170

I think part of it is atmos seems to proc a lot slower in depressurising rooms
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #504171

I mean I guess, though lets be honest explosive decompression days of atoms were not fun at all...
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #504187

Back in my day syndies were just 4 guys in red space pajamas with revolvers and they'd still nuke the station

They didnt have giant robots or Borgs or fully automatic combat shotgubs
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #504197

E-bow OPs will return. OPs with SWAT helmets and vests will return. The HoS will have his dermal armour patch back. Stungloves will make a return. We will Make SS13 Great Again
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #504198

cant wait for parapen c4 meta to come back
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #504201

readddddd farding and shiddinggggggggggggggggggggg xxxxxxxxxxxx
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #504221

Anonmare wrote:readddddd farding and shiddinggggggggggggggggggggg xxxxxxxxxxxx
baste
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #504243

terranaut wrote:cant wait for parapen c4 meta to come back
Ok you make a good point that was shit.
Anonmare wrote: The HoS will have his dermal armour patch back.
Honestly the entire time that existed I could NEVER work out how to apply it
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #504281

peoplearestrange wrote:
It was literally a reskin of the normal HoS hat where the joke was that it had no on-mob sprite and was also a reference I think. HoS players that liked to show off their snowflake characters and HoS players that liked to powergame by having invisible armor both loved it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #504286

Yeah, it was literally so someone could have normal hair while they still had the HoS Hat protection, it was so stupid
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #504342

Sheodir wrote:[
Yes, you're meant to collaborate with others during a War Ops shift. Every gamemode has this kind of thought, specially ones more geared towards clearer threats. Same reason a chaplain is expected to collaborate with sec and staff during a cult shift or why if you refused to mindshield people during a rev shift you'd also probably get lynched. The point of it is to be a collaboration, the whole station coming together against one opponent. I don't get your aversion to this concept.

Also I wasn't in the exact room when cap was lynched, but both people who were there and the fact Jerry Hunt isn't banned (he's still around) probably tell me you're either got a very biased view of the event or are deliberately misrepresenting it.
imagine holding the opinion that teamkilling is okay if you decide your teammate isn't powergaming hard enough

fuck off
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #504351

here's the dry cleaning bill for the dirt stains on everyone's ass from this shit the sliding down the slippery slope that's happening itt
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
The_Silver_Nuke
Byond Username: The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #504488

The thing about WarOps is that people realize that, "Hey, it's nukies, and therefore everyone on the station are good guys, and anyone that tries to stop us from defending ourselves is in the wrong."

IMO Nuclear operatives would be vastly improved by adding a couple of minor antagonists that would provide a reason for guns/AA to not be handed out like candy, due to the fact that these minor antags could do a lot of damage with it. Warops just speeds up the process by which people react to nukies. Once nukies are spotted at any time, HoP opens up all access, sec opens armory, and that's all she wrote. And thus by adding a few minor antags to the game mode it would at least provide some form of deterrant for the mass chaos that results.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #504493

The_Silver_Nuke wrote:The thing about WarOps is that people realize that, "Hey, it's nukies, and therefore everyone on the station are good guys, and anyone that tries to stop us from defending ourselves is in the wrong."

IMO Nuclear operatives would be vastly improved by adding a couple of minor antagonists that would provide a reason for guns/AA to not be handed out like candy, due to the fact that these minor antags could do a lot of damage with it. Warops just speeds up the process by which people react to nukies. Once nukies are spotted at any time, HoP opens up all access, sec opens armory, and that's all she wrote. And thus by adding a few minor antags to the game mode it would at least provide some form of deterrant for the mass chaos that results.
I think Dynamic mode can accomplish this pretty well, actually
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #504497

The_Silver_Nuke wrote:The thing about WarOps is that people realize that, "Hey, it's nukies, and therefore everyone on the station are good guys, and anyone that tries to stop us from defending ourselves is in the wrong."

Could spawn 1 or 2 infiltrators on the station to remedy that.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #504502

Screemonster wrote:imagine holding the opinion that teamkilling is okay if you decide your teammate isn't powergaming hard enough

fuck off
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #504504

PKPenguin321 wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:
It was literally a reskin of the normal HoS hat where the joke was that it had no on-mob sprite and was also a reference I think. HoS players that liked to show off their snowflake characters and HoS players that liked to powergame by having invisible armor both loved it
Holy shit, mind blown. And wow thats... thats just awful.

also
Screemonster wrote: imagine holding the opinion that teamkilling is okay if you decide your teammate isn't powergaming hard enough

fuck off
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box