Petty crimes on Manuel: The Rise of the RP-Sec

General SS13 Chat
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Petty crimes on Manuel: The Rise of the RP-Sec

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #543390

Playing security on a server which doesn't allow greytiding can be soulcrushing at times.
And thus, I realized what we need:
More Petty (but not rulebreaking) Crimes Committed by the crew! This would give sec something to do, and if someone plays his cards right, even the Detective would get a case to work on!
this would include, but not be limited to:
-forgery (like faking the HoP's signature to get, dunno, more stuff?)
-bribery (that same pesky HoP refused to give you access to maintenance because whatever? Surely 500 credits will change his mind!)
-petty theft (stamps, action figures, etc)
-kidnapping (with consent, of course. Like, two assistants team up to play out a hostage situation. this could be easier with LOOC... hm....)
-minor vandalism (noone will notice these crayon runes in maint, right?)
-smuggling (the hos has a crippling drug addiction and only YOU can help!)
-founding a cult i guess? (:s hos, the chaplain and his followers are drawing runes in the cremator, and apparently they sacrificed a living monkey!)
-illegal maint fight club
Spoiler:

Thoughts?
Last edited by Tarchonvaagh on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Re: Petty crimes on Manuel: The Rise of the RP-Sec

Post by Flatulent » #543391

werent you a proponent of gulagging assistants for petty crimes since hurr durr chaos and shit
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #543393

Flatulent wrote:werent you a proponent of gulagging assistants for petty crimes since hurr durr chaos and shit
on non rp servers yes
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #543457

lol it went full circle
YuiY1997
Byond Username: YuiY1997

Post by YuiY1997 » #543505

Tarchonvaagh wrote:
Flatulent wrote:werent you a proponent of gulagging assistants for petty crimes since hurr durr chaos and shit
on non rp servers yes
this is entirely reaosnable you should treat the crew like dangerous animals on every server but manuel because they are
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #543537

?
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #543580

Security hated the greytide, only to realise they needed the greytide to survive.

Just like greys would be lost without valid-hunting sec officers to give meaning to their nonsense.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #543599

whoever invented the term greytide should be shot and killed. it used to mean assistants attacking the grid but now it's become a nebulous term used to refer to a bogeyman that mostly no longer exists
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #543600

This thread sucks.
cacogen wrote:whoever invented the term greytide should be shot and killed. it used to mean assistants attacking the grid but now it's become a nebulous term used to refer to a bogeyman that mostly no longer exists
Incorrect. It used to refer to a shit load of people going assistant to fuck around all round. I can't remember why but it was bad. It now refers to an assistant being a shithead for no reason (Stealing things, B&E, baiting sec into attacking them, etc.)
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #543603

nope it was them attacking the brig
and now it's become a nebulous term used mostly to refer to a bogeyman that no longer exists
NSFW:

XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #543612

The original bogeyman may no longer exist but the term is alive and well, with the meaning Vekter explained. Words can change meaning over time.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #543628

yeah i moved the word mostly in my sentence to change its meaning i still hardly ever see this behaviour in comparison to the amount i hear about it
NSFW:

Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #543663

aw
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #543676

I tide but im sneaky and never get caught
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #543703

Greytide was a term coined when an update caused everyone's job preferences to reset so something like 90% of the server joined as assistants, when Primary Tool Storage was the spawn point for every assistant so a riot started almost immediately.

And a meme was born
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #543813

No yeah it was a thing even without that bug. Assistants spawned in primary tool storage only and would spawn on top of each other in stacks of 5, so they would spill out of tool storage like a non-stop tide.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #545114

Y'all remember RAINBOW tide?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #545133

i thought that was the term for the change that paprika made to make assistants spawn in different coloured jumpsuits to somehow discourage greytiding. we still have it
NSFW:

Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #545138

cacogen wrote:i thought that was the term for the change that paprika made to make assistants spawn in different coloured jumpsuits to somehow discourage greytiding. we still have it
gaytide flows a lot better for that term imo
the reason it was enabled was to make sec's lives slightly easier. finding grey jumpsuit fibers on the emagged captain's door doesn't really tell a detective much if there's 20 assistants, but if the assistant hasnt bothered switching jumpsuits having blue jumpsuit fibers narrows down the list quite a bit.
one time i saw a detective catch a tider who had broken into armory at roundstart by going into the dorms and opening the grey locker, where the assistant was too lazy to put his original jumpsuit into the mixed wardrobe and then found his prints on that. it was pretty impressive
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
Jegub
Byond Username: Jegub
Github Username: jegub

Post by Jegub » #546011

Something I've not seen in many years and was surprised to realise I missed is sting operations.
The best one I remember was when the sec team recruited an assistant to mooch for space drugs. I had enough spare energy so he gets his diversion, but seems he had a wire because next moment a full sec squad peels into medbay and off I go to do my time for aiding in the delinquency of the station.

It could go too far the other way - having to try for omnizine in the back room of Hydro so that a bored detective wouldn't take you away for 'possessing narcotics' and leave all your plants to die got a bit tiring - but it's interesting to me how priorities and attitudes to fictional recreationals have shifted over time.

Anyway, chem and botany have plenty which would be easy game in that respect, possibly you could even go full FBI a la The Day Shall Come. Beyond that I guess having some enforcable/finable departmental rules generally could encourage RP, give sec something to do, and promote best practice working standards.

Getting things balanced right so that it wasn't a license to annoy other players or worse yet discouraged experimentation would be both critical and difficult but it seems to me like an area with untapped potential.