Engineering Discoveries!

General SS13 Chat
FrostFenex

Engineering Discoveries!

Post by FrostFenex » #56397

I will be posting here all the discoveries I find while building my autistic builds
Today I attempted to build a mini space bar, which didnt get finished but led to some nice discoveries such as;
Spoiler:
*Catwalks while supporting wires will not let solar trackers or solar panels work if their build on them
*Even if 2 places are connected and have the same area name, the apc will not power all of it(possibly due to doors)
Today I built a mini singulo in the old singulo area and learned some things
Spoiler:
*stage one singulo while still producing radiation can not produce power as collectors have a threshold that must be reached to gen power
*It appears that SMES construction(might be in only new areas)must have their terminal built then deconstructed and built again(the SMES not the terminal for the SMES to start charging and to start sending output.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Re: Engineering Discoveries!

Post by mrpain » #56415

Cutting all the wires while tator tot engineer is fun.

I will report back with further findings.
/vg/station Head Admin
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #56451

IIRC there is a limit to how far the PA particles will travel and it depends on how much power the PA is set to produce (0,1,2,3).
I think at 3 the particles go like 20 tiles?
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #56460

Also we once tried to run two singularities using a single PA and they somehow died even though they were separated and couldn't eat each other.
Either because singulos actually eat the particles or because the containment field was too large.
Sad elegy
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #56464

I ask these of you not because I am lazy, but because I am not very good with the power sources on the station - I can set up the singularity and the solar arrays, but otherwise it's a bit beyond me.

- Is there a version of that mini Singulon engine that works? Like, the next size singularity up? If so, how well?
- Does adequate containment actually dictate the size of a singularity? I'm assuming so, since you had time to set up your singuluno there.
- Is there a quick and dirty auxillary power setup that cargo can whip up in case of engineering being gone? I know they have access to entire singularity engine equipment sets, but I was thinking something smaller.
- In regards to the supermatter shard engine... how does it work, from a /tg/ perspective? And if it just needs cooling, why can't we just put it and its collector, or whatever, in a sealed box in space?
- Probably the most important question... for each power source, is there a long-term stable state that can be made? Like, set up and forget?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #56469

Singulo is set up and forget in that as long as no-one sabotages it, it will provide power and won't get loose (PA set to 0 power, but on).
Supermatter needs atmosphere to provide power.
Can cargo get power cells easily? If so, I guess you can just build a new SMES which probably will come partially charged and will let you power the station. Either that or PACMAN if you have tons of plasma.
Sad elegy
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #56476

Whoisthere wrote:Singulo is set up and forget in that as long as no-one sabotages it, it will provide power and won't get loose (PA set to 0 power, but on).
Supermatter needs atmosphere to provide power.
Can cargo get power cells easily? If so, I guess you can just build a new SMES which probably will come partially charged and will let you power the station. Either that or PACMAN if you have tons of plasma.
Oh god. If the singularity really is stable at 0-On, then engineers in all those singularity-loose rounds are more to blame than I imagined.

Cooling the supermatter... I suppose you'd use a looped pump system, then? I know jack shit about atmos - it's the one job on station I just won't do - but if you could set up, say, a gas drainage pipe that runs through space long enough to cool the gas, and feeds right back into the room at the other end... or an improved refrigeration unit.

If batteries come to mind, then robotics is well-equipped to power the station. Print off the best batteries you can, replace the APC charges semi-regularly. It's not perfect, but it works. I'll have to look into PACMAN and SUPERPACMAN generators (is there a MRSPACMAN? I forget), because I've literally never used one in my 4 years+ of playing this game, and I don't know how efficiently they run/how much material they use.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #56513

FrostFenex wrote:*stage one singulo while still producing radiation can not produce power as collectors have a threshold that must be reached to gen power
Any idea what that threshold is? I've tried putting a bunch of collectors in the middle of a 5x5 room enclosed by uranium walls and it didn't produce squat.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56597

Collectors don't check for rads.
Collectors check for Singulo.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #56601

There's an idea for a cool update, make the singulo actually give off (more) radiation, and make the collectors actually check for radiation. Hence, uranium walls can be put to a use other than killing people at Escape.
RIP
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56612

Exactly that is what people (read: devs) don't want.
Free energy.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #56631

It's not free if people have to dig it up / build it / build a containment wall so people without radsuits don't get fried.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #56633

Whoisthere wrote:Also we once tried to run two singularities using a single PA and they somehow died even though they were separated and couldn't eat each other.
Either because singulos actually eat the particles or because the containment field was too large.
I have tried to set up a 5 singulo engine with a single PA and what I discovered was that you can't even maintain two singularities with a single PA. To keep the second singularity fed, you need to keep the PA at 2, which means the first singulo will eventually grow and consume everything.

So one PA per singulo is the way to go.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #56639

DemonFiren wrote:Free energy.
Like the solars, amirite
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56647

Yeah, only more...

...I don't know, I don't have the mind of a dev.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56656

Saegrimr wrote:
Like the solars, amirite
A new mission for telescience. We farm the sun directly.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56668

...and figure out the sun is basically a huge-ass RUST.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #56671

cedarbridge wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:
Like the solars, amirite
A new mission for telescience. We farm the sun directly.
Replace the singularity by teleporting a chunk of THE SUN into it.
Harness THE SUN in its place, and when it escapes it just ashes everything it runs through while igniting everything surrounding it.
SUN CHUNKS.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56674

Just teleport Princess Celestia in.

Fuelled by player rage.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
rook

Post by rook » #56686

Spoiler:
if you throw part of the PA out of an airlock as traitor nobody will find it.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56692

Can't Cargo just order a new one?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #56705

DemonFiren wrote:Exactly that is what people (read: devs) don't want.
Free energy.
Solars are already free energy. At least a uranium wall has some danger to it. It'd be fine as long as the power gain wasn't as much as an average singularity (which already gives off too much power to begin with).

The real reason it hasn't been done is because radiation isn't coded that well, so it's hard to expand to other things.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
rook

Post by rook » #56708

DemonFiren wrote:Can't Cargo just order a new one?
yeah but the initial panic is hilarious and most inexperienced engineers have no idea what to do.
FrostFenex

Post by FrostFenex » #56743

I made a Space Hockey Rink, for reasons of autism
Spoiler:
*The crew is not canadian and does not enjoy space hockey
*Why isn't there a slippery tile yet?
*I didn't actually discover anything I just wanted to share
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #56747

Why do you keep centering your text?
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #56877

FrostFenex wrote:Why isn't there a slippery tile yet?
in before someone sets up a curling sheet in the hallways using space lube instead of ice and assistants for stones
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #57827

Screemonster wrote:
FrostFenex wrote:Why isn't there a slippery tile yet?
in before someone sets up a curling sheet in the hallways using space lube instead of ice and assistants for stones
Lube it all up boys, we got this going.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #57844

Make it into a slip-and-slide speedy transportation system, the kind cargo can set up if atmos isn't paying attention with their pipes.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #57864

I'm just going to repost these....
----------------------------------------------------------------
Radiation Collectors consume 0.001 moles of plasma per game tick
A standard plasma tank has 8.73464 moles of plasma
A filled tank contains 29.1154 moles of plasma

So ([moles] / [drainrate]) * [tickrate of 1.8] gives us:
Standard tank: 4.36732 HOURS before depletion
Filled tank: 14.5577 HOURS before depletion.

But what about nominal power?
With the way the singularity engine works anything past the amount the SMESes can absorb is wasted, so at max input that's 600,000 watts.
Per collector, the amount of power produced is:
[moles] * [singularity energy] * 20
For the sake of simplicity we'll take the singularity energy as 500 as that's where it usually hovers about with the PAC set to on:0
To achieve nominal power input each collector needs to produce 100,000 watts (as theres six of them as standard)
So the minimum amount of moles required per tank for the engine to function at nominal efficiency is:
100,000 / 20 / 500 = 10 moles
A standard tank (304 kPa) isn't enough for nominal efficiency, you'd need the tanks to be above 348 kPa for that

A filled tank, which is 29.1154 moles, has a surplus of 19.1154 moles.
It will take 9.5577 HOURs for this surplus to be consumed.

The stage 3 singularity (purple) itself will dissipate more energy than it receives from a PAC set to On:0

So in conclusion, once the tanks are filled up Engies really can piss off to the bar and get wasted. (the singularity sucks as a game mechanic, literally and figuratively)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I did the super chilled plasma in the collectors thing

1.20248e+007W in power network.

Notice that is says +007 instead of +006 as it usually does.
Each collector was outputting 1.9397e+006W each, that's more than normal total output of a room temperature six collector array outputs.

And I still didn't die from shocking myself with that much power - WTF
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #57867

You used to be able to instacrit people if you connected the singularity to the main grid. (Power cables from collectors into main station power cables) Not sure if its still possible but its fun to screw around with.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #57875

Nope, it's not possible. Shocking yourself deals burn damage to one of your body parts (forgot which one), but the burn damage cap on that body part is below 100, so if you are perfectly healthy it is literally impossible to go into crit from a single shock, no matter how high the charge on the power grid is.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #57881

What about shocking yourself on grilles?
Sad elegy
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #57887

Same mechanic, same story.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #57893

Upgrading SMES with better capacitors and power cells is usually quite helpful, but, usually not necessary, even solely the solars provide enough power for the station

However, regarding SMES, the regular SMES in engineering provide power to the emitters preventing the singularity from escaping, and if they are gone, or even a SINGLE WIRE cut from powering those emitters, that singularity gonna get released

So, every engineer whose not a complete tool, should either ensure the singularity is wired into the grid, ensuring it cannot be freed by lack of power, or wire the backup SMES in electrical maint which will provide the same function

Not really a discovery, but, simple things like this have prevented the singularity getting loose many times when Ive been engineer
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #59145

Malkevin wrote:So I did the super chilled plasma in the collectors thing

Each collector was outputting 1.9397e+006W each, that's more than normal total output of a room temperature six collector array outputs.

holy tits I just tried this for myself, you weren't kidding.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #59669

Screemonster wrote:
Malkevin wrote:So I did the super chilled plasma in the collectors thing

holy tits I just tried this for myself, you weren't kidding.
This is pretty interesting! This means you could run a stage 2 singlo and still get easily enough power.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #59676

You get that anyway
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #59679

I'm posting this here and not the Simple Questions thread, because it's not a simple question and pertains to an aspect of the game associated primarily with engineering.

Is it possible to use a supermatter shard as The Best Mining Charge?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #59681

It is, hypothetically.

If you want to trip on mindbreaker and take a fuckton of radloss.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #59792

DemonFiren wrote:It is, hypothetically.

If you want to trip on mindbreaker and take a fuckton of radloss.
The delivery method is important, though. I don't know how the shard is transported, or how it arrives, what effects it has, how it can be safely handled etc.

Logic dictates that you teleport that bastard/send a VTEC cyborg to drag its container into place, but I don't know if that's even possible. My knowledge is literally limited to the boom.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #59793

You can MULE shards, but you have to prime them first by blasting them a bit.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: