Certain jobs that draw you away on /tg/

General SS13 Chat
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Certain jobs that draw you away on /tg/

Post by Shadowflame909 » #504961

1. Atmos/Toxins Man. If you want to have any fun with it. You need to be kept in the loop of all the "secret PR updates and changes" You need to know the new formulas that replaced the old ones, and you need to know the mathimatical solutions to these things. I'm no Math-Guy. So I dislike this, and I dislike any job that requires knowledge or calculations completely outside of this game. IE telesci.

2. Genetics. It has no creativity, no RNG prowess. What I mean is, it's very very limited with what you can do with it. And It'd need a WHOLE LOT OF mutations to get this feeling of boredom out of it. What I mean is, you can basically get everything you want in one round. And when you do get it. It's pretty damn neutered and no longer viable compared to all the other departments. (IE. Hulk is now weaker then the mining sonic jackhammer and is more detrimental) I think it needs a lot of mutations and a lot of combinations for more stronger mutations. So many infact, that you can honestly only get a small handful at the end of each round. That'd give in creativity on par with xenobio's RNG.

3. Chemist. Grief-Bait. Boredom rising. The only fun things to do with this job are harmful interactions that'll get someone killed or will annoy the hell out of them. If you're not being a husk of a factory worker constantly producing medicines that'll never get used because of how much they suck. There are some that are good, like carpet bombs and colorful reagent. But it's not enough man. It's uncreative, griefy, and braindead unfun. Most chemists usually ride around with a potent grief-mix on an attacking greytider that they never use. Just not worth playing for me.
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Certain jobs that draw you away on /tg/

Post by wesoda25 » #504965

Pretty good list. I somehow used to be a chem main but as of the last year I’ve been so burnt I can’t bear it. Genetics will always be mind numbing.

I enjoy toxins a lot though, and atmos in general. Its fun playing around and experimenting to get towards that golden ratio (for anything really). Reward is pretty satisfying as well.
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #505006

i'd say virology and genetics suffer from the same problems: Same-y process, there are only a handful of stuff that can be useful, the limit on symptoms means you're eitehr gonna have good stats on it and two good effects, or have a weak disease that will get cured unintentionally, and the fact that most of the time CMO is either nowhere to be found to give aproval for them, or just refuses to respond to you when you propose to employ a beneficial medicine. Also, since it's much easier to just make tons of whatever chemical cures a disease than wait for Viro to give vaccines, curing diseases becomes Chemistry's work. In the end, Viro makes his good disease, tries to call CMO for permission and then lazes aroudn the rest of the shift, because anything he can do, Chemistry can do better.

Chemistry is the central hub for a lot of departments, and a lot of people depend on it exclusively (Botany, medical, science, robotics if they want teslium...). The old bica/Kelo/Antitox/tricord used to allow you to ignore medical's needs inmediately and dedicate to other depts but now those three are gone (To be fair, they were too easy to make, although requiring toxin, a finite resource for Thia is a bit iffy and Charcoal is a multi-step process), thank the Lord that you start with charcoal already on medical... In any case, i feel a lot of Chemistry players forget that they should be providing to everyone, not just medsci (Make space cleaner for janis, mutagen for bot, maybe some sulphuric bottles for kitchen/bar/science... the needs of the station are many, and chemistry generally can solve all of them.

Security has the eponimous problem of judgement of character and the consequences of being middle management (Dealing with the workers under you and the bosses over you), contradictory orders, and general discoordination
(sec oficers all go do their own stuff and barely coordinate their actions save for general things they see). And then there's the greytide.

janitor runs out of non-slip cleaning tools VERY quickly, and Chemistry very rarely even thinks of Janitor's existence, so you are stuck using the mop and getting everyone angry, or your mop spaced, after too many slips. And i get it, it's part of the janitor experience to get yelled and such, but just one space cleaner spray is a bit sad.

Chaplain, Curator and Lawyer have very little to do unless it's cult/demons. Of course, I know they are pretty much RP jobs like clown and mime, but Lawyer usually becomes "listen to sec simulator, which can be done better by just observing the round, Chapel and Library are the msot desertic areas in the game, and there's only so many gimmicks you can think of to do while alone.

Of course, these are not real criticisms of the roles, but reasons why somesone could be swayed away from them. I'm sure things can be found about every role, really.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #505129

Medical Doctor. Terrible and everyone knows it. The fast-paced life of /tg/ and the way its code shaped out honestly explains this.

The only way for it to get better, is to make the quality of life for everyone worse. (Well not exactly everyone. Just the non-antagonists.)

My hot-take is that if you have to radically change the way the game is played to give this job any semblance of content. Maybe it just doesn't need to exist.

O' My Bay-Med
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #505144

medbay is fun again due to recent medbay changes, specifically randolfs defibb/organ rework