Re: Non-existent RP

Post by confused rock » #516910

Bottom post of the previous page:

where it go
legality
Byond Username: Legality

Post by legality » #516916

Post Summer 2011 and 2012, admin policy started becoming more and more stringent with regards to non-antags killing and critting other players because of the influx of griefers and line-toers. Prior to then, a crewmember inflicting violence on trespassers in their department who were doing things they should not be doing (e.g. taking medkits from medkit storage without asking) was very common. If you entered robotics without permission and started taking the roboticist's tools in front of them, you could expect to be flashed, swiftly killed via surgical saw, debrained, and, if they were in a good mood, inserted into the borg they were making. If you entered chemistry and started making something without asking the chemist, you could expect a beaker of poly acid to be thrown in your face and your critted body tossed into the hallway. Started smashing things in botany? Their deathnettles would crit unarmored you in two hits.

Simpler times. Admin and coding philosophy started going in the (imo) wrong direction after that and they've never reversed.
ragevirus
Byond Username: Ragevirus

Post by ragevirus » #517086

I still think the best solution is to use one resource tg already has, excess server capacity, to address the issue.

There are a lot of us who would like to take the time to interact with crewmates, but it's hard when Gary Greyshirt just wants to do his own thing and doesn't give a fuck about departmental propriety. The problem is that people who only want to validhunt or do crazy shit with game mechanics are stuck on the same server with people who want to play out a round while also pretending to be spacemen. Not that there's anything wrong with validhunting, it's just not very conducive to the memorable interactions a lot of people look for in ss13.

Which brings me back to my original point. It's stupid that we have three US servers which are distinguishable by name only when the community is clearly divided along the RP spectrum. I maintain that designating servers for different levels of RP would lead to a better gameplay experience for people in every category.

I know that there are difficulties when it comes to creating an rp server. It's clear that will probably never happen at tg. So here's another idea. What if we label sybil 2 as a 'NO RP FUN ZONE' instead? Then people who want a crew vs antag deatchmatch would have their own server to powergame and go nuts. And we wouldn't need a bunch of new rules and administrators.

Hell maybe it could even be a rule free server. The fucking wild west where only the robust survive and Gary Greyshirt is king. Now that I think about it, that actually sounds better than a pure rp server.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #517156

I've played few rounds on /vg/ recently, having not played there in years, and it definitely feels like old /tg/. There's some whacky shit happening, but there's also no murderboner, no wanton grief and fucking shit up. And people actually put some effort, I had really fun IC interactions there. Like I was busting a drug den with a corgi, who reported to me, sec, that chemist doesn't use proper pill coloring or something. Then Captain came in, ate pill, and said they are alright. And then suddenly someone busted some hornet hives outside, and medbay got swarmed. Actual stuff was happening, not only people minmaxing their mechanics.

It could have been just a fluke, though.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #517385

oranges was calling you all zoomers
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #517407

You can't have RP if one of your most controversial rules allows people to grief others and kill bait them into conflict.

Why are the two assistants murdering each other? Why is that bartender getting toolboxed by that assistant?

Oh, shit cloning is gone and now revival isn't very easy to get? Ah well, Escalation will be Escalation.

The people that were going to RP get dunked on by burnt-out players who are looking for fun through being a light-antag.

You burn out the good sec players through escalation.

You burn out the admin team through escalation and you ruin RP through it.

That's the biggest thing that's killing /TG/ outside of no coder head admin to do rule changes when big coder overhauls are completed.
► Show Spoiler
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #517408

evreryone is stating the facts but noone actually acts
(nice rhyme eh)
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #517409

I mean I tried to run for headmin to deal with the issue

I did the biggest acts.
► Show Spoiler
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #517410

Tarchonvaagh wrote:evreryone is stating the facts but noone actually acts
(nice rhyme eh)
All we can do is rabble-rouse and try(in vain) to be the change we want to see. It's up to the headmins to hear our valid complaints and do something about it.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #517416

damn my post got deleted for being a shitpost

so i'll just repeat it

lot of boomers in here
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #517419

[youtube]si5Rcs6cglE[/youtube]
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #517424

having a "high rp" server will imply the other server is no rp. neither of these situations is ideal.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #517425

oranges wrote:damn my post got deleted for being a shitpost

so i'll just repeat it

lot of boomers in here
my b i thought this was a policy discussion thread
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #517427

bad thread except for the rule part lumber posted