Uga-buga pete

General SS13 Chat
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Uga-buga pete

Post by OFQ » #513209

For some reason I becoming worse and worse at blowing stuff for science points.

This is my last TTV bomb specs:

Code: Select all

Results of analysis of  the oxygen tank.

Moles: 5327.29 mol

Volume: 70 L

Pressure: 2532.99 kPa

Carbon Dioxide: 0 % (0 mol)

Oxygen: 93.42 % (4976.51 mol)

Nitrogen: 0.15 % (8.1 mol)

Tritium: 6.43 % (342.68 mol)

Temperature: -269.14 °C (4.01 K)

Code: Select all

Results of analysis of  the plasma tank.

Moles: 0.84 mol

Volume: 70 L

Pressure: 2533 kPa

Plasma: 100 % (0.84 mol)

Temperature: 25078.3 °C (25351.4 K)
It yields pathetic 400 points.

I understand that I prolly should make plasma less hot and all. But how much? Also what is maximum plasma cell pressure before it blows. I'm thinking about adding some o2 into it.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Uga-buga pete

Post by terranaut » #513214

there's a literal fucking guide you hairless ape
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

OFQ

Post by OFQ » #513217

Ye well it's boring. I did it and it meh. I want to figure out how hot plasma should be (max)
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #513218

terranaut wrote:you hairless ape
Also I'm a moth lady, you pig
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #513228

I was gonna tell you how to get 50k until I learned you play a moth
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #513231

wesoda25 wrote:I was gonna tell you how to get 50k until I learned you play a moth
Let me guess you are a ligger?
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #513282

terra is a monky
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #513337

OFQ wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:I was gonna tell you how to get 50k until I learned you play a moth
Let me guess you are a ligger?
Id sooner die

Also I’ll give you a hint, do the exact opposite of what you asked in the first part of the bold statement
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #513352

Well you’re better than the losers that just copy guides and are content with that, don’t listen to these nerds.

I’d recommend just thinking about basic stuff like pv=nrt, but really code diving and making calculators is really the only way you’re going to make a great bomb.

You also seem to be using plasma as your heating agent, which is fine, but recognize this.

If you have 8 moles of plasma vs 0.01 mole of plasma, both at 2533 kpa, then the 0.01 mole is going to be hotter, but both will heat up your mix to the same temperature basically. The 8 moles of plasma will also react more, which some may think would always make a bomb always better.

However, for the same reason plasma is good for heating up, (has a lot of energy storage per temperature level), it also absorbs a lot of energy to reach the same temperature due to the law of energy conservation. So it can also hinder your bomb, making the 0.01 choice better, especially in the case of trying to reach tritium reactions.

I can spoil more if you want, or could invite you to the toxins discord to throw you a bone every once in a while.
retired ss13 coderman
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #513573

Whoneedspacee wrote:Well you’re better than the losers that just copy guides and are content with that, don’t listen to these nerds.

I’d recommend just thinking about basic stuff like pv=nrt, but really code diving and making calculators is really the only way you’re going to make a great bomb.

You also seem to be using plasma as your heating agent, which is fine, but recognize this.

If you have 8 moles of plasma vs 0.01 mole of plasma, both at 2533 kpa, then the 0.01 mole is going to be hotter, but both will heat up your mix to the same temperature basically. The 8 moles of plasma will also react more, which some may think would always make a bomb always better.

However, for the same reason plasma is good for heating up, (has a lot of energy storage per temperature level), it also absorbs a lot of energy to reach the same temperature due to the law of energy conservation. So it can also hinder your bomb, making the 0.01 choice better, especially in the case of trying to reach tritium reactions.

I can spoil more if you want, or could invite you to the toxins discord to throw you a bone every once in a while.
Thanks for the help. 95000k bomb actually stronger. But it makes me confused a bit. From the `pv=nrt` it is unclear why hotter gas but less moles is better. Also since I have such a minuscule amount of plasma moles to burn it is strange that the boom is stronger. Also since o2 and n2 have same capacity does it mean that the bomb will have same strange? And what with the science points calculation. Does it makes sense, for science purposes, to make weak bombs but with as much Tritium as possible ?
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #513668

Science points scale purely on the explosion size of your bomb, so just try to make a big bomb.

02 and n2 have the same capacity, but o2 reacts while n2 doesn't, reactions increase the temperature (and you need it for tritium and plasma fires), so it's going to be better with o2.

The reason that less moles of plasma makes a bigger boom:

More moles of plasma means more reactions, but honestly 8 moles is very negligable especially recently since the way bombs used to work is they'd react automatically 3 times before they blew up finally, but now they only react once, so your plasma won't add much energy to your bomb just burning since plasma burns are pretty slow.

Tritium is pretty much the meta for bombs right now since with a proper tritium burn it near instantly uses up all the gas, making it an efficient way to make a big bomb.
retired ss13 coderman
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #513669

For your first and hardest question: It is unclear from pv=nrt why less moles but hotter temperature makes a bigger boom.

Understand that when you mix two gasses, (like when you make your bombs), that what actually happens is an actually hot (fast moving) particle and a cold (slow moving) particle are mixing until they're the same energy / temperature. So if you imagine it like this, you can also imagine that since we have things like cars that are harder to move than things like a bicycle, then this same thing can be true for gasses.

Plasma is one of those car-like gasses, it takes a lot more energy for it to become hotter, but once it's hot aka moving, it's a lot harder to stop it. That's why we use plasma to heat gasses, because we can store a lot more energy but it only has the same pressure as any other gas. It's an effective heating tool.

But now that you know that it's just energy heating up your gas for the most part, we can start to prove that hotter gasses are better. The formula for the energy of a gas is e=n * t * s or moles * temperature * specific heat

The specific heat is the actual thing that measures how "hard" it is to move a gas, so if it has more specific heat, the gas is harder to move, and therefore if it's hotter has more energy. Example, oxygen at 10000 kelvin has the same energy as plasma at 1000 kelvin, showing once again why plasma is more effective at heating.

Since in pv=nrt has moles and temperature, we can actually relate the formula for energy to the pressure of our air tank that has our plasma in it.

We have nt in our equation for energy, so if we get that from pv=nrt we get nt=pv/r

So the energy of an air tank is pressure times volume times specific heat divided by the constant r

What this actually means is that the plasmas temperature doesn't really matter for heating up the other gas mix if it's at the same temperature, there's no way to actually get more energy in an air tank without adding more pressure.

Going back to the hard to move gas logic though, what this means is that if we have a very hot gas, we have less of that gas but we're still heating up the same amount.

When your bomb finally explodes after getting hot enough, and then the gas reacts, the gas you used to heat it up to initially react doesn't just disappear, if you have 8 moles of plasma, that's going to absorb a lot of the energy that your bomb is using to explode, which makes it harder to get a bigger explosion. However, if you made it extremely hot, at the end you'll have less of that gas so the final explosion will be bigger since it absorbed less energy.

tl;dr, it's not much more efficient at all to heat something up making it hotter or colder, as long as the pressure of the air tank that you're using to heat up the thing is exactly the same. however, having a hotter gas by pv=nrt, means you have less moles, which means at the same pressure you still heat up the mix the same amount regardless, but you have less of that gas to absorb energy from the bomb.
retired ss13 coderman
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #513676

Whoneedspacee wrote:I have crippling aspergers syndrome.
:honkman:
I play Boris Pepper.
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #513677

Bluespace wrote:
what can i say i think its fun.

also literally who are you my dude *wheeze*

dont talk to me till you got a 50k bomb ok buddy
retired ss13 coderman
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #513960

Strange I got plasma to `1.57102e+006 °C ` and now plasma tanks simply disintegrate into nothing after getting filed.
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #513972

Tanks can only hold up to a certain temperature before they disintegrate.

TANK_MELT_TEMPERATURE 1,000,000

so basically don't go to scientific notation kelvin or it'll melt.

don't worry about how that affects your efficiency of your bomb, at even 500,000 kelvin the mole amount is basically negligable.
retired ss13 coderman
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #514019

Whoneedspacee wrote:
Bluespace wrote:

I'm just joshing.
I play Boris Pepper.
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #514050

Bluespace wrote:
Whoneedspacee wrote:
Bluespace wrote:

I'm just joshing.
my names not josh ok
retired ss13 coderman