How to git gud at malf?

General SS13 Chat
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

How to git gud at malf?

Post by Reimoo » #54310

Recently, I had my first malfunction round, and I went in thinking it was going to be pretty easy because I've been rogue plenty of times before and I'm aware of all the tricks malf AIs can pull.

Nay, nay, friends. I messed up really badly. Most of the borgs that were built chose a module without listening to my requests. Kinda my fault, considering I traditionally greet a new cyborg and wait for a response before issuing a command. Still, I ended up with a team of 4 or so, so I didn't really complain. Anyways, after hacking the APCs on my satellite I went to hack the station APCs but the hack button was unresponsive. I'm probably missing something obvious here (aside from making sure I'm not already hacking one) but as a result when I panicked and hit station override I was left with a >1000 second timer. After that I knew it was gg no re, so I went over to engineering to release the singularity but the PA was deconstructed. I foolishly cut the SMES output instead, and as a result, not only was my station lockdown useless, but when I went to atmospherics to flood plasma the valves I needed were conveniently out of the camera light's reach. When it came to the point when the borgs were openly fighting down the hallways, I attempted to use machine overload to deal with the borg console, and I expected it to be a quick point and click prompt. What I got instead was this huge retarded list of basically every item on the station, machine or no, and when it came time to blow up the console, the borgs were locked and the console deconstructed by the time I could even figure out what the hell I was looking at. And finally, when the crew came pounding down my core doors, I sat there like a tard while I was being beat with a crowbar trying to figure out how to shunt.

Anyways, that's my impression on my first (and maybe last) attempt at malf AI. This thread is for people to share stories and advice to others in order to avoid making the retarded mistakes I did.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: How to git gud at malf?

Post by Remie Richards » #54314

Set up some scripts on telecomms if you notice the CE and Engineers aren't paying attention to it, standard impersonation scripts and replacing words like "rogue" with suitable replacements, mutes etc.
Keep Hacking to the harder to reach more hidden APCs since once one is found you're pretty fucked unless you can convince people it's emagged.
Have your borgs prepare defences in your core.
If the atmos technicians aren't actively working on atmos then set it up ready for a plasma flood, alternatively set it up quickly when you need it incase the techs are active.
Eliminate things and people who will be of most annoyance to you (Heads etc.) as secretly as possible, impersonate them with NTSL afterwards if need be.

When you trigger your override, flood rooms with plasma, lock the doors and windows and when there's enough plasma in a room blow the lights so it all ignites into a big fire.
Have your borgs keep people in your "burn chambers" or kill people on their own.

that's about as much as I can recall for my Malf strategy atm.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #54315

Personal tip from a security perspective. If you notice a Security Officer/Head of Security in the Science checkpoint, you really should avoid doing anything inside your core until that Officer is dead/gone. His Office cameras can directly access the AI Core cameras.
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Post by Rhisereld » #54320

A little while ago was my first round as a traitor AI.

I didn't really know what I could do to kill my target at first, so I sat around completing orders and waiting. After a little bit, it became clear that the RD was a traitor who had emagged all my borgs, since they were no longer slaved to me. After a while, I had to go braindead due to IRL stuff. Logged back on 30min later just in time to see the Captain card me and promptly die in space due to incompetence. My wireless wasn't enabled, so I couldn't call for help on the radio but I soon realised that I could still use PDA messages and begged an engineer to come rescue the Captain. A little while later, the good engineer comes, rescues the Captain's corpse and puts me back in my core. At this point I'm worried that he knows I'm a traitor by seeing me carded, so I promptly laser him to death.

Big mistake; the engineer calls out for help before he dies. Game over for me. The HoP moonwalks into my core with insulated gloves, a laser gun and a locker. Carded.

So yeah, I'm a pretty crappy rogue AI.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #54324

All right, I'll do what I can.
Reimoo wrote:Most of the borgs that were built chose a module without listening to my requests
That was the borgs' fault, not yours.
Reimoo wrote:I went to hack the station APCs but the hack button was unresponsive
Not sure about this, might be a problem unique to you.
Reimoo wrote:What I got instead was this huge retarded list of basically every item on the station
Right click the machine you're looking for and the context menu will have an option to overload it.
Reimoo wrote:I sat there like a tard while I was being beat with a crowbar trying to figure out how to shunt
Left-click on a hacked APC and you'll have an option called "Shunt Core Processes" or something along those lines.

Here's a few pointers about being malf. I can add more if you want.
  • Ensure your borgs are willing to cooperate. If they ignore you, ahelp it.
  • Engineering borgs are an asset and lots won't be questioned. Security borgs will.
  • Use a robotics control console to hack your borgs. This will give them the modules that emags will in addition to making them unable to be locked down.
  • Bide your time until override. If people start to see APCs, claim there's a ninja and the crew will gather their toolboxes and charge for the 'ninja'.
  • Don't hack your upload APC. It's easily the most obvious one and countless malf AIs have fallen doing it.
  • While hacked APCs reduce override time, they have diminishing returns. Each APC has less time reduction.
  • If a hacked APC is deconstructed, the timer increases rather than decreasing.
  • Don't release the singularity right away. It might end up eating you, although this can be avoided with a quick shunt.
  • Many malf powers aren't worth it, and some have incredible drawbacks. The borging machine removes shunting, for instance, and blackout is generally not useful.
  • More borgs means more manpower. Make sure to take out the roboticist(s) after activating override because they are the single most dangerous people on the station to you.
  • Don't cause hull breaches in your core before activating override. People might check the atmospherics consoles and get suspicious unless you cancel the alert.
  • If you have an engiborg, have it construct airlocks in your core and bolt them. These can be infuriating to get through.
  • In addition, make that same engiborg wire the singularity directly to the grid (and solars, too). This makes shocked doors much more effective.
  • A reinforced core might make all the difference after it's breached.
  • Hacked janiborgs get lube spray bottles. These can be extremely useful when paired with an angry secborg at the end of a lubed hallway.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #54348

I haven't lost my last dozen or so malf rounds.

My philosophy is spend a huge amount of prep time before KILLING EVERYTHING.

This means configuring all vents so you can flip them to death mode in an instant, speedshocking every door on the station, crushing key crewmembers in doors at the right moments, making every door slow them down for at least a minute, and basically creating a firestorm while spamming machine overrides and trapping people in rooms surrounded by killer machines.

By the end of it, there should be maybe a couple of space people left over. I mean literally kill every single person on the station while hacking the least obvious APCs and then wait out that timer while monologuing over the radio. It's a huge amount of fun and I have a lot of success with it. The pre-configuring of vents make a huge difference. The only times I've ever been foiled is with roundstart fuckery with atmos preventing my flood of death.

ALSO, keep an eye on science. Stop bombs by venting toxins, delete R&D and if someone begins to do telescience then fuck with them subtly or just override the machines.

None of this really needs competent borgs which helps a lot. An eborg to reinforce and hide the pinpointer at roundstart is good enough really. They can falsewall out the side of the captain's room and yank that pinpointer into secure tech storage and out the window if you time firedoors correctly to prevent witnesses.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #54372

Name of the game is to pretty much stall the crew as long as you can, machine override and overload the obvious threats (telescience, RnD, robotics control, chemestry, genetics), bolt airlocks and then disable enviormental power on the APCs to make the crew waste time trying to get through the wall or deconstruct the airlock. Have your borgs cause chaos, sec borgs tase and space anyone they find while engineering borgs open holes to space to severely restrict access to only the ten or so crew that can get a space suit, like your satellite lobby. If you're going to release the singulo, remember to have APCs stationwide to jump to, perferbally far away from Engineering.

Also if you're shunted and they pull the battery, you take about three minutes or so to actually die unless they blew up the APC, so if a crewmember gets lucky with the battery only to die right after, you can still edge out a victory.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #54429

I normally win my malf rounds, IIRC I dunked the crew so dam hard once admins had to tell me to go delta because I reduced the time to less than 120 seconds. I normally wait 5 or 10 minutes before hacking, let people into any room they want during that time, let science get their loot, engineers get done wiring solars. Edit T-Comm scripts to replace the word malf and/or any spelling/word with another meaning. If you have a borg and the captain didn't pick up his pin pointer have the borg hide it nearby like under a box of donuts or a paper bin in his room. Always get Lockdown, blow computers up, turret upgrades, and anything else.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #54442

Machine Override is your friend. It lets you blow up R&D, Telescience, the cyborg console (after you unlocked and hacked all your borgs), Chemistry and any other devices on the station that could spell disaster for you. Taking out the Mining Shuttle consoles is probably also a good choice, miners have space suits and gibtonite.

Also remember that you can directly control all robots on the station, including Beepsky and Pingsky or whatever the securitron on your satellite is called. You can even send them to specific locations on the station. Pingsky especially is a very potent ally, use him to stun people trying to infiltrate your satellite.

Other than that, Malf is all about buying time. Do everything in your power to slow the crew down BEFORE you initiate the station override, because once you hit Delta, every single human aboard the station will be coming after you, and a lot of them are very good at that.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #54463

Going through the list of air alarms on-station, removing the alarm triggers one by one is fun.

Actually pumping out all that lethal shit at the push of one button is something I'm not atmos enough for, though.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #54493

Learning NTSL and atmos are probably the most important things for a malf AI.

When you are confident you can silence specific people with NTSL, kill off robotics, engineers, scientists, heads one by one.

Like other people said - engieborgs can get away with tons of shit, and they are probably the most useful borg for a malf AI. Almost as strong as secborgs, but have more uses and are less suspiciou. One of my engieborgs once killed off the entire science department by itself without any help from me. I think he kept tcomms window minimised so he was able to mute the guy he was about to kill.

When you hack an apc, unlock it, then use NTSL to fake a dead head/officer/whatever saying "GUYS I JUST SAW AN UNKNOWN EMAG RANDOM DOORS AND APCS". Bolt open bunch of airlocks, bolt lights off, to pretend there's a phantom emagger.

Get a janiborg. It has a fucking trashbag. Use it to steak pinpointers, flashbangs, troublesome boards (you want the crew to be unable to make robotics control boards. Steal circuit imprinter boards and robotics control boards, obviously). I don't think ion rifle fits in the trashbag though.

Reinforce your core, then teleport to mining (or derelict, if you are willing to risk it. never seen someone do this). Laugh when people besiege your core.

Fry spacesuits in space suit storage units (engieborg can do that).

Tell an engiborg to replace pumps in atmos with pipes and disassemble tank control computers, now no-one can stop your plasmaflood (you can turn a pump off and unwrench it, you can't do that with a pipe if internal pressure is high enough, and the gas will still be pumped).

If you have a very robust borg or two and the crew won't be able to blow them, buy a borg-o-matic, though it's actually one of the less useful (but more fun) malf powers.

The few times I was a malf AI I didn't win because doing all that shit and not fucking up was just too much effort.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #54548

If your core moves through an area without a powered APC, you become blind and start losing integrity, so be careful with raising your floor bolts and having your borgs relocate you.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #54570

Don't forget, turning off enviorment power to a room and bolting the airlocks forces the crew to waste RCD charges getting rid of the door or losing a minute deconstructing the wall or the door itself.

Originally borgs could stack airlocks on top of each other, meaning you had to deconstruct each one in the stack just to get into a room, though since they fixed it, you're better off filling the room with bolted and unpowered airlocks.

Don't forget the maintenance room south of your core, anyone with a suit will try to breach your core from there, so make sure to reinforce that location too.

And telecoms, the gravity generator, and your satellite are not on the main power grid, so make sure to turn up output to max on those local SMESes so the doors do more damage when shocked.
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #54594

Oh yeah, don't release the singulo or sabotage power, because then shocked doors will be about as potent as a potency 1 banana.
Sad elegy
Somejerk
Byond Username: Somejerk

Post by Somejerk » #54607

Bolt down all the doors on your sat and have a borg dismantle the teleporter there and move the beacon out to space.

Anything else I could say has been said already.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #54608

Move ALL OF THE BEACONS. Bolt all of the doors except teleporter. Watch hilarity?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #54618

Whoisthere wrote:Oh yeah, don't release the singulo or sabotage power, because then shocked doors will be about as potent as a potency 1 banana.
More like don't release the singulo because due to its location and new speed it has a high chance of killing you.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #54630

DemonFiren wrote:Move ALL OF THE BEACONS. Bolt all of the doors except teleporter. Watch hilarity?
Move all beacons to the toxins burn chamber. Set the teleporter up, then bolt open the door. Impersonate someone dead saying you've hacked the teleporter open and it leads to the AI sat.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #54632

You are one evil bastard.

SHODAN/10 would try next malf round.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #54782

I refuse to believe that this is your first malf round.

To win, bolt your core behind the singularity so they can't get at it.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #55027

Pybro wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Move ALL OF THE BEACONS. Bolt all of the doors except teleporter. Watch hilarity?
Move all beacons to the toxins burn chamber. Set the teleporter up, then bolt open the door. Impersonate someone dead saying you've hacked the teleporter open and it leads to the AI sat.
I actually spaced captain with pinpointer + two-three other people that way as a malf borg. Crew knew the AI was in mining and the only way there was through the tele.
Sad elegy
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #57152

Be stealth.