Favorite Job and why

General SS13 Chat
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Re: Favorite Job and why

Post by Cheimon » #67563

Bottom post of the previous page:

AI, because in addition to having loads of power and ability to change the round, you can do it differently in any given round. You can pick your own personality at the start and then work from there, you can put as much or as little effort in as you want (within reason, you've still gotta open doors) and sometimes other people (Captains uploading laws, borgs being just great) can make the round even better. Plus having your own borgs is like running a department where the staff actually typically listen to you and care about what you want them to do (kind of like I assume HOS is from that one time I played it).

Medical Doctor is fun, you have a pretty chilled time most of the shift and then when you want to you can go and heal people. In high intensity crises it's really great: MD is the best job to do when there's a blob, for example. There's probably a bit too much standing around for most of the time but when you're in the mood for that it's the perfect job because there are normally a bunch of people in medbay to talk to.

Security Officer is just a good mix of these two: it's quite high stress and very busy but when you get it right and have a good team with you then there's nothing better. My favourite moments in this game have all been playing as a security officer, whether winning or losing. Mostly I don't think anything beats gearing up with a few other officers and murdering the hell out of a cult base full of constructs and cultists.
FredNodoor
Byond Username: Anonwizard404

Post by FredNodoor » #67567

My favorite job is Mining

Its so calm from most of the other jobs to be honest and its fun to help almost every part of the station with your minerals (and make a baller escape lounge)
My only dream is a world without mimes
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67571

Mining is like viro, except useful.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #67869

Say that to my face as I run laps around you with endless stimulant, heal wounds slowly but surely with toxic comp/filter, manifest random superpowers (okay that one's helpfulness is debatable at best) and heal my eye damage as well as any other, actually harmful, diseases I may contract. Within half an hour at most. And the entire crew's doing it too in a logarithm of help-ed-ness where every super-sanic step and every punch healed is an extension of a Virologist doing their job

Uh, one single answer is tough since I have different modes of playing.

Don't want to do anything: Atmos Tech. So much cool stuff to play with, and nobody ever expects you to do a damn thing. So either you fuck around without consequence, or you're actually helpful and people are pleasantly surprised.
Okay I'll try: Virologist, Janitor, QM/Tech. Roles that certaiinly aren't necessary for anybody to Win most times but you can be helpful and appease your inner fake-autism. Janitor's particularly fun.
Rock and roll bby: AI. I'm the god of this world, and although I'm bound to help you like a genie, I'd be helpful anyhow even if I were to get purged. So much to do, but it's hard to get bored unless it's really lowpop.
BRING IT ON: Captain/HoS. I can't explain to you why I find these roles fun, I must just be a damaged person. Captain especially is fun if you go into hyper-delegation mode and just yell at people to put out that fire/clown/bomb rather than suffering to actually do it yourself.

Bottom two obviously preclude much adminning even if I wanted to, but Atmos Tech is also ideal for being adminned since you could vanish for 20 minutes having an argument with a grifflord in PMs and nothing would ever change.
RIP
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #67932

My favorite job is atmos tech. I play it when I need to cool off.

If I roll traitor, I help everyone else cool off.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67950

>cool off
Atmos tech is the perfect job to get things hot and bothered. Right, Goggles?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67955

Gonna go with detective. I love the noir outfit and cool gun, I love documenting evidence with pictures, getting testimony with my recorder and collecting evidence in bags, I love compiling evidence and presenting my case to the HoS/man in charge when i think i have cracked it, and i love getting in shootouts with revolver weilding traitors. Although most lowpop badger rounds i am kind of security officer plus, which is okay too.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #67958

I can't say I have any one 'favourite' job, but I suppose I have a list?

Mime - No responsibility, can dick around, people fall in love with you if you're helpful.

Scientist - Mostly for dat antag roll. Maximum overgriff.

Atmos - >implying anybody cares about what you do as atmos

Chemistry - facid dark matter poison death smoke turning medbay into a schoolyard drug dealer, etc.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #68012

Drone.

ignore everything
fix stuff
build autism forts
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #68038

I sometimes play captain not because it's fun, but rather to be the leader the station deserves and keep a check on shitcurity and threats to this beautiful station. George Sears for president 2015.

I usually become best friends with the head of security and closely monitor the empire via cameras and such.

During blob rounds I really shine when I direct cargo to order needed supplies and set up emitters myself when engineering is off fucking around in space. We usually have x-ray guns within 30 minutes.
Last edited by mikecari on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #68039

As big of an asshole as Iteq is sometimes, I really do enjoy seeing him as Captain and demoting shit sec. Sometimes you just need an asshole to get the job done.

Atmos cozy as fuck though, extra funny when you get greyshirts that try to break in from maint and you're still there and they're just "Uhhh.. wrong door heh"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #68099

Casual: Roboticist. Stompy mechs, augmentations, and other fun stuff. You're also very useful to the station without a ton of effort.
For srs: Head of Security. No matter what round type it is, there's something exciting to do. Also, it's nice to have some authority to deal with greytiders.
Antagonist: Chief Engineer. Free hardsuit, easy singularity access, and secure tech storage access? Fuck yes.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #68102

If I hope for antag I usually QM. Because you get just about everything and anything. You can MAKE your own singularity.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #68111

DemonFiren wrote:If I hope for antag I usually QM. Because you get just about everything and anything. You can MAKE your own singularity.
A lot of people rave about traitor QM. It's fun on paper, but I like CE better because you have more freedom. A QM roaming the station looks suspicious. A CE roaming the station is pretty normal.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #68112

As long as you have a crate in tow and ramble about disposals being busted somewhere...

Or play on Basil.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #232717

QM. Its a lax job, but shines when you get loyal techs and nonfaggy miners.
Warden is pretty much the next level of QM with less crate dragging and more dip shit dragging
Captain is fun for ebin memes and a supperiority complex
Engie is fin to build stuff and defy expectation when you acctually fully repair a breach
Medics and scientists are nerds lmao
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #232723

My all time favorite is mining. The first time I ever went shaft miner an ash Drake had spawned right outside the station and kicked our face in. That set the tune that I dance now. I like it more than anything because most miners suck, and I like being in charge of actually going to the effort of finding their body and cloning them.

HoS is fun for me because it lets antag shape up. I love it when the antag can hold gimmicks but at the same time fend opposition off. Makes the game fun for me.

Captain is fun since actually checking over departments and giving a sense of direction to workers is great. Also the station naming char is fun to use.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #232750

FredNodoor wrote:My favorite job is Mining

Its so calm from most of the other jobs to be honest and its fun to help almost every part of the station with your minerals (and make a baller escape lounge)
Oh how the times have changed.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #232789

Head of security
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #232796

Assistant. I agree that those awful Grey Shits are the worst think since unsliced bread, but good Assistants that actually assist and have fun gimmicks such as a salesman or an astronaut (both things I've done) can really add a fun new spin onto a round. I once found an abandoned clown ship and brought all the bananium back to the station.
There were 3 HONK mechs. I've also been the second detective and helped the detective solve a serial killer crime.

Securitiy Officer. its actually not all that bad especially if you try to follow laws and arrest the perp and can be good fun when there's a serious antag on the loose.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #232797

personally I'm a big fan of geomancer.
Cw3040
Byond Username: Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #236603

Assistant, not because GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE but because it is the most versatile role on the station. You can do quite a few gimmicks or odd jobs as Assistant, but since everyone thinks "ZOMG ASSISTANT STEALS SHIT AND MUH GREYSHITTERY REEEEE" most of them fail spectacularly
Spoiler:
GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE
ImageImage
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #236652

i have this gimmick where i just turn one room into maint

like the doctor will notice the surgery doors are repainted, he'll open and it's just

maintized
Cw3040
Byond Username: Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #236690

Armhulen wrote:i have this gimmick where i just turn one room into maint

like the doctor will notice the surgery doors are repainted, he'll open and it's just

maintized
I have to steal this now
Spoiler:
GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE
ImageImage
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #236692

captain sawrge wrote:personally I'm a big fan of geomancer.
eat dongs, calculator for life
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #236707

Detective. Nothing like finally solving a case you have been working on for the last 10 minutes.
Head of Security a close second.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #236756

Cw3040 wrote:

maintized
I have to steal this now
i'm sorry mam, this room is gone to the maintenace now. i wish you the best of luck.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #236896

Armhulen wrote:
Cw3040 wrote:

maintized
I have to steal this now
i'm sorry mam, this room is gone to the maintenace now. i wish you the best of luck.
The crew were intiially glad that the grey tide were no longer a rioting, looting, disorganised rabble. But they were never prepared for an organised greytide.
It started slowly at first, random rooms that the crew never used were suddenly maintinised, nobody really noticed or cared. Then the tide grew higher, claiming more and more rooms and personnel who were formerly hard-working and law-abiding found themselves in grey jumpsuits, wearing gas masks and clutching spears they had no memory of making.

Soon, the whole station was maintenance - the grey tide became a grey tsunami.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #236899

D&B wrote:and I like being in charge of actually going to the effort of finding their body and cloning them
Hahaha. This never happens.
and 99% of miners who die instantly take another roll so if you say grab their head and attach and clone its worthless.

Virologist: With my anti-kevinz virus I have pioneered the most effective virus a peacekeepers borg loves. It's rarely taken by people for they're scared. But the ones who have repeatedly ask for it when I make it. Hearing that it saved them from getting dunked around by a megafauna to saving them as they were shot gunned point blank and blown up and thrown into space only to return because of the virus. It makes me feel so warm inside to bring such help and comfort to others I help.

Less gay but less fulfilling.
CMO/doctor. With 99% of doctor players being on the same level of skill as Dilirium Faust as a doctor who only waste supplies to kill patients. I must be the only competent doctor around, for if i am not. Medbay is lost.

TL;DR healing people is my fucking fetish

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #249721

Atmospherics, because pipe mapping is heckin relaxing and I enjoy the disaster response RP.

Botanist, because muh garden is also relaxing. Gene manipulation is a lot of fun and being pseudo-chem has made me hungry for more.

Engineering for the same reasons as Atmos, if not for more proactive means. I like being the combat engineer loyalist in antag rounds who gets to rebuild damage and fortify sensitive positions.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #249935

Assistant, no responsibilities.

Medical doctor, I can yell about suit sensors and save people.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #250005

sec so i can valid
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #250643

hop. i love giving quests to assistants, arguing over announcements, other goodies like that.
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Post by Weepo » #250813

I like research director, you're not the crazy scientist you're the boss of the crazy scientists and so long as you feed their manic schemes the world and station is your trembling bitch.

Aside from that I'm big on Janitor, there's something visceral about turning the bloody vomit stained hellhalls back to their pristine unsullied selves.